• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roman Roads // Camino connectors

amorfati1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2014_Caminho Portuguese (Lisboa to Santiago_4 weeks in May)
Greetings -
researching yesterday reg the Via Claudia Augustus (from the south through the Alps, nowadays Italy through Austria to Germany) which took 60 years to built, I found the sites below which might be of interest.
During the camino I often walked over or across or alongside Roman roads and was always intrigued by the longevity of those paths, among many other aspects of roman roads.

https://omnesviae.org/#!iter_Tredente_Avgvsta vindelicv

and for roman sites nearby

best wishes - C

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Interesting topic!

When I walked from Trier to Le Puy, I also used long stretches on the roman road connecting Lyon and Cologne, called the Via Agrippa. It's good as a walking path or for agricultural traffic. The French highways A6 and A31 cover the same direction and are successors of this road.

It is most likely that a lot of pilgrims in medieval times from northern/western Germany also used this road.

Harald

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You know, it's funny. Walking from Paris we were on a lot of Roman roads, but somehow it never occurred to me what they were until I reached a stretch that was actually called the chemin de César.

I don't have the book in front of me, but Brierley mentions some of the Roman roads of the Frances in his guidebook. It says that they aren't sure where the bedrock to build them up came from, since there were no quarries nearby. The Romans would have had to have hauled the stone in from hundreds of miles away. I found that pretty interesting.

Great topic!

Those who have walked the Camino Francés will remember the Roman road and bridge on the stage between Puente la Reina and Estella.

34957788634_6bb4e76119_z.jpg

35628900942_18fe97044d_z.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back