• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre/Post Camino ~ What advice would u give yourself? Did u overhaul ur life?

chilledKat

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2014
Hola Everyone,

Firstly am loving this Forum. Love and generosity abound <3

Being the Camino virgin that I am (although I will be embarking on my first one 15th June from SJPP..:p) I am really curious to know what you felt like going into the experience, and what you derived from it coming out the other end...other than a heap of blisters ;)

What had you hoped to achieve (be it a spiritual or physical goal) and did this come about?

What advice would you give yourself now with the wisdom of hindsight?

I read that someone went home and ended a very long term relationship after the Camino as it helped them to gain clarity. What changes, if any, did you make on your return? Was it hard to settle back into your pre-Camino life?

Thanks everyone,

Katrina Funny quotes, Inspirational quotes, Life quotes, Love quotes, quotes, Wise quotes,  (672).jpg

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
To try to take it as it comes enjoying the good and bearing the bad. After all this is life.
To respect my limits and trust my tenacity. To be thankful at the end of each camino day for simple shelter, a bed (preferably a bottom bunk ), working toilet, hot shower, something to eat and if possible good companionship.

Why will I continue to do this as long as I am able?
My laconic answer is from Pascal's Pensées "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."
Additional philosophic and spiritual reasons are cited in my profile.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Had no great epiphany when I finished. No cartoon light-bulb lit up above my head when I was done. Didn't really expect one to, mind you. In fact the day I finished was a bit anticlimactic. I had expected to stay in Pedrouzo that day, but missed my turn and ended up walking all the way to Santiago, getting there late in the afternoon. That was one long day of walking.
Like I have said before on here, it was just a really cool and unique experience and one I just had to do upon learning of it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pre-Camino I knew I needed to do something. Something was missing but it felt just beyond my grasp, slightly beyond my grasp. I was compelled to do the Camino. I started and completed during June/July of 2013. My one year anniversary of leaving June 2 is quickly approaching. I had no assurance I would find what I was seeking yet I was confident I would. Shortly into my journey I realized I had found "it". Don't ask me to define "it" though. I just knew my life would be different from that point on. I would be different. Rarely, if ever, does an event exceeded our expectations. The Camino exceeded mine.
Post-Camino I am so glad I went. I am a more genuinely spiritual person. My wife has remarked that I am a better husband. I have stopped searching for happiness. Everything I need...I already have. I could talk or write about my Camino all day. People who have not gone cannot begin to fathom its effect.
Go and experience it for yourself.

Trent Shupperd
Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Pre-Camino I knew I needed to do something. Something was missing but it felt just beyond my grasp, slightly beyond my grasp. I was compelled to do the Camino. I started and completed during June/July of 2013. My one year anniversary of leaving June 2 is quickly approaching. I had no assurance I would find what I was seeking yet I was confident I would. Shortly into my journey I realized I had found "it". Don't ask me to define "it" though. I just knew my life would be different from that point on. I would be different. Rarely, if ever, does an event exceeded our expectations. The Camino exceeded mine.
Oh I love it Trent :) Thanks for sharing. I hope I find 'it' too

Had no great epiphany when I finished. No cartoon light-bulb lit up above my head when I was done. Didn't really expect one to, mind you. In fact the day I finished was a bit anticlimactic. I had expected to stay in Pedrouzo that day, but missed my turn and ended up walking all the way to Santiago, getting there late in the afternoon. That was one long day of walking.
Like I have said before on here, it was just a really cool and unique experience and one I just had to do upon learning of it.

What about on your return home Mark? Did anything change for you? The way you viewed yourself? The world? Your place in it?

Someone said to me recently, "oh cool, you are going on a holiday!" which I promptly laughed at, as bizarrely I don't see it as a holiday....More like I am Atlas with the world on his shoulders hoping to have some respite and put it down for a while ;) Give that mantle to someone else for once. :p

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Katrina View attachment 10378

Although i did these things, I want to do them all MORE, next time.
I won't be so time poor this time so I hope to be much more relaxed too.
So:
To be in the moment more.
Smell the roses! And appreciate.
Walk more slowly.
Talk to more locals
Dare to practise my Spanish

I know now whether I want to carry more or less. (Less for me).

Know how my feet handled the walk so trying to get it right for next time.
A lot of people are clever and have this so well sorted from their training and questioning the forum etc. Some of us learn from our mistakes.

If you have any particular interest, (ie churches, history, geography etc) research more before u go, so you don't walk by and miss the opportunity. Read a lot of threads for some of this research. And blogs too.

Buen Camino
Annie

I did the Camino after arriving in the UK with 7 weeks of ocean liner luxury from Sydney to Southampton. Been back in Australia a few days now and it's the Camino that occupies my thoughts. Already I am missing the freedom, the friendships, the human beauty. Relax, don't overthink it and enjoy!

Although i did these things, I want to do them all MORE, next time.
I won't be so time poor this time so I hope to be much more relaxed too.
So:
To be in the moment more.
Smell the roses! And appreciate.
Walk more slowly.
Talk to more locals
Dare to practise my Spanish

I know now whether I want to carry more or less. (Less for me).

