• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Say No! to rubber tips on your poles.

BombayBill

Still Learning
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
Say no to the rubber tips you can add to your poles. Here’s my argument.
What is the number 1 purpose of your poles? It’s to keep you from falling and suffering an ignominious end to your Camino because of a torn knee, twisted ankle or wrenched back.
What’s the purpose of the rubber tips? Only to salve the sensitivities of the aurally woke. Instead think of the clicking as a Proustian Madeleine, something to warm future memories.
Adding the rubber negates the purpose of the hard tip. It will no longer grab on dewy grass, moldy leaves or muddy descents. The pole is now useless, an affectation not a serious hiker’s tool.

I will entertain no argument that you can take the tips off and on. Sure for the first 2 days and then you’ll stop. Or you won’t bother just for 10m of nastiness. It’s like saying you’re going to limit yourself to 1 drink at communal dinner. Ain’t going to happen.

I ask now that the moderators close this thread because all contra arguments will violate Rule 112b (section C).

Yours,
Bombay Bill, on his 2nd glass, upright and injury free in El Pito on the Norte.
😃 😹 🍷

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I understand that rubber tips should be removed put on when walking on asphalt, but removed put on again when walking on soft ground.
I will try to put a madeleine instead, but I doubt it will survive more than 5 meters.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
What is the number 1 purpose of your poles? It’s to keep you from falling and suffering an ignominious end to your Camino because of a torn knee, twisted ankle or wrenched back.
What’s the purpose of the rubber tips? Only to salve the sensitivities of the aurally woke. Instead think of the clicking as a Proustian Madeleine, something to warm future memories.
Adding the rubber negates the purpose of the hard tip. It will no longer grab on dewy grass, moldy leaves or muddy descents. The pole is now useless, an affectation not a serious hiker’s tool.

I will entertain no argument that you can take the tips off and on. Sure for the first 2 days and then you’ll stop. Or you won’t bother just for 10m of nastiness. It’s like saying you’re going to limit yourself to 1 drink at communal dinner. Ain’t going to happen.

I ask now that the moderators close this thread because all contra arguments will violate Rule 112b (section C).

Yours,
Actually rubber tips are much better on concrete, slippery tile (like in parts of Portugal) and cobble stones. I wouldn't walk the Camino without them and that is without ever considering how loud the alternative is. But you do you.

Actually rubber tips are much better on concrete, slippery tile (like in parts of Portugal) and cobble stones. I wouldn't walk the Camino without them and that is without ever considering how loud the alternative is. But you do you.
@Mormon,

I don't see any need to take this post seriously, nor do I think that @BombayBill has done anything to enhance his reputation writing this in his cups.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I understand that rubber tips should be removed when walking on asphalt, but put on again when walking on soft ground.
I will try to put a madeleine instead, but I doubt it will survive more than 5 meters.
You have this backwards. And if you need the pole for stability in town, perhaps because of an injury, the rubber tip is a wonderful thing.

Yours,
I would contend that the use of rubber tips should depend on the terrain. If you're walking mainly on packed earth, pavement, boardwalks, then rubber tips are best. It's not a "sound" issue. It's a traction issue. Metal tips are only useful if you're walking on something penetrable like non-packed earth, or snow.
-Bean

As I lay in my bed at this moment in the lovely little village of Rabé de los Calzadas, awakened at 5 am by the click clacking of metal tips passing by my window, I think of all the local people who have to listen to this for months at a time in the wee hours of the morning. I doubt they think of themselves as “aurally woke”, just rudely woke :)

Yours,
@BombayBill, what an interesting and humorous thread, and I assume it was to start a bit of "tongue in cheek" fun. It looks like so far the tally is
BB-1, FM-13...we win and the thread is still up for now.😅

Yours,
I love the rubber tips. They give much better traction and save my sanity from that relentless taptaptapping without them.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Yours,

Respectfully, I disagree with what you are saying, and I believe you are wrong.

Putting on the rubber tips when walking on paved surfaces is a simple courtesy to anyone nearby who may object to the click-clack sound. In a small town or village, in the early morning hours, there are actually real people who are trying to sleep, or whatever. When a group of people are doing this it is truly annoying.

Personally, I find the click-clack sound jarring, and I am embarrassed when it is my poles that make the sound. That is why I always carry an extra set of rubber tips in a pocket.

While you are correct about the adverse effect on traction when using the rubber tips in muddy ground, this is a minor thing - quickly outdone by simply removing the rubber tips and pocketing them until they can next be used.

