• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Say No! to rubber tips on your poles.

I advocate no clicking, loud talking or raucous laughter through villages in the early mornings, but I wonder if the locals become immune to it all as with early morning birds, cows, dogs, etc. I have lived near a trainline & a main road, & it didn't take long for me to become oblivious to it most of the time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As we now know, this was a classic case of trolling the forum, but I suspected that was evident from close to the outset. Perhaps the moderators should have been prepared to apply Rule 13, which was an option, but perhaps not as clear an option at the start as is might appear in hindsight. I have already suggested that a joke that has to be explained so people see why it was humourous is generally not as funny as one might have first thought it was going to be.

I think the best that might be said is the the OP was trying to be funny, but that effort has proven to be a marvellous flop. It isn't the first time on the forum, nor do I suspect it will be that last.

As for using emojis to make humour more obvious, good luck with that!

I can see how it may be seen as 'trolling', i guess only the OP knows his true intent. I'll be more generous and see it as simply a humorous post that was not easily seen to be such.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A rubber tip, as far as I am concerned, is a shock-absorber. On certain trail surface, I would take off the rubber tip or replaced it with mud baskets, snow baskets, shock-absorbing paws, etc. appropriate to the situation.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Switch blade tips. These may not be legal in California or the UK (just joking. . )

Switch blades are illegal in California per PC 21510.
Tongue-in-cheek or not, this has been a fun and interesting post.
I especially like the "switch blade" poles!
I haven't laughed this much with a post for some time.
Good to have you back, Dave!

I second that emotion; it’s good to have Dave back bugging we all.

No Forum rules are being violated by this post. No hateful speech, angry rhetoric, or even noodle recipes are offered. DO what makes you happy, as long as it does not put a frown on the rest of us.

Glad I got that in before the thread is closed…

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am not certain whether Bombay Bill's post was truly facetious or whether he is now attempting to claim it was tongue in cheek when he got so many unfavorable responses but I'm struck that amongst all the responses defending their appropriate uses, no-one mentioned that often as we walk our camino we frequently stop to visit centuries old historic churches, the floors of which do not benefit from the attack of hundreds to thousands of mini carbide tipped chisels every day.
Re: wearing through the rubber tips I've found that placing a small metal disk or cup in the bottom of the rubber tip prolongs their useful life significantly.

I am of the opposition opinion. I use walking poles every day and mostly I never take the rubber tips off. Good rubber tips provide more than enough traction day to day walking. On the Camino Frances, i never needed my rock/ice tips, I do in Canada in winter, but I never needed them on the Camino. There was never a spot where my rubber tips were grippy enough. Also the metal tips sometimes get wedged into small crevaces and that's a pain when one is hiking. My advice as a walking pole user is to get good rubber tips, the red ones from decathalon are great and they go on sale frequently.

no-one mentioned that often as we walk our camino we frequently stop to visit centuries old historic churches
When visiting a church, please leave your poles (and cap or hat) at the entrance:
- you will thus respect the building
- you will show people that a pilgrim is there, in the church, visiting or even... praying ! ;-)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think the moderator should close this thread as it seems you are unwilling to be open to varying options , many based on experience.
It is clear that one cannot rationalise with irrational people.

May I politely remind you this forum is just that: an opportunity to discuss, explore and learn from others. It’s not the place for dictates. In my humble opinion, there tends to be room for alternatives.

Enjoy your day my friend.

Say no to the rubber tips you can add to your poles. Here’s my argument.
What is the number 1 purpose of your poles? It’s to keep you from falling and suffering an ignominious end to your Camino because of a torn knee, twisted ankle or wrenched back.
What’s the purpose of the rubber tips? Only to salve the sensitivities of the aurally woke. Instead think of the clicking as a Proustian Madeleine, something to warm future memories.
Adding the rubber negates the purpose of the hard tip. It will no longer grab on dewy grass, moldy leaves or muddy descents. The pole is now useless, an affectation not a serious hiker’s tool.

I will entertain no argument that you can take the tips off and on. Sure for the first 2 days and then you’ll stop. Or you won’t bother just for 10m of nastiness. It’s like saying you’re going to limit yourself to 1 drink at communal dinner. Ain’t going to happen.

I ask now that the moderators close this thread because all contra arguments will violate Rule 112b (section C).

Yours,
Bombay Bill, on his 2nd glass, upright and injury free in El Pito on the Norte.
😃 😹 🍷
The clue is in the name . . . 'Street feet'
Put 'em on when on streets, take 'em off when you're not
It's really not difficult . . . 😉🙃

What is the number 1 purpose of your poles? It’s to keep you from falling and suffering an ignominious end to your Camino because of a torn knee, twisted ankle or wrenched back.
What’s the purpose of the rubber tips? Only to salve the sensitivities of the aurally woke. Instead think of the clicking as a Proustian Madeleine, something to warm future memories.
Adding the rubber negates the purpose of the hard tip. It will no longer grab on dewy grass, moldy leaves or muddy descents. The pole is now useless, an affectation not a serious hiker’s tool.

