• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions from a New Pilgirm

JohnCilladi

Time of past OR future Camino
Greetings,

My wife and I are from the USA, and have traveled to several European countries. We enjoy making our own travel plans and arrangements for accommodations. We can get to and from airports and train stations with little difficulty, so no problems there. Because of health concerns, we prefer to not sleep in dormitory rooms, so we will need a private room in each town we visit on our pilgrimage from Porto to Santiago de Compostela in June of 2022. Some of my questions might seem a little silly, so please be kind.

My questions:
  1. Are there hostels that also have private rooms? if so, how do you book them in advance?
  2. What is a "pension?" This word seems to be used for a type of accommodation, and it is really confusing to me.
  3. Is there "an app for that?" Can you book online?
Any other advice that you have would be appreciated. I am doing a lot of research, but it is a bit overwhelming. If we were in our 20s, I would be packing up and heading to Portugal without much concern. However, we are in our 60s, and it takes a little more planning. (Note to younger folk: Be careful about getting old. It's not for the faint of heart!)

Blessing to all!
John C

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You should be deluged with real answers soon...but as I understand it, yes some hostels have private rooms. Call the day before, or use Booking.com or a Camino app (I'll let others recommend them) for anything further out. According to my Camino guide, accommodations in Spain run from Parador (luxury) to hotel to hostel (hostal) to pension (private room, but bathrooms may be shared). Some Camino apps will allow you to make reservations through them Be careful with place names...a Camino app (unlike booking.com) will be more specific about where the accommodation is in relation to the Way.

Buen Camino.

Are there hostels that also have private rooms? if so, how do you book them in advance?
Yes, many of the private albergues (pilgrim hostels) have private rooms, some with shared baths, others with private baths.
What is a "pension?" This word seems to be used for a type of accommodation, and it is really confusing to me.
A pensión is a type of accommodation with private rooms - and like the private rooms in albergues the baths may be shared or private. Hostals are similar - sort of small family run hotels that often occupy just a floor or two of a building.
Is there "an app for that?" Can you book online?
There are a number of apps available.
Many people use booking.com (and their app) to book online, though some places have their own websites, or you can call or email to make reservations.

A fantastic resource is Gronze.com - it lists the accommodations that are close to the Camino routes, so that you don't find yourself booked into a place that's 5 miles off the Camino. They also link to booking.com, and you can see from the symbols for the albergues which ones have private rooms.

The Gronze site is in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate into English.

I should add that it's not necessary to book all of your accommodations before you get started on the Camino. Perhaps the first two or three nights, then a day or so ahead as you get into your rhythm.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Some of the popular apps are Wise Pilgrim

Buen Camino

Camino Ninja

I highly recommend the App from booking.com.

I do roadtrips in european countries regularly and most of the time without reservations.
The best working app to get an accomodation is really booking.com. Ease of use, the well known brand and the wide acceptance are the advantages here.

Have fun walking!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, good advise above. i did the CP litoral with espiritual in october last year and found the best app-combo to be:
Camino Ninja - Booking - Maps.me: where possible book direct, although i was suprised to find some actually prefer you book through booking. Oh and i had the maps only version of the Brierly guide, very much appreciated too.

Enjoy all the prep and have a great camino. it's really something!

Yes, many of the private albergues (pilgrim hostels) have private rooms, some with shared baths, others with private baths.

A pensión is a type of accommodation with private rooms - and like the private rooms in albergues the baths may be shared or private. Hostals are similar - sort of small family run hotels that often occupy just a floor or two of a building.

These are important distinctions and worth repeating as newer pilgrims think about accommodations for their upcoming Caminos:

Albergue - usually has dormitory-style rooms and is the cheapest accommodation. Some albergues will have private rooms.

Hostal - not to be confused with the English hostel (a hostel is more like the Spanish albergue). In Spain hostales are smaller hotels that can be cheaper than hotels, and are usually smaller than proper hotels.

Pensión - private rooms, and perhaps only a few rooms. The whole operation is usually smaller than a hotel and hostal. Like @trecile says, you may be sharing a bathroom with other guests.

Hotel - usually (not always) larger, perhaps (not always) more expensive, and will have required amenities to classify it as a hotel.

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@trecile gave you all the resources you need (#3).
My sugguestion, is similar to some of hers. Use Gronze to see the options in towns along the route. Use Booking.com to see the places you may want to stay at.

The categories you mentioned do not necessarily reflect the quality of the accommodations!
Rely on the ratings of booking.com and trip advisor…or ask other members.

