• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quick Passage (10 Days) - What Not To Miss?

Mihai

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017) Camino Portugues (25.04 - 04.05)
Hi peregrinos, my name is Mihai and I plan to do the whole trek between April 25th and May 4th next year.

Apart from a physical challenge, I am wondering how I can make this experience even more memorable by taking on the opportunities Camino has to offer. Are there any places along "the way" which are particularly significant to the purpose of this journey? Maybe something that fascinated you in particular, be it a beautiful sight or something you did to feel more interconnected with fellow pilgrims (and your mission)?

I will most likely plan my route to end my days in the bigger towns, so that I can find good accommodation even later in the evening. I believe Porto is worth two nights, so I am strongly considering taking a stop there (for its renowned wineries if nothing else!), though this would mean even more kilometers to make this happen!

How about other peregrinos, are they sparse on the first 3 sections of the route and more and more on the final 2 sections? Will I also encounter pilgrims doing it on bike?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi and welcome to the forum @Mihai

Quick, Camino and pilgrimage are three words that don't easily agree with each other. Either start where you want to start and walk until time runs out or make an estimate how many kilometers you can comfortably walk each day and multiply with the days you have available and determine so your starting point. If you are young and fit Porto would be possible.

The Camino is about savouring.every.single.step.and.encounter. And arriving where you need to arrive, both physically and spiritually. It is about de-accelarating your life, together with many other things obviously.

Buen Camino, SY

Relax slow down. You will see all you need. Enjoy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi peregrinos, my name is Mihai and I plan to do the whole trek between April 25th and May 4th next year.

Apart from a physical challenge, I am wondering how I can make this experience even more memorable by taking on the opportunities Camino has to offer. Are there any places along "the way" which are particularly significant to the purpose of this journey? Maybe something that fascinated you in particular, be it a beautiful sight or something you did to feel more interconnected with fellow pilgrims (and your mission)?

I will most likely plan my route to end my days in the bigger towns, so that I can find good accommodation even later in the evening. I believe Porto is worth two nights, so I am strongly considering taking a stop there (for its renowned wineries if nothing else!), though this would mean even more kilometers to make this happen!

How about other peregrinos, are they sparse on the first 3 sections of the route and more and more on the final 2 sections? Will I also encounter pilgrims doing it on bike?
Hi Mihai,
It's not clear to me if you are walking or biking. That will change the opinions of distances, speed, and rest points. If you are doing the camino on a bike you may also want to post questions in the bike section. which is not to say this is the wrong section, it will just increase the odds that someone who's biked this camino will see it. I think both walkers and bicyclists can speak to best places to stop (I haven't walked much of this route) for good interactions with others, things to see, etc.
either way,
Buen Camino!

Thank you @SYates. This is a very valid point, though I feel I'll have more to enjoy and a more complete experience if I trek all the way from Lisbon. As I am going to Madeira a few days before, it is an opportunity I don't want to miss :)

Thank you @SYates. This is a very valid point, though I feel I'll have more to enjoy and a more complete experience if I trek all the way from Lisbon. As I am going to Madeira a few days before, it is an opportunity I don't want to miss :)

From Lisbon to Santiago in ten days? Do you plan to bike or walk? Buen Camino either way, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Lisbon to Santiago is 634k assuming you take the 'central' route; otherwise the way is longer. To complete that journey in 9 days would be quite an experience and a challenge. To complete it in 7 with two days in Porto....

You ask about significant places, I can't help you there; though Porto is my favourite city in Portugal. My caminos are memorable for the small events rather than the grand spectacles but that just reflects my experiences and character. I'll assume you are cycling Mihal, your clothing in your avatar suggests a biker not a hiker. A search of the Portuguese pages here may help you with basic information on routes accommodation and sights. There seems to be limited information for bikers but other members here will hopefully help.

happy planning

Thank you for your input. Indeed, there are plenty new places to be seen just along the route and I am looking forward to meeting new people! I am not on a bike, hence being on the move for most of the day will be part of my experience.

Ok, if you are not on a bike and plan to do Lisbon to Santiago in ten days - what is exactly your plan? SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One day to Santarem, two more to Coimbra and another two to Porto. A rest day in Porto and then resume my itinerary to Santiago. I estimate to be on the road for about 10-12 hours / day. I may need to make reservations in advance, to ensure I have accommodation.

