• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Priest needing advice on first Camino

Fr C

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all. Im a 55 yr old priest, don’t get to exercise as i should but healthy. I have a group of 5 that wants me to lead them on their 1st Camino. They all walk and are in better shape but really begging me to lead them.

Im caught because i don’t know that I can do even the easiest route for the 100k. Started spiradically walking 2 miles a day. Did 5 miles last week and I ran out of gas(not to mention boredom factor).

I could REALLY use your advice.My head wants to go but with minimal training, is this a mistake or am I overthinking it? My schedule doesnt allow for crazy training. Like I said, just stsrting with 2 mi a couple times a week. Its in May 2020.

HELP!!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fr, welcome here!
If you're called, you should go.

I was in the same boat as you, as far as training and the possibility of that were concerned.
I just went without training, and haven't looked back.

That said I like to walk and do it most days, even if it's only a km or so. This may be your main challenge.
I don't mean to presume, but I can't help but suggest that if you're bored, find a way not to be. Contemplation and meditation can be boring too, but they're worth doing...and walking is a great contemplative activity.

Not knowing specifics about your fitness or health none of us can give much specific advice about how to got more comfortable with the physicality. But if you're in good health, it should be possible to work up to what you need to be able to do.

If it's from Sarria, than it doesn't require super fitness and you have time to build some cardio stamina before then.

The adrenaline will get you through the first couple days, then you are almost there. Walking the camino stays interesting so you don't get bored of walking (tired yes) and there are coffee spots and benches in town squares to rest and refuel. You don't have to walk non-stop, so your body can just find it's own speed.

The bigger quandry will come if the group wants to actually walk together as a group. Therein lies the problem. Everyone has their own speed and if you are rushing to keep up, injuries become a real risk.

Try walking with them now. Perhaps the conversation as you walk will help. (For me, I don't enjoy walking and talking, but you may like it.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I led a pilgrimage to Germany in May and when all was said and done we did 46 miles. Bit that was short, distracted walking from one place to another.

maybe this is not answerable but what should I be able to do daily or weekly to have confidence I can make it?

Really appreciate your responses and insight. Have you encountered the person who couldnt make it ad a result not of weight or health but not enough training?

portuguese coastal was recommended for the quiet pilgrimage aspect.

Father, I once walked a part of the camino with a lady who had undergone chemo and had huge swelling of her ankles. She hobbled 15-20 km per day and on arrival into town at the end of those days, she hobbled to the church to give thanks. She had been a hospital nurse and was used to being on her feet all day, but chemo robbed her of her strength. She was terminal, and determined she would walk before she died. I am humbled every time I think something is hard.

The rest of us can manage, even if we incur a few blisters. Ask your doctor for a training plan, it doesn't have to be only walking. Swimming, basketball, running (😉), yoga, dancing, etc etc, can all contribute.

Enjoy the preparations. Life happens while we make plans, seize the day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I should add. Lots of people quit or are forced off the route due to lack of interest, injury, lack of commitment, not realizing it was hard to walk day after day after day. Mostly we never hear from them here again.

I started about this time last year, walking 30 minutes per day and eventually stretching out my Saturday walks. I even began adding a backpack in early spring. Not only was I able to walk the Camino, I dropped 60 lbs.

i think some of the rhetoric of “you can’t train for the Camino” has its place. There’s no way to walk between 10 - 30Km per day unless that’s part of our usual routine already.

I would suggest starting out slow—30 min walk 3x per week and a longer walk on your day off. As you get to early spring, try to have worked your way to your long walk being 15km. Don’t feel like you have to simulate the distances and the day after day of long distances at home—you’ll just wear yourself down before you get to Spain.

You can do this... you’ve got this!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just because you are leading the group doesn't mean that you have to be with them all of the time either. If they are faster you can prepare for the day and they can walk at their own pace and you can all meet up at points along the way for meals or debriefing, etc.

Definitely train as much as possible - people DO drop out due to inadequate fitness levels. However, you can also send your pack ahead to ease your load, plan for short daily distances, and NOT walk as a group so each person can do their own speed. I cannot imagine boredom will be an issue out there as nature and fellow pilgrims will be beautiful distractions on the route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If pack weight becomes a problem, due to stuff you need to tote as the spiritual director of the pilgrimage, you could either send the pack ahead with various pack carry services or you could tow a 2-wheeled contraption with your stuff on it. (See Dave Bugg who has a towed thing with first aid kit, posts a lot on this board.)

