• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Searching for "my" backpack

Embee12

Time of past OR future Camino
First time: Fall 2022
I’m walking in October, on the CF, starting in Leon. My first time! I’ve only backpacked once before, 25 years ago, for about 3 days, on the Kalalau Trail, and it was not good. (I was utterly unprepared – kind of like the woman in “Wild” at the start of her long hike – maybe worse?) This time, I’m preparing! (Yay, “older and wiser”!)

I thought I’d found my shoes – the famous Lone Peaks, but after a couple of months, I am having to revisit that because of the infamous zero drop which has begun to cause me a lot of different pains. Suffice to say, I have been religiously following all of the recent threads about those.

Meanwhile, I have not yet found “my” backpack. I’m aspiring toward a 36-40L. My one backpacking foray to REI left me with bubkus. They did measure my torso. As it was the recent sale, they were out of a lot of items and sizes. Both the women's Osprey Tempest and Gregory Jade were too big in the shoulders, even with the adjuster and the straps pulled all the way down; plus, when clasped across my chest, the shoulder straps rubbed on my inner arms.

The REI Trail 40 felt really comfortable, shoulders were right, straps gave room for my arm swing. I like that it’s fairly plain, and front zipping rather than top open. It belted around my waist, right across my belly-button, not at my hips, and wondered if that was okay because I thought it was so supposed to belt just above my hips – but there was no way of finagling that – just not enough strap – and I’m even short-waisted. I had them put in some weight.

I took a few steps, and – well, like I said, I’m a rube - but, my god, I had no idea 15 pounds felt that heavy! I felt like I was going to keel over as I took the 7 steps to the mirror, like I was walking on a boat on water. I don’t even know what part of my body was doing the carrying – my shoulders? My waist? My upper back? It was just wrong. It was the only one I tried with the weights, so I don't know if this was a one-off or if it was the lack of hip support and/or generally a poor fit (despite feeling comfortable sans 15 pounds) and/or because three 5-pound bags of rice in no way replicate what it feels like to have my stuff dispersed properly in the bag I will carry?

But I came away pretty discouraged, worried that I’m incapable of carrying a pack, which never dawned on me would be a problem. I’m 50’s, pretty active (but no athlete), don’t have significant physical problems (wear and tear, notwithstanding). I know I can send my bags ahead, and I don’t feel any stigma about that, but, really, I’d like to at least try to carry my pack for a second. FWIW: I looked at the REI 40 again online, and in the photos the belt does go around the waist, not the hips, on both the taller and shorter models (I’m 5/1), so I guess that's how it's supposed to be.

BTW: I also tried the Osprey Fairview, which I found extremely comfortable, but that’s a “travel pack,” kind of like a squat duffle you can carry on your back that does not have much of anything for storage or access or extra packing on the outside of the bag. Here’s a link, in case anyone wants to look at it, or has actually used it on the Camino, and can tell me that it could work: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/category/travel/travel-packs/.

I do know I have a lot more trial and error to do. I read the forum regularly, and see other people’s suggestions. Anyway, thanks for reading and any input/insight.

Edited to add: They did measure my torso.

TL;DR: 5’1 female searching for backpack that will not make me feel like I’m going to fall on my face. ;)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did they measure your torso? That will be important in selecting a pack. I am sure @davebugg will chime in here as a gear tester.

I found the "molded" hip belts that come with Rei and Osprey packs did not work well for me. This year since I have a travel CPAP and extra meds to carry, I purchased a Red Fox Sand Hill 45L to replace my old Columbia brand Camino pack. It has more room than I need, but after a good fitting and loaded with my Camino stuff, it weigh 11.5 lbs. and will work.

My husband has abandoned the Osprey packs this year. He has two, but one is too heavy and the other is too small. He also has a CPAP and medications to deal with. He has had them both for years and taken them both on various Camino. He is trying out two different packs right now. One is an Arctereryx from Rei and the other a Six Moon Designs Swift X. The Six Moons is winning the competition right now and he has loaded them both and tested them each twice on training walks. The Six Moons is more substantial and looks like it will be less likely to break or need a repair. Both have kind of a vest instead of straps which is more comfortable after a shoulder replacement 2 years ago.

Six Moons has also asked Phil to send photos of the pack fit so they can give feedback on adjustments. Good service for an online purchase I think.

When you buy something look at the return policy. A well fitting pack is second only to good footwear in my book. Try it out loaded and fitted properly for more than 7 steps in the store.

Yes, as J Willhaus has inferred, you definitely need to have that crucial torso measurement. I am 6 inches taller than you but my torso measurement is only just over 14 inches, so I require an extra small in most packs in order to get the torso measurement to fit comfortably.

Regarding your Lone Peaks, I'm sure others will weigh in, but I was just watching a blog last night and the blogger had added a heel cup to her Lone Peaks and they served her well. Here is the link if you care to have a look; the footwear section starts at about the 12:00 mark. (She also did a post-Camino gear review.)

