• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ryanair from Dublin - poles

Mickledene

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, I'm flying with Ryanair in August into Biarritz to walk the Camino again. The last time I walked in 2015 I checked my walking poles into the hold strapped to my rucksack and had it wrapped in the airport but when I collected it at Biarritz airport one of the poles had a retractable section missing. This time I have bought folding poles and hope to take them in my 35 litre rucksack as hand luggage. Has anyone flown recently with Ryanair and tried this successfully?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Whether or not your poles are allowed on the plane is up to airport security, not the airline.

Check with the air security regulations online for shipping from Dublin. In the US, hiking poles and ski poles are no longer allowed in the cabin.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Check with the air security regulations online for shipping from Dublin. In the US, hiking poles and ski poles are no longer allowed in the cabin.
Technically that's true, but it's at the discretion of the TSA agent on the day of travel. Many members from the US report that they have successfully carried their poles on the plane. However, that doesn't apply to the OP's question.

Here's a good thread about poles on planes: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...sticks-into-the-airplane-cabin-with-me.73727/

We were able to get our poles through in hand luggage in 2016, but not since then. They are the fold up kind that fit in a bag inside your backpack.

Yes, he should check his country's regulations.

There's really little point in going by anecdotal evidence. You might be able to but you'll be disappointed if you're not. I've gotten away with checking a stick through for free in other airports as well as in Santiago and I've gotten away with feigning injury and hobbling through with my 'walking aid into the cabin in several airports too. But I've always been prepared to accept having it confiscated.

If your own poles are important, I would say check them through, or pick up a cheap pair in SJPP or Pamplona.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I'm flying with Ryanair in August into Biarritz to walk the Camino again. The last time I walked in 2015 I checked my walking poles into the hold strapped to my rucksack and had it wrapped in the airport but when I collected it at Biarritz airport one of the poles had a retractable section missing. This time I have bought folding poles and hope to take them in my 35 litre rucksack as hand luggage. Has anyone flown recently with Ryanair and tried this successfully?
Yes, I flew from Dublin to Lourdes with Ryanair on June 17th. I dissassembled my poles and stored them in my checked luggage. No issues.
Likewise for return flight. No issues.

My luggage was a Osprey kestrel 48. I just cinched down all the straps and wrapped the backside of the pack in my XL rucksack cover leaving only a limited portion of front pocket and the baggage tag uncovered.

I guess you were just a little unlucky as wrapping your poles with your luggage should have been sufficent to secure them.

Hi, I put my poles into my backpack having checked it on board. No issue. That was April this year, 2023. As said above its the airpirt security and not the airline. However, I would not give Ryanair a chance to charge me so I kept them out of sight. Buen camino.

I travel a few times each year with poles collapsed in carry on luggage and never stopped at Dublin T1 or T2 security.

Likewise at Biarritz.

Buen Camino.

(P.S. If travelling to USA via Dublin pre clearance immigration I assume poles would not be allowed.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In the US, hiking poles and ski poles are no longer allowed in the cabin.
This categorical statement is simply not true, even though your personal experience might be so. Perhaps that is the policy at the airport where you typically start.

There's really little point in going by anecdotal evidence.
Very true. Those anecdotes differ and the explanations can get contentious.

Hi, I put my poles into my backpack having checked it on board. No issue. That was April this year, 2023. As said above its the airpirt security and not the airline. However, I would not give Ryanair a chance to charge me so I kept them out of sight. Buen camino.
This adds to the confusion. "Checking" usually means putting into the luggage hold on the plane, not carrying onboard into the passenger cabin.

There is no definitive answer beyond what is described in this FAQ post .

I did no issue.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My solution to poles was acquiring a set from Black Diamond which folds into three sections and therefore can be put into my 48 liter backpack. Fits handily.
Whiteblaze AKA BlueBlaze

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why try to buck the system. It is a rule despite the officer discretion statement.
We have been through this many times before. It is pejorative to call this "bucking" the system, It IS the system. The system is made up of laws that give authority to various agencies, there are guidelines for interpretation, and there are local policies to be applied. That is all part of the system that results hopefully in a safe airspace but sometimes, in inconsistencies and even oddities.

I have those 3 fold poles too. In 2016 they allowed them, but not since...
Yes. Others have had different experiences, and different jurisdictions have different laws and policies..

Last edited:
This has been discussed for as long as I have been a member, and neither the TSA nor other civil aviation safety authority rules have changed in that time. Some members put a lot of work into getting the right wording of the FAQ post @C clearly has already referred to, and my view is that it is currently the very best advice on this subject that we have had. If you haven't read it, you should before contemplating contributing further to this or any other discussion on poles.
There is no definitive answer beyond what is described in this FAQ post .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you haven't read it, you should before contemplating contributing further to this or any other discussion on poles.
Absolutely! In the face of some steep competition probably the most pointless of the usual suspects. Maybe we should have an amendment to the forum rules? Rule 14: No posts about trekking poles in cabin baggage! :)

For crying out loud just stick your poles in your hand baggage and practice your ‘innocent’ face. For the ten of us who will point you to the clear guidance that it’s not permitted there are plenty who will tell you that it’s OK - but will not point you to any statement you can rely on to confirm that.

@C clearly ’s excellent summary referred to above is as close to definitive as you’re going to get.

It really is time that we called an end to this pointless exchange.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Let's do the maths. What are the chances of our being allowed to take our poles onboard? A lot less than 50%. When we buy our expensive or cheap poles, do we think 'there is a much greater chance than fifty-fifty that these poles will be taken away from me at the airport?' before we shell out our hard-earned cash?