June should be quite busy on the Camino Portuguese... barring another Covid19 wave and there will be lots of people who have delayed walking out there and it is also a Holy Year. My advice is to book ahead forJune! if you have an idea of how far you will walk each day, make reservations!!
Btw, there are companies that can transport your packs or luggage for part of or your whole camino!

Hi ETBlinkerman!
I used Booking.com for my first Camino last September did the Coastal,parts of the Senda Litoral and Spiritual Variant great walk!
I needed private rooms with bath as sight impaired and found what i wanted on the app!

However it was only on my return; that i found out about the large proportion of the room cost going to Booking .com and not in the pockets of the owners!!
I would still use the app next time ;but use it to find the contact info of the hotel and make the reservation direct! (as suggested in other posts)

I also booked my stays for the full 27 nights in Portugal and Spain because of my sight and needing my own safe space!( pilgrims are great; but my ability to get out of a bunk bed and find the loo three or four times a night when i have no vison in the dark it would defo make me the alburges most popular pilgrim:))

I won't do that on my next Camino as every day i had to get to my next bed even if i really wanted more time in my current location!
Once you've done your first day or two you will be fine!
Don't worry about your age you can do it!!! (i am 67 which is a spring chicken compared to a lot of experienced pilgrim's on the forum who still walk the Camino)

Don't carry more than you need !
But don't skimp on the water that you carry!!!!!

2022 i think is going to be mega busy so play it by ear as you walk!
Have a great walk.
Buen Camino
Woody

However it was only on my return; that i found out about the large proportion of the room cost going to Booking .com and not in the pockets of the owners!!
I would still use the app next time ;but use it to find the contact info of the hotel and make the reservation direct! (as suggested in other posts)
Booking.com is a reliable site which makes 15 percent. I do not consider the amount an unreasonable portion for the accommodations. Yes, the owners may give you a cheaper rate if you book individually, which I think actually means, that you are actually paying for most of their booking fee.

I, for one am content on paying the prices on booking.com, right now, because I can make all the bookings easily and on one site making changes instantly and more convenient.

2022 i think is going to be mega busy so play it by ear as you walk!
Have a great walk.
Buen Camino
Woody
YES, I agree, 2022 is likely to be a mega year which is precisely why I would encouraging folks to make reservations ahead. Booking allows you to cancel most reservations mostly 3-7 days ahead without penalty, sometimes even the same day. But read the fine print when you book for cancellation date parameters for each reservation

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Others have mentioned Booking.com which I use a lot for two reasons: there's no need for facility in Spanish or Portuguese; and there is usually an option for free cancellation / modification up to a few days before arrival. (One of the downsides of pre-booking is the need to change reservations if your walking schedule changes.)

In situations where you can't use Booking.com (often the case on Gronze.com) you will need to email the establishment directly (Gronze usually provides the email address and/or the website).

You can use Google Translate to generate your reservation requests and then cut/paste them into your email app. When the reply comes back in the local language you just reverse the process.

I've found it easy to do bookings this way on three Camino's. It takes a bit of effort, but works pretty well.

It's important that you keep good records of what you've booked both to prevent late cancellation charges and to avoid being a "no show".

Good luck and enjoy your Camino.

These are important distinctions and worth repeating as newer pilgrims think about accommodations for their upcoming Caminos:

Albergue - usually has dormitory-style rooms and is the cheapest accommodation. Some albergues will have private rooms.

Hostal - not to be confused with the English hostel (a hostel is more like the Spanish albergue). In Spain hostales are smaller hotels that can be cheaper than hotels, and are usually smaller than proper hotels.

Pensión - private rooms, and perhaps only a few rooms. The whole operation is usually smaller than a hotel and hostal. Like @trecile says, you may be sharing a bathroom with other guests.

Hotel - usually (not always) larger, perhaps (not always) more expensive, and will have required amenities to classify it as a hotel.

This is very helpful for me. What is a casa rural?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Other people have said this but it cannot be repeated enough. Please know that if you use booking.com they take a huge cut. So you are basically taking money out of the establihment's pockets. They pay for your convenience. If you're ok with that, go ahead - but don't fool yourself that you are supporting businesses along the camino, because really you're not.

If you sincerely want to help, and don't we all, make the very small effort to contact them directly. And if you're shy because of language, simply ask the proprieter of wherever you may be staying to help you book ahead.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
yes
It's a rural guest house - like a Bed and Breakfast in US or UK.
…but Not all Casa Rurals will serve breakfast.

A note on breakfasts. We are early risers, so we rarely eat breakfasts in our accommodations as some serve breakfast as latest 8:00am. So suggest you do not book breakfast ahead, if not already included in the price. This way you have more flexibility about your departure time.