It does depend on whether you're locking yourself in to stop points. If you're on the Frances, there are lots of churches that are open. I don't know if they all have a pastor in the village all the time, or have an attendant to stamp sellos into the credenciales most of the time and a circuit-riding priest who comes in at a certain time once per week.

The question that arises is whether the people who want you to go are (1) going to want you to offer Mass for them every day and (2) going to help out with the carrying, the lodging, etc. as if they want you to say Mass every day for them they're essentially wanting you to work every day. If there are only 5 in the group it becomes a more noticeable burden for each of them--worth it, of course, but noticeable.

You need shoes you can be on your feet all day in. And they should be a size larger than your dress shoes, as your feet will swell. (Cue the many, many threads on this board about equipment. You should weigh your "priestly necessaries" and fit the rest of your kit around that number, IMHO.)

It's quite likely that what you think is a desire of the people who asked is actually a call from Someone Else. ;)
He does things that way.

Buen camino

Well, if you walk the Portugues Coastal in May you may need to book ahead as it's a busy season there and the route is popular. If you are looking for peace and quiet there then maybe consider taking Variante Espiritual after Pontevedra. The route is very scenic, it is usually done in 2 days, there is a monastery there at the end of the first day. The 3rd day most people take a boat ride to Pontecesures, you will see crosses near the water there. Espiritual is a bit hilly but not difficult. You won't need heavy hiking boots for the Coastal as the route is easy, no mountains there so trail runners/runners would do there. As for training for the Portugues Coastal or Central you really don't need a special sports routine, you just need stamina. I am not into any sports at all and I often get tickets just days before flying off, so walked many Caminos in Portugal without any training whatsoever. The only matter is to get the shoes which are comfortable to walk in for you and try to carry a backpack with the weight that you are planning to carry. If it's possible try to integrate walking with some weights into your regular life, just when running errands and the like. Bom Caminho! :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Father.

A priest in San Juan de Ortega told us many are called to camino, but few make it, ergo we were the lucky few.

If you can manage a few miles now with training you can do more in a few months or so.

I think it’s an honor folks want you to lead them on this pilgrimage.

Look up the history of the journey. Maybe, your group can make that a project. Or, do a collective read, fiction or non. Shirley MaClaine’s “Camino” is beyond entertaining.

Or, “Off The Road”, by John Hitt’s, a bit more realistic. And, a reference for Martin Sheen’s movie The Way.

Schedule a group walk as soon as possible. This will help you all gauge whether or not you wish to do this.

Buen camino to you all.

Let us know what you decide.

Last edited:
Hi all. Im a 55 yr old priest, don’t get to exercise as i should but healthy. I have a group of 5 that wants me to lead them on their 1st Camino. They all walk and are in better shape but really begging me to lead them.

Im caught because i don’t know that I can do even the easiest route for the 100k. Started spiradically walking 2 miles a day. Did 5 miles last week and I ran out of gas(not to mention boredom factor).

I could REALLY use your advice.My head wants to go but with minimal training, is this a mistake or am I overthinking it? My schedule doesnt allow for crazy training. Like I said, just stsrting with 2 mi a couple times a week. Its in May 2020.

HELP!!!!

I doubt you'll get bored once on the Camino.
Use a taxi when you run out of gas; I am assuming your party wants you for spiritual/religious guidance/leadership and not actual walking guidance.
Break in your hiking shoes/boots before you arrive, that's 50% done.

Good luck and Buen Camino

Failure to train will significantly increases chances of injury during the Camino.

Average day on the Camino is 10-20 miles (16-32KM). If you can't do this mileage repeatedly at home, how can you suddenly do this in Spain? You should be concerned about real possibility of injury to yourself and others injuring themselves.

-Paul

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can’t thank you all enough for your answers! Helps to be able to bounce it off of those who understand.
I’ve led 19 pilgrimages around the world over 28 years.(with none less than 50 people by myself-its the walking not the pilgrimage thats getting me. Never had a problem on those Trips but walking a straight shot last week for 5 miles with incline seemed like 20!!!

Lets say I’m a novice, how far are most of you walking each day in training(i have a new walking treadmill)
God bless.

