• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rolling Walker

Terri Palmer

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk the Camino in Sept. 2017
Would I be able to use a rolling walker on the Camino. I plan on starting at O'Cebreiro. I will only be walking 10-15 miles a day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Terri Palmer it can be done but you would need assistance in some places. We passed a group of disabled people walking from Portomarin to Santiago (including some in wheelchairs) and they made it, but they did have assistance - extra people to push, pull wheelchairs over the difficult bits and sometimes they had to lift people. Our member @sillydoll has accompanied a couple of small groups on that last section, including some people on walkers - try sending her a PM ("start a conversation" under your login).

Here are a few threads on wheelchair caminos that may be helpful/inspiring:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...heelchair-camino-but-need-some-answers.37371/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-wheelchair-on-the-frances.43433/#post-447810

Terri, much will depend on your ability to use the walker in a variety of less than ideal conditions:
  1. there are sections of rocky and muddy trail where small, narrow wheels are likely to be more difficult to use than wider tyres on larger diameter wheels.
  2. I recall several stream crossings being a series of stepping stones rather than a continuous pathway, and others where the bridge is a single plank that goes along the length of the bridge.
  3. Some parts of the path are steep, both up- and down-hill.
It is not clear whether you will be travelling alone. If you are, there is always the prospect than another pilgrim will give you a hand when you need it, but that clearly cannot be guaranteed.

Note, like @Kanga, I have seen people in wheelchairs doing different parts of the Camino, but they have always had some sort of support. Thus far, I have not seen anyone using a roller walker, so it will be interesting to read how you go and what advice you would have for others on this.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Terri, much will depend on your ability to use the walker in a variety of less than ideal conditions:
  1. there are sections of rocky and muddy trail where small, narrow wheels are likely to be more difficult to use than wider tyres on larger diameter wheels.
  2. I recall several stream crossings being a series of stepping stones rather than a continuous pathway, and others where the bridge is a single plank that goes along the length of the bridge.
It is not clear whether you will be travelling alone. If you are, there is always the prospect than another pilgrim will give you a hand when you need it, but that clearly cannot be guaranteed.

No bte, like @Kanga, I have seen people in wheelchairs doing different parts of the Camino, but they have always had some sort of support. Thus far, I have not seen anyone using a roller walker, so it will be interesting to read how you go and what advice you would have for others on this.
I will be traveling with younger brother.

Each year there are many persons who do the Camino in ruggedized wheelchairs, and on various styles of crutches. The type with the nylon upper arm "loop" or support, forearm crutches, seem to be most evident.

I suggest that a walker would be problematic especially on uphill and downhill segments. Others have pointed this out. However, I have a father who must use a walker daily, on level surfaces. This appears to be challenging enough, without factoring in carrying a rucksack of any size, affecting balance, and the uneven terrain. The rigidity and rectangular structure of a walking frame are not a wise idea for walking in the woods...

I would further suggest and recommend that, if you use the walker frame for stability, or a place to rest frequently, using the more rugged crutches might give you more flexibility, especially when ascending and descending on uneven terrain.

I just googled "hiking crutches." Here is that URL:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hik...me..69i57j0.2774j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I poked into a few vendor sources for more specifics. My finding is that you can replicate the utility of top-end hiking piles used by many of us on the Camino, while adding the necessary adaptions for someone who is mobility challenged and needs additional support to remain vertical. Here are two of the places that the above search returned:

http://www.fetterman-crutches.com/index.php

http://www.activemsers.org/gear/reviewforearmcrutches.html

The later site is a review by a Multiple Sclerosis support group for crutches made by a Canadian company and intended for athletic use. In particular, they looked at a spiked tip that replaces a flat rubber tip for maximum traction. This would be a very good idea for going up and DOWN hills on a Camino. However, you would want a removable set of flat, textured, rubber-type "feet" for us on paved surfaces.

Lastly, I want to share with you the experiences of "Steven." This past July, I saw a fellow named Steven at the daily Catholic Mass at 10:30 in the Cathedral. A week later, folks on this Forum were keen to find out if "Steven" completed his Camino, from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago.

The poster on this Forum informed us that "Steven" was from London, UK, had MS, and apparently walked with forearm crutches, while carrying his entire full rucksack, SOLO, from France to Santiago. Providentially, I happened to see a fellow, meeting their description, sitting against the cool stone wall of the chapel at the Mass.

I was able to confirm, by interviewing fellow staff at the Pilgrim Office, that Steven had indeed arrived several days previously, from St. Jean Pied de Port, had received both his Compostela and a distance certificate attesting to his achievement. While all that statistical information is retained for future use, names are NEVER input to any computer. So, I had to interview a few people to discover what day "Steven" appeared at the office for his Compostela.

As Steven arrived on crutches, he was taken immediately into the office for private processing so he would n0t have to wait on the line. That is how things are done.