Try to remember that we are all guests in a foreign country. As such, we are not only bound to obey all local laws as though we were resident there. But, we are also bound to be extra courteous, as informal ambassadors of our respective nations. I always act in this context in avoid any behavior which might be interpreted as being rude by my Spanish, Portuguese or French hosts.

I respect your opinion - I just disagree with it.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
This reminds of of a clickity clacking perigino I wrote a short story about:

It is a pleasant day strolling along country lanes with hardly a person in sight. In fact, on this camino there are so few fellow peregrinos I usually never see another one while walking, only catching up with a few each evening at the albergue.

But this afternoon I hear the clickity clack of walking sticks on the bitumen and soon another peregrino catches up with me. With a pleasant ¨Buen Camino¨ he passes and continues on his way clickity clacking along the very narrow road with its high stone fences.

After a while he disappears out of sight around a bend ahead and I am alone on the road apart from a German bloke some 100 metres behind me.

Then, suddenly, the peregrino reappears and he is coming straight at me at a rapid rate of knots with his walking sticks also clickity clacking at a great rate of knots.

I rapidly conclude that he has either had something drop of his backpack or realised he left something behind in the albergue where he slept last night and is now hurrying back to retrieve it.

But I am wrong on both counts as soon becomes evident when a tractor roars around the bend chasing the pilgrim.

There is just no space on the road as the tractor fills up every bit of the asphalt between the stone fences and the poor pilgrim has had to turn around and go hell for leather to get away from this behometh and save himself from being squished flat on the bitumen like an ant.

I chuckle to myself as I watch the peregrino head towards me with the tractor up his tail. There is nowhere for him to go as he is closed in by the fences on each side.

It is the funniest thing I have seen since I started the camino.

Then it slowly dawns on me that, uh oh, I am on the same road and the pilgrim, still clickity clacking rapidly, and tractor are coming at me. Therefore I am in the same predicament.

My laughing quickly stops as I also do not want to become roadkill. I look around. No escape anywhere.

Rather than turning around I keep on walking desperately looking for a bolt hole. Then I spot a piece of the fence that has broken away. Quickly clambouring up, I stand on top of the fence and watch as the peregrino continues to be chased by the tractor. Now that I am safe I again find the situation quite amusing and reach for my camera and take a quick snap as the tractor chases the clickity clacking pilgrim.

Just as it catches him the pilgrim reaches a little clearing in the roadside and jumps into it as the tractor roars past.

Soon the tractor gets to where I am standing safely on the fence. With a huge grin and a wave to me the driver passes on and I again look along the road.

The other peregrino has reappeared, turned around and is once more clickity clacking towards Santiago. I never see him again but often wonder what he thought.

That night, as I tell my story and show the photo around the dinner table, there is considerable merriment among fellow pilgrims. Some laughing at me as much as at the other peregrino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's too bad cause I always take them off and on, now going on 14 years😉. The side pockets on my hip belt are perfect for exactly two tips😊. I do cover them with tissue paper so I don't dirty up the inside of the pocket.

I'm a PT/physiotherapist and the use of poles with and without tips are numerous. Case closed for me😜

I subscribe to the “different tips for different surfaces” line of thinking, and will offer a tip on how to handle the rubber tips as they go on and off the poles.

When not in use I like to carry the rubber tips in a front pocket where they are easy to find when you need them. Problem is you really don’t want to use bare hands to remove / install the rubber tips as there is a lot of animal dung on sections of the Camino. I also don’t want the dirty tips contaminating the insides of my pants pocket.

Solution: a small zip lock bag. To remove the rubber tips insert them one at a time into the bag, then grip the bagged tip and pull. Hands never touch the tip. Repeat for the second tip. The zipped bag goes into your pocket. To reinstall the tips. Open the bag, insert the metal tip into the bag and position one of the rubber tips onto the end of the pole and push. Again, bare hands never touch the tip. The zip up the empty bag and stuff it back in your pocket.

It takes a little practice to master this technique while walking, but it helps keep your hands and pockets clean and conserves your supply of hand sanitizer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Yours,
OMG…love inconsiderate pilgrims…

Let’s not consider the locals who have to listen to the constant clicking of poles by inconsiderate pilgrims walking through towns.

If you’re in rough terrain that necessitates removing a rubber foot, remove it. But replace it when you’re back on flat terrain. That’s what the feet are designed for (strangely).

Similarly for those who drag their poles, just take half a second to think of the locals who hear your noise Day in day out.