Know how my feet handled the walk so trying to get it right for next time.
A lot of people are clever and have this so well sorted from their training and questioning the forum etc. Some of us learn from our mistakes.

If you have any particular interest, (ie churches, history, geography etc) research more before u go, so you don't walk by and miss the opportunity. Read a lot of threads for some of this research. And blogs too.

Buen Camino
Annie
I am loving this thread.....such beautiful tidbits....like tapas or pinxtos.......hope I work out the difference ;)

I have two weeks Annie.....aside from my airfare have yet to buy anything so that will be a huge focus.....although I have three long flights as you would know before I get to Madrid so I should take some reading material.

As for learning from my mistakes....am a slow learner at times...but am grateful for those who have gone before and share their tales. Thank you for yours!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did the Camino after arriving in the UK with 7 weeks of ocean liner luxury from Sydney to Southampton. Been back in Australia a few days now and it's the Camino that occupies my thoughts. Already I am missing the freedom, the friendships, the human beauty. Relax, don't overthink it and enjoy!
You are a lucky fella...Camino and a luxury cruise ;)

A few vinos will hopefully put an end to my overthinking!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
"What advice would I give myself?"

Expect nothing. To meet the challenge of ensuing doubts, recall the quote from that estimable philospher, Christoper Robin, of the Book of Pooh: "You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Finish with the postscript "Remember that the Camino provides."

"Did I overhaul my life?"

Not in any dramatic fashion. Rather, I learned to be appreciative of the graces provided every day. That has dramatically overhauled my attitude toward my life and so, the quality of it.

You ask hard questions. These are just my "Reader's Digest" versions of answers.

Buen Camino,

B

"What advice would I give myself?"

Expect nothing. To meet the challenge of ensuing doubts, recall the quote from that estimable philospher, Christoper Robin, of the Book of Pooh: "You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Finish with the postscript "Remember that the Camino provides."

"Did I overhaul my life?"

Not in any dramatic fashion. Rather, I learned to be appreciative of the graces provided every day. That has dramatically overhauled my attitude toward my life and so, the quality of it.

You ask hard questions. These are just my "Reader's Digest" versions of answers.

Buen Camino,

B

Ha ha....my questions are showing the repressed journalist in me ;)

Thanks B....I am actually going to write a little notebook of some of these gems and so if times get tough, I will have the wisdom of other pilgrims echoing in my thoughts. As for overhauling one's life....it is in the subtlety that the most profound changes unfold, as you have beautiful articulated.

As long as you are harvesting nuggets, here are a couple that I always kept in mind as I am generally uncomfortable in groupss and can be a bit ill-tempered.

"I may be the only Scripture that some people read." (unattributed)

"You only love God as much as you love the person you love the least." (Dorothy Day, I think)

I needed them, I used them, they helped. There can be a lot of cultural and personal differences which are trying.

B

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As long as you are harvesting nuggets, here are a couple that I always kept in mind as I am generally uncomfortable in groupss and can be a bit ill-tempered.

"I may be the only Scripture that some people read." (unattributed)

"You only love God as much as you love the person you love the least." (Dorothy Day, I think)

I needed them, I used them, they helped. There can be a lot of cultural and personal differences which are trying.

B

How about.....“Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.” (Mae West ) ;)

Have the caminho shape you, instead of the other way around.
Try not to make it another project...something you do! Just experience it ....and take care of yourself...and if this means having a room on your own, so pay for one.
Just be with it in a very simple way.
Be kind to others and yourself....and walk the caminho in a way that you still have a smile at the end of the day....instead of grumpy limpy grouchy and cranky because you stress about kilometers walked, not walked because you gave yourself a too tight schedule, etc etc.
Easy does it, and less is more.

Lots of people seem to feel the need to de-clutter after the Camino. Living with so little brings into focus how little you need, so all these things we keep that 'might come in handy' get binned or sent to a charity shop. It's generally affected my attitude towards 'stuff' and I tend to focus more upon utility and quality.

I've become more spiritual and more accepting of the spiritual. Maybe it's a lot to do with my time of life as well (moving into middle age), but I really think the Camino has helped me to accept and adapt to that too.

Did it give me specific answers to specific, practical questions...my career etc.? No, not really. It's more subtle than that. I still can't quite put my finger on why I keep going back; whether it's to refresh this shift in attitude or whether it's an on-going process.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What about on your return home Mark? Did anything change for you? The way you viewed yourself? The world? Your place in it?

Someone said to me recently, "oh cool, you are going on a holiday!" which I promptly laughed at, as bizarrely I don't see it as a holiday....More like I am Atlas with the world on his shoulders hoping to have some respite and put it down for a while ;) Give that mantle to someone else for once. :p

I know exactly what you mean about the 'holiday' reference. It never felt like the word to describe what it was for me, either before or after. When I think 'holiday', I think beach bars and sunbathing, not walking 30 km or so day in, day out for a month or so. I think for all of the words at our disposal, sometimes our social 'programming' restricts the ways in which we think. To some people, whenever you check out of the 'real world', then you are de facto on holiday, as if there isn't another alternative. It's a very categorical yes/no, black/white way of looking at the world, and for me, the experience of the Camino itself served to magnify my awareness of how limiting looking at reality in those terms can be.

