• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which rain jacket is best for a mid-April to end of May walk?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The lightweight one, unless you are one of those determined souls, insistent on ploughing on, head down, hour after hour, into the storm.
Us less determined souls, will do an hour or two of such hiking, then, conscience suitably satiated, we will head inside upon finding a warm comfortable environment offering good food, fine wine, ale, and good company, which will make for a pleasant stay until we consider the exterior environment to be of suitable condition in which to be immersed once again.
Yes yes. The lightweight one.
Indubitably.
Regards,
Gerard

Last edited:
I wouldn’t recommend a heavy bulky anything on camino; but thin, light layers. I walked in April and May, with one thin waterproof jacket/windbreaker for lighter rainy days, plus an Altus poncho which was necessary for the head down, ploughing on rain walking that Gerard just described. 🤣 Sometimes there’s just not a warm, comfortable environment at hand when the skies decide to open.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello.
I have 2 rain jackets. One is lightweight and compact and has waterproof rating 10.000 mm. The other is heavier and bulkier but has 20.000 mm. Both are quite comfortable. Which one would you prefer? I will walk from mid April to the end of May.
I'm laughing at Gerard Carey's reply. I was walking a portion of the Voie d'Arles last September and encountered a fair amount of heavy rain one day with no place to take shelter. I made it to the next town but my lightweight, compact jacket just wasn't holding up as well as I wanted it to. I was just settling in at a tiny grocery store cum café when an older French gentleman heard my story and offered to drive me to my destination--bless him. I took him up on his offer. On the other hand, I have since decided to add a lightweight poncho [in addition to my lightweight rain jacket] to my pack for double coverage just in case. As Icacos remarks "Sometimes there’s just not a warm, comfortable environment at hand when the skies decide to open."

Last edited:
I totally agree with icacos.

A light rain jacket will also give you a protective layer from wind and cold. Poncho is the best protection from the heavy rain if there's no handy shelter.

I prefer a light rain coat to wear while out and about after I am finished walking for the day. But while walking on the Camino I am a fan of a good poncho to keep myself (and my pack) dry from the knees up.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello.
I have 2 rain jackets. One is lightweight and compact and has waterproof rating 10.000 mm. The other is heavier and bulkier but has 20.000 mm. Both are quite comfortable. Which one would you prefer? I will walk from mid April to the end of May.
The lightweight one of course! You need to save as much back pack weight as possible.

The lightweight one, unless you are one of those determined souls, insistent on ploughing on, head down, hour after hour, into the storm.
Us less determined souls, will do an hour or two of such hiking, then, conscience suitably satiated, we will head inside, after finding a warm comfortable environment, offering good food, fine wine, ale, and good company, which will make for a pleasant stay until we consider the exterior environment to be of suitable condition in which to be immersed once again.
Yes yes. The lightweight one.
Indubitably.
Regards,
Gerard
We wore light rain jackets on our first camino. During the second heavy storm we encountered, as we were miserably walking, we noticed three French lady pilgrims walking blissfully completely covered, pack and all, no rain cover needed, in their ponchos. We arrived at the same time at an inn. They doffed their ponchos and were totally dry. We looked as if we were the chickens from Santo Domingo who escaped and were dunked in a vat of water...dripping all over. At the next town, we bought ponchos and keep upgrading year after year. Our conclusion: There are three essentials for a camino -- the right pack, the right shoes and the right poncho.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello.
I brought only two of those cheap, clear, compact plastic bag-like things, sometimes sold as an “ emergency raincoat”. Basically, it is a poncho that goes over your head and has a hood. It wont keep you warm, but it will keep you dry. The advantage being that it is loose enough to fit right over a full hiking backpack. Plus if you tear it or lose it, you have only invested a couple of bucks. They are practically weightless to carry, dont take up much space. I hiked in september through a few good rainstorms and it worked perfectly.

I brought only two of those cheap, clear, compact plastic bag-like things, sometimes sold as an “ emergency raincoat”. Basically, it is a poncho that goes over your head and has a hood. It wont keep you warm, but it will keep you dry. The advantage being that it is loose enough to fit right over a full hiking backpack. Plus if you tear it or lose it, you have only invested a couple of bucks. They are practically weightless to carry, dont take up much space. I hiked in september through a few good rainstorms and it worked perfectly.
Addendum to the above: and in those driving rainstorms, i wore baggies on each foot over my socks, and that kept my feet dry ( until, when arriving in Santiago in a pouring raging rainstorm, i stepped into a deep puddle)

I'll be honest. I now always carry 3 of those zero weight, super cheap ponchos with me when I am hiking or bike riding. They work, sometimes for more than several times, if the rain is short-lived or light. But I also carry a lightweight, waterproof poncho. It has a number of uses, including to put on the ground for a picnic lunch after a storm leaves the ground wet. Multi-use, lightweight items are my camino angels. I don't know how I ever survived without a poncho, diaper pins and paper tape!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would get an umbrella.

