• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Refuse Orisson Closing?

Julia Mumford

Adventure Geek
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
Camino Ingles (2018)
I’m leaving St Jean on 20th October and I’m hoping to stay at the Orisson on my first night. (I’ve stayed before and loved it).

My problem is that they don’t respond to my emails, and I don’t speak French. Websites, guides and apps say that they are open from April to Oct. but is that the beginning of October or the end?

Any help appreciated.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Typically they close mid-October BUT with pilgrim numbers still being high, they might close later (also depending on the weather). Alternatively you can always walk the Valcarlos route if you arrive in SJPdP and Orisson is already closed. Buen camino, SY

Orrison took about three weeks to reply to my email booking two beds
That was last year though.
Maybe you will receive word from them in due course.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m leaving St Jean on 20th October and I’m hoping to stay at the Orisson on my first night. (I’ve stayed before and loved it).

My problem is that they don’t respond to my emails, and I don’t speak French. Websites, guides and apps say that they are open from April to Oct. but is that the beginning of October or the end?

Any help appreciated.
We stayed there last year and I'm pretty sure they were closing about 14/15th oct, about three days after we stayed. They responded to my e mail within 24 hours of asking about booking, their English was excellent. There was an albergue open I think a shortish distance BEFORE orison but I'm afraid I can't remember what it was called but it might be an alternative and be at least part way up the Pyrenees.

Any help appreciated.

Hi Julia,

When you arrive at SJPdP and visit the Pilgrims' Office, I do expect they will know if Orisson is open or not. Then you will know. Contact from Orisson direct is a waiting game. But as you have been there before, you know all that work there are Angels, living in Heaven.

Also, "evansci," mentioned an albergue before Orisson. That would be Huunto, about 4 or 5 km out of SJPdP. Depending on the time leaving there, that would leave about 24 km, most of the climb up and all of the climb down to Roncesvalles next day.

There is another, maybe less agreeable possibility. I hesitate as I really do not wish to have hellfire rain down on me, but a taxi can be hired to take you up to the Cross at the Road. This is where the path leaves the road and climbs into the the mountain trails. From that point, it is 10 km to Roncesvalles.

The weather in the Pyrenees can be unpredictable in October, but if you are going up there to see Les Cheveaux / Caballos, and the way is clear, I would go too.

Enjoy, but be safe.

I have a confirmed booking for October 13. I found their replies to my emails in my spam folder, might be worth checking that.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for your replies. I’ll wait and see if I get a response to my email and will keep an eye on my junk folder.

I never thought about asking at the Pilgrims office (I wasn’t going to go there as I already have my pilgrims passport), but that’s a great idea.

If it’s closed, I’ll simply carry on until Roncesvalles. I just didn’t want to miss the Pilgrim Mass (which I probably will as my train does not get into St Jean until later in the day). My alternative is to stay overnight at St Jean and leave early the next day.

Good for thought. Thank you as always.

I never thought about asking at the Pilgrims office (I wasn’t going to go there as I already have my pilgrims passport), but that’s a great idea.

I think it is always a good idea to pass through the Pilgrim's office, they'll have the latest information on the weather and can inform accordingly.

Instead of asking at the Pilgrims office when you get there email the Pilgrims office now and explain the unanswered email. Not only might they be able to answer the closure question they might be able to get your query to the right people.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Instead of asking at the Pilgrims office when you get there email the Pilgrims office now and explain the unanswered email. Not only might they be able to answer the closure question they might be able to get your query to the right people.
Good thinking! I’ll do that right now!

Thank you for your replies. I’ll wait and see if I get a response to my email and will keep an eye on my junk folder.

If it’s closed, I’ll simply carry on until Roncesvalles. I just didn’t want to miss the Pilgrim Mass (which I probably will as my train does not get into St Jean until later in the day). My alternative is to stay overnight at St Jean and leave early the next day.

Good for thought. Thank you as always.
I wouldn't set out for Roncesvalles later in the day, especially later in the year! If you don't have a confirmed reservation at Orisson spend the in St Jean.

I wouldn't set out for Roncesvalles later in the day, especially later in the year! If you don't have a confirmed reservation at Orisson spend the in St Jean.

I think that is what I will do. I will stay at St Jean and start out early the next day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Good news! The Orisson is now staying open so they have booked me a bed on 20th October. Result!!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back