I will entertain no argument that you can take the tips off and on. Sure for the first 2 days and then you’ll stop. Or you won’t bother just for 10m of nastiness. It’s like saying you’re going to limit yourself to 1 drink at communal dinner. Ain’t going to happen.

I ask now that the moderators close this thread because all contra arguments will violate Rule 112b (section C).

Yours,
😃 😹 🍷
The rubber tip does help in one instance: walking on paved roads - particularly wet paved roads. The rubber grips the road better much better than the metal tip. But, yes, I put the rubber tips on once for a rain. When I took them off, I never put them back on again. It's easier just to walk on the side of the road.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Baby, you and I
are not the same.
Ya say ya like the sun,
I like the rain.
And now before we go an'
do it all again...

Ya better catch yer own train walk yer own Camino.

I love this thread, haha.

On my first Camino I walked without the rubber ends because I had taken them off for backpacking trips in the Rockies and PNW. The click clack of the poles was a meditation to me. I really had no understanding for this polarizing view of the sound, though I can't see how the sounds of set of poles are worse than a dog's bark, or laughter of people, or a car driving by, or a bird chirping, someone snoring in the alburge (lol) sounds are just sounds- it's we who attribute judgement.

Actually rubber tips are much better on concrete, slippery tile (like in parts of Portugal) and cobble stones. I wouldn't walk the Camino without them and that is without ever considering how loud the alternative is. But you do you.
I agree- I kept them in a pouch around my waist so it was no trouble to put them on/ take them off. I finished the Norte in May and used my poles everyday!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I took the OP to be a joke and am surprised that some took it seriously. Humour is a very subjective thing however.
I’m surprised how quickly a debatable obscure technical point turned into personal attacks (especially by some of the established voices) on a forum where tolerance is frequently espoused but not always practiced.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m surprised how quickly a debatable obscure technical point turned into personal attacks (especially by some of the established voices)
I have just quickly reviewed the thread, and I don't see much in the way of "personal attacks." Sure, there was strong disagreement with the assertions in the original post, and there were a couple of posts (maybe 2 or 3 out of 121 posts) that were somewhat negative in a personal way, but given the tongue-in-cheek nature of the OP I don't see that they were out-of-line or surprising.

Yours,
😃 😹 🍷
The number one purpose of a trekking pole is to provide an opportunity for your upper body to participate in the work of walking/hiking. Safety is a side benefit. Now I am in agreement with you that the best practice is to hike without the rubber tips. But this only applies to outside of the city. A thoughtful walker will take the tips on and off as they go in and out of a city, this is especially important when leaving a town in the early morning. What you may consider a Proustian Madeleine, might be the death of a thousand clicks by locals who have to endure the clacky clack each morning of inconsiderate walkers.

Tracking poles might help with stability.
( Just check the surface you are walking on, carpet, floor boards or tiles.)

I have a severe balance problem which has been diagnosed as incurable Have been in hospital 3 times since Xmas.. I constantly check my poles to see if ends are compatible with current situation.

Buen Camino.

Samarkand.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Yours,
😃 😹 🍷
Some of us have excellent focus and are happy to do the on/off adjustment with tips depending on the surface. Asphalt, marble and concrete can be slippery with tips, so put your rubbers on!
Another salient point about poles, when used correctly, they engage the upper body, increasing strength and range. I tend to fly with my poles in the outstretched reach or double row push ascending hills. Some of us with a damaged knee are ever grateful for the pole's ability to lessen the downhill impact on that joint. I have thousands of k worth of testimony supporting my beloved poles...And I always change my tips. A lovely exercise in mindfulness.

I know i will get beat up for this comment, but I find the constant click, click, click, click, click, click, click, more than just annoying. I will discreetly adjust my pace so as not walk with someone without rubber tips.

Jim Michie

Last edited:
The number one purpose of a trekking pole is to provide an opportunity for your upper body to participate in the work of walking/hiking. Safety is a side benefit.
For you perhaps. Different people may use them to different purposes. For some, the primary purpose may be to help with balance and stability. For me, when I purchased my first step, it certainly wasn't to get an upper body workout but to reduce strain on my knees.

You might as well say the number one purpose of a buff is to shade the neck and any use as a head covering is a side benefit.

The purpose of any tool is not external to why the user uses it.

