• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain jacket recommendations

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2024)
What rain jackets do people recommend? I'll be walking the Frances in October. I have a pack cover and will probably use a trash bag to keep contents dry if necessary. Not sure if this is a place where it's worth it to splurge or not. I've hiked with various jackets over the years with mixed results, but not all day over multiple days (which I realize is completely unpredictable but I'm guessing more likely that time of year). And I'm thinking no rain pants, but appreciate input. Thanks.
Smithers, release the opinions...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a poncho or an umbrella. Your backpack straps will defeat the waterproofing of any jacket because your walking action will pump water through the fabric. The only waterproof that will resist hydrostatic action is PVC or Oilskins and you’ll just get soaked in sweat (or perspiration if you are a Lady)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would get an Altus raincoat/poncho. It will cover you and your pack and keep your things dry.

You can order one from this company:

Or, if you will be in SJPdP you can reserve one at this store:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Altus poncho for me, too. I have also used Frogg Toggs ponchos which are less expensive, but not quite as nice...
Frogg Toggs also sells rain jackets, which I have seen recommended if you are looking for an answer to your rain jacket question rather than just advice to switch to a poncho. 😉

I know the rain jacket/poncho/umbrella discussions can get quite dogmatic here.

I have a very nice RAB rainjacket which i combine with an umbrella (but my jacket is 11 years and still going strong with plenty of use so it was worth the investment given i live in Ireland). But any jacket with a reasonable hydrostatic head should be fine. The umbrella is a great addition as it keeps rain off you and rucksack. Truthfully there is no perfect raincoat!

I dislike ponchos as I feel like a sail. But I find a rain jacket more flexible in how I can use it. But in October I would bring waterproof trousers - by the end of the month it will be getting cooler

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have used rain jackets, most recently from Mont or Macpac. Neither have suffered any wetting through under my back pack straps even after up to three days of rain. The other brand I have used was Northface. It also worked well, and I don't recall any leakages under the back pack straps on the fewer days of rain when I was using it.

Get a poncho or an umbrella. Your backpack straps will defeat the waterproofing of any jacket because your walking action will pump water through the fabric. The only waterproof that will resist hydrostatic action is PVC or Oilskins and you’ll just get soaked in sweat (or perspiration if you are a Lady)
Thanks for the information--didn't know about the impact of straps. It prompted me to do a bit more digging. Are you familiar with LightHeart gear? Looks as if gear is made with backpackers in mind.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have used rain jackets, most recently from Mont or Macpac. Neither have suffered any wetting through under my back pack straps even after up to three days of rain. The other brand I have used was Northface. It also worked well, and I don't recall any leakages under the back pack straps on the fewer days of rain when I was using it.
Thanks. I've got some time to try different options. Trying to stay focused on keeping it simple and thinking layers for Sept/Oct.

Frogg Toggs also sells rain jackets, which I have seen recommended if you are looking for an answer to your rain jacket question rather than just advice to switch to a poncho. 😉

I know the rain jacket/poncho/umbrella discussions can get quite dogmatic here.
Thanks, David. It will be my first Camino, so I appreciate the different opinions. It also feels like one of my first lessons---keep it simple, make a couple choices, then go with the flow :)

I used the Packa rain poncho last September to October and loved it, it has sleeves and zips in front so fits closer and doesn't flap around, fits on your pack like a pack cover then you can pull it out to put on without stopping or taking your pack off, in prolonged heavy rain would advise rain pants as well

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used the Packa rain poncho last September to October and loved it, it has sleeves and zips in front so fits closer and doesn't flap around, fits on your pack like a pack cover then you can pull it out to put on without stopping or taking your pack off, in prolonged heavy rain would advise rain pants as well
On CF April-May '22 we had a LOT of rain the first 10 days. I used the Packa also and loved it. Worked perfect, especially when the rain was intermittent because you don't have to stop and take your pack on and off.

Wow! I just checked out the website and am seriously considering this. Thank you!

