• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reservations for 2021

SusanH

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked 2014
I had read a few posts in regards to making reservations in albergues for 2021. Seeing as I’m a bit of an anxious person, I thought I’d “play it safe” and book my first week forty own sanity! Some places aren’t t taking reservations for 2021 yet. Other places are taking them - they have been pretty surprised at my wanting to book so early! I already feel more peaceful about doing this.
I just wanted to let you know, that at this point in time - things for 2021 are wide open!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had read a few posts in regards to making reservations in albergues for 2021. Seeing as I’m a bit of an anxious person, I thought I’d “play it safe” and book my first week forty own sanity! Some places aren’t t taking reservations for 2021 yet. Other places are taking them - they have been pretty surprised at my wanting to book so early! I already feel more peaceful about doing this.
I just wanted to let you know, that at this point in time - things for 2021 are wide open!

when are you planning to go in 2021?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I’m thinking of booking for 2021 and 2022 just in case something goes wrong in 2021 😎😁😉

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, since we Earthlings have had: Sahara Dust Cloud, Murder Hornets, record Locust swarms, global civil unrest, economic disaster, and Covid, methinks time travel will soon be to us available.

Ergo, I will plan for 3021, or 1021; 1021, so I can be a “true pilgrim”.

If not, then I hope and pray I can walk next year.

I wish to be in Santiago no later than Saint James’s feast day on July 25TH.

Last edited:
I should have been on the camino today – with a group of friends. Needless to say, we’re not.

Last year I told my local hiking club that I wasn’t going to take a group on the camino again, so if they wanted to come, they had to book it all themselves individually. Which they did.

When we couldn’t go, we decided to postpone to next year. And if we can’t go next year, we’ll postpone again to the following year.

Places like Orisson, Roncesvalles, and two other places that we’d prepaid, happily changed our dates. We cancelled all our other bookings for this year.

But things have now changed.

Some places are converting their small dorms to “family rooms”, and I could foresee that solo pilgrims might have a problem pre-booking anything other than a private room.

So, in some places I’ve booked those “family rooms”; in other places I’ve booked complete dormitories; and in a couple of places I’ve booked the entire small private albergue for my group only.

All these places have been delighted to do these “block” bookings for me for next year. It’s NOT what I wanted to do, but it’s better for the albergues this way.

My hiking buddies are also happy that they don’t have to do all their own bookings themselves again.

So, yeah, we’re all booked, and just hoping that our country will let us out in 10 months time . . .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've pre-booked most of mine for next year because of the uncertainty about how it's all going to work. Most of mine is private rooms or pods rather than bunks. Flights are booked using vouchers from this year's cancelled flights. Fly out on the 12th April and start walking on the 13th. Looking to do the Coast-to-Coast in the UK again soon and will probably wild camp along the way. This will make me feel better about all the private rooms next year 😊

I've pre-booked most of mine for next year because of the uncertainty about how it's all going to work. Most of mine is private rooms or pods rather than bunks. Flights are booked using vouchers from this year's cancelled flights. Fly out on the 12th April and start walking on the 13th. Looking to do the Coast-to-Coast in the UK again soon and will probably wild camp along the way. This will make me feel better about all the private rooms next year 😊
I have tried repeatedly to make booking for transferred flight dates (US to/from MAD) next year; the return in early June always bollixes the attempt. I may just give up and get the refund, then remake reservations later on. (Actually trying to set up the Plata walk we weren't able to do this spring. Will decide later on whether September this year on the Frances is doable.) It's so frustrating. What month are you projecting your return home next year?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have tried repeatedly to make booking for transferred flight dates (US to/from MAD) next year; the return in early June always bollixes the attempt. I may just give up and get the refund, then remake reservations later on. (Actually trying to set up the Plata walk we weren't able to do this spring. Will decide later on whether September this year on the Frances is doable.) It's so frustrating. What month are you projecting your return home next year?
We are doing the Frances and on to Muxia then Finisterre fly back from Santiago to the UK on 22nd May.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
IT is also a mystery to me as to what will happen in 2021. But I am confident that we will be on the Camino next year.

I have realized my desire is to be on the Camino and not necessarily walking. so I have decided to volunteer in and Albergue to give back and still be a part of the blessings We receive by being part of this century’s old tradition.