I walked the Camino Frances around this time in 2012 (and will be doing so again later this summer!), and, as with many of the previous commenters, I didn't come home transformed, I didn't have any specific 'eureka'-type moments as it relates to my life... but it did change me. It changed how I perceive of myself and those around me, and also left me with an increased awareness of the inherently subjective nature of the constructed social worlds in which we live. None of that happened instantaneously, rather it has been a gradual unfolding, both at the time and since I came home from that first Camino (I also walked part of the Camino Portugues in 2013), and I feel like I'm much better placed, psychologically-speaking, to cope with the inevitable vicissitudes of life arising from that.

One of the greatest gifts that Camino gives you as you're out there is time. By the time I settled into it - I didn't push my body too hard over the first week or so - I found that my sense of time, specifically its passage, was greatly extended. So much so that while out there I said to many people that each day felt like a week, and it really did. By, say, Tuesday evening, the previous Monday morning (yesterday!) feels very far back, much further than it ever would when at home living life at your usual pace and awareness level. And that's the key word - awareness. On the Camino, everything is new, your senses are constantly being exposed to novelty and fresh stimulus, and the effect of that can be to stop you drifting onto 'auto-pilot', with this even more pronounced if you resist the lure of mp3 players! ;-) For myself, in 2012, I was away from home for about 6 weeks, but it felt more like 6 months, and that was wonderful. In that space, you'll have a lot of thinking time. Your mind will go to places that perhaps you didn't expect. For me, I spent the first couple of days thinking about reasonably mundane matters (sports etc.!), but I did so with an awareness that I was 'clearing out' the top layer in mind, eager to see what would be underneath all the stuff that I tended to think about when at home. There's no way of knowing where that will take you, but the one certainty is it will take you somewhere, maybe to dimly lit corners of your mind that you barely knew existed prior to giving those thoughts the chance to emerge into the light. I remember friends I made in 2012, speaking over drinks in the evening, talking about how on long stretches walking alone they reached points where they had to listen to music because they found they were thinking too much, they couldn't take it, they had to drown out the inner voice. I never reached that point myself, but I totally understand the point. Imagine thinking so much that you reach a point where you think you can't think anymore or you may go crazy... That's one of the many amazing things the Camino can facilitate!

Anyway, this may not be directly relevant to your question, and I suspect I'm edging dangerously close to rambling, so I'll stop.. here!

You're going to have a wonderful experience, and I guarantee that whatever your expectations on day 1 in St Jean, by the time you reach Santiago you will have been surprised many times. It won't always be easy, but that's part of what makes it so special.

Well, I guess I wasn't a typical peregrino. I did not go straight home and did not dwell on the recently completed Camino. I went and roamed around a bit. Went to Dubai. Scuba dove in Thailand. Toured the temples in Cambodia. I worked overseas for several years and that and being prior military allowed me to travel quite a bit before I ever did the Camino, so I saw it as I stated previously as being a new travel adventure. Part holiday. Part cultural. Part spiritual. Part religious. Also I'd always wanted to visit Spain. I have roots there from my mother's side.
I guess I'm the same guy prior to walking the Camino. Just more enlightened on an experience I would have never thought I would have ever done just a few short years ago.
I tell people that it is just a great experience at face value. To do it just to experience it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've been hiking for years. I am well acquainted with the health benefits that derive from the pleasure of walking on the land.

My observation is that a lot of people have never given themselves the gift of time to walk on the land with no constraints. When I go day hiking with friends its too often the case where they have to be back in time to do something else turning the experience into exercise to be fit in a certain time block.

I don't expect anything to change as a result of going for a long walk. If there are stresses going on in life taking the time to go for a walk can help get some perspective on the problems. Sometimes the stresses of the walk are sufficient to distract from life's problems long enough to get back some balance.

The camino is different from any hike I have done in that it takes more than a week to walk the whole thing.

The camino doesn't have the intensity of having to focus on where you put your next step for fear of your life (as climbers often do) but it does tend to require that you focus on day to day living in the here and now without deadlines and distractions.

I went on the camino to experience the culture of Northern Spain, to practice Spanish language skills, and to meet other people on the road. (and, oh yeah, the weather in Spain in November and December is much better than at home) Those expectations were met. Reaching Santiago was a disappointment because that meant an enjoyable experience was over and time to go home even as I continued on to Finisterre before doing so.

Did my life change? No it didn't. I am the same person I was before I left ... just with some different experiences under my belt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-camino advice to myself --- Research diligently, plan flexibly, prepare steadily, pray regularly, walk in the moment, and hold on loosely to any desires and expectations.