Looking at Camino Ways which seems to be 7-10 miles solid-one day 12 miles on Portuguese. Coastal looked beautiful for retreat. Frances lioks good for stopping along the way

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can do this Father. You have 6 months to “train”. Make that 6 months to develop a healthier lifestyle. Your healthier lifestyle will pay off in more ways than just the Camino. I suggest using a fitness tracker like Fitbit or Garmin and see how many steps you average per day after a weeks time. What ever your average is, add 500 steps to that for your second and third weeks. Then increase your goal another 500 steps for the next couple of weeks. Keep increasing until you reach 10,000 steps each day. In the meantime, practice deep breathing exercises to increase your oxygen levels and that helps improve stamina.

That really helps alot!!!! About what should I get to daily (schedule is limited) CAN I BREAK IT UP so that its daily?

60 lbs is great!!!! Seriously congratulations!!!!

Thanks for the PRACTICAL advice. Thats what I need to determine if I can. The company carries the luggage. One company has several 16 and 18 mile days on Frances(sounds like Mt Everest)

Is there a route preferable for novice and less busy?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the PRACTICAL advice. Thats what I need to determine if I can. The company carries the luggage. One company has several 16 and 18 mile days on Frances(sounds like Mt Everest)

Is there a route preferable for novice and less busy?

Again do not overthink it. it will work out fine.
If you want to end in Santiago de Compostela and receive your Compostela then the routes for the novices IMHO are the Frances or the Portugues. And then you will have to accept that it can be rather busy in certain months.

Last edited:

HELP!!!!
I was 68 when I walked my first Camino...also a Catholic Deacon. I would not recommend leading a group my first time out. There is a lot to learn first. If you are only walking 100 Km, you will need to start in Sarria if you want to earn the Compostela (certificate) and arrive in Santiago.

You need to make time for more exercise. The Camino can be quite tough and injuries are common and there are several deaths on the trail each year. Be prepared for 2-3 hours of constant uphill in some places. There is on hill locally called "The Mule Killer". You have to be prepared. If you decide to lead a group, I would get a SPOT device. It updates your location every 10 minutes while on the trail, but the important feature is an emergency button that will get help to you in minutes. Members of your group may need that help. Become an expert on treating blisters.

I have attached my planned Camino for next year to give you some idea of what to expect. I hope it helps. You can contact me more directly at the Facebook group Western Pennsylvania Chapter. It is linked to the American Pilgrims on the Camino group page.

Lot of good advice here.
Personaly,I trained for the Camino Primitivo ,when aged 67, by walking up & down stairs each evening for half an hour. Long enough to say my rosary ! I did this for about 6 weeks, and for 4 weeks wore my pack with 6 litres of bottled water in it. I did this in socks.
To get used to my lightweight boots I also walked in them for 5 miles each weekend , for 10 weekends. I think this is very important.(However I found in reality good trainers/running shoes wouldve been cooler!)
Then, on the Camino, I tried to limit myself to 20 km,more or less. I managed fine, and the Camino Primitivo is supposed to be the toughest route.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

HELP!!!!
How about a treadmill?

Hola Fr C. There are no required daily distances on the Camino Francés - it all depends on how much time you have available. My husband and I had lots of time and walked from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela over 53 days - this included three rest days. Our shortest distance was 7 kilometres and longest was 25 - we averaged 16 kilometres (10 miles) per day. We certainly didn't walk the stages set in the guide books. I can't comment on other Camino routes but on the Francés there are many many places to stop for the night. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, if you walk the Portugues Coastal in May you may need to book ahead as it's a busy season there and the route is popular. If you are looking for peace and quiet there then maybe consider taking Variante Espiritual after Pontevedra. The route is very scenic, it is usually done in 2 days, there is a monastery there at the end of the first day. The 3rd day most people take a boat ride to Pontecesures, you will see crosses near the water there. Espiritual is a bit hilly but not difficult. You won't need heavy hiking boots for the Coastal as the route is easy, no mountains there so trail runners/runners would do there. As for training for the Portugues Coastal or Central you really don't need a special sports routine, you just need stamina. I am not into any sports at all and I often get tickets just days before flying off, so walked many Caminos in Portugal without any training whatsoever. The only matter is to get the shoes which are comfortable to walk in for you and try to carry a backpack with the weight that you are planning to carry. If it's possible try to integrate walking with some weights into your regular life, just when running errands and the like. Bom Caminho! :)
Hi. I was wondering what you think of this itinerary, starting next week. I have decided that a realistic daily pace for me is 15-20 km max.
Tui-O'Porrino;O'Porrino-Redonela;redonela-Pontevedra;then join spiritual to Combarro; Combarro to Barrantes;Barrantes to Ponte Arnerlas; Ponte Arnelos - Padron; Padron-Teo;Teo-SDC
Appreciate your input!