If things have settled down, I’d like to do some other travelling after I’m done walking! So. I haven’t figured out when I’ll return!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone - newbie forum member here! Like SusanH, I'm also planning to complete the full French route, but in mid April to May. Hopefully ending in time for Pentecost mass at the Cathedral. Not having done this before, like SusanH, I'm concerned about needing reservations. My first instinct was to hire Caminoways, Follow the Camino, etc to make my reservations (I also need luggage transfers ). But recognize that if I take a day off it will throw off all the reservations made for the complete trip. I'm really torn - I like the peace of mind knowing I don't have to worry about finding a room, but I also may be stressed that I MUST complete each day's walk no matter what. Can anyone provide me with insight to what I should expect crowds/available rooms for that time of year?

Hi everyone - newbie forum member here! Like SusanH, I'm also planning to complete the full French route, but in mid April to May. Hopefully ending in time for Pentecost mass at the Cathedral. Not having done this before, like SusanH, I'm concerned about needing reservations. My first instinct was to hire Caminoways, Follow the Camino, etc to make my reservations (I also need luggage transfers ). But recognize that if I take a day off it will throw off all the reservations made for the complete trip. I'm really torn - I like the peace of mind knowing I don't have to worry about finding a room, but I also may be stressed that I MUST complete each day's walk no matter what. Can anyone provide me with insight to what I should expect crowds/available rooms for that time of year?
I would reserve up to Pamplona. After that the crowd spreads out, as there are more intermediate places to stop. For a first timer, I would definitely reserve Orisson, splitting your trek over the Pyrenees into two days. I think that the steepest part of the entire Camino Frances is between SJPdP and Orisson. Even if you are quite fit, it's never a bad thing to have more time to enjoy the beautiful Pyrenees. Then reserve at the alberbue in Roncesvalles. The next day you can walk to either Zubiri or Larrasoaña. Then Pamplona on the next day. After that you can either wing it, or reserve a day ahead via Booking.com or phoning the albergues directly. By then you should have a good idea of how far you can/want to walk each day.
You can use Correos to transfer your backpack every day. They have an option where you can pre-pay for the entire Camino, and let them know day by day where you will stay.

Hello @amyshmn

When I started at SJPP last year I had flown in from elsewhere in Europe so was quite ‘fresh’ and didn’t need to book Orisson.

But, I had met up with two ladies from Philadelphia who had booked Orisson and they were jet lagged and pleased that they did.

Another couple we travelled with were from Brazil and they wished they had booked Orisson.

For my part I booked up to Zubiri as someone I knew was ahead of us and told us it was busy (they were right). After Zubiri I only booked two days ahead to give me a bit flexibility.

The advice above from @trecile is very good too

As a solo walker, I find that depressing.
There is a simple solution: organise yourself while walking along with others and book together.
I've done this on my last two walks and the sharing even saves money. 😎

Thank you trecile, David and pepi! I think you've convinced me to "trust the Camino". I am a solo walker, although I understand there'll be plenty of people to meet up with and discuss planning as I go. Trecile, that was a great suggestion for the luggage transfer with Correos. As it's the Spanish postal service, their first pick up point is Roncesvalles. Does anyone have any idea how to transfer the luggage from SJPP - Orisson - Roncesvalles?

Thank you trecile, David and pepi! I think you've convinced me to "trust the Camino". I am a solo walker, although I understand there'll be plenty of people to meet up with and discuss planning as I go. Trecile, that was a great suggestion for the luggage transfer with Correos. As it's the Spanish postal service, their first pick up point is Roncesvalles. Does anyone have any idea how to transfer the luggage from SJPP - Orisson - Roncesvalles?
Yes. Express Bourricot will transfer your bag on the French side, and to Roncesvalles. And if you have any extra luggage that you would like to have sent ahead to Santiago they do that too. They are next door to the Pilgrim's Office.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
amyshmn - advice above good. I too am solo walker. I book ahead for the whole route. Some people don't like to do this, however, it keeps me on track, I don't spend time on my phone or worrying about accommodations in the next town. Lots of factors on booking ahead - Holy Year, more people moved plans from 2020 to 2021, some of the smaller albergues/pensiones may be closed permanently. Jacotrans will also transfer bag daily from SJDP to Santiago, you can make arrangements in SJDP. I plan to be in Santiago for the Pentecost (May 2021), but am taking the Coastal Portuguese Camino from Porto. Buen Camino, look for me in the square or nearest pub - I'll have a Texas pin on backpack.