Personal goals --- A time of extended retreat and rejuvination. A spiritual pilgrimage with my son.

Post-camino changes --- My relationship with my now 16 year old son (we walked together) runs deeper, though still turbulent at times. Also, there are subtle and deeper fruits in my spiritual life that continue to bubble up unexpectedly (I spent much of my time walking to audio versions of the writing of St. Teresa of Avila and reflecting on the spiritual life she describes in her Interior Castle).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I want to tell you something but I don't know how. I had some marvellous moments, very emotional and spiritual. Mass at Burgos cathedral, Cruz de Ferro, O'Cebreiro, and at Santiago's cathedral.
If you want to learn more about my experience look at my blog: gilcamino. Blogspot.can

Buen Camino

I know exactly what you mean about the 'holiday' reference. It never felt like the word to describe what it was for me, either before or after.
Anyway, this may not be directly relevant to your question, and I suspect I'm edging dangerously close to rambling, so I'll stop.. here!

You're going to have a wonderful experience, and I guarantee that whatever your expectations on day 1 in St Jean, by the time you reach Santiago you will have been surprised many times. It won't always be easy, but that's part of what makes it so special.
Mark that was wonderful to read. Absolutely not rambling at all. I love waking up and reading this forum and seeing the dedication and energy people take to invest in their responses. It is like my little secret haven, my own escape from the banalities. I feel like part of a secret club that welcomes all.....all you have to do is front up. Many don't though....why? Because unlocking the unknown is fraught with fear......Now how is that for rambling ;)

Two weeks today I will be on the plane. Can't wait!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pre-camino advice to myself --- Research diligently, plan flexibly, prepare steadily, pray regularly, walk in the moment, and hold on loosely to any desires and expectations.

Personal goals --- A time of extended retreat and rejuvination. A spiritual pilgrimage with my son.

Post-camino changes --- My relationship with my now 16 year old son (we walked together) runs deeper, though still turbulent at times. Also, there are subtle and deeper fruits in my spiritual life that continue to bubble up unexpectedly (I spent much of my time walking to audio versions of the writing of St. Teresa of Avila and reflecting on the spiritual life she describes in her Interior Castle).
How special to share this experience with your son. I am really relishing hearing others experiences.

I want to tell you something but I don't know how. I had some marvellous moments, very emotional and spiritual. Mass at Burgos cathedral, Cruz de Ferro, O'Cebreiro, and at Santiago's cathedral.
If you want to learn more about my experience look at my blog: gilcamino. Blogspot.can

Buen Camino
Thanks Gil......your first line sounds intriguing. Am having a look at your blog now. Thanks for sharing :D

I do need to mention that in one way I was not the same person at the end of the Camino that I was when I started.
I lost over twenty pounds and that was while eating three big meals a day and drinking beer and wine.
It can definitely get a person in shape.

I love reading everyone's answers to these questions, and I can't help but notice how many people are much more eloquent and clear about their answers than I can ever be. I first walked the Camino Frances in 2000, and I don't exactly know what it did to me, but it was such an amazing experience I knew I would have to go back. And here I am 14 years later, luckily with a very understanding husband (who has walked with me twice and didn't enjoy it), still eager to put one foot in front of the other each and every year. For me, it is an opportunity to dial back and focus on the basics, no frills (well, ok, I confess to an occasional splurge), no meetings, no one responsible for my day but me, and conversely, I am responsible for no one but me either. Rain or shine, dirty albergue or clean albergue, bad food or good food, on the Camino I am the most aware of how thankful I am to be alive and how I am so privileged to be able to walk.

It's funny, but whether I'm on heavily travelled or solitary caminos, mountain caminos or flat caminos, it's still the Camino, and it works its magic. I am now at the point that I cannot imagine a year without a camino. I am not kidding myself, I know some year I will be unable to do it, but for now I am seizing the opportunity and am grateful.

Buen camino, Laurie

I love reading everyone's answers to these questions, and I can't help but notice how many people are much more eloquent and clear about their answers than I can ever be.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks Laurie, if I might be so bold to say though....don't sell yourself short. You have perfectly articulated what you needed to share......I love that you have the Camino bug. Keep travelling Laurie. :)

How about.....“Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.” (Mae West ) ;)

Well... if that works for you.

Personally, I have exhausted any potential for novelty.;)

B

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great thread! Great insights. Buen Camino!!

The Camino takes from me what I want and gives to me what I need.

I ask to have revealed my strengths when I am weak and my weaknesses when I am strong.

Both painful and joyful. Time to return.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Hi ChilledKat -- I hope i'm not too late to reply.

Pre-camino advice to myself: Trust trust trust. Train and get good footwear. Feel the fear and do it anyway. Ask for support.

Personal goals: I wanted to come back changed. I had a number of spiritual questions and looked forward to a time of retreat to contemplate the first half of my life.

Post-camino changes: Oh, Lordy there have been a lot. I'm a deeply reflective person by nature, so this may have helped me in recognizing the changes.

