• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain Pants?

Hutty

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain jacket, but on the fence with rain pants. I'm probably in quick dry hiking shorts most of time based on the weather forecast, so my gut tells me I won't need the rain pants as will dry fairly quickly unless we get a downpour or hours of rain. Thoughts?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think your idea of the quick drying hiking shorts is the way to go. I took rain pants with me on my first Camino and they stayed in my pack most of the time. We thoroughly enjoyed the Portuguese coastal Route two years ago. We were lucky enough in the early spring not to hit much wet weather. On the days it did rain, our lightweight rain jackets and waterproof pack covers were all we needed. Bom Caminho!

In May; I’d stick to shorts. They’re my preferred walking attire in any case as skin dries faster than cloth.

November through to March I pack waterproof over-trousers, which I hate with a passion and would only put on in torrential rain.

At home, where I walk frequently in the Cumbrian fells, my over trousers are known as my ‘going home’ trousers as if it’s wet enough to put them on whilst on the hills, I’m going home.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the Portuguese coast last autumn. It was windy, rainy, and the rain was horizontal off the sea. I really WISH I'd had those waterproof pants for 2 reasons. 1) I would have been more comfortable I think and 2) my nylon pants quickly drained water into my wonderful, waterproof boots which were suddenly like walking in two enclosed puddles. So especially for reason 2), I'll have them next time. Or, as others have said, shorts & sandals & the *ell with the rain :)

Hi!
Kilt/rain skirt is all i wear i wont Camino in winter; but i wear shorts from end of March to Early December in UK

Rain kilt weighs 78grams on and off in seconds ;and you don't have to stand on one leg to put it on!
Wore it on the Portuguese Coastal in heavy rain for 7-8 hours great ventilation and it doesn't get clammy.
Wore it from Leon to Muxia will take to SJPP May 16th.

Link

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for the great perspectives!
The only time that I would wear rain pants while out hiking would be to protect my lower body from a very cold wind rather than rain and even then there would need to be snow or ice on the ground. You are very unlikely to encounter this on the Portuguese Camino.

I walked the Camino Frances several years ago with my two sons and daughter in law. We got caught out unexpectedly on the Meseta shortly after leaving Castrojerez in very cold, pelting rain and sleet with high winds on April.30th...my worst weather day on any Camino I've walked.
We all had purchased inexpensive Frogg Togg rain suits and quickly put them on, except for one son who thought it not necessary to bring and carry his rain pants. He nearly "froze to death" and fully regretted his decision, especially when the sleet felt like painful needles on his legs.
None of the three of them were willing to use hiking poles either.🙄
Screenshot_20240417-184103~2.png

Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain jacket, but on the fence with rain pants. I'm probably in quick dry hiking shorts most of time based on the weather forecast, so my gut tells me I won't need the rain pants as will dry fairly quickly unless we get a downpour or hours of rain. Thoughts?
I wouldn’t pack the rain pants.
In fact, I never have!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Camino Frances several years ago with my two sons and daughter in law. We got caught out unexpectedly on the Meseta shortly after leaving Castrojerez in very cold, pelting rain and sleet with high winds on April.30th...my worst weather day on any Camino I've walked.
We all had purchased inexpensive Frogg Togg rain suits and quickly put them on, except for one son who thought it not necessary to bring and carry his rain pants. He nearly "froze to death" and fully regretted his decision, especially when the sleet felt like painful needles on his legs.
View attachment 168116
Don't forget your crampons.

Hi - I leave SJPDP on 25 April and if you look back through my posts you will see I've been on the fence about rain pants for aggggeees! I've heard that the rain can sometimes be quite cold. I've made some compromises with other areas of my luggage, and now I'm bringing the rain pants. So be it if they don't get used. I feel the cold, but maybe you are one of those who don't?

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Portuguese coast last autumn. It was windy, rainy, and the rain was horizontal off the sea. I really WISH I'd had those waterproof pants for 2 reasons. 1) I would have been more comfortable I think and 2) my nylon pants quickly drained water into my wonderful, waterproof boots which were suddenly like walking in two enclosed puddles. So especially for reason 2), I'll have them next time. Or, as others have said, shorts & sandals & the *ell with the rain :)
I walked in November also and i would sa some days torrential was an understatement!!! ;) 🌦️🌦️
When I got up in the morning I put on my cheap waterproof?? resistant?? rainpaints and if it wasnt raining i had my poncho stuffed in the straps of my backpack against my chest ready to go! I knew if it wasn't raining at the moment give it 5 or 10 minutes. I kept my rainpaints on all day as it takes alot longer to put on my rainpaints than my poncho. I can get my poncho on in seconds. It was incredibly wet but I loved it. Where would you rather be rain, snow, wind, cold or shine? Well for me not too much shine as I would rather walk in below freezing temps than in hot weather,

Hi!
Kilt/rain skirt is all i wear i wont Camino in winter; but i wear shorts from end of March to Early December in UK

Rain kilt weighs 78grams on and off in seconds ;and you don't have to stand on one leg to put it on!
Wore it on the Portuguese Coastal in heavy rain for 7-8 hours great ventilation and it doesn't get clammy.
Wore it from Leon to Muxia will take to SJPP May 16th.

