• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiagio in May: Alexwalker and Jurgen

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
My Jurgen friend and I plan for a couple of days in Lisboa first: Then bus to Porto for a couple of days; and then on the road to ScD, We will take it slow; no rush to get there. 'I have printed out ohe CSJ free guide and will use that on the way. We'll have a couple of strong sticks for dog protection, and then we'll see how it will work out. We start at the end of April. I suspect Finisterre/Muxia will be on our plan as well? Will arrive in SdC about May 20th.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Stephen,
Thanks! I read some of your website: Not bad at all (I am/was a Computer Engineer).
Do not be discouraged that you had to "throw in the towel" on VdPlata last year: Jurgen and I walked from Salamanca and to SdC in that same month of May - There were a few times we wanted to quit: The weather was horrible all the way; rain and wind. EVERY day, except 2 days in the very end. On the highest mountain pass we had a snow blizzard for 1 hour. Luckily there was a hotel with a bar right over the top: We stayed there for 2 hours :lol:
23 days of walking in total: 19 days of wind and rain, 2 days of wind and snow, and 2 days partly clouded. I never used my shorts on the whole trip. And this was MAY 2012!!!

PS: By judging the photo of your feet, your only option was to stop walking. We often met a 3rd man (old) who we frequently had to help with plastering and warming up his feet, but who eventually had to stop only 60 kms from Santiago and go straight to hospital, with bleeding wounds on both feet. He got the Compostela in SdC, though, when he explained what had happened, and actually showed them his feet!

I was originally considering starting from Lisboa, but after reading a few posts here, Porto will be our starting point. Just walking slow, not be tempted by 30 kms/day, but live "in the mood" if you understand.

BTW: It is not a good idea to ask people to download .doc files: They may be a source of virus to people. If you get them converted to .pdf, then they are safe to download and read for everyone.

PS: Stephen, thanks for nice photos: It seems that at least from Porto, the waymarking is very good? DS:

Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Then it's settled: Jurgen and I will team up in Lisboa on April 26th. Spend 2-3 days in Lisboa (touristing), then a bus to Porto, stay a little there and then start walking. From Santiago we go by bus to relax in Finisterre for a few days, then starting our journey home: He to Germany, I to Norway.

All as a result of becoming camino friends on the VdlP last year, struggling together and finally reaching SdC after 3 weeks of walking in rain and snow (!) last May...

The Camino is indeed a rewarding journey...

I personally like Porto much more then Lisbon but thats no matter-Lisbon is much bigger and hopefully by May the many many homeless have left-during winter and early spring the city is often infested with beggars, louts, and never-do-wells from all over Europe since the weather is much more pleasant. Do look for one of the locals, he may be found floating 30 centimeters above the pavement in the nicer downtown areas. Well worth an Euro to help him out.
http://frankmilburn.blogspot.co.il/2011/09/lisbon-street-performer.html
S

And now for The real reason I wanted to write: in Lisbon I heartily recommend the "Lisbon Poets Hostel" very friendly staff, clean, central, free breakfast, kitchen etc..true there are other friendly clean places in Lisbon however the Lisbon Poets place also has a sister/brother hostel in Porto which gives a nice discount if you are coming from the other place. Find it here
http://www.lisbonpoetshostel.com/
located next to the statue of Passoa on Rua Nova da Trinidade in Chiado
Bom Caminho

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
HI,
I plan to walk from Porto to Santiago from mid April to June, however long it takes me. I walked it before in 2010 and I want to revisit my many friends along the way. I also hope to make new friends too. I love the "way less traveled".

Hi Alex and Jurgen,

Me and my wife are going to start on May 11 from Porto and reach SDC on May 20, 2013. I think we will have a lot of chances to say “Buen Camino” to each other. God bless you and good luck!

Sincerely,
Oleg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Dear all, I have not stayed at this place myself, but I just had a pilgrim in my office telling me about a really bad experience here. Bad enough that I feel I should let people know. Doing a...
I just heard from José Luis of the Via Lusitana that they have opened a pilgrim office in Lisbon. It only opens in the afternoons — every day, from 2:30 PM to 6:00 PM. It is a small room in the...
Last night the skies over the Camino Portugués lit up in the most incredible way. It was a mystery to me until I saw the headlines this morning that a meteor had flown overhead. Did anybody else...
Hello, I am walking the Portuguese Central starting in Porto on July 24. I have read that many people consider the first day out of Porto to be unpleasant because it is too much in the city...
Hello! My sister and I are planning to start our Camino de Santiago journey in Porto. We fly in on the 6th at 4:35. Would we be able to walk into an albergue around 5 or 5:30 and find a spot to...
I'm wondering if anyone on the Portuguese Camino saw the meteor last Saturday? Link...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back