• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain pants

DanielleandDerrick

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2017
I was wondering if it is necessary to bring rain pants? We will be starting March 29th from Lisbon doing the central route. Thanks in advance for the input.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was wondering if it is necessary to bring rain pants? We will be starting March 29th from Lisbon doing the central route. Thanks in advance for the input.
That will largely depend on whether it rains or not.

April close to the Atlantic? Probably going to be a bit damp IMHO; but probably not overly cold.

I’m doing the very northern part of the Portuguese in early March. I’m not packing ‘rain pants’ but I am packing shorts.

Skin dries faster than cloth

I abhor ‘rain pants’

It rains more where I live than it does in Portugal

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the central route in late October last year and we had rain almost every day. I carried and tried rain pants one day for about two hours… hated them. Stuck with my quick dry shorts after that. As Henrythedog said, skin dries much faster than cloth, and feels better while walking than that sweaty, clammy feeling inside rain pants. That said, I wore them once more going out for dinner one wet evening to keep my pants dry. Unless I’d need them for warmth or for wind protection, I would not carry them again.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bring a rain kilt mine weighs 70grms and come down to calf level it's ULA(ultra light adventure)fits up to a 54 inch waist ! Kept me dry in an all day downpour;your feet get wet whatever you wear!!!
Plus it's easy to put on; on the trail you don't put your muddy boots anywhere near it.
Woody
EDIT just to add I do have rain pants Marmot Pricip full zip I use them around town and urban trips with my G/dog where i know can find something to lean on; easy access rainpants but still stand on one leg to do it!
Second pair are OMM Halo pants (weigh 80grams and Hydrostatic head of 10000 ml) but again try getting them on on a muddy trail over boots/shoes!
The kilt is out your pocket and wrap it round .

Last edited:
I have never brought rain pants or gaiters with me on my Camino. No need.
My first Camino was VERY wet but I do not regret my decision. I found that, a.) my tech fabric/quick dry pants were sturdy and dried quickly once out of the rain and, b.) my skin is waterproof.
I carry a rain jacket/windbreaker that I wrap around my waist while walking in threatening weather. I have a cover for my backpack.
Injinji socks and wool socks with NOT waterproof boots suffice quite well on all my Caminos so far.
Happy packing!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I found that if I kept my core warm and dry, that is my waist through my head, that I was comfortable. So, like some others, I wore rain pants once, and then never again. If my pants got wet, I was fine with that. And a baseball cap underneath my hood really worked well to keep water off of my face, except in very strong winds. Walking in the rain has its own charms, by the way.

Warm greetings, Danielle and Derrick,,
My friend and I walked the Camino Frances last spring. I brought rain pants and he didn’t. I really appreciated staying dry, especially when the weather was cooler. As the rain pants were very light to carry, it worked out well for me. They also can help keep your legs warm if you come into an unexpected cold spell. My friend didn’t mind getting wet so it didn’t matter to him. It is just a personal choice determined by your comfort level, but I was glad that I had them.
Have a wonderful trip and Buen Camino!
Daniel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found that if I kept my core warm and dry, that is my waist through my head, that I was comfortable. So, like some others, I wore rain pants once, and then never again. If my pants got wet, I was fine with that. And a baseball cap underneath my hood really worked well to keep water off of my face, except in very strong winds. Walking in the rain has its own charms, by the way.
Not in December with a 30k wind in your face on the Meseta ;)

I took a rain pancho with sleeves that covered my pack and covered me to mid calf. No need for pants. On other backpacking trips I never wanted to take the time to put pants on.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the same route last year leaving also on March 29! I didn’t bring a rainpant. But brought a poncho, Altus and a very light rain jacket. I was lucky I wore it only once.

I leave SJPP on May 18 and finish in Santiago June 18. I have already purchased some rain pants but still on the fence on whether to bring them or not. This is the one of my hardest decisions, lol. I don't seem to see a clear cut winner in the comments. I think I might just take them and leave them in the free bin in an Albergue if I feel I don't need them. I don't mind wearing shorts in the rain I just don't like being cold.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If people are worried about being cold, or find that the benefit of wearing rain pants is that they keep you warm, why not just bring long thermal underwear? You could wear them under your regular pants if needed for warmth and you can wear them as pajamas (or an extra layer of pajamas) in the albergue if it gets cold at night? I try not to pack anything that cannot serve at least 2 purposes (warmth, pajamas).
Just a thought.

If people are worried about being cold, or find that the benefit of wearing rain pants is that they keep you warm, why not just bring long thermal underwear? You could wear them under your regular pants if needed for warmth and you can wear them as pajamas (or an extra layer of pajamas) in the albergue if it gets cold at night? I try not to pack anything that cannot serve at least 2 purposes (warmth, pajamas).
Just a thought.
Been there, done that, won't ever do it again. Adjusting layers this way is a genuine PITA. Rain pants are much more easily donned and removed on the road. Removing thermals is not.

I walked in Sept/Oct and needed them regularly. They weigh very little, take up very little space and are invaluable when you do need them. Being conservative, they are also useful as a pair of pants to wear while waiting for the wash :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took rain pants on my first camino, but never after that. Why? They take up space in the pack, are not easy to take on and off if your body is creaky, as it will be, and critical to our decision, we saw two French ladies with long ponchos that they put on covering their heads, packs and legs. Too easy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone wearing a poncho other than on Camino.
When walking the C2C in the UK and Offa's Dyke and the Pembrokeshire Coastal walk in Wales, we brought ponchos. Twice the ponchos ripped to shreds in violent storms, once on Mt Helvelyn near Patterdale, the other on Hatterall Ridge in Wales. Both storms were biblical. There are times when nothing can stop mother nature!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, I live on the west cast of Canada or should I say "wet coast" and in my 64 years of living here I don't know anyone who wears a poncho.
I lived in Portland, Oregon for four years. The locals referred to rain as liquid sunshine. No umbrellas, no ponchos. The strangest thing to me is that everyone wore socks with sandals. But I loved a sign in our local store that read: Come to Portland for the annual rain festival, January 1-December 31.