Physically, I felt stronger and more confident than I ever have in my life -- and that's despite returning home with pneumonia and a prescription for Amoxicillin! Mentally, I cared less about stupid stuff, worried less, and trusted that everything was supposed to be happening already WAS! I stopped arguing with reality and made peace with it. This was huge for a worry-wart like me.

Emotionally, I was wrecked. I was stunned for the first few weeks, unable to articulate what had happened for me on this journey (I took 7 weeks including walking to Finisterre). I developed a very close friendship on this journey that might have had a different outcome had I not already been involved. Hard. My heart was bursting at the seams and I felt really disillusioned with how life (and especially mainstream American culture) compared to the highs of my pilgrimage and the spontaneous community that was part of my journey.

Spiritually, I had some truly significant insights as I walked. I brought no screens or distractions, not even a camera -- and I think that helped me hear that small still voice guiding me more deeply toward my soul's calling. I got clearer about liveliood issues. I got clear about my spiritual path (I chose to leave the Church, but with love not anger). I let go of a lot of old issues and found forgiveness in their place. All of this was while I walked, so when I returned home, I started taking steps that aligned my life with those insights.

(Am I rambling yet?)

It's been a year to the day that I stood at the lighthouse on Finisterre. In that time, I've let go of a lot of meaningless possessions. I've started to redirect my career path. I've recommitted to my primary relationship. I'm significantly further out of debt (yesss!). And am holding an intention to own a small farm in 10 years or less.

Next weekend, I'm hlding a Camino party for/with all the people who supported me while I walked, some of whom are past pilgrims, and we're going to make sopa de ajo and ensalada mixta together with Santiago cake for dessert! Slowly, slowly the insights are coming to fruition, as long as I don't push and just keep trusting.

I'm still writing about my experiences at jenscaminojourney.wordpress.com in case you want to read more -- and I'm writing a book!

I guess I got a lot of mileage (pun intended) out of my seven weeks in Spain!

Warmly,
Jen

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi ChilledKat -- I hope i'm not too late to reply.

Pre-camino advice to myself: Trust trust trust. Train and get good footwear. Feel the fear and do it anyway. Ask for support.

Personal goals: I wanted to come back changed. I had a number of spiritual questions and looked forward to a time of retreat to contemplate the first half of my life.

Post-camino changes: Oh, Lordy there have been a lot. I'm a deeply reflective person by nature, so this may have helped me in recognizing the changes.

Physically, I felt stronger and more confident than I ever have in my life -- and that's despite returning home with pneumonia and a prescription for Amoxicillin! Mentally, I cared less about stupid stuff, worried less, and trusted that everything was supposed to be happening already WAS! I stopped arguing with reality and made peace with it. This was huge for a worry-wart like me.

Emotionally, I was wrecked. I was stunned for the first few weeks, unable to articulate what had happened for me on this journey (I took 7 weeks including walking to Finisterre). I developed a very close friendship on this journey that might have had a different outcome had I not already been involved. Hard. My heart was bursting at the seams and I felt really disillusioned with how life (and especially mainstream American culture) compared to the highs of my pilgrimage and the spontaneous community that was part of my journey.

Spiritually, I had some truly significant insights as I walked. I brought no screens or distractions, not even a camera -- and I think that helped me hear that small still voice guiding me more deeply toward my soul's calling. I got clearer about liveliood issues. I got clear about my spiritual path (I chose to leave the Church, but with love not anger). I let go of a lot of old issues and found forgiveness in their place. All of this was while I walked, so when I returned home, I started taking steps that aligned my life with those insights.

(Am I rambling yet?)

It's been a year to the day that I stood at the lighthouse on Finisterre. In that time, I've let go of a lot of meaningless possessions. I've started to redirect my career path. I've recommitted to my primary relationship. I'm significantly further out of debt (yesss!). And am holding an intention to own a small farm in 10 years or less.

Next weekend, I'm hlding a Camino party for/with all the people who supported me while I walked, some of whom are past pilgrims, and we're going to make sopa de ajo and ensalada mixta together with Santiago cake for dessert! Slowly, slowly the insights are coming to fruition, as long as I don't push and just keep trusting.

I'm still writing about my experiences at jenscaminojourney.wordpress.com in case you want to read more -- and I'm writing a book!

I guess I got a lot of mileage (pun intended) out of my seven weeks in Spain!

Warmly,
Jen
Hi Jen,

Never too late :D My thread is everyone's thread and something I am sure others are curious about as well...esp as a lot is devoted to the physical journey. Me, I am more curious about people's spiritual journey.

Am having a look at your blog now. Can't wait to sink my teeth into it. Your journey sounds like one I am hoping to have.....but who knows what will transpire. I do hope that strength and wisdom become my friends.

Enjoy your Camino party!!

Katrina

Last edited:
The Camino takes from me what I want and gives to me what I need.

I ask to have revealed my strengths when I am weak and my weaknesses when I am strong.

Both painful and joyful. Time to return.

Keep a smile,
Simeon
Oh Simeon....I love what you wrote and wish I could be that succinct yet eloquent.

