• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sagrada Familia Church Will Be Completed in 2026

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In reality, the Church will not be finished until 2034 when the now controversial entranceway is scheduled to be completed.
When the Church was 1st designed, the surrounding area was farmland. Over the years the city grew around the Church. Today, it will be necessary to demolish a very large area of businesses and homes, impacting about 3,000 people.
This will happen unless the Barcelona City Council stops construction of the entranceway.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just read a news story that confirms this beautiful structure will be complete in 2026. There may be other construction going on around the cathedral for many years, but the towers will be done in 2026. I was there in 1977 and it was amazing to go back in 2023 and see how much work they had done.

Attachments

• 0'Sagada Familia at Night.jpg
    0'Sagada Familia at Night.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 0'Sagada Familia Inside 2.jpg
    0'Sagada Familia Inside 2.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 0'Sagada Familia Inside.jpg
    0'Sagada Familia Inside.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 12
  • 0'Sagrada Closeup-1.jpg
    0'Sagrada Closeup-1.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 15
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I was there in 2014 they were saying they wanted to finish in 2026 as that was the 100th anniversary of Gaudi’s death. Hope they get it done. It was beautiful then.

Not sure I would say a building is finished until the front door is ready to be used. That may - or maybe not - be finished by 2034. It appears that there is still no agreement with what to do with the families currently living on the site of the future grand stairway.

If you are going to visit Sagrada Familia I highly recommend attending the International Mass offered Saturday evenings and Sunday mornings. It is wonderful seeing the church used for a service rather than seeing it on a tourist visit.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This 13+ minute video is from a 2013 (11 years ago) program of the American TV program 60 Minutes. While much of the Cathedral has been completed since 2013, 60 Minutes shows a history of the Church and Pope Benedict's consecration of the Church as a Basilica (2010). Some very beautiful video inside the Basilica.

It is only fair to show an opposing view of the Church: George Orwell was once quoted as saying La Sagrada Familia is "one of the most hideous buildings in the world."
Moderators, this is not a political comment on the British--Honest. Well...almost honest🤣🤣

This 13+ minute video is from a 2013 (11 years ago) program of the American TV program 60 Minutes. While much of the Cathedral has been completed since 2013, 60 Minutes shows a history of the Church and Pope Benedict's consecration of the Church as a Basilica (2010). Some very beautiful video inside the Basilica.

It is only fair to show an opposing view of the Church: George Orwell was once quoted as saying La Sagrada Familia is "one of the most hideous buildings in the world."
Moderators, this is not a political comment on the British--Honest. Well...almost honest🤣🤣

This video is unavailable in my country. :-(

I have posted videos that folks in Europe could not watch because of music copyright laws.

I call Sagrada Familia a beautiful monstrosity. It appears to be a mix of many styles, some quite congruent, but it is still lovely to look at.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This particular video is from YouTube.
You might try going straight to CBS-TV 60 Minutes United States--or a varient of that. Maybe that will allow to download from Europe.
I hope you or someone figures out how to download to Europe as it is an interesting segment on the Church.

I have posted videos that folks in Europe could not watch because of music copyright laws.

I call Sagrada Familia a beautiful monstrosity. It appears to be a mix of many styles, some quite congruent, but it is still lovely to look at.
I don't know about Europe. I live in North America. :)

Interesting that you describe it as a mix of styles. It is much less of a mix of styles than many basilicas and cathedrals on the Camino Frances. Certainly much less of a mix of styles than the Cathedral in Santiago, which runs the gamut from Romanesque through to Baroque and Neo-Classical. The Sagrada Familia, on the other hand, is pretty much all the brainchild of one man - interpreted after his death by others, to be sure, but those others have been doing their very best to be true to his original vision.

Interesting that you describe it as a mix of styles. It is much less of a mix of styles than many basilicas and cathedrals on the Camino Frances. Certainly much less of a mix of styles than the Cathedral in Santiago, which runs the gamut from Romanesque through to Baroque and Neo-Classical. The Sagrada Familia, on the other hand, is pretty much all the brainchild of one man - interpreted after his death by others, to be sure, but those others have been doing their very best to be true to his original vision.

Oops! Sorry David,
I assumed you lived in Europe only because I always believed therecwould be no problem downloading USA videos to Canada

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...
One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.