Mr Magoo. Mr Magoo !!!! Top effort on the training plan.
But I don't think the Catholic church approves of people exercising whilst praying.
They're all in favour of people praying whilst exercising though. 😁

Looking at Camino Ways which seems to be 7-10 miles solid-one day 12 miles on Portuguese. Coastal looked beautiful for retreat. Frances lioks good for stopping along the way
Maybe you’re thinking that you have to push yourself for your chosen daily distance? .. it’s not like that on camino (or not for many of us that like to take it more slowly ). If you’re walking the camino Frances or camino Portuguese..; you’ll have lots of rest opportunities.. you don’t ‘Have’ to walk fast nor continually.. as someone suggested ; just choose to be the rearguard, and you’ll have time to stop and enjoy a break for those feet many times each day. You’ve obviously walked with people on Pilgrimage many times before - this will be more similar than you think. Just the unknown factor that is concerning you.
Buen camino
Annie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was 68 when I walked my first Camino...also a Catholic Deacon. I would not recommend leading a group my first time out. There is a lot to learn first. If you are only walking 100 Km, you will need to start in Sarria if you want to earn the Compostela (certificate) and arrive in Santiago.

You need to make time for more exercise. The Camino can be quite tough and injuries are common and there are several deaths on the trail each year. Be prepared for 2-3 hours of constant uphill in some places. There is on hill locally called "The Mule Killer". You have to be prepared. If you decide to lead a group, I would get a SPOT device. It updates your location every 10 minutes while on the trail, but the important feature is an emergency button that will get help to you in minutes. Members of your group may need that help. Become an expert on treating blisters.

I have attached my planned Camino for next year to give you some idea of what to expect. I hope it helps. You can contact me more directly at the Facebook group Western Pennsylvania Chapter. It is linked to the American Pilgrims on the Camino group page.

A SPOT device seems a little extreme when all you will likely need is a Mobile phone with a Spanish SIM card and your group members' local phone numbers. Or create a Group in What's App and keep in touch that way. An iPhone with Location Sharing turned on will allow you and your group to keep track of one another.

As far as training goes, I'm 62 and just got back from the Portuguese Coastal Camino. We walked 5-10km per day leading up to our Camino and we did just fine. Our first day was 26km and we made it. There are always taxis for those days when things hurt, or a blister has made another 1km impossible. Well broken in shoes or hikers, and a reasonable level of fitness is good preparation. You will want to return. You will treasure being a Pilgrim.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Oh no, you will not get bored on the Camino!!! When you are reasonably fit you will enjoy it all the better. IMHO the Camino is very special. Be open. I envy first timers; they worry about distances until they get hooked on the magic!!

A
Mr Magoo. Mr Magoo !!!! Top effort on the training plan.
But I don't think the Catholic church approves of people exercising whilst praying.
They're all in favour of people praying whilst exercising though. 😁
Ah! But I have read that one of Saint Francis of Assisi's religious brothers found he could pray +meditate best by running,.i.e. exercising while praying..(ref: Fr. Augustine Baker's commentary on 'Cloud of Unknowing') ....

As for the "boredom factor", the worst of that is in the pre-hike training period.

The Camino itself is a place of constant surprise.

Religiously though, it's a hike from parish to parish to parish -- wherever a pilgrim may be on his walk, that is his parish on that day.

And if you can do five miles on your training walks, that's a good start -- try and work up towards 8 then to 10, but truth is you're likely to surprise yourself after you get into the actual business of the foot pilgrimage ; most people end up very quickly walking much further every day than they imagined possible.

Buen Camino, and God Bless !!

portuguese coastal was recommended for the quiet pilgrimage aspect.
If you're only looking to do just the 100km required to get the Compostela, you'd be walking much farther if you start farther south in Portugal itself. The usual starting point for those on the Camino Portugués who are walking 100km is Tui, which is just inside Spain and roughly 120km from Santiago.

