A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Pocket knives on trains

Mar Oregon

Camino(s) past & future
Hoping to walk in 2020
I think I read that the train systems in Spain require passengers to go through security check points before boarding a train. Correct? And I think I also read somewhere that you may bring a folding knife on board a train as long as you declare it before your bags are scanned/checked. Otherwise it can be confiscated. Is this correct?

Can anyone tell me if there are restrictions on the length of blades that are allowed on trains or other locations. I’m not planning to bring a Crocodile Dundee version nor one with a locking blade but I was given a small Swiss knife and would rather not lose it. I just want to be able to slice an apple or cut some cheese.

Reactions: Sho

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)
I don't think that I have always gone through a security scan when boarding a train in Spain, but I certainly did when boarding the high-speed train from Madrid to Seville. I had a knife, a mid-size one, to be able to slice bread with. The security person was, however, preoccupied with making me take my shirt off (it was a long-sleeved shirt undone over a t-shirt, so he saw it as a jacket). He was not looking at my bag when it went through the scanner, so I guess that he did not see the knife. If it had been confiscated, I would just have bought another in a hardware store in Seville. In my experience trains generally stop in locations which contain a hardware store. Actually, I think that I bought my knife, very cheap, in a China store (like a dollar store, and even more ubiquitous than hardware stores). Good luck with this, as I cannot give you any precise information about the regulations for scanning, except that you might have to take your shirt off.

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Seven Compostelas in Three years and counting......
Never had a problem with a pocket knife on any trains in Europe. Though sometimes checked, never stopped. Same with ferries. I think, if you have a pocket knife with a rucksack and gear they don't bother. I think it would be different if you were wearing say jeans, had a skinhead, and drinking super strength lager. My point is that they 'understand' why you have the knife and let it go. The UK chunnel (channel tunnel) does the same. Keep it in your rucksack not in your pocket.

As Albertagirl says above, if you lose it, just get another one.

Davey

Ant

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2014
Norte & Ingles 2015
Mozarabe & VDLP 2016
Portuguese 2017
Levante/VDLP/Salvador/Prim2018
Definitely no knives on Eurostar trains

Deana

Camino(s) past & future
Planning my first
I went through the scanner at Barcelona to Pamplona had a Swiss army knife and a small pairing knife all was ok nobody said anything

Camino(s) past & future
Camino France, Camino del Norte, Camino de Madrid
Last year, my daughter carried a small utility knife in her backpack. We were on the highspeed train 8 times (Praha, Berlin, Paris, and the rest in Spain). Passed the security scan each time but never had a problem.

martyseville

Camino(s) past & future
a/a
The higher security check point for Spanish trains is the AVE runs. But, of course can have security checks anywhere these days.

Never had a problem taking small knife, including recently a gift steak knife, on any Spanish train or bus.

If catching the AVE recommend showing up little earlier for departure.

The departure point for all trains out of, I know Seville and Madrid, is a point for that particular train. Regardless of type of train. Must show ticket to go towards the train for boarding.

But the scanning of bags, packs, purses, etc is done for the AVE.

Geodoc

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (crossed Pyrenees then Sarria to SdC) 2018, Frances & Ingles Summer, 2019.
Definitely no knives on Eurostar trains
We rode the Eurostar from London to Paris - I had my Swiss Army Knife, and they were absolutely cool with it (I guess they just don't want fixed/locking blades).

Delphinoula

Camino(s) past & future
Camino PdC 2018 Finisterre Muxía 2018
C Franconia 2019
Camino desde Algeciras Sevillia (2019)
Depending on the current thread situation they may they may not. Kitchen knifes are easily to get in Spain. Never had a problem with a small light swiss Army knife one blade a corkscrew a srew driver.

Theresa Brandon

Artist, photographer, dreamer
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Inglés (2018)
I was carrying daggers from Toledo and tried a tip I read online - I wrapped them up in a gift box with wrapping paper (I used a map!). I also put my pocket knives/leathermen in with them. Didn't have a problem running it through the scanner. I told myself that I wasn't going to get upset if they did get confiscated, even if they were intended as souvenirs.

Camino(s) past & future
2017-Sarria to Santiago and Lires to Finisterre
Wow, so they finally started running people through security in Europe for trains? I guess I haven't been on a European train since 2015, but I was always amazed that there were no security checks whatsoever on any train journey I ever took anywhere in Europe. I assume the incident in I believe France changed all of that?