I especially love your request to have your strengths and weaknesses revealed depending on your needs. That gem is going into my notebook. Thanks :)

This time in two weeks I will be in SJPP hopefully gearing up to commence my pilgrimage. Soooooo nervous and excited.

ChilledKat,
Thank you for initiating such a beautifully touching and heartfelt thread. May your camino be filled with the same heart energy and gems of wisdom.
My camino has already started although my feet will not touch Spanish soil until Sept. Personally choosing to keep my preparations from slipping into OCD like fixations, my expectations flexible, and focusing on the moment to moment interactions of my current wonderful life.
Camino goals are to offer compassion to myself and others and hold the awareness that each spirit that crosses my path has something authentic to share. My challenge then is to remain present to the offering even when tired, sore, cold/hot, weak or strong and to listen more deeply.
So the camino has begun and changes are happening now... I' m letting go of trivia, flexing my heart both physically and emotionally, and smiling a lot !
Ultreia - tzq

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola Everyone,

Firstly am loving this Forum. Love and generosity abound <3

Being the Camino virgin that I am (although I will be embarking on my first one 15th June from SJPP..:p) I am really curious to know what you felt like going into the experience, and what you derived from it coming out the other end...other than a heap of blisters ;)

What had you hoped to achieve (be it a spiritual or physical goal) and did this come about?

I read that someone went home and ended a very long term relationship after the Camino as it helped them to gain clarity. What changes, if any, did you make on your return? Was it hard to settle back into your pre-Camino life?

Thanks everyone,

Katrina View attachment 10378

I really did not know what to expect before I started on the Camino. It ended up being a deeper experience for me than I had thought I would experience. I eventually viewed my journey as a metaphor for my life, with a beginning, middle, and end, and as such, I became convinced that I do not want to rush through my life, but rather to take my time and savor the moment, especially the unexpected delights of the everyday, devoid of the anxiety I have often attached to new experiences. I came to think of the bones of St. James in the church in Santiago as the bones of Everyman and symbolically representing my own end of life. I know this is my own personal symbolism for that, and many others attach different meanings that are equally valid and meaningful for them. Thinking of those bones as the end of life made me think more clearly about what I want for myself for the time I have left. It has been an impetus to engage more fully with myself and the world around me. I don't always succeed in that, but that's the direction I want to go. So I went into the Camino with relatively few expectations and came out feeling touched and enriched by the experience. I don't think I would give myself any specific advice in hindsight. I think the Camino has potential to profoundly affect a person in many positive ways, if they are open to that possibility.

Oh Simeon....I love what you wrote and wish I could be that succinct yet eloquent.

I especially love your request to have your strengths and weaknesses revealed depending on your needs. That gem is going into my notebook. Thanks :)

This time in two weeks I will be in SJPP hopefully gearing up to commence my pilgrimage. Soooooo nervous and excited.

Hi Katrina,

You are very welcome. Thank you for the kindness.

Will wave to you from the Camino Norte as that is where I will be starting in two weeks. If there is anything to assist you with, please feel free to ask. Been on the Caminos for well over 100 days in one Way or another and have learned a few things. Always enjoy extending the helping hand, pouring another's glass of vino, sharing chocolate, listening.

SJPdP is a wonderful place to start. I wish you the best of all journeys.

Trust in the arrows,
Simeon

Unfortunately my Camino is coming to a clothes due to both injury and unpreparedness.

While I enjoyed and went by what I heard about others experiences, I should have been more in tune with myself. One can't expect to go from a couch potato/living on blogs/spending more time on this forum to being fully prepared to walk.

The other issue I had was that after Zubiri (where my injuries started to accumulate), I only was able to walk about 10 km before I had to stop. This meant I got to my rest stops earlier in the day. When you find yourself in an Albergue with no one to talk to in your own language...that is tough emotionally. While walking I had no issue in that area, I wish I had someone waiting at the other end. Maybe in better shape, I would be able to push a couple of more km.

So my advice is that if you really want to do this...prepare body first. If you want to start in SJPDP and do the Napoleon Route, get your leg muscles strong, especially quads as you will be climbing A LOT that first day. Make a reservation at Orrisson, it was my best night...

The forum is good, I did get a lot of good information... I do think if you are a newby like me, don't gloss over the negative posts and think that is not me... Within some of those threads, there are things you may learn from those who have experienced some part, and give some information to be aware of.

I am not DONE with the Camino, but for now I am done with the walking. I am going to go for a little bit to the coast before heading back. I plan to prepare better and take it in phases so I can eventually get to Santiago on my own two feet.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Unfortunately my Camino is coming to a clothes due to both injury and unpreparedness.

I do think if you are a newby like me, don't gloss over the negative posts and think that is not me... Within some of those threads, there are things you may learn from those who have experienced some part, and give some information to be aware of.

I am not DONE with the Camino, but for now I am done with the walking. I am going to go for a little bit to the coast before heading back. I plan to prepare better and take it in phases so I can eventually get to Santiago on my own two feet.

