• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre Camino Nerves

Time of past OR future Camino
Leaving UK 5th April 24. Night Booked in Paris near Montparnasse, before a train down to Bayonne changing to SJPD, where I've booked accomodation for two nights to look a round and just absorbe the atmosphere.

For some reason the earliest train south from Paris is after midday not getting me to SJPD till after 7pm?

As my departure date approches, some friend are still joking that as ive been speaking about this for so long, i will still be talking about it in another 13 years time! I won't! I'm going. This is it! Is anyone else as nervous / anxious as Im getting as my date for depature gets nearer? It seems to be a mix of feer and excitement, Even my partner seems unconvinced, though I think her worries are more personal, and born out of a lack of self confidence on her part, and a worry about the changes that the camino can bring to a person, there beliefs, needs and asperations going forwards?

I just hope I am doing the right thing, I'm in no rush, happy to take as long as it takes. I'm saying 50 days to chill, look around and experience life on the Camino. Everyone I read says do it alone? I'm not sure that any thing other would be an option, lol but again, everyone seems says that your never really alone. Just interested in you views. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I see you have been on here a while … since 2013!

Fear and excitement are what many on here feel, in anticipation of what may, or may not, be a life-changing experience.

Once you get walking, you’ll soon settle into your routine and you’ll wonder what you were worrying about 🙂
You have 50 days ... a luxury!!
We spent two days in SJPdP before we walked and enjoyed the ambiance of the little town; it’s a friendly place 🙂

I wish you Buen Camino!
(enjoy these 4 or so months of anticipation 😉)

Isn't it interesting how perspective can be so different! I leave two days after you and it still feels an age away - I can't wait to be back!
I sense you already know you are going to enjoy the journey. Enjoy the anticipation too!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mark, if you've been on here for 10 years it's no wonder you're nervous - Talk about anticipation!
And as for NOT still talking about it in 13 years time - sorry, you're wrong, if you've been on here for 10 years you will be. But from the perspective of somebody who's completed it!

And as to whether or not you're doing the right thing - again if you've been thinking about this for 10-13 ? years, then heck yes!!!! . It took me about that number of weeks - and a fair bit of training- to get on the Camino. Only managed a week the first time, did another two week camino just a few months later. (I'm hooked.).
You're going into this with your eyes wide open, plenty of time on your hands, and I'm sure you're going to have an absolute blast.
And as to walking alone: I love walking alone. But as it turns out I apparently also like walking with people - because that's what I've done on both of my caminos. It's one of the (many) beautiful things of the Camino - you can be alone as and when you wish, but you don't have to be lonely. But you've read all of this advice and a million times I'm sure, so all that remains to be said is :
Buen Camino!!

Leaving UK 5th April 24. Night Booked in Paris near Montparnasse, before a train down to Bayonne changing to SJPD, where I've booked accomodation for two nights to look a round and just absorbe the atmosphere.

For some reason the earliest train south from Paris is after midday not getting me to SJPD till after 7pm?

As my departure date approches, some friend are still joking that as ive been speaking about this for so long, i will still be talking about it in another 13 years time! I won't! I'm going. This is it! Is anyone else as nervous / anxious as Im getting as my date for depature gets nearer? It seems to be a mix of feer and excitement, Even my partner seems unconvinced, though I think her worries are more personal, and born out of a lack of self confidence on her part, and a worry about the changes that the camino can bring to a person, there beliefs, needs and asperations going forwards?

I just hope I am doing the right thing, I'm in no rush, happy to take as long as it takes. I'm saying 50 days to chill, look around and experience life on the Camino. Everyone I read says do it alone? I'm not sure that any thing other would be an option, lol but again, everyone seems says that your never really alone. Just interested in you views. Buen Camino
Hi Mark,

I am from the Maidenhead / Burnham area so just up the road from you so I felt compelled to reply! guess I am the opposite I did my first Camino with about two days notice - June 2020 during the Covid crisis - furloughed from work, lockdown in UK so flew Porto where life was still to an extent normalish! Luxury of bars and restaurants open, and I could get my haircut!!’ Bored after a few days, remembering hearing about the Camino so walked to Santiago! Similar story foll month. Furloughed for another month, bored of the beach so at a couple of days notice did the CF. No time to think about it and get nervous. The only pressure was that I had 26 days but that proved to be enough. !I’m am very very slow but can put a long day in! I guess I am quite outgoing and social, but Iike to walk alone and have definite loner tendencies too. Easy to meet folks at end of day or enroute though.