I prefer a light rain coat to wear while out and about after I am finished walking for the day. But while walking on the Camino I am a fan of a good poncho to keep myself (and my pack) dry from the knees up.
Yep. I ditched my heavier fleece and substituted a very light rain jacket for post-camino walking around town. I was surprised how it not only blocked the wind but was quite warm. And it has a hood.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I guess I'll be the odd one out! Comfort is important when I walk, I have a good breathable rain jacket, an ordinary pair of waterproof trousers and also waterproof socks. I can happily walk through heavy rain when I am tucked up nice and warm and dry inside. Depending upon the weight difference between your lightweight and your heavier rain jacket if it isn't too significant I would actually go for the one that keeps you dry in heavy rain even if that is the heavier one. I have never tried using a poncho although I did buy one at SJPdP but I never put it on!

Being a quintessential belt and braces (suspenders) sort of fellow, I wear a rain jacket. My recommendations for this item of clothing is to make sure it has armpit zippers that open (aka 'pit-zips') for ventilation. I do not wear rain pants because the 100% nylon cargo pants I wear dry out very fast.

I also carry an über light weight siliconized nylon bright colored poncho from Sea to Summit. The parka might work for a light drizzle. But the poncho is really indicated for heavier rain.

In connection with this, I find that wearing a baseball styled cap helps keep the water off my eyeglasses, while preventing water from getting around a sunhat brim to trickle down my back. This is true for any sort of rain hood arrangement - parka or poncho.

Finally, on my most recent several Caminos I have taken to carrying a meter-diameter (golf-sized) umbrella. There is a classic German made version out there - the brand name Schermer comes to mind, but escapes me at the moment. It costs about €60. But it does have a classy mounting arrangement that contributes to the cost.

As an alternative, In 2018, I discovered a one-meter diameter safety lime yellow umbrella in the GOLF department at Decathlon for €15. If you just jam this through your sternum strap and connect the hand loop to your rucksack belt, it works just fine. If you practice with it at home. you can work out some sort of fastening / stabilizing setup that works for you.

So on any given Camino I carry a rain parka - windbreaker with pit zips, a poncho, and an umbrella. I don't mind becoming wet while warm. But being cold and wet is never a good thing. All humor aside, my multifaceted approach works.

Oops, forgot to mention - I also use a rucksack cover. Water is pernicious. It finds its way in.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Talking about belt and braces I use a rucksack cover and a rucksack liner so everything is dry no matter what happens - hope Martin Sheen had both when he dropped his rucksack off the bridge! Clearly using a poncho would not require either so saving on weight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Neither!
I would opt for a poncho, which provides ample body coverage, pack coverage and above all the needed free-flowing ventilation to keep you and your clothes dry, thus precluding any chance of chills and/or hypothermia.

Yes, a hands free umbrella is great; I also have one. But it won’t work when the wind is blowing and the rain is coming in sideways.
Yes, a hands free umbrella is great; I also have one. But it won’t work when the wind is blowing and the rain is coming in sideways.
Walking the length of the Appalachian Trail, the Via Francigena, and Paris-Norte-Primitivo, I can’t think of a time when I had to put my umbrella down during a rain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lightweight raincoat.

When weather is threatening, it is easy to tie around your waist so it will be handy. Can act as a windbreaker also.

Rain cover for your backpack.

I'm not fond of ponchos because I have had to help too many pilgrims wrestle themselves into one in the rain when the wind is whipping around.

I would NOT wear plastic bags on my feet - trust me, I walked in one of the wettest seasons on record and my feet were soaked for three of the five weeks on the CF. However, good pre- and post- blister hygiene kept problems to a bare minimum.

I would get an umbrella.
Definitely recommend an umbrella, but I only used mine for shade when we were lucky enough to have lots of sun. I don't do well with hats as they keep too much heat in - part of the reason I also prefer ponchos over rain coats.

A trick I used with ponchos is to have extra long shoe laces that I tied them around my waist, just under the bottom of the pack. It keeps the poncho from flapping around in the wind and obscuring my footing going up or down hills. And of course does double duty for making clothes-lines.

I must admit this talk of rain coats and ponchos makes me hope for some rain on our next camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm laughing at Gerard Carey's reply. I was walking a portion of the Voie d'Arles last September and encountered a fair amount of heavy rain one day with no place to take shelter. I made it to the next town but my lightweight, compact jacket just wasn't holding up as well as I wanted it to. I was just settling in at a tiny grocery store cum café when an older French gentleman heard my story and offered to drive me to my destination--bless him. I took him up on his offer. On the other hand, I have since decided to add a lightweight poncho [in addition to my lightweight rain jacket] to my pack for double coverage just in case. As Icacos remarks "Sometimes there’s just not a warm, comfortable environment at hand when the skies decide to open."
I was going to ask, and I think you answered it for me ... so you actually wear the poncho over your rain jacket? The rain is that heavy at times? We'll be on the Camino Frances in Sept. and early Oct. so I'm hoping that the rain won't be too heavy.

Definitely recommend an umbrella, but I only used mine for shade when we were lucky enough to have lots of sun. I don't do well with hats as they keep too much heat in - part of the reason I also prefer ponchos over rain coats.