Father C. I am so happy you are considering the Camino. I have been talking with a local LaSalette priest who hopes to do the Camino next Fall. He will be 80 years old! I would suggest a couple of books for you to read- To the Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela by Kevin Codd, a priest. Another good book is Hiking the Camino: 500 Miles with Jesus, also written by a priest named Dave Pivonka.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Father C. I am so happy you are considering the Camino. I have been talking with a local LaSalette priest who hopes to do the Camino next Fall. He will be 80 years old! I would suggest a couple of books for you to read- To the Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela by Kevin Codd, a priest. Another good book is Hiking the Camino: 500 Miles with Jesus, also written by a priest named Dave Pivonka.
I'll second the recommendation of the two books mentioned. Another Camino book that may be of interest is "Walk in a Relaxed Manner," by Joyce Rupp, a well-known Catholic nun.

I think that deacon c0484' s advice is useful about walking it before leading a group. Still, 5 is not a killer number. Make sure you take your celebret as you will need it at the cathedral in Santiago to concelebrate at the pilgrim's mass (they love pilgrim priests, and have all the kit there you will need); as well, you will likely be welcome at village churches along the way-- practise with the Novus Ordo in Spanish/Castellano.

As far as training goes, you will first of course consult with your physician, who may have some useful notions. As in much of the US and Canada, casual walking is not that easy (sidewalks can be a fantasy in many places), you might find that an hour daily on a treadmill is helpful (you can say your offices using an app), and on your free day, a long walk. Start with 5km and work upward. If you are a golfer, then kick the golf cart aside and walk the course--ignore the course staff yelling at you and pretend that they are asking for blessings.

Which route depends on how much time you want to dedicate to this. The 100km from Sarria will get you your compostela, but you might want to think about walking the flatter part of the Primitivo out of Lugo, as that will give you and your group a few quiet days before you head onto the Interstate (oops!) of the Camino Francese. I would also suggest that you look at shorter stages than many would suggest-- perhaps 20km/day would be a good max.

As well, you're overthinking it. Tranquillo is a lovely Spanish word. You might find Canadian Mennonite theologian Arthur Boers' The Way is Made by Walking, to be a useful book.

HELP!!!!
Go for it Padre! You can always bus/taxi ahead and be the advanced scout. Last year ran into a couple where the spouse couldn't keep up, so she bussed ahead. It was great to arrive into a town knowing she had already planned where we were going to sleep and eat. And for you guys knew what time mass was.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

HELP!!!!

Go for it Padre! You can always bus/taxi ahead and be the advanced scout. Last year ran into a couple where the spouse couldn't keep up, so she bussed ahead. It was great to arrive into a town knowing she had already planned where we were going to sleep and eat. And for you guys knew what time mass was.
The challenge is there please do it . Think of the healthth benifits you will get in adopting regular cardio training. If I was one of your parishioners I would be inspired by your walk . At 55 you are young and should be allocating time each day in your busy schedule to maintain a healthy body . I

HELP!!!!
Hello Father I'm 75 have walked the Camino at 70 and just returned from 360 ks walk Le Puy to Cahors . Please go ahead and walk inspire your group and your Parishioners . My advice also is to set aside time each day for your long term health . At 55 you are by today's standards considered to be young ! . I look forward to following your progress . I would love to be available over the next 6 months and get you in tip top shape for not only this walk but perhaps a full Camino ...Garry from Australia.

HELP!!!!

You're looking for a short cut for physical fitness. There isn't one.

Walking 30 minutes at least 5 times a week will get you to a reasonable level of fitness by May. Don't think of it as camino training but as necessary fitness for life.

If you want to ramp it up, find the biggest hill in your area and walk up and down until your 30 minutes is completed. Or get stair master equipment.

Any aerobic activity will do. Dance, kayak, cycle; the aim is heart and lungs; the rest will follow.

If you're looking for motivation, try finding a green space for walking, somewhere away from traffic and buildings. Take a book on local fauna and flora ... and look for it when you're out there.

