A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Portico de la Gloria recovers its magnificence after ten years of restoration .

Advertisment

Advertisment

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Probably just you and 300,000+ close friends this year @SabineP Hope you are not too lonely :)
hehe Was in Santiago in April . Guess I will see enough porticos and churches when visiting Ireland in August.
The simplicity and quietness of these places have a much greater appeal to me than the cathedral.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Many of the colours are clearly too muted, on the clothing and on the decorative non-figurative elements especially, but I must say that the work on the faces and so on is very good indeed, perhaps not perfect, but an excellent compromise between what was originally and what is expected now, including a sort of "patina" of age, no matter how artificial.

But of course, this sort of restoration work is extraordinarily expensive, and one has to remember that as far as the external walls are concerned, it's quite possible that no trace at all remains of the layer that was painted at the time, so that there is literally nothing left, not even a trace, of those original designs whether figurative or text.

All in all, I definitely prefer a restoration like this that is conservatively executed and muted instead of some bolder style that might be closer conceptually to the original colours, but perhaps overly distant from what is known of those colours as such.

The restoration certainly makes the Portico more beautiful in any case !!

Devon Mike

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Finisterre & Muxia (2014, 2015, 2016 & 2018), Primitivo & Ingles (2017)
I will be back in SdC towards the end of August, so it will be interesting to see the west front of the Cathedral without scaffolding and also to see what I can of the Portico of Glory. Back in 2014 I went in through this entrance and got to touch the column where pilgrims have put their hand for centuries.

jmcarp

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
After the reports and photos of the botched "restoration" in Estella, this is welcome news. Wish I could be there.

Bala

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (SJPdP-Burgos, 2015)
Camino Frances (Burgos-Sarria, 2018)
Sarria-Santiago (fall 2018)
This is so beautiful. I hope to see it in person this October.

I don't think I've ever seen a medieval cathedral with its colors restored. Are there others? France? Italy? Other parts of Spain?

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future

peregrina2000

Staff member
Donating Member

Kanga

Staff member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata.
Well, from the photos it looks amazing. I'm longing to see it in person.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2017
I land at Santiago on 8 July. Plan to attend an evening Mass on Sunday. Will DEFINITELY make a stop to see and photograph the Portico. As I will be there for some six weeks in all (month volunteering at the Pilgrim Office and week +/- as tour guide for spouse), I will go back to soak it all up.

I managed to see it in 2013 on my first Camino. Of course, the rails were set so one could not get close enough to touch the pillar or place one's hand in the worn recess, as in "that movie." After 2013, the renovations to the Portico started and the areas has been covered these past four plus years.

Only 8 days to go until departure! Yippee (or 'Joepie' in Dutch/Flemish)...;)

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
BTW, the embedded video in the La Voz article is FABULOUS! it is great to see the colors back on the statues the way they were likely originally done, and not like a garish burlesque performer.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Aug 2016-Oct(2016); Leon-Sarria, Ourense to SdC May (2017)
This is so beautiful. I hope to see it in person this October.

I don't think I've ever seen a medieval cathedral with its colors restored. Are there others? France? Italy? Other parts of Spain?
Hola!
Last year I visited the Catedral de Ourense during my Camino Sanabres where there is a fantastic Portico de la Gloria. The cathedral doesn't look like much from the outside, but one of the most beautiful I've seen inside. Worth a visit!!! Ultreia!

Tom Vickers

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1993 and 2002) Fonseca (2006). Primitivo Sept 2016. Muxia/Fisterra Sept 2016. VDLP (2017)
Leaving for Spain on Monday 2nd July to walk San Salvador, Primitivo and Fisterra. Looking forward to seeing cathedral at SDC without scaffolding.

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014 & 2015 ) ,Via San Francesco, Italy (2017 )
Camino Portugese (2018 )
I will be back in SdC towards the end of August, so it will be interesting to see the west front of the Cathedral without scaffolding and also to see what I can of the Portico of Glory. Back in 2014 I went in through this entrance and got to touch the column where pilgrims have put their hand for centuries.
By October of 2014 it was all closed off. I did sneak past the barriers, but could not get close enough to touch the column and I was shooed out by the security after taking a few photos between the scaffolding. I walk again this fall and hope to see it all!

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and the Portico of Glory will await your return. They have been there for nearly 1,000 years. They are not going anywhere any time soon.

Camino(s) past & future
May 13, 2015
hehe Was in Santiago in April . Guess I will see enough porticos and churches when visiting Ireland in August.
The simplicity and quietness of these places have a much greater appeal to me than the cathedral.
Sabine, when and where will you be in Ireland in August. My husband and I will be in Ireland from August 16-24.

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Sabine, when and where will you be in Ireland in August. My husband and I will be in Ireland from August 16-24.
Already back home then.Will visit the Burren, Connemara and Dublin.

Camino(s) past & future
May 13, 2015
Sounds great! We’re going to Dublin, Bunratty, Cliffs of Moher, uptheough Donagal, then flying from Londonderry to Scotland.

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 26 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 94 15.9%
  • May

Votes: 154 26.0%
  • June