But hey each to their own self serving purpose.

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Yours,
You must have put a lot of thought into this stupid and pompous post. I even argue with the fact you say the main reason is to keep from falling.

You must have put a lot of thought into this stupid and pompous post. I even argue with the fact you say the main reason is to keep from falling.
Alas I have to use my poles to keep from falling as I have a severe balance problem left hand side which is incurable. It is this which has ruined my walking altogether.

Buen Camino

Samarkand.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Yours,
I would offer an alternative - because for me the purpose of the trekking poles is not just to prevent a fall but to take pressure off my 70 year old knees, especially the arthritic one. It is simple, with good sticks and good tips to simply put them on when on asphalt, concrete etc and take them off in nature. I can do it in 10 seconds without missing a step and the can go right into the pack pouch. That way you do not disturb our friends in small villages and you make the best Use of your sticks.

While I don't use poles, my wife does and benefits greatly from their use. In a few weeks we are off to walk the 'sister pilgrimage' the Kumano Kodo. We were surprised to read this....
"The Kumano Kodo is an ancient pilgrimage and you’ll see many signs along the way asking you to put caps on the ends of your trekking poles, so make sure you bring them with you and use them."
🤷

This is repeating what others have said.
1. If it was meant to be humorous I didn’t think so.
2. The sound that polls make on hard surfaces is annoying to many of us who are trying to walk with some semblance of peace. Walking in towns in the morning those polls can be very loud and as was previously said, we need to respect the country and the people that we are walking in.
3. I have walked seven Camino’s, number eight coming up in a few weeks I have walked seven different Caminos and over 7000 km and I have used poles with rubber tips on every imaginable Camino surface and I have never had a slip or a pole malfunction with my tips on. If this is a serious post. I have no idea where the original poster got his information

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Yours,
Bill, there are more than one type of tip design. I carry but seldom use poles, they aid me on downhills. I wish you good fortune and steadiness on your walk. Please pack your clicking poles when you pass me.

There are dozens of much more experienced pilgrims than me on the forum. I will offer that I live in Oregon and have hiked throughout the year for nearly all of my young (65 years) life. Here, in the land of hikers, we use rubber tips on all kinds of terrain including the Pacific Crest Trail. Why: they are mini shock absorbers, provide stability and balance. They keep the poles from slipping on rocks or wet areas and lower vibration on paved areas. They are quieter in populated areas and even on trails. They keep you from slipping on smooth rocks or wet areas. I only ever take my covers off my tips in snow, ice, scree, or deep mud. Otherwise, they stay on year around. On four Caminos, I personally never came across an occasion that I removed my tip covers. I have not walked in the winter months.

WARNING: If you walk on pavement or rocks or any hard surface, you are putting weight on a quarter inch tip of slick carbide. The chances of your pole slipping is enormously increased.

As a courtesy to our hosts, I always carry my poles through any village and town and past homes, especially in the early morning (even with tips on).

I prefer these types of tips (below) on the Camino, because they last longer. I bring an extra set along, but most hiking shops have them for cheap.

1695050917668.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Mormon,

I don't see any need to take this post seriously, nor do I think that @BombayBill has done anything to enhance his reputation writing this in his cups.
Spot on, Doug. BB may have an opinion, but it’s nothing more than that. It just shows both his inexperience and ignorance of how poles can / should be used in multiple walking environments.

Seems like a tongue-in-cheek post. Maybe join in the satire, or just smile and move on.
I think there are many new Peregrinos who have never walked before and who rely on this forum for information, experience and accuracy. All these misleading posts are not funny or trivial and are actually imo a disservice. Why post this stuff unless you also post a disclaimer that one is “joking”???

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Yours,
I will have to respectfully disagree based on my experience.

One point of disagreement is that the steel tip provides a better grip. It certainly does... on some surfaces. On other surfaces one is more likely to find in towns (e.g. paving stones) the steel point has no grip and just slides around while the rubber tip provides significantly better grip.

The other point of disagreement is that you won't take them on and off after the first few days. I found my experience the opposite on my last Camino, taking them on and off more often as the Camino progressed and I discovered what a difference it made matching the pole tip to the road surface.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I understand that rubber tips should be removed when walking on asphalt, but put on again when walking on soft ground.
I think you have it reversed, you use the rubber tips to protect the graphite tip on hard surfaces. And the rubber tips removed on softer terrains.
The metal tips can slide on concrete, stone or asphalt surfaces.