Increasing fitness in preparation for Camino is a positive thing to do, but you need to be deliberate about how you proceed. You have enough time to make a significant increase from where you are now, without frantically pushing yourself too hard and beyond your body's ability to recuperate from each exercise session. That same deliberation will help prevent injury as well. Be consistent and patient. If you would like other more specific guidelines and suggestions, send me a PM. :)

This is something I had posted a while back.

As to training, there are really two different parts to focus on:
1. Cardiovascular fitness.
2. Muscle strengthening.

Cardiovascular fitness is the ability for your heart and lungs to supply oxygenated blood to your muscles during exercise under load, and your muscles ability to use that oxygen efficiently so they can produce energy.

Exercises should be used which will allow you to hit a target heart rate zone, over a for a period of time during exercising, which provides the needed aerobic effort for conditioning. This is a website which will help you calculate what your target heart rate zones will be.

https://www.lifespanfitness.com/fitness/resources/target-heart-rate-calculator

Treadmills at incline, running, walking at a faster than normal pace, walking up hills, rowing machines, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workouts, riding a bicycle at a faster than normal pace, swimming, etc. are all examples of effective aerobic exercises when used to achieve target heart rates.

Keep in mind that as your fitness level improves, it will take a more sustained effort to hit the same heart rate zones. That is why using target zones is so effective. They don't change relative to fitness level. Someone extremely out of shape does not exercise as hard as someone who is extremely fit to reach their target.

Muscle strength is a function of how much maximum force your muscles can exert against resistance. Exercises for strength will also provide a temporary aerobic effect, but the main goal is to increase your capability to function while under resistance.

Think about having to lift the weight of your body, with a pack, with each step going up the Pyrenees. Or being able to lift and carry a load. Or the constant resistance of your body weight and pack to your shoulders and to the 'core' muscles in your back and abdomen.

Some basic strengthening exercises for home include push-ups, lunges, squats and planks. A google search will show you the way to do these exercises.

Other conditioning issues involve things like ankles, feet, and flexibility. Do a search on this forum for posts about exercises to help prevent shin splints and to help prevent plantars fasciitis.

As your departure date nears and you've been involved in your fitness regimen for the next 10 weeks or so, rather than your routine exercise schedule, put on the clothing and footwear you will be using on Camino, load up your pack, and spend the next several days in a row walking. See how you feel and at what pace you are able to best sustain yourself. That will give you a baseline estimate to calculate logistical issues surrounding the question of how many days it may take to walk your Camino.

More than anything else, enjoy the entire process of getting ready for Camino. Write down your reasons for doing your camino: list your personal goals for doing Camino, and what type of experience you are hoping for. If you become discouraged with your preparations, or feel anxious and overwhelmed, or get a bit of cold feet about leaving home for the camino, or simply to refresh your resolve anew, review what you have written to yourself.

Also, think about what you can contribute, as a pilgrim, to the spirit and nature of the Camino when you begin your first steps toward Santiago. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

My wife and I did both our Caminos using Camino Ways. The first, on the Camino Frances, we did 210km from Ponferrada to SdC with CW forwarding our luggage and us carrying our day packs and water. It was wonderful. Our first day was 26km and we were fine. We just told ourselves that we were doing 5 short walks of an hour each, all in one day. We did fine!
Our second, this past September, was on the Camino Portuguese Coastal Route. It's less busy than the Frances, certainly, and the Atlantic Ocean and the villages along it are truly wonderful. This time, we packed light and carried our own gear, both of us keeping our gear under 10% of our weight, under 8kg for me. Camino Ways booked the accommodation. We enjoyed this route and the experience. If I was to return to do another Camino, I would want to carry all my own things and plan my own accommodation. But that is in the future.
Just do some regular walking every day and you will likely do just fine on whichever route you choose. Both of the Frances and Coastal are unique in their own ways. If I had to choose to do one of these over again I'd do the Portuguese route again, as I love the ocean views and the towns were special.
To get an overview of both of these routes, I suggest following the travels of Pilgrim Enfren, who has walked both of these routes and documented them in Vlogs. See https://www.youtube.com/user/efrenglez1/playlists

Aside- I think it's extraordinary that this community has been supporting this Priest, with all the positive suggestions, advice and prayers. It's a bit of a role reversal. But that is the Camino.

Bom Camino!
Buen Camino!
Ultreia!

