• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

San Fermin 2022

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I thoroughly enjoyed my walk through Pamplona during San Fermin in 2017. I didn't stay in Pamplona that year, and it did take quite a bit a time to walk through. It was so fun seeing everyone celebrating and wearing their traditional white and red clothing.
However, if you hate crowds you should stay away.

I just went through Pamplona this morning. We avoided the running of the bulls, but ended walking in the middle of the procession of San Fermin through town, from the cathedral on. The energy was crazy and we had all the trouble in the world going through… I was happy to get out of town! But I’m still glad I got to see this.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Spanish joy and energy ! Back from the Camino already since one month but still feeling the good vibes and listening to radio nacional de España which has amazing programs if you speak spanish
Watched and listened to the ‘ chupinazo from the Pamplona ayuntamiento yesterday morning !!

In 2016 we walked through during San Fermin. We didn't want to hit the crowds, and we knew accommodations would be slim. We spent the night before in Zabaldika. It took us about 11 hours to walk to Uterga, but we always walked slowly and took long breaks. We walked after the big parties of the night before were done but there were still a few party stragglers around 9 am, and lots of mess. I loved seeing the red and white, it reminded me of Canada day. Lol

Wow, just looked at this video. After 2 years Hiatus, Pamplona is in San Fermin Frenzy. Pilgrims might want to avoid Pamplona for a week.
Surely they didnt release the bulls into that crowd?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Ingrid, for the original post.
I have been there and worn the tee shirt, long before I walked a camino. I even worked in a sweetie shop throughout the night. Let me draw a veil over a lot of it, but yes, there is a special atmosphere. I have nothing to add to opinions on the rights or wrongs, I just say, to pilgrims: it is not a place to linger in diring the celebrations. It is not easy to find accommodation during these days, so I echo your final word, Ingrid.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Out of interest, what's actually going on in that video? Just seems to be a hell of a crowd standing around for an hour.:confused:

Out of interest, what's actually going on in that video? Just seems to be a hell of a crowd standing around for an hour.:confused:
Perhaps you missed them singing and dancing? Bands playing. Being a small part of something very large.

It is a bit like riding my motorcycle. I have heaps of fun riding alone but when I ride with a group everything lifts to a whole new level.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Basically, the opening ceremony. I attach a link to a website offering rented space on a balcony. I have no interest whatsoever in the website but it gives anecdotal stories of some people who take up the opportunity.
There are other events of course, for example, a friend was planning to go to a choral event with friends and family. And as I wrote somewhere else, each evening there are fireworks in the park behind the bus station. When that ends, once again, a sea of red and white as everyone walks home...
With care, and friends from Pamplona, it can be a very happy local experience.
All that being said, I will miss it this year. Not sorry!
And if you watched that video for an hour, fair play! 🤣

@kirkie, who knows a lot more about Pamplona and its people than I do has already said that it is the opening ceremony of San Fermin. We international audience tend to focus on the bulls but I get the impression that that’s just one of many shows / events of San Fermin, and perhaps for many of those who celebrate not even something of great interest to them.

I’m always fascinated by these contemporary festivals as they have a common origin: a major fair for goods and cattle etc in the Middle Ages in combination with the commemoration of the death of a local Christian martyr. I grew up near a town with such a major summer festival (though not on the scale of San Fermin) and during my childhood and teenage years I did not even know why the festival was named after a Saint. 😇

Here's our nod to San Fermin. We are at a cafe/bar across from the bus station mentioned by Kirkie. Looks like every college kid in the world at the bus station today in the traditional red and white. Met a guy from Alabama crossing the street. Having a coffee and a bite as we wait for our 11 am bus.

20220708_091551.jpg20220708_091545.jpg

Loud folk music playing. Lots of energy here!!!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Prompted by @Kather1na's post above, I thought of Pattern Days in Ireland. I am not Irish by birth, but yes, by recent naturalisation, great grandparents who were run out of Ireland in famine times, to Scotland where I was born.
(I will die a Scot in my heart, by the way! )
I attach a link to the first site I found when I looked up Pattern Days. The intention is not political or religious, just expanding on the question of traditions.
It is my guess that every country, village and town has customs, and traditions.
It is truly educational to belong to this forum. Thank you, @Kather1na, for your guidance at this level.

Pattern Days in Ireland
Love it! I had never heard about this before.

The saint that I mentioned earlier is Saint Kilian btw. Born in Ireland but died far away from home, one of the Irish wandering bishops and missionaries in Continental Europe. He lived in the 7th century. In what do I read in Wikipedia today:

Kilian is [also] the patron saint of the parish of Tuosist, near Kenmare in County Kerry, where he is believed to have resided before travelling to Germany. A church and holy well are named after him and his feast day, July 8 [ today! ] is traditionally celebrated with a pattern when crowds visit the well for prayers, followed by evening social events.