Last edited:
I walked a few 60+ km days during my 90 days...you are much younger than I, but still it sounds like we both spent/plan to spend half the day on the road. You miss a lot that way, not only in the companionship you might have with others in albergues or pensions, but there is no time to see the places you are walking...and perhaps not even enough daylight to be walking. I walked in the dark...the dark, dark, well past sun-down dark on my longest day...it was not fun. Why are you planning to spend so much time walking each day?

another thing to consider, you say you want to meet others, but you will be arriving late, starting early, staying in hotels, and probably walking at a pace others will choose not to keep. I "left behind" many I met because I walked further many days--you will be 'the new guy' every place you stop. This might be a little isolating

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Unlike traditional trips, the Camino is not about the daily destinations but about what happens between them. And often it can be very ordinary in terms of scenary, architecture, especially the Portuguese from Porto. I would suggest, as others have done, that you focus less on distances covered to get from point to point, but rather pick a distance you can cover while enjoying the company of others,or your own.

Porto is interesting, so in Pontevdera. Ponte de Lima and Barcelos as second tier towns, good for an evening discovery as are Valenca and Tui.

Walked Porto to Santiago this May and did not see a single bicigrino.

Hmm, I imagine I would meet more people this way but yes, I expect few repeat encounters. That is, unless it happens for others to join me on some stretches, either the "bicigrinos" or other runners. There is also an event in Madeira (MIUT) where I'll be attempting a 115 kilometer run from one side of the island to the other. The list of registrants is already full with 6 more months to go. There are some great trail runners going there, much better at climbing hills than I am. And out of the over 800 participants in the big event, one of them might just have the same idea and do the Camino too :).

That being said, I am also quite comfortable going alone for most of the journey, running, walking, or stopping to grab something whenever I fell the need.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That is, unless it happens for others to join me on some stretches, either the "bicigrinos" or other runners.
you will pass more people. actually meeting them is a totally different thing, but perhaps not your goal. When I run marathons and ultras, part of the fun is there are others of like mind on the road with me. As has been said above, most are not on the camino for the reasons you are--in fact, the very opposite. I hope you enjoy it anyway.

One day to Santarem, two more to Coimbra and another two to Porto. A rest day in Porto and then resume my itinerary to Santiago. I estimate to be on the road for about 10-12 hours / day. I may need to make reservations in advance, to ensure I have accommodation.
O.M.G. Chill out my friend or you will meet yourself coming back.
But best wishes anyway, from Go Slow Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Why not start in Porto? It took us 11 days.
Because the OP does do -walk-run - skip ? - 60 kms a day ! :D
When I read about his plans I get severe palpitations only allready by the thoughts of it. :p My goodness. This is also a manner to do . Very special !

Hi Mihai
I just had another thought for you to consider if you are planning on getting a Compostella. Normally the requirement is to get two sellos per day for the last 100 km. And while technically if you do this you are meeting the letter of the law, I would think you might end up arguing, and perhaps even unhappy at the end if you stick to this, as you would cover that distance in the last day or two, showing up at the Pilgrims office with one or maybe two stamps to show for the last 100km with a large distance between them. I would suggest (and anyone working at (or the Pilgrims Office please correct me) that instead of just a mid and end point sello as many do (who are walking 20-30 km per step), you instead plan on getting a sello every 10-15km minimum for the last 100 km; this will allow the Pilgrims Office volunteer to easily see that you were covering the distance (long though it might be) on foot and not skipping sections by using other transportation).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The requirement for the Compostela is not just that the person has walked the last 100km and obtained two sellos per day. It is also that the Camino was completed for a religious or spiritual reason. The Compostela is a document that says that the person named came with a religious intention to revere the remains of St James.

If the reason for the trip is otherwise, then it makes more sense to obtain the alternative certificate.

That's true, the Compostella is for religious/spiritual journeys. But I don't think he said this wasn't for religious or spiritual reasons...or did i miss it? that's possible:oops:--if so, sorry.

otherwise, he is just doing it more quickly than most walkers, but not as easily or quickly as on a bike or horse. Taking three months to reach SdC is not more spiritual than taking two months, or one month, or seven days. Walking or running for eight to twelve hours per day is neither more nor less spiritual than walking for for four or five, and taking a mid-day nap. It's just different.