Hi SusanH - would you mind sharing how you booked the few that you did? I've been looking online to book SJPP through Roncensvalles, but everything I'm finding online indicated there's no vacancies - which I'm interpreting as not willing to take bookings yet (they can't ALL be booked up already, right?).

Thanks Dojo - I'm definitely taking those's advice and at least booking SJPP through Roncesvalles. If I can find anyone willing to take a reservation. I'll look for the Texas pin! :)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Update: I have re-set the reservation! Hallelujah!!! Tuesday after Easter until early June, Via de la Plata. (All other walks are still maybe, maybe. Between the horribly confused way that cases, etc., are reported and the smaller outbreaks of the bug that appear here n there, it's really hard to know if any fall walk will be possible.)

It's important to figure out whether it's really, really important to have things like luggage transfer. We have never sent the packs on ahead because with very few exceptions we haven't really known for sure where we would sleep the night. God provides. And we don't walk late into the afternoon--after all, we need time to shower, wash clothes, and eat as well as sleep. FWIW in 2014 we hauled into El Burgo Ranero at 1530 and all the albergues were completo already. We got a room above one of the bars. Had TV, watched an infomercial about the spin-mop. Had never heard of such a thing, found it fascinating. You never know what will come to pass on the Camino. :)

Not sure about my travel insurance ........... what we have been hearing from people within the industry is ..........................nobody will be covered from Oz for a very long time.
Thus we are trying to keep well ....and we are very very positive people.
First things first and remember that saying in St J PP on a wall;
How do you make God laugh...............tell him your plans.
Stay positive and keep well.

t's important to figure out whether it's really, really important to have things like luggage transfer.
O
Old Age mate
Did it rough for 8 yrs and then about 4 yrs ago excelled at longer durations [46 days] with less km per day.
The beds are better , the expected snoring HRH has accepted occurs , the dinners are later and the towns / villages take a different perspective after 10pm.........that's when the albeegues are locked.
I think Le Puy commenced this trait and the Primitivo made sure we kept it.

Last edited:
As a solo walker, I find that depressing.
So do I. My heart sank. When I did the Camino a few years ago I did not actually realise you could book rooms ahead when I started to walk - apart from Orisson which I had been told about and advised to email. I think I must have come from a different planet. I really do understand the pressure to get everything organised in advance and, indeed, booked rooms ahead when I walked part of the Ruta de Lana with 2 friends where there is so little accommodation we were afraid we would have nowhere to stay if others were on the road too - which there weren't. So that was a lesson. And of course the Covid-19 situation has changed everything. But booking whole albergues for groups? In the Brierley book, we are counselled not to be judgemental about how others do their Caminos. That is good advice but sometimes hard to put into practice. I am not sure if I want to be involved in all this anymore as stressing about getting somewhere to sleep outweighs the reasons I want to walk. I do accept we cannot turn the clock back, things evolve and even in what might seem like a carnival atmosphere in some places along the Camino, meaning and enlightenment may be found. It was definitely one of the best experiences of my life.

Hi SusanH - would you mind sharing how you booked the few that you did? I've been looking online to book SJPP through Roncensvalles, but everything I'm finding online indicated there's no vacancies - which I'm interpreting as not willing to take bookings yet (they can't ALL be booked up already, right?).
There only two possible accommodation places between StJdP and Roncesvalles: Orrison & Valcarlos, each on their separate routes. In current circumstances its perfectly possible they are either booked out by speculative pilgrims, or yes, they aren't interested in taking bookings when no-one has a clue as to what the world will look like so far ahead and with so many variables built into the chaos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My apologies.... Did you get your bookings sorted out?!!!

Looking to return to the UK on the 22nd May

We walked the CF in Sept 2019 and only booked the first four nights. Ran into trouble in a big way. When in Burgos we booked the entire balance of the Camino through to SDC with no regrets! Peace of mind knowing I had a place to sleep served me well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.