Greetings,

My wife and I are from the USA, and have traveled to several European countries. We enjoy making our own travel plans and arrangements for accommodations. We can get to and from airports and train stations with little difficulty, so no problems there. Because of health concerns, we prefer to not sleep in dormitory rooms, so we will need a private room in each town we visit on our pilgrimage from Porto to Santiago de Compostela in June of 2022. Some of my questions might seem a little silly, so please be kind.

My questions:
  1. Are there hostels that also have private rooms? if so, how do you book them in advance?
  2. What is a "pension?" This word seems to be used for a type of accommodation, and it is really confusing to me.
  3. Is there "an app for that?" Can you book online?
Any other advice that you have would be appreciated. I am doing a lot of research, but it is a bit overwhelming. If we were in our 20s, I would be packing up and heading to Portugal without much concern. However, we are in our 60s, and it takes a little more planning. (Note to younger folk: Be careful about getting old. It's not for the faint of heart!)

Blessing to all!
John C
Hostels and Alburges are a little different. Alburges limit themselves to pilgrims and their schedules, mandatory early in and out with one night stay. Hostels do not specify and allow multiple nights. I never used a padlock in an alburge but felt it necessary in a hostel.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thank you for the definitions of each type of lodging. The word "Pension" was very confusing because of its use in various languages. Making the distinction between Hostal and Hostel was also enlightening.

Hostels and Alburges are a little different. Alburges limit themselves to pilgrims and their schedules, mandatory early in and out with one night stay. Hostels do not specify and allow multiple nights. I never used a padlock in an alburge but felt it necessary in a hostel.
Many private albergues allow more than one night's stay.

If you are using Booking.com to make your bookings, read every word of the information provided by the place where you plan to stay, before you make your booking. This can be crucial. I booked an inexpensive private room in Valencia for my arrival night in Spain last September. Turns out, reception closed at 6 pm, about the time that my flight would be landing in Valencia, if it was on time. I could request additional time to check in, if arranged in advance. From 10 to 11 p.m. would cost me 10 euros for reception to stay open, and after 11 I would have to walk the unknown streets of Valencia looking for accommodation. Fortunately, my flight was on time and it was easy and quick to get in by metro from the airport (Check what time public transit closes for the night, if you do not want to pay for a taxi). Also, if Booking.com states that various comforts are available, don't assume that they will be available to you, even if the wording suggests that they are. The receptionist thought that she was doing me a favour when she offered me a move to a double room with a bathtub for only 20 euros more than I paid for my single room with shower. The wording on Booking.com just said that bathtubs were available. I use Booking.com when booking an hotel, and expect to do so in future, but you have to know to read the information very carefully and to accept that you might not get exactly what you thought you were booking. Onviously, the most crucial aspect is where you are booking. When there is nothing in the specific location that you want, Booking.com will offer you something a day's walk away from where you plan to spend the night. You just have to be aware, and careful. It can help to be familiar with an online map which shows the neighbourhood around where you want to spend a night.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I do roadtrips in european countries regularly and most of the time without reservations.
The best working app to get an accomodation is really booking.com. Ease of use, the well known brand and the wide acceptance are the advantages here.

Have fun walking!
Many albergues do not use booking.com and will only accept reservations by calling ahead. Camino Ninja app has these albergues with private rooms that are not on booking.com.

Private albergues do take non pilgrims!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Even the not to be missed Casa Fernanda has a private room. You’ll need to call her to make a reservation. Her English is good so don’t hesitate to call.
And Fernanda’s you do not find on Booking.com And this is the best place to stay on the entire Caminho Português.
Fernanda has two privat rooms in her house and one double bed room and a room with three beds in the gardenhouse.
she can handle 20 persons max for one night.
Donation for one night stay per person is 20 € including an evening meal with drinks and a breakfast the next morning

you’ll find her between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima on the waymarked caminho path
18 kms from Barcelos and 14 kms from Ponte de Lima.
call her for a reservation. It can be busy . if you can not get through, give me a PM by conversation(click on my avatar). weekly I am in contact with her husband .
I will be at Fernanda‘s end of March coming for some days

Have fun walking!
I think if you can avoid using it, much better, they charge a lot to the hotels 🙄

Thank you. So that make meals (group dinners, breakfast) or have kitchens? Are they a distance off the Camino?