Good luck with getting everything as right as you possibly can before your trek. Don't be discouraged, it can take time. A knowledgeable salesperson can be a great asset. Perhaps phoning some vendors and asking if they can set you up with their most experienced person might be beneficial.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m walking in October, on the CF, starting in Leon. My first time! I’ve only backpacked once before, 25 years ago, for about 3 days, on the Kalalau Trail, and it was not good. (I was utterly unprepared – kind of like the woman in “Wild” at the start of her long hike – maybe worse?) This time, I’m preparing! (Yay, “older and wiser”!)

I thought I’d found my shoes – the famous Lone Peaks, but after a couple of months, I am having to revisit that because of the infamous zero drop which has begun to cause me a lot of different pains. Suffice to say, I have been religiously following all of the recent threads about those.

Meanwhile, I have not yet found “my” backpack. I’m aspiring toward a 36-40L. My one backpacking foray to REI left me with bubkus. They did measure my torso. As it was the recent sale, they were out of a lot of items and sizes. Both the women's Osprey Tempest and Gregory Jade were too big in the shoulders, even with the adjuster and the straps pulled all the way down; plus, when clasped across my chest, the shoulder straps rubbed on my inner arms.

The REI Trail 40 felt really comfortable, shoulders were right, straps gave room for my arm swing. I like that it’s fairly plain, and front zipping rather than top open. It belted around my waist, right across my belly-button, not at my hips, and wondered if that was okay because I thought it was so supposed to belt just above my hips – but there was no way of finagling that – just not enough strap – and I’m even short-waisted. I had them put in some weight.

I took a few steps, and – well, like I said, I’m a rube - but, my god, I had no idea 15 pounds felt that heavy! I felt like I was going to keel over as I took the 7 steps to the mirror, like I was walking on a boat on water. I don’t even know what part of my body was doing the carrying – my shoulders? My waist? My upper back? It was just wrong. It was the only one I tried with the weights, so I don't know if this was a one-off or if it was the lack of hip support and/or generally a poor fit (despite feeling comfortable sans 15 pounds) and/or because three 5-pound bags of rice in no way replicate what it feels like to have my stuff dispersed properly in the bag I will carry?

But I came away pretty discouraged, worried that I’m incapable of carrying a pack, which never dawned on me would be a problem. I’m 50’s, pretty active (but no athlete), don’t have significant physical problems (wear and tear, notwithstanding). I know I can send my bags ahead, and I don’t feel any stigma about that, but, really, I’d like to at least try to carry my pack for a second. FWIW: I looked at the REI 40 again online, and in the photos the belt does go around the waist, not the hips, on both the taller and shorter models (I’m 5/1), so I guess that's how it's supposed to be.

BTW: I also tried the Osprey Fairview, which I found extremely comfortable, but that’s a “travel pack,” kind of like a squat duffle you can carry on your back that does not have much of anything for storage or access or extra packing on the outside of the bag. Here’s a link, in case anyone wants to look at it, or has actually used it on the Camino, and can tell me that it could work: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/category/travel/travel-packs/.

I do know I have a lot more trial and error to do. I read the forum regularly, and see other people’s suggestions. Anyway, thanks for reading and any input/insight.

TL;DR: 5’1 female searching for backpack that will not make me feel like I’m going to fall on my face. ;)
It really doesn’t seem as though you have had a pack offered which is fitting you correctly. With a well fitting hip-belt and a rucksack which has a decent internal frame it should be possible to get the vast majority of the weight on your pelvis. You might not want that much of it there all the time, but still there should be no doubt as to where the load is.

Also going from zero to 15lbs, plus the weight of the rucksack in one go might be too much for you. I assume you’re stepping up the distance if you’re doing some preparatory walks?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’m going to give you a real outside the box answer, but I believe it is true and will help you.

You say that you’re pretty active, but that can cover a lot of ground. How strong is your core? Do you do any weight training, yoga or calisthenics or a regular basis? Can you hold a plank for 60 seconds? Can you do 20 pushups? 50 squats? Don’t worry, I don’t want you to answer these questions here, and I am not saying you need those exact abilities to do the Camino. I am well aware that many people do the Camino with many levels of fitness. But I am saying that being strong will make it all a lot, lot easier.

Someone who has a good strong core and legs can walk around for a few minutes with 15 pounds on their back, even if it’s the worst fitting pack in the world. It sounds to me that the issue isn’t finding the right pack, but working on your strength will get you to your goal of walking the Camino with a pack.

Personally, I don’t believe that ‘the right pack‘ is a magical solution for you or for anyone. I have backpacked with a variety of packs since the 1970s, and some of those packs weren’t so comfortable. But they all did the job. We are fortunate that they are so much better now than they used to be, but probably there are a whole bunch of packs that would work for you. You have many months before your Camino. Work on getting in shape, then go shopping for a pack a month or so before your start date. I think you’ll find all of the packs and the 15 pounds to be much, much more comfortable.

Last edited:
I came away pretty discouraged, worried that I’m incapable of carrying a pack, which never dawned on me would be a problem.
If you are not used to carrying a backpack - of any sort, even with just a couple of pounds in it - maybe that is the problem.