Saint Fermin, btw, is said to have lived much earlier. Born in Pamplona in Spain, he is said to have been ordained as a priest in Toulouse and his missionary work lead him eventually to Amiens which is far away in the north of France and where he is said to have died.

There‘s quite a bit more to San Fermin than a 3 minute bull race and a lot of alcohol consumption. :cool:

Met a couple of Americans on the bus to San Sebastian who ran with the bulls onThursday and then watched from a balcony today. Said she got a cancellation on an AirBnB at a good rate. Also a British man waiting for the same bus said he ran both yesterday and today (and he was not a young man!)

Met a couple of Americans on the bus to San Sebastian who ran with the bulls onThursday and then watched from a balcony today. Said she got a cancellation on an AirBnB at a good rate. Also a British man waiting for the same bus said he ran both yesterday and today (and he was not a young man!)
And frankly, is that even worth mentioning?

For the first time ever I watched a video of the encierro - and not just a particular “dramatic” very short clip. Lots of people appear to just run a few meters to the side or along the side or get out of the way of the herd as quickly as they can. I don’t want to start a discussion and know that this topic is related to the very controversial topic. But perhaps it is time to say more often: “So what“ and “It’s plain silly” instead of glorifying it as something heroic or the ultimate adrenaline kick or whatever.

i find it also silly to travel far to participate in a local tradition that isn‘t your tradition when you are a one day visitor who went there just for this occasion.

And frankly, is that even worth mentioning?

For the first time ever I watched a video of the encierro - and not just a particular “dramatic” very short clip. Lots of people appear to just run a few meters to the side or along the side or get out of the way of the herd as quickly as they can. I don’t want to start a discussion and know that this topic is related to the very controversial topic. But perhaps it is time to say more often: “So what“ and “It’s plain silly” instead of glorifying it as something heroic or the ultimate adrenaline kick or whatever.

i find it also silly to travel far to participate in a local tradition that isn‘t your tradition when you are a one day visitor who went there just for this occasion.
Certainly we would not do it, but we have traveled to Spain several times for an originally Catholic pilgrimage when we are not Catholic and people often ask us why.

It was interesting to see all the families out enjoying the festival with all ages, from babies to grandparents having coffee and treats in their red and white outfits in the two hour segment we spent in Pamplona this morning.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Regardless, as this all takes place in Pamplona and as Pamplona is in the Camino Francés, it is worth letting pilgrims know what to expect so they can join in or avoid it, as they wish.
Sure, why not: The encierro or run with the bulls takes place every morning at 8 am from 7 July to 14 July, it lasts about 3 minutes from start to finish, the distance is less than 1 km, the streets where it takes places are closed off, and there are plenty of opportunities for pilgrims to walk through the other streets to the right or left should they feel the need to be in this place at this time.

Should they aim to watch it, the best advise is probably to suss it out when they are there. Locals, local newspapers, local TV would be my channels of information. The local newspapers in particular will also have info about the whole cultural / religious program, food, in which barrio to look for it, and so on and so on. I recommend the same sources of information for the Logroño wine and harvest festival later this year in September. San Mateo (Saint Matthew’s) is the name.

Last edited:
I remembered that several years ago, a forum member posted a link to the national TV station, which televises the runs. I found it and saw that the link is still good. I think everyone knows what the video will show, so many will not want to click on the link. I also know everyone is aware of the rules and what we can’t discuss, but if you are interested in seeing the craziness from a safe vantage spot, here is the link.

I remembered that several years ago, a forum member posted a link to the national TV station, which televises the runs. I found it and saw that the link is still good. I think everyone knows what the video will show, so many will not want to click on the link. I also know everyone is aware of the rules and what we can’t discuss, but if you are interested in seeing the craziness from a safe vantage spot, here is the link.
Thanks for the link.

I attended this yesterday and today and have to say what an incredible event it is. Of course back in the Covid days of 2020 and 2021 it’s didn’t happen. The ‘bulls’ part only last about about three mins and there are all sort of cultural events all day and an incredible fireworks display in the evening. It’s crowded, hot, sweaty, people drink and dance..well until they can drink and dance no more! I was first in Pamplona in Feb 2020 just before Covid, and then again in Aug 2020 on a Camino during Covid. There was sadness at the time so it’s wonderful to see hundreds of thousands of people party through the night post all that!

I watched the run yesterday and participated today which was exhilarating. Few ‘fallers’ and minor injuries near me but hopefully no more than that !

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.