I leave SJPP on May 18 and finish in Santiago June 18. I have already purchased some rain pants but still on the fence on whether to bring them or not. This is the one of my hardest decisions, lol. I don't seem to see a clear cut winner in the comments. I think I might just take them and leave them in the free bin in an Albergue if I feel I don't need them. I don't mind wearing shorts in the rain I just don't like being cold.
Take them and if you really don't want to stay dry and potentially warm discard them :)

After completely sodden shoes/boots crossing the Pyrenees in a storm May 2014 and showery weather the next two weeks we took rain pants for the Via Podiensis - flooded tracks in parts, dewy grass, showery days and a storm or two but dry warm feet thanks to waterproof boots and rain pants. Yes, one day in particular we did had multiple 'wardrobe' changes that were mildly annoying but I would rather dry feet than wet. Didn't take them last november walking the Abel Tasman Track in NZ and wished we had! so definitely taking them on the Portuguese this May:) their weight is not a make or break camino issue for me. Like everything we all have our personal preferences. Bom Caminho😊

After completely sodden shoes/boots crossing the Pyrenees in a storm May 2014 and showery weather the next two weeks we took rain pants for the Via Podiensis - flooded tracks in parts, dewy grass, showery days and a storm or two but dry warm feet thanks to waterproof boots and rain pants. Yes, one day in particular we did had multiple 'wardrobe' changes that were mildly annoying but I would rather dry feet than wet. Didn't take them last november walking the Abel Tasman Track in NZ and wished we had! so definitely taking them on the Portuguese this May:) their weight is not a make or break camino issue for me. Like everything we all have our personal preferences. Bom Caminho😊
Thanks, you just made my decision easier. My new north face rain pants are going on a pilgrimage.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. I lived in Oporto for three years. It rains a lot in N. Portugal. But I never wore 'rain pants'.
I can’t find a single data set with comparable stats. Two different sources give me 151 and 162 days of rain annually for Porto and ‘where I live’; so I’ll settle for ‘about the same’

I also live on the wet coast of Canada. According to Weatherspark, Vancouver BC gets significantly more rain than Porto. Scroll down on this page to see a comparison of days of rain or total monthly rainfall. I can't be bothered to add them up.

I often wear rain pants at home, and always bring them on the Camino, too. I don't remember ever seeing anyone here wearing a poncho.

I can’t find a single data set with comparable stats. Two different sources give me 151 and 162 days of rain annually for Porto and ‘where I live’; so I’ll settle for ‘about the same’
Given the strong standardisation that characterises meteorological services around the world, I would be prepared to accept that even though the data sets might be from different countries, they would be equivalent. On that basis, you are either both right, or both wrong.

Porto: 110 days of rain for 1255 mm on average annually
Carlisle: 152 days of rain for 919 mm on average annually.

Given the strong standardisation that characterises meteorological services around the world, I would be prepared to accept that even though the data sets might be from different countries, they would be equivalent. On that basis, you are either both right, or both wrong.

Interesting that the stats show Oporto has more rain but on fewer days. That was distinctly my impression. When it rained (always outside the summer months) it would absolutely throw it down. I felt at times that the entire Atlantic Ocean had decided to jump on my head. But I'm talking here about the north of Portugal. Like Galicia, it is a very wet part of the world. As Lorca wrote (in Galician) 'Chove en Santiago'. South is a lot drier.

I usually approach life on the assumption that I am right; other than with Mrs HtD when (to save time) I assume that I am wrong.

I’m sure that @dick bird and I have declared an honourable draw.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ditto about the warm core. Late November 2022 in Galicia carried light rain jacket and poncho and wore quick dry shorts. Sometimes wet but never cold and all dry pretty soon after the rain stopped or in the morning on a totally rainy day.

For a man of wisdom who still wears Ron Hill tracksters I am with you all the way. I put the rain pants in the pack as a token defiance of what the Peak District has to offer

Been there, done that, won't ever do it again. Adjusting layers this way is a genuine PITA. Rain pants are much more easily donned and removed on the road. Removing thermals is not.
Of course, I completely agree that putting thermals on and off during the day would be a total PITA (new acronym for me. Thanks!). I never brought thermals (or rain pants) with me. I sucked up the chill in the morning, knowing that by mid afternoon I would be OK. But several posters seemed to be concerned about being chilly without rain pants. That's all I was suggesting.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It would start to sprinkle and gradually increase util I would get off the bike and put on the rain gear. Get back on the bike and within a minute or two, the rain would stop (and the clammy sweat would be uncomfortable). So I would take them off, roll them up and put them back in their spot behind the seat. A few more minutes, repeat. After five more cycles, I just decided they were more proctalgia than just getting wet.

Rain chaps (individual sleeves for each leg, tied to one's belt loops) used in conjunction with a raincoat with decent overlap. These keep the water off, ventilate better than pants and have less weight and bulk. We made ours from SilNylon, very light weight, but you might be able to purchase them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My previous Camino in 2019 I was walking with a rain pants on day one during a lot of rain. After 10km, I took the pants off as it was too uncomfortable. I never used it again on the rest of the walk, although there were more rain days.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back