• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A long (winding) road.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When walking on the CF as it emerged from the dense forest could at last be glimpsed the distant San Juan de Ortega monastery.
A very welcome sight! On my first Camino I had spent almost all the walk through the forest sweating and vomiting and I was a physical wreck when the monastery came in sight. A huge relief to see the end in view! The priest gave me a huge glass of neat gin to settle my innards which worked miraculously. But none of his infamous garlic soup. Since then I have had a soft spot for the place! :cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is that a Kiwi mountain lion about to eat you?
It is my companion and protector. She guards my back.

Sometimes we have a little difficulty getting a bed in the albergues but when this happens I leave her watching my pack while I go off for a cafe solo and usually by the time that I get back there are often lots of vacant beds.

I am not sure why this happens 🤔

I think I must like taking photos of long and winding roads. I seem to have a lot!

El Cubo to Villanueva de Campean on the VdlP.
A classic 'Photo Op' on this route I think........

View attachment 163713
@Robo you have a real knack for extraordinarily beautiful photos, thanks for sharing them with us 🙏

CF - Sept 2013. I’ve seen this bit of trail posted a few times. Here’s my view. I recall feeling spunky on this section as I picked up my pace to a slight jog going down as if to gain momentum for the incline. Did it work? Probably not. 🤷🏻‍♀️😅
View attachment 163729
I presume Oca features in the location? I have a couple of unflattering photos, perhaps lost in a recent cyber attack, will double check.
This is such a delightful thread!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Definitely reminds me of Oca now you've mentioned it. Was there a little bridge in the dip?
Here is the "little bridge" in snow 16 years ago.

Alto de la Pedraja
crossing the Montes de Oca

photo taken February 2, 2008, am

Polo, 2008.jpg

I presume Oca features in the location? I have a couple of unflattering photos, perhaps lost in a recent cyber attack, will double check.
This is such a delightful thread!
Are you saying my photo is unflattering? It may not be the prettiest photo but it’s mine and brings me a wonderful memory. I don’t recall the exact location only it was before I came to this place, before Burgos.
Santiago%202013%201st%20SIM%20Card%20163.jpeg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Are you saying my photo is unflattering? It may not be the prettiest photo but it’s mine and brings me a wonderful memory. I don’t recall the exact location only it was before I came to this place, before Burgos.
View attachment 163767
Oh my goodness, no! I was remembering two very unflattering photos of me, looking at what lay ahead, with disbelief.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've mentioned earlier about how a number of places keep showing up in photos. A good number of years ago there was a thread with a theme of something like "Match my photo" started by @VNwalking I think. Anyway, these two pictures of mine taken at Cuesta de Matamulos are the last ones I have of the popular spots that meet the theme of an inviting long (winding) road.
D17900-HOR.jpg D18100-HOR.jpg

Oh okay 🤣 makes sense now. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Now go find those photos. 😳
You provoked me, so I just tried to scour my memory, and recalled I had found some photos on a thumb drive, and here is one of the two I had been thinking of. You have to imagine it, as the uppy downy bit is out of the scene, but if you have been there, you can fill in the blanks! I will look for the other one. now, time to make bread so that second photo can wait for another day.
Can you imagine what I am saying as I look ahead?🤣

r005-003.JPG

You provoked me, so I just tried to scour my memory, and recalled I had found some photos on a thumb drive, and here is one of the two I had been thinking of. You have to imagine it, as the uppy downy bit is out of the scene, but if you have been there, you can fill in the blanks! I will look for the other one. now, time to make bread so that second photo can wait for another day.

View attachment 163805
Priceless! Oh the thoughts are endless. Soldier on pilgrim, soldier on.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All too well.
I remember coming around a corner on the Invierno, admiring a castle that came into view high on a hill...until I realized the Camino was actually going up there. "Seriously!? Nooooooo wayyyyy...."
Of course, one slow step at a time and it was fine.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
4 minutes till bread is ready, and here is photo 2!

View attachment 163810
2006, almost 59, left Roncesvalles 23rd June, arrived Santiago 29 days later.
Learned so much! would not have missed it for the world!
Well look at you go!! 🏃🏻‍♀️ 29 days is a major accomplishment. In my eyes this is a very cute picture of you highlighting your perseverance. 🥰 The little pilgrim that could.

Last edited:
These glorious photos remind me of the last three stanzas of the J.R.R. Tolkien poem, "The Roads Go Ever On":

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with weary feet,
Until it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone.
Let others follow, if they can!
Let them a journey new begin.
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road or secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.
Thank you for posting this beautiful poem.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Does this qualify?
The approach to Merida bridge.
Certainly does, much more than this short bit of the Camino. Still, I have to count this one of mine because I often have problems with bridges and walking across this one I felt it to be a lot longer than it really is.

Looking back from Portomarin.
Q34500-HOR.jpg

Certainly does, much more than this short bit of the Camino. Still, I have to count this one of mine because I often have problems with bridges and walking across this one I felt it to be a lot longer than it really is.

Looking back from Portomarin.
View attachment 163962
Taken from the 'staircase'?

Taken from the 'staircase'?
Yes. The stairs don't appear because I believe I zoomed in to telephoto.

And as long as I'm posting, I'll add in a spooky tree picture though not as spooky as @mspath's trees. The Camino here may not qualify as appearing long or winding or inviting but I'm sending it in anyway. Location lost to me.
Q28100-VER.jpg

This is where (as we wind on down the road) bloke meets "the Lady we all know, who shines white light ....."

Led Zeppelin 1969
Can you expand? Was the song some way related to the place? Love Led Z.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes. The stairs don't appear because I believe I zoomed in to telephoto.

And as long as I'm posting, I'll add in a spooky tree picture though not as spooky as @mspath's trees. The Camino here may not qualify as appearing long or winding or inviting but I'm sending it in anyway. Location lost to me.
View attachment 163975
This spooky tree has eyes and a gaping mouth. It must be sharing tales of old. :eek:

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Can you expand? Was the song some way related to the place? Love Led Z.
Stairway to Heaven is both the most popular pop song of all time (by most measures) and the least understood, but with my own "life experiences" I am rather sure of the meaning IMHO - or at least "it all adds up".

It has 3 movements and starts with a statement of fact about a mad woman on the loose who will stop at nothing to buy her Stairway and such a "big legged woman has got no soul" that was trying to "infiltrate Led Zeppelin at that very time was Germaine Greer about to release her "blockbuster" about Eunuchs and her small f feminist empire from 1970 (to who knows when)

As it happened Led Zeppelin SAW through her but it was Creme that WENT through her while LZ took off for the wilds of Wales to "catch their breath and write a song or two" including Stairway (and Black Dog).

I will move to movement 2 in another post if you are interested but it starts with the memorable lines that should resonate with any Camino Pilgrim (or St Davids in LZ case)

"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West
and my spirit is crying for leaving"

"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West
A bit of cultural and geographical background:
If you look to the west from St David´s, what you will see is St George´s Channel (the south end of the Irish Sea) and on a very clear day, Rosslare Harbour. Santiago de Compostela is more or less due south. The Female Eunuch (Germaine Greer) was published in 1970, Stairway to Heaven was released a year later in 1971. ´Creme´ presumably refers to the band Cream which dissolved in 1968 and consisted of Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker, only one of whom is still alive but probably interested to hear what was meant by ´WENT through her´. Stairway to Heaven was famously covered by Rolf Harris. The words ¨big legged woman has got no soul¨ are not part of the lyrics.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.