• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain pants and Altus Poncho

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
I just bought an Altus Poncho. I thought it would be longer. It only goes to my knees. I wonder if I should bring my rain pants. I was hoping the Altus would replace both my raincoat and rain pants. Looking forward to hearing from your experiences. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My advice is yes, bring both. If it is very wet the rain will run off the Altus and onto your legs and down into your boots which will cause wet and cold feet and then possibly blisters. I wore both during the wet days and I also wore slightly long rainpants that also covered my boots, this can also be achieved by pulling the rainpants slightly down on yor hips. Hope this helps.
Buen Camino.

I have used a poncho on local walks, but not on the Camino. It comes down to mid-calf level, and I find long gaiters sufficient to keep the rain off my legs and from running down into my boots. The other option which I have seen in Europe, might be more readily available in the US but not here in Australian shops, is rain chaps rather than full pants.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Since I walk in a skirt, rain pants are impractical. So I have an Altus, and live with the run-off--though I take one of those big black rubbish bags with the bottom slit open to use as a skirt cover if it's hosing. Since I walk in glorified hiking sandals, wet shoes are not a big deal.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Since your projected date is 1-April I'd consider taking the rain pants instead of Gators. There will be plenty of brisk mornings and the pants will serve dual purposes of keeping wet (and wind) out and some small amount of heat in. If you have the type of rain pants with zippers on the sides it's pretty easy to slip in and out of them as needed. In a pinch they can also serve as your 'pants' while you are laundering your 'normal' pants.
Buen Camino
Jordon

Since your projected date is 1-April I'd consider taking the rain pants instead of Gators. There will be plenty of brisk mornings and the pants will serve dual purposes of keeping wet (and wind) out and some small amount of heat in. If you have the type of rain pants with zippers on the sides it's pretty easy to slip in and out of them as needed. In a pinch they can also serve as your 'pants' while you are laundering your 'normal' pants.
Buen Camino
Jordon
Good advise Jordon, I wore my rain pants as much for the cold as for the rain.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I had "some" rain on the Norte/Primitivo in spring 2016. I used my Frogg Togg rain jacket, but never felt the need to pull out the pants. Since I wear a trail running type shoe, the water just drained out and I didn't incur blisters from my wet socks. Maybe I was just lucky.

Wore the Altus on two Caminos. I am obviously shorter as it was much longer on me. I did not experience any run off into my boots. In April when there was a lot of rain I also wore the sealskin waterproof socks. After so much rain even the best boots are wet and the socks kept my feet nice and dry.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last May, in the early morning it was raining cats and dogs. I kept,telling myself that I was not going out in that. And the the light when on: I have rain pants! Put then over leggings and off I went, happy as a clam, with my rain pants, altus and umbrella. Completely changed my outlook on the day.

Last May, in the early morning it was raining cats and dogs. I kept,telling myself that I was not going out in that. And the the light when on: I have rain pants! Put then over leggings and off I went, happy as a clam, with my rain pants, altus and umbrella. Completely changed my outlook on the day.
Yep, if we can stay as dry and comfortable as we can, the rain aint so bad. :)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.