• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quiet pole tips?

auburnfive

Veteran Member
I will be walking with a friend in a few weeks. I use walking poles every step of the way ( keeps my hands from swelling) and have Eddie Bauer collapsible poles I will take. The sound of the poles on pavement drives my friend crazy _ I have replacement tips, but any suggestions for a type that reduce the clicking sound would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will be walking with a friend in a few weeks. I use walking poles every step of the way ( keeps my hands from swelling) and have Eddie Bauer collapsible poles I will take. The sound of the poles on pavement drives my friend crazy _ I have replacement tips, but any suggestions for a type that reduce the clicking sound would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
take a look at your standard rubber feet and then a quick walk into the nearest hardware store and get a bigger size. Jam these over your standard ones and hey presto , problem solved. I have been doing this for years :)

Buen Camino

Samarkand.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I relate to your friend. It's really annoying.

My collapsible poles make noise whether I have tip or not - it's something in the mechanism. But tips definitely help.

One suggestion is to put a small metal washer over/around the point of the pole before you put the rubber tip on. That slows down the wear a lot. (Gracias to @t2andreo for that idea!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Decathlon sell red pole tips which are made of a slightly softer material than the regular hard plastic. I have found them pretty quiet to use.
Agree about the Decathlon tips being quieter than, for example, the Leki tips. I even had several people remark to me that my poles were so quiet.

The orange ones from Decathlon seem quieter. I only had them for the last third of our trip (Gijon to Santiago) but they seemed more durable than others we have used.

The tips that came with my Pacer Poles last for at least one long Camino, but I have to order them from Pacer Pole in England. While I was in Spain this year I picked up some of the red tips at Decathlon. I'm happy to hear that they are quiet and long lasting.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Measure the diameter of the tips of your hiking poles. The industry standard size is 12mm or about 1/2" inner diameter. Go to Amazon. Buy them.

FYI, Black Diamond brand tips are only 11 mm in diameter. Either buy Black Diamond branded rubber tips, OR use a couple of turns of 3/4 Gorilla tape on the end of your pole to allow the larger diameter (12mm tips to fit). This Gorilla, or duck tape trick is useful for any similar situation requiring you to "shim" extra space so pole tips will fit snugly.

I get them from Amazon by the bag, and bring extras to give away to people who are walking noisily around me. I hate the click-clack noise too. They are not expensive and are a great icebreaker with your fellow pilgrims.

I always have one or two extra in my pocket. This is because the "Mud God" demands the sacrifice of several pole tips on every Camino I make. It is one of Murphy's Laws - mud attracted rubber walking pole tips - period! Be prepared and always have backups.

I always have at least three on me at all times. But, I usually find that I need another one or two before a month-long Camino is over.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You can purchase for most poles rubber feet that are quiet & they save wear on the tips & ears. I especially love my poles for long downhills, because I can literally skip down dodging rocks & have fun at it.
Have a great Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This is what I have. Straight up & down, no angle. Sure on any surface. I bought my poles at REI & next to them was a package of these tips. Maybe I termed them wrong before, calling them feet. Rubber not plastic.

Attachments

• E03ABF9E-4F27-460C-B62D-976EA12886FD.jpeg
    E03ABF9E-4F27-460C-B62D-976EA12886FD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use champagne corks, just drill a hole for the pole tapered end to into. You get about 100 km or so out of a set of corks , so you need to drink a bottle of champagne every 50 km which is very nice in deed.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I use champagne corks, just drill a hole for the pole tapered end to into. You get about 100 km or so out of a set of corks , so you need to drink a bottle of champagne every 50 km which is very nice in deed.
I like your thinking.

Measure the diameter of the tips of your hiking poles. The industry standard size is 12mm or about 1/2" inner diameter. Got to Amazon. Buy them.

FYI, Black Diamond brand tips are only 11 mm in diameter. Either buy Black Diamond branded rubber tips, OR use a couple of turns of 3/4 Gorilla tape on the end of your pole to allow the larger diameter (12mm tips to fit). This Gorilla, or duck tape trick is useful for any similar situation requiring you to "shim" extra space so pole tips will fit snugly.

I get them from Amazon by the bag, and bring extras to give away to people who are walking noisily around me. I hate the click-clack noise too. They are not expensive and are a great icebreaker with your fellow pilgrims.

I always have one or two extra in my pocket. This is because the "Mud God" demands the sacrifice of several pole tips on every Camino I make. It is one of Murphy's Laws - mud attracted rubber walking pole tips - period! Be prepared and always have backups.