I carry 'Dudley' and 'DoRight' in my shorts pocket as I walk on natural surfaces. Once I reach pavement and concrete they come out of my pocket and are quickly slipped into place while I walk. No pause in my steps to do so. They are made of a compound that allows a better grip on rock hard surfaces where the bare prongs of the trekking pole tips cannot grip and will slip and clack away with useless utility.

No argument, just personal observation and preference. If the bare tips did a good job of gripping and not slipping, then I would not bother with Dudley or DoRight and let the trekking poles clackity-click away.

I think there are many new Peregrinos who have never walked before and who rely on this forum for information, experience and accuracy. All these misleading posts are not funny or trivial and are actually imo a disservice. Why post this stuff unless you also post a disclaimer that one is “joking”???
This forum has an aspect of a fun-loving, open discussion type forum. It is also what you say - a source of information for newbies like me. But to evolve the forum into a thing that is only a curated collection of facts based on qualified input would require things like heavy moderation, peer-review, and posting by invitation to achieve. It would make the forum not what it is right now.

€149,-
@BombayBill, what an interesting and humorous thread, and I assume it was to start a bit of "tongue in cheek" fun. It looks like so far the tally is
BB-1, FM-13...we win and the thread is still up for now.😅
Looks like it was too early in the season for a bit of fun. Maybe move the post out of Equipment over to Humour. Or is there an area for Grumpiness?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I understand that rubber tips should be removed put on when walking on asphalt, but removed put on again when walking on soft ground.
I am afraid I must oppose that view 🤓
On asphalt/tarmac, on granite and many other hard surfaces hard tips are the optimum. I am hiking for decades and the only times rubber really was the better choice was in cities with very slippery hard surfaces. Polished surfaces. Or Surfaces the hard tip would otherwise damage.

By the way, I used a rubber tip on my Camino Primitivo this year ... and the rubber was wearing out so quickly, that after half of the way the metal tip came through. Felt so much better after 🤣

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are dozens of much more experienced pilgrims than me on the forum. I will offer that I live in Oregon and have hiked throughout the year for nearly all of my young (65 years) life. Here, in the land of hikers, we use rubber tips on all kinds of terrain including the Pacific Crest Trail. Why: they are mini shock absorbers, provide stability and balance. They keep the poles from slipping on rocks or wet areas and lower vibration on paved areas. They are quieter in populated areas and even on trails. They keep you from slipping on smooth rocks or wet areas. I only ever take my covers off my tips in snow, ice, scree, or deep mud. Otherwise, they stay on year around. On four Caminos, I personally never came across an occasion that I removed my tip covers. I have not walked in the winter months.

WARNING: If you walk on pavement or rocks or any hard surface, you are putting weight on a quarter inch tip of slick carbide. The chances of your pole slipping is enormously increased.
I use these tips too, and they still wouldn't let them in the aircraft cabin.😅
Screenshot_20230918-145330~2.png

Last edited:

€60,-
By the way, I used a rubber tip on my Camino Primitivo this year ... and the rubber was wearing out so quickly, that after half of the way the metal tip came through. Felt so much better after 🤣
If you use the pole tips pictured in post #33 and #53 you won't have the metal busting through...they last through many caminos.

Say that one more time and I might start to recite my last decades of experience in rubber tips vs hard tips!

Consider this a serious threat!
Ok, I'll stop the joking, but I blame it on the OP...I don't want the humor as reason to have the thread closed. 🫢

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I hate people who are just dragging their poles along asphalt, with absolutely no effort or intention to use them... Reinforces my belief that some people are walking zombies...

Edit:

As Albert Einstein said: Two things are infinite:
The Universe and human stupidity, And I am still not sure about the Universe...

Last edited:
I hate people dragging their poles along asphalt, with absolutely no effort or intention to use them... Reinforces my belief that som people are walking zombies...

I think it is partly due to walkers feeling like they MUST have trekking poles as part of a camino chic thingy. Sorta like wearing shells or carrying Compeed.