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF x2, CPL
Security took my little Opinel knife off me before boarding the Channel tunnel train in London.
They kindly offered to post it to me in Paris at cost of €18.
Very generous of them as it had only cost €6 in St Jean the previous year.
I left it with them and bought another in Paris.
Regards
Gerard

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and beyond (own way - voie de Tours - camino francés - Biskaya - Manche)
I think I read that the train systems in Spain require passengers to go through security check points before boarding a train. Correct? And I think I also read somewhere that you may bring a folding knife on board a train as long as you declare it before your bags are scanned/checked. Otherwise it can be confiscated. Is this correct?

Can anyone tell me if there are restrictions on the length of blades that are allowed on trains or other locations. I’m not planning to bring a Crocodile Dundee version nor one with a locking blade but I was given a small Swiss knife and would rather not lose it. I just want to be able to slice an apple or cut some cheese.
Your question is about pocket knives: knives that are foldable and cannot be locked. I don’t know the actual rules in Spain. I frequently travel with a Swiss Army knife with a 5 cm blade which are also allowed in cabine luggage on planes in Europe. I’ve passed through security checks at train stations in Spain a few times in recent years and there was never an issue.

Eurostar has a limit of 7,5 cm for foldable and not lockable pocket knives.

In France, knives must be wrapped up and remain in the luggage as I understand the rules. I wouldn’t dare to take out my pocket knife on a French train to cut my baguette fromage et jambon.

No security checks on German long distance fast trains as far as I know.

Rules about carrying knives in general are different from country to country.

It‘s my understanding that the security checks at Spanish train stations were introduced because of what happened in 2004.

Last edited:

cbacino

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte - Primitivo (2018)
Via Francigena (2017)
Appalachian Trail (2016)

Took the train Santiago to Madrid; no security check.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" Camino
but 2019?
Took the train Santiago to Madrid; no security check.
Took the train from Santiago to Ferrol last May. Arrived at the station - no security staff so went and sat on platform with several others. 15 minutes before the train was due we were all turfed off the platform and our luggage scanned before we were allowed back again. I've also been scanned at Palencia but never had my Opinel confiscated.

mikebet

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Pamplona (2016); Baiona to Santiago (2018); Sarria to Santiago (2018)
No problem on Renfe. Like Theresa, I bought a pretty lethal-looking souvenir dagger in Toledo -- they sell them everywhere there, swords, too -- and put it in my carry-on bag. No problem. I had asked at a shop if there were any restrictions, and was told that as long as it was in the original box and obviously a souvenir nobody would care. My Swiss Army knife also passed on the train X-ray from Madrid to Ourense and back, and from Madrid to Toledo and back.

Delphinoula

Camino(s) past & future
Camino PdC 2018 Finisterre Muxía 2018
C Franconia 2019
Camino desde Algeciras Sevillia (2019)
Took the train from Seville to Jerez no controls.

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
No problem on Renfe. Like Theresa, I bought a pretty lethal-looking souvenir dagger in Toledo -- they sell them everywhere there, swords, too -- and put it in my carry-on bag. No problem. I had asked at a shop if there were any restrictions, and was told that as long as it was in the original box and obviously a souvenir nobody would care. My Swiss Army knife also passed on the train X-ray from Madrid to Ourense and back, and from Madrid to Toledo and back.
My son also bought a nice knife in Toledo after our Camino. It was his main purchase on his trip to Spain. When we went to get on the train from Valencia to Madrid the evening before our flight home, they confiscated it. There was no way they were letting him on the train with it, and no option to check it with staff in any way. The alternative was to write off our train tickets (and miss our flight home) if we went to try and post it because we weren't told this until boarding time.

They said that if we had kept the original receipt it would have been okay. But who thinks to keep receipts from all of your purchases. It's not like having a receipt makes it less deadly or as if terrorists are incapable of keeping receipts.

It was a very disappointing way for my teenage son to end his trip to Spain.

(They said that it was going to a particular police station and I wrote it down to follow up when we got home, but it was a dead end. That police station was unconnected with station security and had no record of ever receiving the knife.)

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 146 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 248 25.2%