You can check your luggage, check your poles in a cardboard tube, buy them when you arrive; or flip a coin and chuck them in the bin if it comes up heads. If you try to take them on board, the security staff are more likely than not to take them away from you, it is that simple.

I know there are a lot of people very weary of this topic. And I know that this post is asking about Dublin, but we have strayed far from that already. I am talking about the USA only. At my 4th of July parade, I ran into one of our local airport’s TSA personnel and just for fun asked her about this eternal debate that we have on the forum over what is and what is not allowed. I told her that I have for more than 15 years carried my folding z-poles in my carry-on backpack with no problem, and that I have been accused (here on the forum) of being a scofflaw. And that I wondered what her (unofficial of course) opinion was.

She told me that, in my airport at least, the TSA has concluded that the prohibition applies to one-piece hiking poles, and not to things that are collapsed into segments. They have decided that the purpose of the prohibition is to prevent the use of the pole as a weapon. Turning a z-pole into a weapon would be time-consuming, inefficient, and certain to attract attention. She said to me that it is less dangerous than a knitting needle, which is universally allowed.

BTW, covering up the pointy ends of your poles with a rubber tip has absolutelly no impact on the TSA machines, so if your poles are going to be denied, it doesn’t matter whether there are rubber tips on them or not.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What data do you have?
It is a well known fact that 47% of all statistics are invented on the spur of the moment to win an argument. I confess, it was a guess, but I feel pretty confident that the chances of having your poles confiscated are high enough to make it not worth trying, which is the point I was trying to make. Hopefully.

It is a well known fact that 47% of all statistics are invented on the spur of the moment to win an argument.
So true! However, you need to factor in the cases where the passenger is prepared to go back to check in the poles if so required. Admittedly, it is also well known that only 23.6% of passengers get to the airport with time available to do this. If the flight departs at 12 noon, that number goes up to 39%. :cool:

That was from Dublin to Biarritz

I did a search and couldn't find a specific mention of hiking poles in the stuff about Dublin airport security - except a 2017 tweet on Twitter saying they were fine. (But Aer Lingus don't allow them on their regional flights). But generally Dublin security is fairly okay - except for the big obvious security risk items (and liquids)

I once checked with security at Dublin Airport and was told collapsible poles in hand luggage was not a problem. I have never experience any difficulty going out. Santiago Airport security has a different view and this was overcome by Aer Lingus and Ryanair accepting checked-in poles without charge. Recently someone suggested that the practice of handing over poles at the Ryanair desk had ceased. I tried to get clarification from Ryanair via Twitter but did not receive a reply. Liam

Hi, I have flown TO Spain Dublin-Biarritz and Spanish airports with Ryanair, for many years, with folded/disassembled poles inside my carry-on pack. No problem with Dublin Airport security, and Ryanair none the wiser. Returning from Spanish airports is another matter-- see other threads here on the forum. Returning with Aer Lingus is one solution, with one's permitted carry-on bag checked-in for free.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
… bearing in mind that the security staff at any given airport are not directly employed by any specific airline.
Indeed, which raises the question of who does employ them, the airport, or the relevant national civil aviation safety authority? I have always assumed the latter, but I have never checked that assumption.

As an aside, if those who are claiming that carriage of poles as cabin baggage is permitted by the Irish national civil aviation safety authority could provide a link to @C clearly, I'm sure that this would be included in the FAQ post.

Why try to buck the system. It is a rule despite the officer discretion statement. They won't let a full water bottle through or a pocket knife or a hand grenade...
I will leave my poles behind and purchase a new pair in St Jean-Pied-de-Port. Does anyone have any idea of the French prices?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Like the majority of the posters in this thread I don't live in Ireland. I rarely fly Ryanair and I even more rarely fly from Dublin - in fact, only once so far. As @roving_rufus ("From Ireland") observed in post #28, walking sticks or walking poles do not appear in the list of prohibited items on the Dublin airport website. No surprise: the list is a verbatim copy from the EU's common basic standards on aviation security; walking sticks had been removed from their list of prohibited items in cabin baggage in AD 2015. It is a minimum rule which means that they are neither explicitly prohibited nor explicitly allowed.

A further observation in post #28 informs of a 2017 tweet from @DublinAirport on Twitter saying they were fine. A quick search for tweets from @DublinAirport about poles or sticks reveals more than one tweet. Make of them what you want. I'd say that @C clearly's statement says all there is to say unless you want to share your own personal and recent experience at Dublin Airport. In chronological order:

2023-06.jpg
2019-04.jpg
2018-09-18.jpg
2018-09-10.jpg
2018-08-23.jpg
2018-08-03.jpg
2018-05.jpg
2017-07.jpg2016-07.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Like numerous other comments in the thread, the following comment has nothing to do with flying Ryanair from Dublin. I am adding this information for one reason: That future discussions, should they deemed necessary despite @C clearly 's statement, concentrate on the airport in question and do not dwell on foreign jurisdictions. The belief that walking poles (proper walking poles for people who do not need a walking aid) are generally prohibited in cabin luggage is wrong. There are airports where they are explicitly allowed. Zürich is one of them, see below, and there are others:

Zürich.jpg
Source: https://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch/de/passagiere/fliegen/rund-um-den-flug/was-darf-ins-gepaeck and https://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch/en...ut-the-flight/what-is-allowed-in-your-baggage

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.