Frankly and tangibly in my view there is nothing to get nervous about. It’s a lovely walk and there is a superb and cheap support structure. Luggage. Hotac, bars, restaurants, buses,trains taxis but you know all that….50 days is great!

Main point being it’s natural to get nervous about things, just coz thats way our brains work. Can impact the ‘nicest’ of things esp… if it has been on your radar for a long time. I think once you start walking it will ease. Bit like an exam when you finally start the paper, or a sporting event when the first bell or whistle goes, you get straight into it. You will meet folks if you so wish and I don’t it will change you, unless that is what you want. It was just a lovely walk for me, and a time a look back to with great fondness. I did the Norte the foll year and hope to do VDLP soon! Maybe starting early April. Wishing you all the best!

Last edited:
worry about the changes that the camino can bring to a person, there beliefs, needs and asperations going forwards?
It is easy to say "don't worry about this", but really I don"t think this is something to worry about. Unless someone is on the precipice of a major life change or decision anyway, it is extremely unlikely to experience a dramatic/difficult change.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
some friend are still joking that as ive been speaking about this for so long, i will still be talking about it in another 13 years time! I won't! I'm going.
Oh, you may still be talking about it in 13 years time. Actually going is no preventative. I first went over 30 years ago and I'm still talking about it.

I would let go of your worries, to the extent you can. It seems like you've done everything right. You've given yourself plenty of time, which is the most important thing. I'm not saying that everything will go as planned or anticipated. It never does. But that time you've given yourself translates into flexibility to adapt. And you will be surrounded by one of the most supportive communities there is, who will help you get through any difficulties you may encounter.

As to the worries your partner expresses. I can see where they are coming from. People have made major changes in their lives after Caminos. These tend to be the people who write books or are profiled in articles, etc. The many more people who don't make such drastic changes don't make such interesting reading. We've got such people here on the forum so I'm not going to say they don't exist. But I think those same people will say that the changes didn't come out of nowhere. They were long overdue. The Camino can give us a unique time to just be ourselves, stripping away the roles and expectations that shape us at home. Couple that with a lot of time to think and you get people who see where their life at home isn't true to their selves and a decision to change that. I can't say whether your partner has real reason to worry. But the numbers certainly suggest otherwise. And I can say that the people who have made these drastic changes don't seem to have regretted them.

Last edited:
Hi Mark!

You will be fine ninety-nine percent of your fear's are in your head!
The other one percent you will deal with !
It's a great adventure; it won't be your last.
Warn your family and friends before you go to buy earplugs; as yes you will talk about Camino at every chance you get to include it in conversation when you get home🤣
Go alone and it's your Camino you will find company when you need it and you can avoid it when you don't!
Have a blast
Buen Camino
Woody

My advice to all who ask about it... is to just start walking. I went on my first in my 51st year and although I walked a fair bit before hand, I wasn't fit , didn't really have much of a clue apart from the movie ( which i love) and my skimming of the late John Brierleys book.

If I was to give old me any advice, it would be to pack less than you think and maybe reserve 2 days at the start. Good luck have fun, it might be your first but probably won't be your last

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hello, I planned and trained for my Camino for about nine months. The week before my journey my self confidence in my ability to complete the trek at 72 years old, and walking alone, simply tanked. I arrived at SJPP midday the day the before my first step on the Camino. Immediately I found new friends. This would happen every day of my forty-four day pilgrimage to Santiago. Open up to others, and you will be amazed! Due to my age, resulting with a slow pace, I walked alone for about seventy percent of the time. I loved this time for self-reflection, yet as folks passed me there was allways conversations. I loved this. My self confidence was tested the second day as I walked from Orrison to Roncevallis in a terrible storm. This extremely difficult day, and surving, gelled my self-confidence. I knew at the end of this very trying day I would make it to Santiago. Bottom line, your pre-adventure feelings are quite common, especially for those of us who walked the Camino for the first time. Buen Camino...Ken.

I like to think of doing a camino that lasts, say 30 days, as walking a camino for a day 30 times. Each day is different. Some are wonderful, some aren't. I walk alone, I walk with another individual, I walk in a group. The weather is amazing, the weather sucks. I'm bright eyed and alert, I'm hung over and swear to never drink again. But whatever comes my way, I'll cope hopefully enjoy the totality of the experience. I enjoy reading about others experiences, but all that really matters is creating my own. Just experience it. You'll learn, adapt and adjust ad you go. Don't over think it beforehand. You're going to have an enormous amount of time to think on your journey. Good luck. And be grateful to have the time, money and opportunity to do this.