It would be a nice gesture to carry your poles as you make your way through a sleeping village at 6 o’clock in the morning, and yes, I have heard that the only function of the rubber tip is to prevent the metal tip ripping your backpack.

It would be a nice gesture to carry your poles as you make your way through a sleeping village at 6 o’clock in the morning, and yes, I have heard that the only function of the rubber tip is to prevent the metal tip ripping your backpack.
I often wonder whether we overstate the disruption we might cause to locals with early morning starts and tapping poles. I lived in Coimbra for nearly three months this year. The unit was perhaps 50 m from the nearest bar that closed at 2:00 am, and above the street that carried walking tourist traffic during the day, and students, etc returning from the lower part of town throughout the night. It was possible to almost completely block out the noise from these things with the windows and shutters. If we wanted to enjoy the sounds of the local night life, we could, but we didn't need to.

My thoughts on this now is that those of us who normally live in less dense urban environments are perhaps more sensitive to the noise we and our fellow pilgrims might be making, both with early morning departures and during the day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This reminds of of a clickity clacking perigino I wrote a short story about:

It is a pleasant day strolling along country lanes with hardly a person in sight. In fact, on this camino there are so few fellow peregrinos I usually never see another one while walking, only catching up with a few each evening at the albergue.

But this afternoon I hear the clickity clack of walking sticks on the bitumen and soon another peregrino catches up with me. With a pleasant ¨Buen Camino¨ he passes and continues on his way clickity clacking along the very narrow road with its high stone fences.

After a while he disappears out of sight around a bend ahead and I am alone on the road apart from a German bloke some 100 metres behind me.

Then, suddenly, the peregrino reappears and he is coming straight at me at a rapid rate of knots with his walking sticks also clickity clacking at a great rate of knots.

I rapidly conclude that he has either had something drop of his backpack or realised he left something behind in the albergue where he slept last night and is now hurrying back to retrieve it.

But I am wrong on both counts as soon becomes evident when a tractor roars around the bend chasing the pilgrim.

There is just no space on the road as the tractor fills up every bit of the asphalt between the stone fences and the poor pilgrim has had to turn around and go hell for leather to get away from this behometh and save himself from being squished flat on the bitumen like an ant.

I chuckle to myself as I watch the peregrino head towards me with the tractor up his tail. There is nowhere for him to go as he is closed in by the fences on each side.

It is the funniest thing I have seen since I started the camino.

Then it slowly dawns on me that, uh oh, I am on the same road and the pilgrim, still clickity clacking rapidly, and tractor are coming at me. Therefore I am in the same predicament.

My laughing quickly stops as I also do not want to become roadkill. I look around. No escape anywhere.

Rather than turning around I keep on walking desperately looking for a bolt hole. Then I spot a piece of the fence that has broken away. Quickly clambouring up, I stand on top of the fence and watch as the peregrino continues to be chased by the tractor. Now that I am safe I again find the situation quite amusing and reach for my camera and take a quick snap as the tractor chases the clickity clacking pilgrim.

Just as it catches him the pilgrim reaches a little clearing in the roadside and jumps into it as the tractor roars past.

Soon the tractor gets to where I am standing safely on the fence. With a huge grin and a wave to me the driver passes on and I again look along the road.

The other peregrino has reappeared, turned around and is once more clickity clacking towards Santiago. I never see him again but often wonder what he thought.

That night, as I tell my story and show the photo around the dinner table, there is considerable merriment among fellow pilgrims. Some laughing at me as much as at the other peregrino.
This is an absolutely hysterical story

Yours,
😃 😹 🍷
⚠️ Warning. If you are new to hiking, please know that a rubber tip on rocky steep declines can prevent injuries. I bring extras with me on long caminos. I want to finish, and I am sure you do as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Yours,
😃 😹 🍷
Oh for Heaven sake. You can put them on and off depending on walking conditions.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rubber tips never last me much more than a day before the tips are poking through the bottom of the rubber. I gave up on them years ago. Now, when walking through a town, I just pick my poles up and carry them as I appreciate how annoying the sound might be for local residents especially early in the morning. I don't really need them on the pavements anyway, they're most useful when going up or down hills and over rough terrain.

So, You're the noisy One!
Now, just need to find the person with the pre-dawn crinkly shopping bags.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Rubber tips never last me much more than a day before the tips are poking through the bottom of the rubber. I gave up on them years ago.
I had a similar problem until I realised that the cheap and cheerful pole tips that I had been buying did not have a metal washer spreading the load on the rubber. Once I started purchasing reasonable quality tips, they started to last much longer. In the past I have found the tips from Black Diamond amongst the best, and recently I bought a couple of pairs of tips from Decathalon that seem to be wearing well.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.