I always have at least three on me at all times. But, I usually find that I need another one or two before a month-long Camino is over.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thank you. I had black diamond poles and replaced tips just fell off. I tried to buy BD ones but they were out of stock. I didn’t think of duck tape. I have a different set now so hopefully I can get standard rubber tips.
For those irritated by the sound, just change your mind set and think of the sound as part of the soundscape/ music of the Camino. It is the staccato percussion beat of the walk that accompanies your journey.

My collapsible poles make noise whether I have tip or not - it's something in the mechanism. But tips definitely help.
One of my Z-poles developed a clicking noise and it was driving me crazy until I realised it was at the point where the pole was meeting the pop out button ( they have done a lot of kms and were obviously a bit loose). I solved the problem with a very fat and robust elastic band rolled into position between upper shaft and button. Bliss, peace.
And yes , I try to remember to take the tips off on approaching the mud ( this year there was a section on the Primitivo between Salas and Tineo that I dubbed ‘The day of 100 quagmires’ ) but I often forget and feed the mud gremlins . Yes, they are cheap enough at Decathlon to buy in half dozen lots and to share with the innocent.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Measure the diameter of the tips of your hiking poles. The industry standard size is 12mm or about 1/2" inner diameter. Got to Amazon. Buy them.

I am not sure whether there is such a thing as a 'standard'. I have several poles from different US and European manufacturers. The spikes are all truncated cones, with a starting diameter of 11mm increasing to 12mm or so. That includes my BD poles. I also have a selection of 'rubber' tips from BD, Forclaz and some others. I haven't been able to find a 12 mm bore diameter amongst them. Most are 11 mm in diameter, ensuring a good friction fit. The Forclaz tip is interesting, as the bore isn't smooth, but has a series of ridges around the inside. The lands have an internal diameter of 11mm, the grooves are 12mm.

Nonetheless, @t2andreo's suggestion to tape the end of the pole is an excellent one if the tips are not a good friction fit. I have also used this approach on the other 'standard' diameter spike used by BD and Komperdell and maybe others. BD Z poles and some Komperdell poles have a spike that starts at about 9 mm. For some time in Oz, it wasn't possible to get the BD or any other tips in this internal diameter, and I taped up the end of my wife's Z poles so she could use a 11 mm tip.

I find it rare these days to see tips that don't have an internal washer to prevent the spike pushing through, although I have seem some in the past. Clearly worth checking if you are going to buy cheap tips along the way. It is possible to recover the washer from a worn out tip with not too much effort and a sharp knife. Cut open the tip and it should be a relatively simple matter to extract the washer. Or buy better quality tips and carry them. They are not heavy!

One of my Z-poles developed a clicking noise and it was driving me crazy until I realised it was at the point where the pole was meeting the pop out button ( they have done a lot of kms and were obviously a bit loose). I solved the problem with a very fat and robust elastic band rolled into position between upper shaft and button. Bliss, peace.
There is an adjustment mechanism in the middle section of the poles that can shorten or lengthen the core running down the pole that would address this. It sounds like you would need to shorten the core until the button just activates with a gentle pull. It doesn't need to be too tight, but enough to keep the button in contact when the pole is extended. BD have the instruction sheet on line, with a more complete explanation about how to do this.

I am not sure whether there is such a thing as a 'standard'. I have several poles from different US and European manufacturers. The spikes are all truncated cones, with a starting diameter of 11mm increasing to 12mm or so. That includes my BD poles. I also have a selection of 'rubber' tips from BD, Forclaz and some others. I haven't been able to find a 12 mm bore diameter amongst them. Most are 11 mm in diameter, ensuring a good friction fit. The Forclaz tip is interesting, as the bore isn't smooth, but has a series of ridges around the inside. The lands have an internal diameter of 11mm, the grooves are 12mm.

Nonetheless, @t2andreo's suggestion to tape the end of the pole is an excellent one if the tips are not a good friction fit. I have also used this approach on the other 'standard' diameter spike used by BD and Komperdell and maybe others. BD Z poles and some Komperdell poles have a spike that starts at about 9 mm. For some time in Oz, it wasn't possible to get the BD or any other tips in this internal diameter, and I taped up the end of my wife's Z poles so she could use a 11 mm tip.

I find it rare these days to see tips that don't have an internal washer to prevent the spike pushing through, although I have seem some in the past. Clearly worth checking if you are going to buy cheap tips along the way. It is possible to recover the washer from a worn out tip with not too much effort and a sharp knife. Cut open the tip and it should be a relatively simple matter to extract the washer. Or buy better quality tips and carry them. They are not heavy!