In lieu of rain pants, you might consider a rain skirt/kilt. They are much much lighter than the pants, work nearly as well, and are easy to take on and off. (Rain on the camino is often off-and-on and it's good to have things that are easy to take on and off.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Rain "jackets" or parkas are best used as outerwear for a windy, cool day. I recommend a bright color to use as a wind shell. Always try to get one that has "pit zips" so you can open these vents in your armpits for extra ventilation. It helps - a lot.

As a general rule, and as most of the comments above correctly state, a backpacking poncho offers better protection against the rain. Your rucksack should go UNDER the poncho. Rucksack rain covers do not prevent water from getting to the area against your back, and infiltrating your rucksack from there.

I have adopted several practices to overcome some inherent problems with ponchos:

1. Wear a baseball style cap to keep rain off your eyeglasses, and to allow the hood to fit closely arpound your head. If you wear a broad brimmed hat, water will find it's way in, and down your back.

2. Have an extra pair of boot laces, or a lightweight bungee cord, to wrap around your waist, to hold the poncho closer to you to prevent the poncho from billowing all about. Everyone seems to complain about this poncho attribute, but the simple cord or elastic (bungee) cord is an easy fix. When you reach the day's destination, you can string this up to create extra drying space for your wet clothing.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the information--didn't know about the impact of straps. It prompted me to do a bit more digging. Are you familiar with LightHeart gear? Looks as if gear is made with backpackers in mind.
I have a jacket from Lightheart. It is well made and 100% waterproof. I pair it with a rain kilt.

What rain jackets do people recommend? I'll be walking the Frances in October. I have a pack cover and will probably use a trash bag to keep contents dry if necessary. Not sure if this is a place where it's worth it to splurge or not. I've hiked with various jackets over the years with mixed results, but not all day over multiple days (which I realize is completely unpredictable but I'm guessing more likely that time of year). And I'm thinking no rain pants, but appreciate input. Thanks.
When it rained on my Camino I never wore a rain jacket. I always said to myself my body is waterproof and just got wet. My tee shirt and shorts are easily dried at the end of the day and as long as my pack and other things are dry, then I was a happy teddy bear.

Poncho and shorts, no pack cover and no rain pants.
I bought my poncho in the store more-or-less opposite the pilgrim office in SJPdP and cut off the elastic around the wrists for better ventilation.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are two weights of Goretex . I have a bright safety-green Patagonia Goretex #2 Jacket. Bigger than usual so the arms are long and I can wear a Nano-puffy underneath when it's cold. I've been wet I plan on it, I avoid cotton and down because they don't dry. I'll be in Galicia in late October and I expect rain, I'll be better prepared.

I’ve used mine for four Caminos and part of the Via Francigena. It was PERFECT
It's great to get these good reviews for the Altus. Ours are on order and we are excited about getting them. We've used rain jacket plus pack cover plus waist pack cover plus rain skirt all these years. That system has worked well to keep us dry, plus it's nice to have the rain jacket to use as a (sort of stylish) wind breaker or extra warmth if needed. But we've gotten tired of the complication of the constant on and off on the typical rainy day on the Camino. It will be great to have something that goes over everything all at once and comes on and off easily. Also, we're going to save a pound or two of weight. And have one piece of rain gear instead of 4.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Iwalked late winter and it snowed, sleeted, rained, hailed and blew most of the way. I wore a heavy duty goretex jacket and was soaked through except when it sowed. It was my third gortetex jacket all of which leaked like seives. This one leaked where the pack straps bore on it and they also wore through both layers of the inner lining on my shoulders. So I would recommend a poncho although I don’t know much about them. But several people I saw going up to Roncesvalles had them shredded in the wind so try to get one with a drawstring around the bottom. Remember too if you wear a jacket, whatever type, and you’re working hard and perspiring you’re goingg to get wet inside the jacket from sweat. Even goretex which in my opinion is massively overhyped and priced. As for me, I’m persisting with my latest goretex jacket which I bought virtually new at an op shop for 20 bucks.

De Colores

Bogong

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.