A trick I used with ponchos is to have extra long shoe laces that I tied them around my waist, just under the bottom of the pack. It keeps the poncho from flapping around in the wind and obscuring my footing going up or down hills. And of course does double duty for making clothes-lines.

I must admit this talk of rain coats and ponchos makes me hope for some rain on our next camino.
I had to chuckle. After facing sudden thunderstorms and relentless rain coming at us in all directions in Galicia on our first camino, our second camino, from Lourdes to Montserrat, witnessed zero days of rain. None. Not that we were disappointed. :)

I’ve ended up somewhere in the middle. I wear a RAB Latok Guide three-layer goretex jacket. Pretty much bombproof, and indeed I used to wear it for climbing in Scottish winter conditions. But, it’s far from new. It’s now as soft as it could be and with a wash-in proofer it’s still sufficient for all that lowland Spain’s going to throw at me.

I only walk in Spain from September to March and all I have to do is vary the base layer combo under the jacket. It has perfectly placed pockets for cellphone, guidebook and wallet and is almost a second-skin.

We walked the CF in September 2019 and had only 1 or 2 rainy days. Our REI rain jackets kept our upper body dry, and our Osprey's built-in pack covers also worked well. However, we didn't have rain pants, so eventually the water running down soaked everything below the jacket: our pants, socks and shoes. Ever since, I switch to my Teva sandals whenever rain threatens. This keeps my socks and shoes dry, but the pants or shorts still get wet eventually.
Based on the many discussions on this site and with friends who have walked the Camino, I plan to get a poncho next time.

Henrythedog
Ive similar kit for winter walking in the UK. A Berghaus waterproof jacket with hood. Usually a base layer and a lighter weight fleece worn beneath the jacket (It does have zip in fittings for a winter fleece which I bought on ebay, but dont really ever need )
In those big pockets I can pack my phone, and my glasses in their case. Kleenex tissue and bus pass and lightweight gloves if necessary !

Ive not walked à winter Camino.

So I have used various combination rain systems over the years. My experience has been “waterproof” rain jackets with breathable arm bits…all of them fail. There were days upon days one March it rained almost daily. In contrast to Carey’s suggestion…. If we had waited for a clear day, we would not have walked very far.

In warmer months, including September, I do not bring a heavy poncho. I too bring those clear plastic emergency ponchos.. along with a lite breathable windbreaker. If the morning are cool/cold,I layer accordingly, use the windbreaker if needed and then an emergency poncho. In winter month I bring a heavier poncho from Ikea and tie it down if windy.

If it is warmer… I forgo the windbreaker, and decide whether to use the cheap poncho. depending on the temperature. If it's warm, with or without the poncho, I will get soaked…so I pass on using it. I don’t protect my backpack but the goods inside it are in plastic and do not get wet.

Last edited:
We wore light rain jackets on our first camino. During the second heavy storm we encountered, as we were miserably walking, we noticed three French lady pilgrims walking blissfully completely covered, pack and all, no rain cover needed, in their ponchos. We arrived at the same time at an inn. They doffed their ponchos and were totally dry. We looked as if we were the chickens from Santo Domingo who escaped and were dunked in a vat of water...dripping all over. At the next town, we bought ponchos and keep upgrading year after year. Our conclusion: There are three essentials for a camino -- the right pack, the right shoes and the right poncho.
So which brand did you decide was the right poncho?

So which brand did you decide was the right poncho?
Something that's very popular is the Altus, which is referred to as a poncho, but it's really an oversized raincoat with plenty of room for a backpack. Since it has a full zip front it's easier to put on than a poncho, and doesn't flap around in the wind so much.The only problem for some of us is that it's not available outside of Europe (as far as I know).

Here's a post from a member who ordered one from a Spanish company, DeporVillage.
I just found this website that sells Altus ponchos (Atmospheric Raincoat) with delivery to the US (and other countries). They are discounted (i.e., $47 vs $66 for a blue one, $50 vs $66 for a yellow one - the red one is not discounted at $66). I bought 2 - shipping was about $22. They said they will be delivered within the week.
Deporvillage (https://www.deporvillage.net/altus-atmospheric-raincoat-red) - an "online sports store" registered in Barcelona. They deliver via DHL. Lots of other items are on their website, many are discounted.

As I had planned, I got a poncho this time and was quite happy with it. Walked the Portugues in September, had three rain days, and the poncho worked well. I did like it better than the jacket I used on my first Camino.
I got the 'Pteromy Hooded Rain Poncho' on Amazon, about $20. It has the 'hump' to fit over your backpack, easy and quick to put on. The only negative about it is that you need to wear a ball cap under it, as the bill is thin and needs something to stay out of your face. So for another $3 I got a cap at dollar store in Tomar.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Something that's very popular is the Altus, which is referred to as a poncho, but it's really an oversized raincoat with plenty of room for a backpack. Since it has a full zip front it's easier to put on than a poncho, and doesn't flap around in the wind so much.The only problem for some of us is that it's not available outside of Europe (as far as I know).

Here's a post from a member who ordered one from a Spanish company, DeporVillage.
Thank you, I’ll check it out.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.