Hello, I planned and trained for my Camino for about nine months. The week before my journey my self confidence in my ability to complete the trek at 72 years old, and walking alone, simply tanked. I arrived at SJPP midday the day the before my first step on the Camino. Immediately I found new friends. This would happen every day of my forty-four day pilgrimage to Santiago. Open up to others, and you will be amazed! Due to my age, resulting with a slow pace, I walked alone for about seventy percent of the time. I loved this time for self-reflection, yet as folks passed me there was allways conversations. I loved this. My self confidence was tested the second day as I walked from Orrison to Roncevallis in a terrible storm. This extremely difficult day, and surving, gelled my self-confidence. I knew at the end of this very trying day I would make it to Santiago. Bottom line, your pre-adventure feelings are quite common, especially for those of us who walked the Camino for the first time. Buen Camino...Ken.
Very good advice/reply to a first-timer. Once you are there, you will be surprised how easy it all is.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Mark:

All will be fine. Fifty days is more than enough. You will never be alone on the CF. I would recommend you just keep putting one foot in front of the other, address any feet issues asap, (as your feet go so goes your Camino, try not to plan to much or have expectations and just let the Camino be your guide.

Ultreya'
Joe

"It seems to be a mix of fear and excitement,"

Mark, I totally get you! My daughter (37) and I (67) are leaving on 11th March 2024 from New Zealand to walk our first Camino after planning for it over 2 years. We will be doing the Via de la Plata, a tough route for first timers, we have been told on numerous occasions, but the solitude of it appeals to us both.
You will be just fine. Wishing you well on your Camino!

Can you change your train ticket? When I went ( April this year), I got a morning train from Montparnasse. They will probably add more train schedules closer to the time - keep an eye out.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"It seems to be a mix of fear and excitement,"

Mark, I totally get you! My daughter (37) and I (67) are leaving on 11th March 2024 from New Zealand to walk our first Camino after planning for it over 2 years. We will be doing the Via de la Plata, a tough route for first timers, we have been told on numerous occasions, but the solitude of it appeals to us both.
You will be just fine. Wishing you well on your Camino!
Don't worry - one of my Camino buddies walked the VdlP as her first Camino. The Via was my third Camino (at age 72) and by far my favourite. I think it's fine for a first Camino if you are a 'normally' fit person and not too 'precious'. Enjoy! Buen Camino.

Can you change your train ticket? When I went ( April this year), I got a morning train from Montparnasse. They will probably add more train schedules closer to the time - keep an eye out.
I don't think that train tickets/schedules are available yet for April. @Mark Greenwood didn't say that he had already purchased a ticket.

Hi Mark, Liz and I are starting our El Camino on the 10th April as Orisson is not open till then for our booking which is confirmed.
This is our second Camino and I personally recommend you stop at Orisson and not walk all the way to Roncesvalles.
We walked the Camino in 2016 at the age of 72 so you should not have any problems at 70. Now we are 79 and will turn 80 just before we start the second Camino from Le Puy to St Jean Pied de Port.
Take it slow and steady and enjoy the surroundings the Camino is the walk experience not getting to the destination as fast as possible on our first Camino we allotted 59 days and had a day of each week so about 52 days of walking, no blisters and no shin splints, be prepared to change your socks two to three times a day and you will be fine. Maybe we will see you on the first day.
Beun Camino

Hi Mark, just a point I would like to tell you. I personally recommend that you stop at Orisson on the first night, but they don't open till the 10th April. We have delayed our start until the 10th and have a confirmed booking for this first night. This is what we did in 2016 as we were 72 then and we walked starting on the 1st September, this time it will be spring and we will be 79. Take it slow and enjoy the scenery, the Camino is about the walk not the destination.
We aloud 59 days last time and will do the same again taking a day of from walking each week.
Maybe we see each other on the first day.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you Ken.😊

Think about everything or think about nothing, it makes a nice change from the drudgery of day to day life.

Enjoy the journey, may find you head back each year to recalibrate the mind on what is really important in life.

Hello,

Your feelings are so familiar to me as I have anxiety leading up to each of the 4 Caminos that I’ve done. Anxiety comeS from the future as it is the unknown and you may well know this. The Camino taught me to better stay in the present and that is how I deal with leaving for a Camino. Each time I project forward I then bring my self back to
The present and tell my myself that I need to do is take the next step. Don’t worry about the future, the future will take care Of itself. When the day comes, go to the airport, get on the plane, get off the plane and keep walking, everything will take care of itself. In other words just Keep putting one foot in front of the other!!