There is an adjustment mechanism in the middle section of the poles that can shorten or lengthen the core running down the pole that would address this. It sounds like you would need to shorten the core until the button just activates with a gentle pull. It doesn't need to be too tight, but enough to keep the button in contact when the pole is extended. BD have the instruction sheet on line, with a more complete explanation about how to do this.
Thank you - I think I knew that once upon a time but forgot about it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A French friend used poles with silicone octopus-like tips. Very expensive, and they don't seem to sell the tips for other use (they should, they could make a small fortune). I was very envious, she was silent in all terrain including quiet village cobblestones.

TSL Carbone Tour Séries

The English version of the site...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The poles I bought at Decathlon when I arrived for my last Camino came with little feet like these. I automatically put them on so they looked like little feet pointing in the direction I was walking, mirroring my own feet. It was only several weeks into my Camino that I noticed they were actually marked with which should be the front end and I had then on backwards. The part of the plastic tip closest to the pole was supposed to be in front.

I DARE you to keep these fingers clean and un-clogged by debris as you walk along. Yes, the design looks intriguing.

But, I rather suspect they will act like a hand rake you might use on your knees while gardening - collecting all manner of things and detritus. Just be prepared for a lot of frustration.

Then there is the inevitable encounter with a 'cow pie." "Nuff said.

Sometimes, simple is best - the plain rubber tips.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Tip of what? The pole or the “foot”?
Tip of the rubber foot to the back, it hits the ground under an angle, you get more forward trust.
Try it out and feel what muscles are working. It's all individual...it's what work for you.
See that there is a metal ring inside so that your pole end doesn't go to deep and make a hole in your rubber foot after some time.

Tip of the rubber foot to the back, it hits the ground under an angle, you get more forward trust.
There's no magic here. A walking tip won't give you any more forward thrust compared to a regular conical tip. What it will do is keep a greater area of the tip in contact with the track surface for longer, and where a regular tip might tend to slip at higher angles at the end of the rearward movement, the walking tip won't do that so readily. This is great on concrete, asphalt and other hard surfaces, but in my experience makes little difference on soft soils and sandy tracks.

I use Pacemaker all terrain tips. They're perfect for the Camino because they work in all terrains and are quiet. https://www.pacemakerstix.com/collections/pole-accessories/products/asphalt-paws

Agree about the Decathlon tips being quieter than, for example, the Leki tips. I even had several people remark to me that my poles were so quiet.
I have used the rubber Leki tips for many years. Mine don’t make noise on the roads, unless the center bottom is worn underneath and the tip is beginning to make contact with the ground. Now, I stop at Casa Barbadelo (CF) and purchase a similar product for €1 each!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can buy rubber tips at REI and most likely any place that sells poles. They slip over the hard tips and work great. I use them whenever I walk on hard surfaces and there is no clicking sound.

But, I rather suspect they will act like a hand rake you might use on your knees while gardening - collecting all manner of things and detritus. Just be prepared for a lot of frustration.
(we're talking about: https://www.deporvillage.net/tsl-outdoor-crossover-pad-white-red )

My friend's tips don't seem to pick up anything, and mud, etc. rinse right off in a puddle.

Hundreds of thousands of silent impacts vs perhaps needing to rinse a tip once in a while? Seems like a good trade-off.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Are you sure what you are hearing is the clicking from the tips? If the tips are rubberized, and not worn through, is it possible the sound might be coming from the sticks themselves? I have a number of pair of leki poles. One pair are Leki titanium poles that are anti-shock. Each time my tip hits the ground, they do make a clicking sound …but the sound does not emanate from the tips but from the mechanism of the shock absorber.

Are you sure what you are hearing is the clicking from the tips? If the tips are rubberized, and not worn through, is it possible the sound might be coming from the sticks themselves? I have a number of pair of leki poles. One pair are Leki titanium poles that are anti-shock. Each time my tip hits the ground, they do make a clicking sound …but the sound does not emanate from the tips but from the mechanism of the shock absorber.
Even on poles without a shock absorber, the vibration of the shaft of the pole as the tip hits a solid surface will also contribute to the noise one hears.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am a 'reformed' pole user. I walked a couple of Camino's with my carbide tipped poles never imagining the mental anguish my constant clicking was causing others!
I bought some of the 'boot shaped' pole tips and like them alot. You do need to make the extra step of making sure they are orientated correctly as posted by others here.
Mine have proven very durable and I must have 1600 or more kilometers on them now. I tape them to my poles and they haven't moved or fallen off ever.
I leave them on all the time even though they aren't great off of hard surfaces, but I can't be bothered to fiddle with them during each day.

