• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain pants and Altus Poncho

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
I just bought an Altus Poncho. I thought it would be longer. It only goes to my knees. I wonder if I should bring my rain pants. I was hoping the Altus would replace both my raincoat and rain pants. Looking forward to hearing from your experiences. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My advice is yes, bring both. If it is very wet the rain will run off the Altus and onto your legs and down into your boots which will cause wet and cold feet and then possibly blisters. I wore both during the wet days and I also wore slightly long rainpants that also covered my boots, this can also be achieved by pulling the rainpants slightly down on yor hips. Hope this helps.
Buen Camino.

I have used a poncho on local walks, but not on the Camino. It comes down to mid-calf level, and I find long gaiters sufficient to keep the rain off my legs and from running down into my boots. The other option which I have seen in Europe, might be more readily available in the US but not here in Australian shops, is rain chaps rather than full pants.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since I walk in a skirt, rain pants are impractical. So I have an Altus, and live with the run-off--though I take one of those big black rubbish bags with the bottom slit open to use as a skirt cover if it's hosing. Since I walk in glorified hiking sandals, wet shoes are not a big deal.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since your projected date is 1-April I'd consider taking the rain pants instead of Gators. There will be plenty of brisk mornings and the pants will serve dual purposes of keeping wet (and wind) out and some small amount of heat in. If you have the type of rain pants with zippers on the sides it's pretty easy to slip in and out of them as needed. In a pinch they can also serve as your 'pants' while you are laundering your 'normal' pants.
Buen Camino
Jordon

Since your projected date is 1-April I'd consider taking the rain pants instead of Gators. There will be plenty of brisk mornings and the pants will serve dual purposes of keeping wet (and wind) out and some small amount of heat in. If you have the type of rain pants with zippers on the sides it's pretty easy to slip in and out of them as needed. In a pinch they can also serve as your 'pants' while you are laundering your 'normal' pants.
Buen Camino
Jordon
Good advise Jordon, I wore my rain pants as much for the cold as for the rain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had "some" rain on the Norte/Primitivo in spring 2016. I used my Frogg Togg rain jacket, but never felt the need to pull out the pants. Since I wear a trail running type shoe, the water just drained out and I didn't incur blisters from my wet socks. Maybe I was just lucky.

Wore the Altus on two Caminos. I am obviously shorter as it was much longer on me. I did not experience any run off into my boots. In April when there was a lot of rain I also wore the sealskin waterproof socks. After so much rain even the best boots are wet and the socks kept my feet nice and dry.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last May, in the early morning it was raining cats and dogs. I kept,telling myself that I was not going out in that. And the the light when on: I have rain pants! Put then over leggings and off I went, happy as a clam, with my rain pants, altus and umbrella. Completely changed my outlook on the day.

Last May, in the early morning it was raining cats and dogs. I kept,telling myself that I was not going out in that. And the the light when on: I have rain pants! Put then over leggings and off I went, happy as a clam, with my rain pants, altus and umbrella. Completely changed my outlook on the day.
Yep, if we can stay as dry and comfortable as we can, the rain aint so bad. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.