Kris

Thank you, Kris, for your honesty and courage in sharing your experience. I hope that you do stay tuned and listening, so that when it is right for you to continue the walking part of your Camino you will be ready.

I make light-hearted remarks about my own sad efforts to prepare myself each time - but it is true that the Camino is not a "walk in the park".

While I enjoyed and went by what I heard about others experiences, I should have been more in tune with myself. One can't expect to go from a couch potato/living on blogs/spending more time on this forum to being fully prepared to walk.

The other issue I had was that after Zubiri (where my injuries started to accumulate), I only was able to walk about 10 km before I had to stop. This meant I got to my rest stops earlier in the day. When you find yourself in an Albergue with no one to talk to in your own language...that is tough emotionally. While walking I had no issue in that area, I wish I had someone waiting at the other end. Maybe in better shape, I would be able to push a couple of more km.

So my advice is that if you really want to do this...prepare body first. If you want to start in SJPDP and do the Napoleon Route, get your leg muscles strong, especially quads as you will be climbing A LOT that first day. Make a reservation at Orrisson, it was my best night...

The forum is good, I did get a lot of good information... I do think if you are a newby like me, don't gloss over the negative posts and think that is not me... Within some of those threads, there are things you may learn from those who have experienced some part, and give some information to be aware of.

Kris

Hi Kris,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us and I wish you well with your personal goal for a future Camino. It takes great courage and conviction to know when to let go of something, in spite of ones deepest desire to see it through till the end.

Safe travels home.

Katrina :)

I really did not know what to expect before I started on the Camino. It ended up being a deeper experience for me than I had thought I would experience. I eventually viewed my journey as a metaphor for my life, with a beginning, middle, and end, and as such, I became convinced that I do not want to rush through my life, but rather to take my time and savor the moment, especially the unexpected delights of the everyday, devoid of the anxiety I have often attached to new experiences. I came to think of the bones of St. James in the church in Santiago as the bones of Everyman and symbolically representing my own end of life. I know this is my own personal symbolism for that, and many others attach different meanings that are equally valid and meaningful for them. Thinking of those bones as the end of life made me think more clearly about what I want for myself for the time I have left. It has been an impetus to engage more fully with myself and the world around me. I don't always succeed in that, but that's the direction I want to go. So I went into the Camino with relatively few expectations and came out feeling touched and enriched by the experience. I don't think I would give myself any specific advice in hindsight. I think the Camino has potential to profoundly affect a person in many positive ways, if they are open to that possibility.

Am loving your blog.....esp the zipper story :D

I also enjoyed your epilogue....I am naughty like that.....read the end first !

Post-Camino I am so glad I went. I am a more genuinely spiritual person. My wife has remarked that I am a better husband. I have stopped searching for happiness. Everything I need...I already have. I could talk or write about my Camino all day. People who have not gone cannot begin to fathom its effect.
Go and experience it for yourself.

Trent Shupperd
Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app
I just read your comments about your Camino experience. Good for you and good for your wife. My wife will be with me as we walk our first Camino this Sept. May we find what we are looking for, "it" is out there.
Thank you

These are great questions to consider. I completed my first pilgrimage 2/3 of the way by bike and walking the rest of the way. I am going back again to do a slightly different route and will be walking... Except for the part going from Paris to Bayonne or Irun. I am trying not to have expectations but I am a human being, it's in my nature to imagine and try and create my reality. That's what I love about adventure travel and pilgrimage especially. We try to create our own realities to keep us within the confines of our own comfort zone but the Universe has other ideas...
I am a wanderer by nature. I'm not sure what I would do if I ever stopped wandering... Plant apple seeds proably and live long enough for them to bear fruit.

I have walked sections of the Camino every year since May 2011 and I never even imagined the magnitude this experience was going to have in my life.

First off, I made peace with my body. When I stepped on Roncesvalles after walking in from SJPDP feeling ecstatic and wonderfully tired I really gained a lot of respect for my body. This body that I had been so critical off for years had just carried me across and I could not do anything else but completely embraced it and be grateful.

I gained patience...and I needed so badly!! One foot in front of the other, one breath at a time and before you knew it that town was on sight, that hill was conquered, the rain had subsided, the thirst was quenched. All in due time; never too soon and never too late.

Clutter became a bad, bad word. I came home and cleared closets and got rid of a lot of stuff. If you asked me today what did I get rid of I could not tell you because I have never missed it.

I learned that whether you have a plan or not, life goes on; might as well jump on it! :)

Having checked in with this thread again and reading so many interesting and thought-provoking posts, I found myself thinking about my own experiences again and remembering feelings and ideas I've had at certain points since that first walk in 2012.

I don't know what I expected from the Camino, I tried not to build it up too much, I didn't want to invest it with so many hopes and aspirations that it couldn't possibly deliver on them all, but thinking about what comes to mind easiest at this remove of two years, it's interesting to me that those points relate to things that were barely on my radar when I arrived in St Jean on Monday, May 21, 2012.