HELP!!!!
[/QUvOTE]
You have 6 months to prepare. That is plenty of time. Walk 5 miles twice a week. From March walk 10 miles once a week. Walk will be about 2.5 mph, so only 4 hours to do it. Lose 6 kgms in weight. Read a book on mindful walking. Porto to Santiago is a nice route. Inland there is only one hard day. Read about the route and its history and what you will see. Plan a focus with your group. How do they want to be led? What are they looking for? Perhaps do a couple of group walks before you go. Let it stretch you beyond yourself. Ultreia!

Dear Fr C,
  • You should be fine IF you walk at your own pace.
  • Do it because you want to. Don't do it if you feel pressured.
  • Walk with the group beforehand as some have suggested. If your pace doesn't match up to theirs, problems could arise and make things uncomfortable.
I walked the CF in June/July 2019. I did it solo. Sometimes I'd walk with others. Best decision I made was to go solo. Here's a video link of my trip.
Buen Camino! :cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was 68 when I walked my first Camino...also a Catholic Deacon. I would not recommend leading a group my first time out. There is a lot to learn first.

Excellent point, there.

To be clear, are they asking you as a spiritual leader, or as a walk leader overall? As you've led so many groups before, you probably know all the ins and outs of having a tour company make all the practical arrangements. And as you say the others in the group are more experienced walkers than you are, maybe on of them would take on the daily responsibilities involved in keeping track of a group of walkers, leaving you to do what you do best.

As for getting in shape, I was 65 and overweight when I started walking last year; I had planned to work out and get into shape but never really found the time to train, although I was a fairly experienced walker. I have to say that in the end the only thing that worried me was keeping my footing on slippery/rocky terrain. Those times I just took it slow. I wouldn't worry about keeping up with the others, even husbands and wives don't walk joined at the hip all day, unless they really want to. If your accommodation is arranged beforehand and your bed is secured then you have nothing to worry about, except maybe having enough time to say mass at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Fr, welcome here!
If you're called, you should go.

I was in the same boat as you, as far as training and the possibility of that were concerned.
I just went without training, and haven't looked back.

That said I like to walk and do it most days, even if it's only a km or so. This may be your main challenge.
I don't mean to presume, but I can't help but suggest that if you're bored, find a way not to be. Contemplation and meditation can be boring too, but they're worth doing...and walking is a great contemplative activity.

Not knowing specifics about your fitness or health none of us can give much specific advice about how to got more comfortable with the physicality. But if you're in good health, it should be possible to work up to what you need to be able to do.
Hi, I am new to forum. Any advice on how to plan Sarria to Santiago on a flexible time/energy level. I am an Oap.

Not sure 🤔 how this works. New to forum. Oap 🧓. I would like advice on planning the trip Sarria to Santiago trip. Must be flexible as fitness varies day to day. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Di.
Sarria to Santiago is very achievable. It's just a series of short walks, back to back. The classic English
speaking guide would be Brierley, but don't think you have to follow his stages. You can break things up.
How fluid you can be will depend on when you walk. If you're outside the "popular" periods you'll be able to stop pretty much wherever you want. As an OAP you have all the time in the world 😜 Travel slowly and savour the moment

Buen Camino

Not sure 🤔 how this works. New to forum. Oap 🧓. I would like advice on planning the trip Sarria to Santiago trip. Must be flexible as fitness varies day to day. Thanks.
Hi Di,

There are many, many albergues between Sarria and Santiago that can make your walking day as long or as short as you want. The only caveat is many of them will be pre-booked by tour groups, so the number of available beds/rooms many be limited, especially during the warmer months. But that doesn't mean you won't be able to find a place to stay if you should feel that you can't go any further on a day. You can always stop at one of the many bars, call a taxi to pick you up, and return to that point by taxi the next morning to continue, re-jigging your schedule and accommodation after making any changes. I would book a couple of days ahead to be assured of a bed at the end of each day, and work my walking day around that plan. Even if you take all day to walk 10 kilometers, you don't have to worry about where you'll sleep that night. Look at the Brierley guide for guidance, but please DON'T follow the suggested distances there. Considering the loss and gain in elevation most of those days are closer to 30K than 24 or 25. I ran into so many older pilgrims who were lagging way behind their group and were really struggling if not suffering because they felt they had to keep up. Yes the terrain is not particularly difficult but if you start in Sarria and are not an experienced walker it won't seem that way. If you can afford it all this might be more easily arranged by a tour company if you tell them of your needs, I've hear of a group who walked in two weeks at 5 miles/day!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
Please use the search function (microscope in top right corner of screen) and search for words like ‘starting in Sarria’ and similar words based on what your concerns and questions are. You’ll find lots of information. When you have specific questions, please start a new thread so we can see them.