To my knowledge, most casa rurales will not have communal kitchens nor do they make group meals. It's more like a hotel but set in the countryside :). Sometimes they can be a distance off the Camino, too...but if you're looking for a quiet place they can be a nice place to rest.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This article is a helpful guide to the simple differences between a hotel, hostal, and pensión. It follows Madrid law, since all the autonomous communities in Spain can have their own way of classifying accommoations, but it's a good general overview. Google Chrome can translate into English!

This article is a helpful guide to the simple differences between a hotel, hostal, and pensión. It follows Madrid law, since all the autonomous communities in Spain can have their own way of classifying accommoations, but it's a good general overview. Google Chrome can translate into English!

It's a good guide, but unfortunately, if one uses the Chrome browser auto-translate function into English, it translates hostales to hostels, although hostales are a different class of accommodation from hostels.

Thank you for the reference! I actually found another reference within your reference that somewhat surprise me. It had to do with the number of stars a hotel has in Spain. After reading it, I realized why some older hotels that have 4 star ratings, but appear run down, are able to keep the rating.
That is because once these hotels have been opened to the public and their category approved,they can remain in it as long as the businessmen want. In Spain there are no periodic reviews as in Germany, France, Portugal or the United Kingdom! So don’t just take those stars for granted!

Who gives the stars to the hotels?​

https://lacabezallena.com/social/estrellas-hoteles/. !

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think if you can avoid using it, much better, they charge a lot to the hotels 🙄
Maybe.

Last year I spoke to a hotelmanager about this and he said: everybody complains about booking.com, but most of the hotels are using it. He said, that he is happy to use it. It brings in new guests every day and his reservations are constantly rising.

To my knowledge, most casa rurales will not have communal kitchens nor do they make group meals. It's more like a hotel but set in the countryside :). Sometimes they can be a distance off the Camino, too...but if you're looking for a quiet place they can be a nice place to rest.

Buen Camino!
Once in 2013 we stayed in a casa rural in the night before entering Santiago, casa rural Cruzeiro in Teo.
it was compared to what we encountered before coming from Lisbon, rather luxury with a jaccuzzi in the room and a swimmingpool in the garden . I thought it costed 45 € plus some money for the food and drinks
it looked like a countryhouse. De lady owner prepared us a nice meal and in the next morning was a good breakfast. Compared to the prizes we paid before it was a bit more expensive but it was worth more than that.
Next time we were in the region, Cruzeiro was fully booked so we went to an expensive hotel -more than double price - in Milliadoiro with cold showers, no airconditioning- it was hot by then.
so if you have the chance, book Cruzeiro. We found the phonenumber in John Brierley guide.

It's a good guide, but unfortunately, if one uses the Chrome browser auto-translate function into English, it translates hostales to hostels, although hostales are a different class of accommodation from hostels.

Oh that’s too bad. I read it in Spanish but next time I should check with Chrome to see what they’re saying in English!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good app but not all properties are shown. If you do use the app, you should note that Booking.com take about 20%-28% of the price.

If you want to support Camino businesses, book direct.
I would often use the Booking.com app to identify a potential place to stay and then check to see if it had a way to book directly with the Albergue.

I used Wise Pilgrim, Camino Ninja, and Booking.com to plan the next two days and would book what looked good for the next day. Occasionally I would book a place two days out.

I took the Primitivo route on September of ‘21, but the general approach should work for your route as well.

Booking.com is a reliable site which makes 15 percent. I do not consider the amount an unreasonable portion for the accommodations. Yes, the owners may give you a cheaper rate if you book individually, which I think actually means, that you are actually paying for most of their booking fee.

I, for one am content on paying the prices on booking.com, right now, because I can make all the bookings easily and on one site making changes instantly and more convenient.
I agree. I do not speak Spanish and when reserving or needing to change a reservation it is very easy as they all work the same way with just a few simple clicks. Booking.com was nearly "a godsend" for me when cancelling my nearly 30 reservations when the pandemic hit in in 2020.
If booking.com was not beneficial to the albergues, casa rurales and the like, they would not be listed. One advantage is that it gives the establishments more exposure, and secondly, it allows me an opportunity to seamlessly make my reservations, which unfortunately has become more the norm in recent years when making so many in advance.
That said, my hat is off to those of you who are willing and able to book directly with the properties.

Another hint when using booking.com. Read the comments made by previous guests. Comments like. “ very welcoming to pilgrims” or “ quite far off the Camino trail”. “ great laundry facilities “, are very helpful.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Another hint when using booking.com. Read the comments made by previous guests. Comments like. “ very welcoming to pilgrims” or “ quite far off the Camino trail”. “ great laundry facilities “, are very helpful.
That´s when it´s also helpful to reference the places on Gronze, since it tells where they are in relation to the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back