Every time a trekking pole tip hits a cobble stone in a roman way, a legionnaire rolls in its grave, heh, heh!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Yours,
You never hd the carbide slip on porcelain tile sidewalks or get stuck in cracks in the asphalt? I take the tips on and off the whole way as necessary

When I said this near the start of the thread, I thought that it might cause members to think about whether a serious response was required to the OP. That quite obviously didn't work.
I now feel like I should offer a serious rebuttal of the original post.
There are, of course, other reasons. But after the second or third glass of post prandial wine, it might have been more a concern about how not to stumble too much returning to the dormitory, and having some Camino ending injury arriving suddenly on the floor of the albergue face first. I can forgive @BombayBill for overlooking the many other reasons in the cirumstances.
I agree. I immediately thought of the many pilgrims I have seen with poles that cost tens or even hundreds of dollars/euros/pounds walking with cheap rubber tips that have worn through and left the metal tip exposed to tap incessantly whether they have the rubber tips on or not. It seems that constant pole use has shortened their arms (or lengthened their pockets) to the point where they are unable to purchase replacement tips. I'm not sure whether woke is the right term. Perhaps broke would be more appropriate.
... and @BombayBill is right again. Putting on a rubber tip to increase traction on smooth surfaces, or to stop the metal tip digging into and making holes in gravel and natural tracks, is clearly mere affectation. You can solve this by making sure you give your pole a nice sharp push into these difficult surfaces like pavers and leave as much damage as possible to give anyone who follows a better chance at finding a good place for their pole tip when they come along.
I will entertain no argument that you can take the tips off and on. Sure for the first 2 days and then you’ll stop. Or you won’t bother just for 10m of nastiness. ... Ain’t going to happen.
I wondered whether this spoke more to @BombayBill's own lack of tenacity than anything else. Then I realised how boring it was to continually be digging into my pockets to find the rubber tips to walk through a village or town, and how much nicer life would be if I could blissfully ignore any disruption that I might be causing to both locals and other pilgrims.

So, @BombayBill, I apologise for being so disrespectful of your original post as to suggest it shouldn't be taken seriously. Clearly this was a mistake, and I should have taken greater heed of the underlying truth in what you were saying.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't have Leki poles, but if I were to give up my Pacer Poles I might buy Lekis with with "Smart Tips." Check out the video to see how they work.

Switch blade tips. These may not be legal in California or the UK (just joking. . )

Last edited:
I think it is partly due to walkers feeling like they MUST have trekking poles as part of a camino chic thingy. Sorta like wearing shells or carrying Compeed.
Might you share with us the definition of “a camino chic thingy”?

Poles? - useful tools for long distance walkers when used properly. Not at all chic, IMO.

Shells? - a meaningful symbol to most who display them

Compeed? - also useful when correctly applied.

Help me out here.

€149,-

Yours,
Lmao sorry I’m laughing but that is a really amusing post!!😂😂

Might you share with us the definition of “a camino chic thingy”?

Poles? - useful tools for long distance walkers when used properly. Not at all chic, IMO.

Shells? - a meaningful symbol to most who display them

Compeed? - also useful when correctly applied.

Help me out here.
Did you read the post that I replied to? When someone brings anything because they think it is the 'thing to do' without understanding its use, function and/or utility, then it is no more than a bauble to prove they are part of the 'in the know' camino walkers.

And yes, except for compeed - which there are far better products that function to do what compeed might do - I use each of those items I mentioned. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly with your response

All joking aside......... :rolleyes:

I take the rubber tips on and off numerous times per day without even breaking stride.
I keep them in my pockets.

The rubber tips, whilst they do reduce noise on paved surfaces, actually serve a more important purpose.
They stop the metal tips sliding on hard flat surfaces like concrete and large rocks.
That I think you will find it their main purpose.

When I transition to soft ground I just take them off, as the metal tips provide better traction.

Sure the poles provide stability and balance.
But their number one role for me is to reduce the load on my joints.
And that downward pressure I place on the poles, needs good traction!

So the tips come on and off as appropriate.

(you can also wear out the rubber tips fast if used on soft ground)

Nothing like a good debate over poles, packs and footwear! :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was perplexed last night about why my post caused such consternation. I assigned the task to a LLM Artificial Intelligence app and the results came in this morning. Its words not mine -

“ The phrase “aurally woke” is sometimes confused with “orally woke”. Not something many people like especially while napping.

Reminding people that you’re sipping wine on the Camino annoys people who are not.

Proustian references invokes unpleasant memories of French classes labouring under a difficult teacher.”

I applaud @Pafayac who hails from Paris and a good lycée. He was not troubled by Proust in the original and immediately engaged with my post in the spirit with which it was meant. A brilliant riposte Monsieur, bien fait.

@Pafayac

I will try to put a madeleine instead, but I doubt it will survive more than 5 meters.”
🍷 🍷 😃

Last edited:
I was perplexed last night about why my post caused such consternation. I assigned the task to a LLM Artificial Intelligence app and the results came in this morning. Its words not mine -

“ The phrase “aurally woke” is sometimes confused with “orally woke”. Not something many people like especially while napping.