First Camino in 2007 - so much anxiety that I thought I would get really sick before I even got on a plane. Some sessions with a kinesiologist really helped - old fears and axieties released.
Second Camino -2016 - all good - walking with a friend (but that's another story)
Third Camino - 2022 - Via de la Plata - not so much anxiety but thoughts like - What's an old lady like you doing walking by herself through the centre of Spain - and all the accompanying scenarios. By then I realised they are just thoughts in the mind and I can let them go.
The Camino is a wonderful way to face your fears, make friends with yourself. and to learn what it means to be around other pilgrims.
Buen Camino

I did the CF in 2019. I was super anxious while waiting for my departure date, trying to read up on all things camino. I probably watched every YouTube video on the subject at the time. I finally arrived in Madrid and stayed at a place near the airport-(Adolfo Suárez Madrid–Barajas Airport)- that I had booked on Booking.com. I went for a walk in the nearby square and took a seat on a bench as the night approached. I contemplated what was to come and questioned whether I had done the right thing. Was is right for me to leave my loved ones for over a month, to explore this trail on the other side of the Atlantic? I felt alone in the midst of so many strange, cold and unfamiliar faces the moved about. I actually had a few tears escape, but I remained composed, headed toward a nearby coffee shop, grabbed a cup of Joe and shook it off.
Once I decided to do the camino, but way before I had researched much, I asked 5 friends if they were interested in joining me. None of them could afford the 30+ days to do the entire trail. In the end, I'm glad they couldn't. I did it solo and I was able to hike at my pace. I did what I wanted, when I wanted...with no strings attached to anyone. It's ok to be anxious, maybe a little afraid, but I'm positive that if you stick to your plan, it will all work out for you. I wish you a lovely experience on your journey to Santiago de Compostela. Buen camino Mark. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did the CF in 2019. I was super anxious while waiting for my departure date, trying to read up on all things camino. I probably watched every YouTube video on the subject at the time. I finally arrived in Madrid and stayed at a place near the airport-(Adolfo Suárez Madrid–Barajas Airport)- that I had booked on Booking.com. I went for a walk in the nearby square and took a seat on a bench as the night approached. I contemplated what was to come and questioned whether I had done the right thing. Was is right for me to leave my loved ones for over a month, to explore this trail on the other side of the Atlantic? I felt alone in the midst of so many strange, cold and unfamiliar faces the moved about. I actually had a few tears escape, but I remained composed, headed toward a nearby coffee shop, grabbed a cup of Joe and shook it off.
Once I decided to do the camino, but way before I had researched much, I asked 5 friends if they were interested in joining me. None of them could afford the 30+ days to do the entire trail. In the end, I'm glad they couldn't. I did it solo and I was able to hike at my pace. I did what I wanted, when I wanted...with no strings attached to anyone. It's ok to be anxious, maybe a little afraid, but I'm positive that if you stick to your plan, it will all work out for you. I wish you a lovely experience on your journey to Santiago de Compostela. Buen camino Mark. :)
Thank you for your kind words. I know it will be amazing, in one way or another! 😁

Thank you.😊

Hi Mark, Liz and I are starting our El Camino on the 10th April as Orisson is not open till then for our booking which is confirmed.
This is our second Camino and I personally recommend you stop at Orisson and not walk all the way to Roncesvalles.
We walked the Camino in 2016 at the age of 72 so you should not have any problems at 70. Now we are 79 and will turn 80 just before we start the second Camino from Le Puy to St Jean Pied de Port.
Take it slow and steady and enjoy the surroundings the Camino is the walk experience not getting to the destination as fast as possible on our first Camino we allotted 59 days and had a day of each week so about 52 days of walking, no blisters and no shin splints, be prepared to change your socks two to three times a day and you will be fine. Maybe we will see you on the first day.
Beun Camino

Hi Mark, just a point I would like to tell you. I personally recommend that you stop at Orisson on the first night, but they don't open till the 10th April. We have delayed our start until the 10th and have a confirmed booking for this first night. This is what we did in 2016 as we were 72 then and we walked starting on the 1st September, this time it will be spring and we will be 79. Take it slow and enjoy the scenery, the Camino is about the walk not the destination.
We aloud 59 days last time and will do the same again taking a day of from walking each week.
Buen Camino
Thank you Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Beun Camino

Buen Camino
How did you book Orisson? Directly?? Thanx

Yes we booked directly with them.
refuge.orisson@wandoo.fr
refuge-orisson.com
+33559491303
E40 DBB and you can order the next day lunch just incase the caravan is not open.
They are opening on the 10th April so have booked for that night by credit card which they take the money straight away but will refund it they have to.
Might see you on the way Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.