So, YES, you can do the Camino de Santiago. An adaptation to suit your needs can always be found. Others have done this arduous pilgrimage before you.

I, and all the others here, wish you a Buen Camino!

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I suggest that a walker would be problematic especially on uphill and downhill segments. Others have pointed this out. However, I have a father who must use a walker daily, on level surfaces. This appears to be challenging enough, without factoring in carrying a rucksack of any size, affecting balance, and the uneven terrain. The rigidity and rectangular structure of a walking frame are not a wise idea for walking in the woods...
@t2andreo, there are more robust walkers with a tricycle layout and more substantial wheels available for 'cross country' use that appear would be more suitable for the mix of track on the Camino. There will still be difficulties to address, but if @Terri Palmer is walking with her brother, she will have assistance.

Would I be able to use a rolling walker on the Camino. I plan on starting at O'Cebreiro. I will only be walking 10-15 miles a day.

In that section of the Camino, it is very cobble-stoney, pot-holey and generally rough, especially downhill. I walked 10-15 miles a day and used two trekking poles. O C was such a challenge for me, I took a bus down.

From there, you are walking on paved asphalt, unpaved trail (which has stones and gravel and holes and small streams, mud and muck) bridges made of wood planks and stones, and LOTS of stairs.... rarely will you find a surface that can accept a rolling cart. I saw no one on the Camino with this type of gear.

Attachments

• steps-Bridge-Portomarin-Galicia-Spain-Camino-de-Santiago.jpg
    steps-Bridge-Portomarin-Galicia-Spain-Camino-de-Santiago.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
and LOTS of stairs.... rarely will you find a surface that can accept a rolling cart.
No doubt there are places where it might be necessary to consider taking alternatives, such as considering the cycle route from time to time. I doubt many cyclists use the stairs at Portomarin! And there will be other places where one might need to find a suitable alternative route. But I think it is overstatement to suggest that it would be rare to find surfaces that would accept a cross country walker. I'm not suggesting that it will be easy, but having seen people walk with prams and others do the camino in wheelchairs, I suspect there might be good practical sources of information around that would help the OP understand how this might be achieved.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In accomplishing your Camino, while adjusting for any mobility challenges, consider that it IS LEGITIMATE to "leap frog" along the route using taxis or buses, within reason. Technically, the only portion of any route that you must "walk" to qualify for the Compostela is the final 100 Km into Santiago.

Over several Caminos, I have had days where injury, pain, weather, ennui, or some combination of these issues have placed me in a taxi or on a bus to complete the day's planned distance, usually based on the Brierley stages. Doing this on a "one-off" basis does not invalidate your Camino.

You simply stop at a cafe and ask for a taxi. It goes something like this: "Necessito uno taxi, para (name of place)...ahorra (now)...por favor." Please pardon my poor grammar.

The person working the bar will usually always call the local taxi company and tell you how many minutes until the taxi arrives. Have a coffee or tea and relax.

Plan on paying about one Euro per kilometer. It is not customary in Europe to tip. Instead round up to a near full Euro.

Buses are far less expensive over a longer distance. But taxis are infinitely more flexible.

So, when you come to an obstacle or segment of the route that you are unable to navigate, it is appropriate to skip ahead a bit. My definition of "a bit" is a maximum distance of one full day's walking. But consider that this is MY opinion. There are no set rules.

Your individual situation and abilities determine what you must do to accomplish YOUR Camino.

I hope this helps.

Plan on paying about one Euro per kilometer. It is not customary in Europe to tip. Instead round up to a near full Euro.

Uh oh, I know a lot of European taxi drivers that would strongly disagree with you and be quite offended to get such a low 'tip'! If you are happy with the driving/service 10% tip are customary, if the driver went out of his/her way to help you up to 15% are appropriate.
Buen Camino, SY

I stand corrected. My personal practice is to round up to the next five-Euro multiple, or to add something around 10 percent (ish). I repeated above what I have always been told.

Now, having been told differently, by a resident European veteran peregrina, I stand very much corrected. Thank you for your correction.

What SYates says is more correct than what I said...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
:D ;):) Lol, just editing your original post would have been enough! Buen Camino

No doubt there are places where it might be necessary to consider taking alternatives, such as considering the cycle route from time to time. I doubt many cyclists use the stairs at Portomarin! And there will be other places where one might need to find a suitable alternative route. But I think it is overstatement to suggest that it would be rare to find surfaces that would accept a cross country walker. I'm not suggesting that it will be easy, but having seen people walk with prams and others do the camino in wheelchairs, I suspect there might be good practical sources of information around that would help the OP understand how this might be achieved.
Thanks, I see that I will have lots of options. I really wanted to start at O'Cebreiro instead of Sarria. Will I have any trouble finding an alternative route, will it be marked? Also will I be able to find places to stay if I do less miles in a day-like in the smaller villages?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Uh oh, I know a lot of European taxi drivers that would strongly disagree with you and be quite offended to get such a low 'tip'! If you are happy with the driving/service 10% tip are customary, if the driver went out of his/her way to help you up to 15% are appropriate.
Buen Camino, SY
The subject of tipping is Spain appears to be a bit of a distraction, as well as appearing in its own threads from time to time. I have just done a search on the words 'tipping taxi drivers spain' and the responses varied from 'Tipping is not a custom in Spain ...' and 'tipping is not considered obligatory ...' through to 'Round tip off to the nearest Euro ...'. Only one source in the first two pages of results suggested tipping 10%, noting at the same time that it was acceptable not to tip at all. None suggested anything above that.