The first thing is, the Camino experience has made me more accepting, not just of others, but also of myself. That can be both profound and banal all at the same time. I think pre-Camino I was more judgemental than I realised, probably not as much as I had been a few years previously, but the Camino accelerated whatever process of change I was going through at that time. It's like a life 'hack' in that way, as if you're cheating somehow, but in a good way. It's as if whatever journey you're on in your mind, the Camino - partly because of that time dilation effect I mentioned in my earlier post - short circuits the process and helps you reach a point of self-awareness and/or discovery that you might have needed years to gradually reach in your 'normal' life.

Now, I don't expect people to agree with me on, well, just about anything and I resist that ego-driven temptation to think that if someone has a different opinion on any aspect of life that they're 'wrong'. We all know people who feel the need to hammer you over the head with their opinion and explain at length why you're wrong if, God forbid, you don't share their opinion on X. Such people are much better at talking than they are at listening and are much more focused on you hearing what they have to say than they are on hearing what you have to say. Once upon a time, I was THAT person, but I was already moving away from that before I became seduced by the idea of the Camino; indeed, had I not already evolved to some extent, the Camino wouldn't have interested me at all. However far down that line I was by May 2012, by the time I returned home and the dust had settled in my mind, I had fast-forwarded that process to such an extent that friends noticed and commented upon it. I think some of them preferred the version of me that banged tables, spoke passionately, and confused opinion with knowledge. He was fun! I like to think I'm still entertaining company, and am certainly still capable of speaking passionately and banging the odd table, but perhaps I'm a little more subtle and thoughtful now!

As I said, I've also become more accepting of myself. That may be the more banal side of things! It's little things mostly, but it makes it easier for me to be me. My internal monologue voice used to be fairly harsh and unforgiving, but I'm nicer to myself now. Not 'easy', but 'nicer'. For me, they're two different things. Perhaps it's best put by saying I'm more of a friend to myself than I used to be. I've always been a thinker, sometimes perhaps to a fault, and I like to plan things out and be organised. That's not to say I can't be spontaneous, but I need some structure in my life. Pre-Camino, I had reached a point in life where I came to feel like I was 'wrong' to be like that, I convinced myself that I would be happier if I could change that part of myself. I have a lot of friends who barely plan 5 minutes ahead of time and it's sometimes a source of amusement to them that I plan certain aspects of my life months ahead, and I have often been encouraged to "go with the flow" more. I started the walk in 2012 hoping I would somehow 'learn' how to not feel the need to be such a planner, but instead by the time I returned home - and this surprised me a little bit - I had reached an accommodation with myself. The way I put it to one friend at the time was something like: "I like to plan, I like to be organised, it may not work for you, but it works for me, and that's ok." And it is ok. I don't fight against my nature anymore. I try not to be a slave to that nature, of course, but neither do I fight it.

On a related point, I feel differently about notions of personal freedom now. Pre-Camino I wanted to feel more free, as if the answer to that desire somehow resided outside of me. Again, I looked at friends who seemed less burdened and were more free-spirited, and I aspired to be more like that, but wanted to find out how. But at some point I came to realise that freedom is a choice, and the answer to that desire was simply to choose it. It's maybe not as straightforward as that makes it sound, but without consciously making that choice, freedom is impossible. So, perhaps it's a pre-requisite, but a bloody important one. When I was trying to explain that to a friend, I said: "I'm never going to be a hippy. I'm not that guy, and if I tried, it wouldn't be a good fit." You can't hammer a square peg into a round hole, no matter how much that square peg wished it was round!

The comparison I think of is with scientific studies of happiness and what seems to work for people. Research tells us that extroverts are more likely to be happy and so it's not unusual for prescriptions for 'how to be happier' to basically tell people to do what works for extroverts. That's fine... if you're an extrovert, but what if you're an introvert? To ask an introvert to behave like an extrovert is well-intentioned, but ultimately misguided. What works for an extrovert will not necessarily work for an introvert. And that's the realisation that the Camino gave to me. To be an introvert in a sea of extroverts, it's not unusual to feel like there's something 'wrong' with you, but to realise that's not the case, that it's a simply a matter of needing different things to be happy... Now that's freedom!

I look forward now to whatever surprise insights the Camino will hold for me this year!

As I have less than 24 hours to leave this is my current pre-Camino thoughts since they have run rampant with my mind and taken over any logic or advice.

1. Wtf are you doing Kat? No really....you could have found yourself at a nice retreat somewhere with daily pampering. Wow...your concussion must be bad

2. Why the hell did you leave it to the absolute last day to get a backpack, fix your broken mobile phone, and buy some things....seriously

3. How can I get upgraded to business class??

4. Why did you decide to go so soon.. I mean Friday 13th...haven't you had enough bad luck lately,,,,are you tempting fate ?

5. OMG...seriously.... You try your hiking shoes now? How can you wear them in now?

6. Repeat statement 1. Ad nauseum ;)

I will be back to post my post Camino advice god willing.

Repeat statement 1 and fade to black

Xox

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back