• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reputable NGO in Galicia to support?

TreshaA2

Time of past OR future Camino
Am walking the Central Portuguese Route with the Spiritual Variant hopefully in May 2022. I would love to honor a local NGO in Galicia by suggesting that friends and family make donations in honor of my "way." Suggestions that I can start researching? I am interested in supporting any orphanages, places with food insecurity, free medical clinics... you get the idea. Thanks in advance!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Most NGOs are for profit organisations in disguise.

The best exceptions I've found are nuns, taking all they receive and just forwarding it all where needed, including perhaps direct hands-on participation.

No salaries nor unnecessary management costs.

FICS (International Fraternity of the Camino de Santiago) is a Galicia-based international non-profit dedicated to protecting the Caminos de Santiago from over-development, commodification and exploitation. It works closely with the Association of Camino Municipalities to uphold traditional values of hospitality and affordability in Camino facilities, recognize and protect historic sites as well as cultural and artistic "intangible values" via UNESCO representation. It runs three non-profit albergues, too.

If you want to stay Galicia-focused, you could also support AGACS, the Gallego Camino Amigos group. They run a couple of donativo albergues and do regular trail cleanups within Galicia.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This, extremely low-cost soup kitchen (good lunch for one Euro, for example), would be my best suggestion: https://cocinaeconomicadesantiago.es/ They provide food for the poor here in Santiago and have an excellent reputation.

BC SY
Jusst a reminder that even though the caminos are open again, and buzzing, things are still very hard for many of the locals in Galicia and across Spain (and Portugal too, though the story attached refers to Spain). Support locals appropriately, please!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Jusst a reminder that even though the caminos are open again, and buzzing, things are still very hard for many of the locals in Galicia and across Spain (and Portugal too, though the story attached refers to Spain). Support locals appropriately, please!

Absolutely correct, I notice it daily in the informal neighbourhood food bank I maintain.
SY

Absolutely correct, I notice it daily in the informal neighbourhood food bank I maintain.
SY
Ah, I was looking for your posts! I didn't know how to find them. Good to hear you're still at it, though sad to hear it's still necessary.

Ah, I was looking for your posts! I didn't know how to find them. Good to hear you're still at it, though sad to hear it's still necessary.
I post semi regular updates and accountability posts on my website here: http://egeria.house/ and yes, still ongoing and, sadly, still necessary.
BC SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back