My view is that @t2andreo's original remark was acceptable and does not need to be edited.

Thanks, I see that I will have lots of options. I really wanted to start at O'Cebreiro instead of Sarria. Will I have any trouble finding an alternative route, will it be marked? Also will I be able to find places to stay if I do less miles in a day-like in the smaller villages?
I don't have personal experience finding alternatives, but my thinking would be that those who have cycled, walked with a pram or used a wheelchair might be able to give you advice on this.

There are accommodation options that allow one to do shorter daily distances, particularly from Sarria. This year, my wife and I took 10 days to walk the section from Sarria to Santiago, so an average of around 12 km/day, although that was quite variable because we did some really short days (eg San Marcos to Santiago) as well as some longer ones (around 16-18 km).

Doug:

I do not mind a charitable correction, ever. It's not like I am being lined up and shot at sunrise. Besides, Sybilla lives in Europe. Except for my several months in Spain annually, I have not done so for the past eight years. So, I defer to her superior experience and exposure. I consider it a sort of noblesse oblige...;)... or channeling my feminine side...:eek:

Cheers, mate:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For all of us, but especially those like the OP or folks who perceive a limitation in doing the camino, please google "I will push you camino" and then reassess your plans. We can do so much more than we realize. I love anyone who tries.

€83,-

Note, like @Kanga, I have seen people in wheelchairs doing different parts of the Camino, but they have always had some sort of support. Thus far, I have not seen anyone using a roller walker, so it will be interesting to read how you go and what advice you would have for others on this.

I have returned from my camino with a rolling walker. I started in O'Cebreiro with my brother. I could not have done it without him. We made it to Santiago in 10 days. There were many times he had to carry my walker because it was so rocky. It was 10 times harder than expected because I trained in Houston(flat) and I found it to be Very Steep. But it was very beautiful and rewarding. I recommend it for .everyone but I would not use a walker again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Fantastic! Well done, you! Thank you for letting us know that you both made it to Santiago. It is really nice to get updates like yours.

What a wonderful outcome. Congratulations.
Are you interested in doing another camino using different apparatus? What do you think would work better than the walker?

@Kiwi-family is right (mind you I did think when I first read her post that she might have her teacher hat on :):):)) but on reflection she is on the ball. You have first hand experience that would be invaluable to anyone wanting to walk the camino with mobility issues.
XO

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Kiwi-family is right (mind you I did think when I first read her post that she might have her teacher hat on :):):)) but on reflection she is on the ball. You have first hand experience that would be invaluable to anyone wanting to walk the camino with mobility issues.
XO

I was wearing my floppy "curious to find out more" hat - I was personally interested, but agree with you @HedaP that it could be information that might benefit others.
(Now I'm dissecting my comment, trying to work out which bit was teachery - was it the formality of the first two sentences? Was it the probing for more? Was it asking questions that might sound like rhetorical ones, even though they weren't? Overthinking, methinks;-) oh yes, and I hope the congrats didn't sound condescending - wasn't meant to be!)

I was wearing my floppy "curious to find out more" hat - I was personally interested, but agree with you @HedaP that it could be information that might benefit others.
(Now I'm dissecting my comment, trying to work out which bit was teachery - was it the formality of the first two sentences? Was it the probing for more? Was it asking questions that might sound like rhetorical ones, even though they weren't? Overthinking, methinks;-) oh yes, and I hope the congrats didn't sound condescending - wasn't meant to be!)
NO absolutely not at all condescending. It was the usual kind post that you do all the time. It was the last sentence that sounded like something a teacher would ask to help a student assess and learn from their experience. ;) So sorry no offence or criticism intended. XO
Edited to correct spelling mistakes. :p:p:p

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@HedaP No apology required! No offense taken!! This will make you smile: when we sit down to watch a movie at least one of my kids will say, “No commenting, no critiquing, no thinking OK mum? We just want to watch”. I can’t help myself;-)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@HedaP No apology required! No offense taken!! This will make you smile: when we sit down to watch a movie at least one of my kids will say, “No commenting, no critiquing, no thinking OK mum? We just want to watch”. I can’t help myself;-)
Oh is that how you spell offense?!! :p:p:p
Don’t worry I was a librarian. Always happy to tell people how to organise things and how to find answers to queries.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back