It took me four days to travel from Fonsagrada to SdC, two or three days less than average I think for that distance. Luckily, I am a sello fan and collected quite a few more than required by the letter of the law, but the volunteer did spend some time scrutinizing them--so I think it just prevents possible aggravation to get sellos at about the distance most would be getting them during the last 100km. And I could be wrong, but I think the alternative certificate also requires two sellos per day in the last 100km

Thank you very much for the useful tips.
As this would be my first time on Camino, I don't know much about sellos. But assuming I could easily get one by stopping for a coffee or visiting a church along the way, it will actually be one of my goals to fill my certificate with sellos :). More exciting than taking a selfie when I enter a new city.

Though I am not a religious person by nature, I am also looking for a dose of spiritual fulfillment. During the arduous journey I'll have the opportunity to think of the less fortunate and show support by raising awareness or setting up a small fundraiser. I have no idea if this would qualify me for the Compostela certificate. But ultimately it is the journey I am looking for, so I wouldn't mind the alternative certificate either (which I believe it also says I have completed the trek)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow, that's quite a trip you're planning... I hope you'll have a nice experience :)

The Camino nowadays has many faces. It's a religious pilgrimage, a spiritual pilgrimage, a trail, an international gathering-and-mobile ground, a touristic attraction, (etc.)... all at once! What makes it more one or the other (or a mix of it) is the inner attitude one has towards it. Trailing on the Camino is ok, but I'd say it would not be the same "Camino" most people experience.

So, what purpose, what not to miss? It depends on what you are seeking. From what you say, you seem to be mostly up for a physical challenge and a touristic tour (not an offence, just an observation!) along the CPortuguese... There are lots of ways in which you can do that :)
How do you feel about getting a touristic guide? (even just to prepare your tip!) There would certainly be much more information about the places you'll go through. The pilgrim's guide go some too, but the "Camino" they describe is not too focused on touristic stuffs.

I believe spirituality is a lot about slowing down. I also believe slowing down is a way greater challenge than speeding up ;) However, I hope you'll find the spiritual fulfillment you seek!
On a very practical plan, truly meeting people will be difficult given your pace... There are very few people on all the Caminos de Santiago that walk/run/... them the way you plan to! ;)

I wish you the best trip,
Buen prep and buen Camino!

full

Thank you very much for the useful tips.
As this would be my first time on Camino, I don't know much about sellos. But assuming I could easily get one by stopping for a coffee or visiting a church along the way, it will actually be one of my goals to fill my certificate with sellos :). More exciting than taking a selfie when I enter a new city.

Though I am not a religious person by nature, I am also looking for a dose of spiritual fulfillment. During the arduous journey I'll have the opportunity to think of the less fortunate and show support by raising awareness or setting up a small fundraiser. I have no idea if this would qualify me for the Compostela certificate. But ultimately it is the journey I am looking for, so I wouldn't mind the alternative certificate either (which I believe it also says I have completed the trek)

I think doing something extraordinary to raise money/awareness for a good cause is very commendable, and other walkers have done/plan to do so on their walks...it should definitely not disqualify you. You might consider getting a guide for the camino portugues (paper or pdf) and research where to get your credential (often at the cathedral of the major start points, or the albergue...if all else fails, ask at the tourist office for the city). Oh, inspiration, you can also order one from Ivar on this forum. You can get sellos at many different places--hotels, albergues, churches, bars, tourism office...not all will have one, but most will, and some are prettier than others so you can go for pretty over plain, but in the last 100km stop often and collect no matter what they look like...to avoid any confusion at the Pilgrims Office because of the speed at which you are covering ground. Also I think they now give a distance certificate, so you may want to try for at least one sello every 20-30 km (two if it's not a problem to get them) for the first 500 km of your route (if you want the distance certificate)--since you may be the only person the volunteer has seen cover so much ground so quickly...easier than you swearing you did it and them calling over a half dozen supervisors to decide your case.

I'll have the opportunity to think of the less fortunate and show support by raising awareness or setting up a small fundraiser. I have no idea if this would qualify me for the Compostela certificate.
To get proper information about the compostela, and to learn more about the church's view of the Camino, please look on the website of the Pilgrim Reception Office of the Cathedral. An excerpt from this site is the following:

To get the “Compostela” you must:
  • Make the pilgrimage for religious or spiritual reasons, or at least an attitude of search.
  • Do the last 100 km on foot or horseback, or the last 200 km by bicycle. It is understood that the pilgrimage starts at one point and from there you come to visit the Tomb of St. James.
  • You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back