• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sandals vs Closed Shoe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Personally . . .I never saw one peregrino on the trail with sandals which should tell you a lot. Walking around town yes, trail no.

I see people backpacking with sandals because of blisters. So it does work. You just have to be more careful about not stubbing your toe and picking up gravel.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Keen Sandals have some models that have the toe box covered in mesh to prevent stones etc getting in, something like this http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/women/newport-h2 I know quite a few fellow pilgrims that love them and use Keen Sandals as their main hiking shoe.
Buen Camino, SY

I started out with boots, but they have proved too small for my feet when they are swollen from around the 15km mark and resulted in a lot of pain and some inflamed blisters. I actually cut off the toe section of my boot (following the example of my peregramigo Henrik) and have been largely pain free. I have twice, in the past 5 days since cutting off the toes, had a small pebble enter the shoe. I did the outlandish thing of stopping, and removing the offensive material... I therefore think I would walk the camino in sandals were i to do it again (or maybe crocs, since fashion sense thankfully doesn't need to exist on the camino). Or cut yourself a pair of 'boondals' like me, and get the ankle support of a boot and the toe freedom of a sandal.

I think the importance of footwear fit (and break in) can’t be stressed enough. My observation has been that the number one malady forcing people off the Camino was foot problems.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I wore Salomon's for my first 2 camino but I bought some Teva sandals and I've been training in them at home on pretty stoney trails which aren't that unlike the Camino Francis.

I have been so impressed with them so far and I certainly hope to wear them as much as I can on the Via... the Salomons will come too but I could see a 50/50 ratio happening... maybe?

I believe @Kanga walks in sandals--perhaps PM her?
My experience is that the lightness and breathability of sandals makes for far fewer blisters. But I can't share any experience of sandals on the Camino per s as I've been using a shoe (the Keen McKenzie) that is really the best of both worlds--a sandal with mesh. I've happily done the last 2 caminos in them, and no blisters.
[Sadly, this model has been discontinued, but if you're in Europe, this shoe can still be found online (@Giselleontour and I had some fun here about this...).
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/r-i-p-my-wonderful-shoes.40736/#post-422480
In the USA it also pays to check your local small walking shoe store--especially if you have a smaller than average foot--I found them locally in a women's size 7. ]

If you don't need super-wide sizes, there are other brands besides Keen that make 'water shoes' (basically sandals with mesh like the McKenzie above) that can double as perfectly good walking shoes--here's a random search:
https://www.rei.com/c/womens-water-shoes?r=c&ir=category:womens-water-shoes&page=1
They're worth checking out.

I walk in sandals with a covered toe. They are what fit. Fit is the most important factor.
Stopping to take a rogue pebble out is much quicker when you're wearing sandals than it was for the shoe and boot wearers I walked with!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walk in sandals wide like buckets with a toe covering. They're not the most fashonable especially as I alternate every 7 kms with socks. I've never had any blisters and sometimes walk through puddles or fords to cool the feet. I wore boots for the first 7kms on the Pyrenees but that was all they were left behind.

I walked the Camino Portuguese in only trail sandals. I much preferred them to boots, in which my feet got too hot and had lots of blisters. I got blisters with the sandals but between the toes and where the sandal rubbed against my foot...solved this with moleskin and/or band aids. Pebbles and such were easy to remove: stop, undo strap, let pebble fall out, redo strap, continue walking (vs boots: stop, sit, undo boot, take off boot, shake out boot, put boot back on, lace up boot, stand up, continue walking).
My sandals were Merrills; I continue to wear them. (Oh, they don't have a toe covering, like the Keens do. My boots were Keens and now I am hesitant to wear them as my toes kept hitting the toe covering/front of the boot.) :)

I walk in sandals wide like buckets with a toe covering. They're not the most fashonable especially as I alternate every 7 kms with socks. I've never had any blisters and sometimes walk through puddles or fords to cool the feet. I wore boots for the first 7kms on the Pyrenees but that was all they were left behind.

My walking buddy was constantly asked if we were German; I wore socks with my wide-mouthed Merrills as well. (SO comfortable!!!!) The funny thing is, he IS German (boots and socks for him) and I'm Canadian!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As someone who ONLY wears thongs or sandels I'd find enclosed foot wear hard going.

Yes I get grit and stuff in my feet but it's not hard to dislodge.

Last edited:
I alternated between closed-toe and sandals because of bad blister problems. My closed-toe sneakers didn't breath enough! I didn't get much debris in my sandals as I walked, but I ultimately replaced my sneakers with a good mesh pair and gave the sandals away.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.