• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Post Camino hair cut

Hiawatha

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean Pied de Port - Finisterra 2017
GR70 France 2018
Via Francigena 2019
A small thing but certainly important for my reintroduction to the post Camino world .
After thirty four odd days on the Frances and a further week to and in Finisterra I was looking a little like a Wooki .
Men of a ' certain age ' tend to sprout hair in peculiar places , so much so that the average ' salon ' staff reel away in horror .
I was fortunate and found a unisex hairdressers that is ' old-school ' no fuss and exceptionally caring .
In a galleria / arcade on the way to the railway station in Santiago, Beymar Peluquerias, Plaza De Galicia Santiago. About ten minutes walk from the Cathedral and just past the Santandar bank building .
9 Euro saw Benedidito transform me from a bushman into an acceptable representation of a human .
Obviously I have no connection to this , I'm just happy I wasn't forced to sit amongst ' Hipsters ' sneering at the fossil in the chair and then having to pay 30 Euro for the privilege .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Men of a ' certain age ' tend to sprout hair in peculiar places , so much so that the average ' salon ' staff reel away in horror .

My very small town in west Wales now has two Turkish barber shops. A couple of weeks ago I visited one and had an incredibly thorough going-over which included eyebrows, nose and ear hair. The hair sprouting from my ears was burned off using a very long cotton wool swab dipped in alcohol then set alight - a novel and slightly alarming experience!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My very small town in west Wales now has two Turkish barber shops. A couple of weeks ago I visited one and had an incredibly thorough going-over which included eyebrows, nose and ear hair. The hair sprouting from my ears was burned off using a very long cotton wool swab dipped in alcohol then set alight - a novel and slightly alarming experience!

Yes but very effective !
Palmolive industries recently suspended production of its shave cream stick in Australia . This was a disaster for me ,as apart from being environmentaly irresponsible the pathetic aerosol spray soaps just won't work on my barbed wire whiskers. I found a Turkish brand of stick soap so good that I do wonder how I ever did without it . I shaved every single day of my Camino and the new stick I started with is less than half used .
No one excells at barbershop practices as well as the Turks .

I am an aficionado of Spanish barber shops. I first realized that dropping in for a 4-euro beard trim obviated the need to carry a beard-trimmer in my pack. I seemed to frequent old-style barbers, some of whom had done their military service as barbers in the days of conscription, and they appeared amused and pleased to have a pilgrim to work on.

In threads long-gone by, I referred to a retired Scottish naval officer who took much pleasure in the straight-edge razor shaves barbers gave him on the Camino. He said that they were very competent at this tricky business, and he very much enjoyed meeting people in these contexts, who gave him great advice on the route. He said that in his native Edinburgh, he would not have gone to a barber's shop and received quite as many hugs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Second or third generation barber at a reasonable price. He gives straight razor shaves, too. No English spoken, but he remembered me from a visit two years ago!

Campos

Av. de Rosalía de Castro, 46, 15701 Santiago de Compostela, La Coruña, Spain
+34 981 59 79 22

I used to visit Kusadasi, Turkey for work every 24 days, a perfect spacing for trips to the Barber there. For 6€ we got a haircut, straight razor shave, face waxing, fire balling of the ears, a hand-arm-shoulder-neck-scalp massage and all the apple tea you could drink... I ask everyone here in Canada if they do fire balling but something about not wanting to be sued is the answer I keep getting. I really, really miss those days...!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am an aficionado of Spanish barber shops. I first realized that dropping in for a 4-euro beard trim obviated the need to carry a beard-trimmer in my pack. I seemed to frequent old-style barbers, some of whom had done their military service as barbers in the days of conscription, and they appeared amused and pleased to have a pilgrim to work on.

In threads long-gone by, I referred to a retired Scottish naval officer who took much pleasure in the straight-edge razor shaves barbers gave him on the Camino. He said that they were very competent at this tricky business, and he very much enjoyed meeting people in these contexts, who gave him great advice on the route. He said that in his native Edinburgh, he would not have gone to a barber's shop and received quite as many hugs.
My son used a barber shop in Spain post Camino and came out looking so squeeky clean. A beautiful haircut and straight razor shave. It was amazing and he looked amazing. He isn't old enough to need all the little "extras", but for only about 8 euro, plus tip it was outstanding!.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A small thing but certainly important for my reintroduction to the post Camino world .
After thirty four odd days on the Frances and a further week to and in Finisterra I was looking a little like a Wooki .
I was fortunate and found a unisex hairdressers that is ' old-school ' no fuss and exceptionally caring .
In a galleria / arcade on the way to the railway station in Santiago, Beymar Peluquerias, Plaza De Galicia Santiago. About ten minutes walk from the Cathedral and just past the Santandar bank building .
9 Euro saw Benedidito transform me from a bushman into an acceptable representation of a human .
Obviously I have no connection to this , I'm just happy I wasn't forced to sit amongst ' Hipsters ' sneering at the fossil in the chair and then having to pay 30 Euro for the privilege .
Thank you Charles Z. Wanted to remove part of a beard, get a trim etc. Followed your advice and the gentleman was great. Really fine scissors work, terrific with the straight razor. He was tickled when, asking how I came to him, I explained that he been praised in a website. And I showed him your note --which I could not translate and he could not read. But I assured him your note was praise --otherwise why would I have come.?
Thank you sir.
Kevin

I ask everyone here in Canada if they do fire balling but something about not wanting to be sued is the answer I keep getting. I really, really miss those days...!
What is face waxing?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What is face waxing?
After your shave they cover your unshaved facial areas and ears with a hot wax and remove all other 'extra' hair that the shave did not get. Moderately painful however Without first-hand knowledge I suspect not as bad as waxing other parts of ones body... :eek:

After your shave they cover your unshaved facial areas and ears with a hot wax and remove all other 'extra' hair that the shave did not get. Moderately painful however Without first-hand knowledge I suspect not as bad as waxing other parts of ones body... :eek:
Never went there, never will, nor will lemd my face to it. You brave man. I thank my DNA providers for the little bosydy hair I have to worry about, but giving me all my curly head curls. Again, you are a brave man,

i went to sn old barber in Melide who did a great job. Having a place on the costa blanca i have enjoyed many a Spanish hair cut snd they are far better than there English equivalents. Photo is of me after haircut. I am on the left. P1100920.JPGP1100921.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back