I ordered the rubber gripper tips for my hikes in southern Utah on the redrock trails. REI - a US company carry them I’m sure others do as well.

I ordered the rubber gripper tips for my hikes in southern Utah on the redrock trails. REI - a US company carry them I’m sure others do as well.
Do you have a brand name? When I enter "rubber gripper tips" into the REI search it comes back with several styles and brands.

I have poles from black diamond with rubber. I bought rubber tops and it worked perfect.

Ah - but you have to have a puddle.

I never seem to have one around when I want one.

But, to each their own. Good luck.

Hope this helps.

Tom
I swish the tips in the wet grass at the side of the path to take away mud before donning the rubbers , and vice versa cleaning the rubber tips in the grass before taking them off and putting them in my pocket..

My Leki rubbers have lasted since 2014 and show no sign of wear. Only put on when I enter a city or indoors...

Last edited:
I’ve just walked from St Jean to Puente Raina - rubber tips on the ENTIRE way. Faced rain, serious mud and decaying leaves on steep decline path I should not have taken. The poles and I did not slip once. Did they sink a bit in mud YES, did it make a difference not in the least. I plan to continue the same way to Muxia unless experience indicates to the contrary.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

The tips that came with my Pacer Poles last for at least one long Camino, but I have to order them from Pacer Pole in England. While I was in Spain this year I picked up some of the red tips at Decathlon. I'm happy to hear that they are quiet and long lasting.
Why do people insist on buying anything OTHER than Pacerpoles!👌😉🙂

There are several types of heavy duty pole tips on Amazon to choose from. I've used a couple of the styles and they all work well and last a very long time.

I will be walking with a friend in a few weeks. I use walking poles every step of the way ( keeps my hands from swelling)
eh, I would have suggested a wooden staff from the thread title, but now hmmmm ... if both hands need to be up and active, a single staff would not work.

Some people do walk with a couple of wooden hiking sticks, which you could try I guess ?

NOT rubbish pieces of trash wood that some people use, no idea why, but proper dried and tempered good ones, smooth and straight.

Sticks not staves might work for you ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why do people insist on buying anything OTHER than Pacerpoles!👌😉🙂
Who knows. Perhaps they understand that Pacerpoles have only one real advantage over other poles, while every other pole with a wrist strap has at least one significant advantage. Pretty much everything else is equal.

Even if that wasn't so, the distribution channels for Pacerpoles might have difficulty competing with poles sold through bricks and mortar retail outlets where you can touch and feel what you are buying.

Yes! Yay! (But, do they attach to other manufacturer's pole tips... ? I can't tell.)

Thank you!
I did buy these tips from Amazon, and they fit my Pacer Poles perfectly. They sell the pads (the colored octopus part) separately, so I assume that I can carry a few extra pairs and replace them as needed. They are very lightweight. I'm just a little nervous about taking the pads off.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did buy these tips from Amazon, and they fit my Pacer Poles perfectly. They sell the pads (the colored octopus part) separately, so I assume that I can carry a few extra pairs and replace them as needed. They are very lightweight. I'm just a little nervous about taking the pads off.
Update on the TSL tips/pads/feet.
I don't normally use my poles on day hikes in my area, but I've tried these out on a few hikes recently.

As far as grip on different terrain these are superior to the rubber tips that came with my Pacer Poles. The PP tips were great and very long lasting - I only needed one set per Camino. But the "tread" did wear down, even though the rubber never wore through. This caused them to slip a but. The multiple prongs on these really work so much better.

I did pick up a leaf or two on today's hike, and a little bit of mud, but nothing excessive.

I have just ordered a few sets of the colored replaceable pad part for my next Camino, since I don't know yet how long these will last.

Screenshot_20240119_140705_Firefox.jpg

Update on the TSL tips/pads/feet.

View attachment 162402

Thanks to you I also bought a couple pairs, and I used them for about 750km in September/October (Chemin du Puy on into Camino Frances to Pamplona), and I really liked them. I just brought the tips, in carry-on, and acquired poles in France and they fit just fine and never came off...

They're not *quite* as quiet as my friend's expensive swiss poles... the "fingers" on hers seem a little softer somehow... but they can be near-silent if you don't hammer them into pavement...

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.