Happy planning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Fr. You do not indicate where in the world you are located. If you did, we might be able to link you up with one or more forum veterans to provide direct advice and recommendations.

You might even get lucky and score one of our camino 'addicts' who would be willing to accompany your group. Having someone along, who knows the proverbial ropes, is a big help. You are leading the pilgrimage, they are your local scout...

As you plan this, if you want, or may be asked to say Mass daily or frequently while on Camino, the easiest way is to ask the locals to borrow the local, likely locked church.

Though a layperson (I have the honor to be a lay-brother / cofrere in the Archconfraternity of the Glorious Apostle Santiago) in my observation, there is usually a small group, typically of older women, who continue to maintain and keep clean the inside of most closed churches along the Camino routes. Typically, they get together daily to recite the Rosary in the church, usually at about 7:30 pm, before an 8:00 pm Mass if they have a priest, like you.

If you get lucky, you might be able to piggy-back on this already gathered crowd to offer the Mass, just after the Rosary is recited, in Spanish...same prayers, different lingua franca.

To find out how to do this, I have seen instances where the bar / cafe closest to the church will know who has the key, and can make the phone call(s) for you. You, or someone else needs to speak Spanish well enough to make this request known.

Coordinate a Mass time 7:00 and 8:00 pm are popular. After the Daily Rosary works best. Then make certain that everyone knows they, and anyone else they can tell, is warmly welcome to attend. If the Mass will be part Spanish and part English, tell them this. Just having a live priest come to serve Mass is a really big deal in many of these smaller villages.

Assuming this works, you will achieve instant rock-star status. About the only thing better is to offer the full Mass in Spanish. However, you know where - at home- to obtain a copy of the Ordinary of the Mass in English/ Spanish. Practice makes perfecto...

To learn or polish your extant Spanish, I recommend www.duolingo.com as it is free. I have been using it daily for one-hour for at least 730 days, as of this afternoon.

Even if you just do the opening greetings, Penitential Act (or just use the Kyrie), Gloria, and Our Father in Spanish, plus the Creed. The Kyrie is fine in the original Greek, the Angus Dei is fine in Latin. Trust me, the Spanish know it.

BTW, and just a tip, homilies usually always relate to the Camino. As the Camino is an apt metaphor for life, this is usually not a problem. If you get lucky, the day's readings or Gospel might inspire you. But, do keep it short(ish) people are likely hungry and thirsty.

In Spain and in my experience, they use the shorter Apostles Creed, rather than the longer Nicene Creed. If you can do this in Spanish, that would be HUGE. You can say the rest of the Consecration prayers in silence or softly.

Finally on this point, my sense is that the ladies group in one village will know the ladies running the similar group, down the route. It MIGHT be possible to create a chain effect, where the folks you said Mass for tonight could call down the road to make arrangements for using the next available church. If you do not ask, the answer will always be 'no.'

This could also be helpful to arrange down the road lodging for a group. Out on the Camino, everyone knows everyone else. They cover each other and help one another. This could work to your benefit. If you have a good result at Village "A" with a Mass, offer to do it again at your next, stop, etc.

Add that you need to line up appropriate housing for your pilgrim group, if that might be possible, like to call ahead to a hostal or pension, etc...

Do not be surprised if the locals end up opening up their private homes to take you in. If this should happen, consider it like a donativo albergue and please leave a generous appropriate donation, a plain envelope would be nice, or wrapped in a sheet of paper. Allow these people to save face by not handing over cash. They might be offended. You DO NOT want to offend a Spaniard.

If there are supplies of wine and unconsecrated hosts, the ladies caring for the church will know where to find them, as well as the sacred vessels needed. Likewise if there are vestments for visiting priests. All you need to bring to the "party" is:
  • Your ordained Catholic priest ID card.
  • Your stole
  • Your mini - for when I say Mass just for me - kit
  • Some Spanish capability
Trust me, every village where this is possible will love it.

I hope this helps move the ball down the field / pitch a little.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.