Reminding people that you’re sipping wine on the Camino annoys people who are not.

Proustian references invokes unpleasant memories of French classes labouring under a difficult teacher.”

I applaud @Pafayac who hails from Paris and a good lycée. He was not troubled by Proust in the original and immediately engaged with my post in the spirit with which it was meant. A brilliant riposte Monsieur, bien fait.

@Pafayac

I will try to put a madeleine instead, but I doubt it will survive more than 5 meters.”
I tend to think that if I have to explain why something that I wrote was funny, it wasn't. That sometimes helps remove the temptation to explain, and digging myself deeper in the hole of appearing to be a humourless git.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
GET OFF MY LAWN, DAMNIT!!!!!
@davebugg, I owe you an apology. I checked with one of our esteemed moderators and apparently the no capitalization of words is not actually part of the forum rules, but occasionally a moderator will give an admonishment to a member who has used them in an angry manner.

I checked with one of our esteemed moderators and apparently the no capitalization of words is not actually part of the forum rules,
Putting more than a word or 2 or 3 in all caps or in bold is generally frowned upon since it is like shouting, and moderators will often remove it. However, we use some discretion to allow appropriate emphasis.

@davebugg, I owe you an apology. I checked with one of our esteemed moderators and apparently the no capitalization of words is not actually part of the forum rules, but occasionally a moderator will give an admonishment to a member who has used them in an angry manner.
No worries. . no apology needed at all :)

Yours,
😃 😹 🍷
It is obvious that you don’t want anyone disagreeing with you by asking the moderator to close the thread.
But I totally disagree with you! It takes only seconds to remove/replace the rubber feet to trekking poles, as I have done for years.
Do carry on click, clicking your way down the Camino, much to the annoyance of many pilgrims around you, I suspect!

It is obvious that you don’t want anyone disagreeing with you by asking the moderator to close the thread.
But I totally disagree with you! It takes only seconds to remove/replace the rubber feet to trekking poles, as I have done for years.
Do carry on click, clicking your way down the Camino, much to the annoyance of many pilgrims around you, I suspect!
The op was being humorous and joking around. The debate now seems to be how one should make humor recognizable so it is not mistaken for being meant serious. 🙂

The op was being humorous and joking around. The debate now seems to be how one should make humor recognizable so it is not mistaken for being meant serious. 🙂
As we now know, this was a classic case of trolling the forum, but I suspected that was evident from close to the outset. Perhaps the moderators should have been prepared to apply Rule 13, which was an option, but perhaps not as clear an option at the start as is might appear in hindsight. I have already suggested that a joke that has to be explained so people see why it was humourous is generally not as funny as one might have first thought it was going to be.

I think the best that might be said is the the OP was trying to be funny, but that effort has proven to be a marvellous flop. It isn't the first time on the forum, nor do I suspect it will be that last.

As for using emojis to make humour more obvious, good luck with that!

€149,-
It takes only seconds to remove/replace the rubber feet to trekking poles, as I have done for years.
This method you mention does not work for me. The pole tips I use (see my post #53) are actually hard to get on so maybe using a hammer would work better😅. Taking them on and off would not be worth the effort, not to mention the dirt they often hold. In addition, I am probably too lazy or tired to bother.

This method you mention does not work for me. The pole tips I use (see my post #53) are actually hard to get on so maybe using a hammer would work better😅. Taking them on and off would not be worth the effort, not to mention the dirt they often hold. In addition, I am probably too lazy or tired to bother.
That's interesting. I tried these some years ago, and had trouble keeping them on the ends of my poles. They were remarkably easy to remove, and often did so of their own volition. Perhaps the manufacturing tolerances mightn't be as tight as they could be, but after buying a couple of pairs and leaving three behind somewhere or other on my walks, I wasn't prepared to continue with them.

This method you mention does not work for me. The pole tips I use (see my post #53) are actually hard to get on so maybe using a hammer would work bette
Didn't work for me either. The rubber tips on my Pacer Poles hold on very tightly - in fact, I had to put them in a vise at home to pull them off!

I really can’t take this serious…can I? Here goes!

Rubber tips…where my poles go, they go. Your absolutely wrong! If on a path, and it’s wet, we take the time to take the tips off! And when we get to cement or pavement, we put them back on. We even have a designated zipper pocket and plastic zip lock for them so we can access them quickly. if they are dirty, they’re wiped! It isn’t a big deal.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.