• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cotton blend socks

falconbrother

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
We fly out in 4 days. I’ve tried major branded socks, three brands, and can’t wear wool. It feels hot and makes my feet hurt for three or four days after. Walking in cotton blend toe socks.. I must be allergic to the wool.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We fly out in 4 days. I’ve tried major branded socks, three brands, and can’t wear wool. It feels hot and makes my feet hurt for three or four days after. Walking in cotton blend toe socks.. I must be allergic to the wool.
Cotton is not ideal.

You could try a silk liner sock under your merino socks, or a double-layer sock with a Tactel inner layer and merino outer layer.

More likely you’re allergic to the dressing on the wool. Two washes before you wear usually does it.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Instead of defaulting to cotton give socks made from Coolmax a trial run; they have moisture wicking capabilities.

The quick read:

Just about everything about Coolmax you'll want to know:

Last edited:
I have worn this model of synthetic Wigwam socks on all of my Caminos and walks at home. I have four original pairs and they still seem to have lots of wear in them. I do also have a pair of Darn Tough wool socks and although robust, they make my feet feel too warm, and somewhat scratchy.
Screenshot_20240520-185625~2.pngScreenshot_20240520-184844~2.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola @falconbrother you are, imho, asking the best question. foot protection is probably the most important feature of a successful Camino. From my perspective it’s a personal choice, what do You prefer? I have over that past 10 years become a two sock pilgrim: a thin “toe sock” liner sock and a thicker outer sock. (Note toe socks are one with individual toe positions for each toe, again my opinion but they go a long way to prevent toe blisters): but which fabric? One that wears well, is comfortable, washes easier and dries quicker. So man made fabrics are more likely to fit the bill.

I have no connection to company but can recommend Stance socks, a mixture of cotton and polyester , no seams and I don’t get itchy feel like I do with some of the merino socks.

They can be expensive , but the sore feet can spoilt a great adventure

I have no connection to company but can recommend Stance socks, a mixture of cotton and polyester , no seams and I don’t get itchy feel like I do with some of the merino socks.

They can be expensive , but the sore feet can spoilt a great adventure
I'm going with new-ish versions of the socks I've been hiking in for years. Tested and tried.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Instead of defaulting to cotton try socks made from Coolmax which has moisture wicking capabilities.

My favourites. Best ones for me

Darn Tough makes a cool max no wool hiking sock in different weights . ill be using with cool max toe sock liners to begin my June Camino. Buen Camino !

Sucks if the last bit is true, and whilst cotton socks should generally be avoided by pilgrims and by long-distance hikers in principle, you may be one of the exceptions to that rule.

Everyone's footwear issues and the solutions they need are unique to each single person.
I'm going with new-ish versions of the socks I've been hiking in for years. Tested and tried.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am allergic to anything wool. It doesn’t matter how many washes I do the wool still irritates my skin. I find the CoolMax socks are great. Injinji even make some.

Cotton socks are fine, they just take a little longer to dry on a line. You just won't look as cool with a pair hanging from your backpack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

In a quandry about whether to wear my hiking sandals or leather hiking boots on the Camino.
My daughter is coming with me and wondering if a 2-piece swimsuit is appropriate, or if she needs a 1-piece. Suggestions?
Hi everyone I'm really having problems with planning what to pack for my walk from SJPP during mid March. From what I understand the Napolean route will still be closed? And the big headache is...
I'm currently refining my packing list for the Camino Frances, starting in SJPDP on September 24, and walking through to the end of October/beginning of November. While I understand that the...
Any places to grab some before/during the Camino Frances? Don't think I'll be able to grab any in advance.
I will be finishing the first half of the Norte in about 3 days and then transferring to the Primitivo. I have a couple of blisters that my hiking boots just seemed to keep rubbing on and I think...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.