Link

I've also become a rain skirt fan. Although purchased for my Camino, I wore it skiing a number of days this season and it kept my pretty dry in pouring rain both while skiing down and riding the lifts up (I'm a patroller and don't really have the option not to ski in the rain).

Every piece of gear falls into two primary categories, necessities or luxuries. Rain/wind pants fall somewhere in between. I think the decision boils down to the total weight to be added versus the total utility over the course of your trip. If you can afford the weight my preference is to have them in my pack. No they don't get used every day but when I want/need them, I'm glad I have them. I also use them in place of long pants so they serve double duty. This is clearly one of those personal judgement calls that doesn't have a right or wrong answer.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In May; I’d stick to shorts. They’re my preferred walking attire in any case as skin dries faster than cloth.

November through to March I pack waterproof over-trousers, which I hate with a passion and would only put on in torrential rain.

At home, where I walk frequently in the Cumbrian fells, my over trousers are known as my ‘going home’ trousers as if it’s wet enough to put them on whilst on the hills, I’m going home.
As a fellow Northener its shorts all year round.....rain, snow regardless...never feel.cold even in.the Cheviots

Several years ago, my daughter and I hiked the Portuguese from Porto, via the coastal for a few days, about the same time of year you'll be going.

Took rain pants and tried to use them a few times.

The problem was that by the time we stopped to get them out of our bags, put them on, and walk a bit, it would stop raining and the pants would be like a mini-sauna, so we'd have to stop again, take them off, put them back in our pack and then continue, and shortly, just about when our pants would dry out, the rain would start again.

The point is, with intermittent rain showers in the spring, there has to be a better way. Either don't use the rain pants, as you plan, or use something much more breathable and manageable like a rain kilt.

For different seasons, when you might encounter hail, snow, sleet, etc., you might be wise to have the extra warmth layer of rain pants, or in other seasons when you expect to encounter high winds and sustained rains.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
View attachment 168116
This is a "time of year" thing. From May through September, the rain pants are not needed. Synthetic fiber walking pants or shorts will dry very fast. We all know that bare skin is also drip-dry.

I have worn REI "Sahara" 100 nylon fabric, zip-off cargo pants for the past decade. They dry from wringing wet to just damp within 30 minutes. Presently, my standard kit includes one complete pair of zip off cargo pants, and another shorts only. The bottoms can be swapped from one pair of shorts to another.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For different seasons, when you might encounter hail, snow, sleet, etc., you might be wise to have the extra warmth layer of rain pants, or in other seasons when you expect to encounter high winds and sustained rains.
This is my main reason for bringing rain pants. Not for intermittent light rain when it is a relatively warm day. I use a small, lightweight umbrella for that.

I found they made you sweat, so you were as wet inside them as outside. Also, they are noisy. Stick with quick dry hiking clothes. I left mine in a donation bin in an albergue.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm cold natured. If it's raining and/or windy, I get cold. The FroggTogg lightweight pants are cheap and wind resistant as well. On Camino, Appalachian Trail and others over the last 6 years, they have been in my pack.
I just wore them the past 3 days on the Francias. In case you saw the thread about rescues on the Nepolean, it WASN'T me because I had my pants. ;-) Always in my pack, even have a pair in my day pack at home. Saved my tail on a day hike in 2021in shorts, when a cold front blew in on me. About $14 and worth every penny.
I have very expensive rain jacket, but FroggToggs are my answer for legs.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If your looking for rain protection, trousers do well in cold weather. BUT they are as mention heavy and hot. Another option would be a rain skirt/kilt. I also like to hike wearing shorts. Skirts are very lite, waterproof, and cool. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
80 gram rain pants live in the bottom of my pack. I prefer shoulder season walking so bad weather insurance. Also useful on laundry days.
Yes, don't forget the convenience of wearing your rain gear on those days you've got a pile of laundry and really want to splurge and wash the whole lot all at once in a machine! We have done this more than once and it has been super nice, even if it feels a little weird. :)

Even though I walk pretty hot, from a comfort / safety perspective, I wouldn't think of walking the Camino or any long hike where you are not very certain over all the days of the hike that there will be no pouring rain, tearing wind, or cold without rain pants as that "extra layer". All things considered they are pretty light. Quite often, I'm happy to walk in the rain without them, but there have been a few occasions where I was very happy to have them along, especially if it was very windy.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.