I wear a backpack daily to go about my business, and I feel strange walking without it! (My old purses all sit in the closet collecting dust.)

On a daily basis, I do not wear my Camino backpack, because all of the straps and doodads are not necessary for a shopping trip, and even I have some shyness about marching to the grocery store in flagrant hiking gear. However, my back and my legs and my balance are all accustomed to carrying something on my back. I am 73 years old and don't think I have never done a plank in my life. I may have done a sit-up or two in my long-gone youth. But I try to walk a lot and I almost always have a back pack on.

When I put on my loaded backpack to go to the airport for Spain, I love how it feels - so comfortable and so right! I use an Osprey Talon 33, size S/M, loaded with 12 or 13 lb (before water).

You have some time to experiment. Maybe start wearing a cheap day pack every day for some training walks. After month of this, try shopping again for a better pack.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just today I was discussing this topic with my Husband. I own three backpacks (I wont tell you how much luggage I own). My husband thinks I’m obsessed; but that is another story. 😊

In 2019 I hiked the Camino with friends. We all purchased and trained with the Sirrus 36 We also took luggage that we moved because we were going on a two-week vacation after the Camino. In addition, I own a Sirrus 30. The night before leaving for the Camino, I decided to take the 30 instead of the 36.

I am really glad I did because I am short 5’4 and the 36 small no (matter how much I adjust it) tends to shift side to side on the hips when it is full. The torso is just too big. I was able to carry 100% of everything I needed on the Camino in the 30 and I never had a problem with the pack.

I also own a wheeled backpack and hiklite combo below (which I have not used yet). They attach so they can be carried as one item.

Fairview Wheeled Travel Pack Carry-on 36 - Women’s 36L - Osprey Packs Official Site

Hikelite 26 Daypack - Everyday Hiking Backpack - 26 - Osprey Packs Official Site

After a very long discussion of pros and cons I think, I settled on taking the combo and sending the rolling backpack forward. The 26 is a very light pack yet it holds everything I need. The thing I like best are the straps in the front. They are smaller in width and thickness; they just feel more comfortable to wear. I have a few 11-mile hikes this week in the mountains. I plan to load the 26 with my Camino gear and see how it holds up.

Whatever pack you decide to buy, if you buy from REI, you can return it within a year; so I would try a few with all the gear you are going to take and go on a long hike with a lot of hills.

Good luck.

This is a tough issue! Unfortunately I think the only answer is getting back to another shop and trying out some more packs.

Sure, carrying 15 lbs. on your back if you're not used to it can feel a little strange at first - but if it's properly fitted, and fits you properly (two separate but related concerns) it shouldn't feel as uncomfortable as you described it.

Whatever direction you go, I'd thoroughly vet the Osprey Fairpoint before you settle on it. Osprey's travel bags are great (I use a Porter 46 when I'm packing for vacations and trips that require more gear), but they aren't really designed for walking with for hours on end. If you try it and it works for you, great! But you may want to consider something with more suspension and maybe a vented back panel.

Deuter has plenty of fans and their packs have always struck me as narrower than other brands, which may be a good match for your narrow shoulders. And the Women's Speed Lite 30 is on clearance sale now at REI if you can manage to get your capacity down to 30L.

Funnily enough, I'll be using an REI Trail 40 on my own CF next month - it just felt like "The One" when I first tried it on with some weight inside and took a hike around the shop. But as you said, there's definitely a pack out there for you! You just need to find it. Fortunately you have six months to keep trying. Good luck and keep us posted!

If I read this correctly, you did not have all the backpacks with weight in them with trying them on. You really can't tell how they fit without weight. I would also try the Gregory and the Osprey one on with weight, you might be surprised how differently those shoulders fit.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Embee

If you see where your belly button is, then at that level, feel on the side
of your body. There is a hip bone right there, or as I call it a hip shelf.
Your hip belts should be centered (up & down) on that hip shelf.

That's one of the first things you should do when trying on the backpack.
The first thing is to loosen all the straps -shoulder, hip, and under arm.
Then put on the backpack and place the backpack centered on your
hip shelf and tighten up the hip belts. Then tighten the other straps.
On most models the shoulder straps will adjust up and down, but that's
a different adjustment than just tightening a strap

On most models there is videos on the internet that explain how to
adjust them. Once you get narrowed down on your selection
watch a video on how to adjust that backpack.

Also, the carry on size is 22 x 14 x 9 inches. So, check if the backpack
you are going to buy doesn't have a frame longer than 22 inches.
You may say you want to check in your backpack now, but at some point
you may decide it would be easier to carry on everything. Lots of
pilgrims do that except for hiking poles that need to be checked
or buy them in Spain.

I like Osprey Packs because they have a good warranty

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

My wife and I head to Porto on Wednesday. This will be her fourth Camino with her Osprey 36L Sirrus. At 5’2”, this pack fits her very well and has plenty of room for what she needs to carry. After a few Caminos, we have honed our packing list down to the essentials where neither of us carry more than 12 pounds. The lighter weight and a good fitting backpack make all the difference. Check out the Sirrus. It may work for you as well. Plus, we’ve never had any problem bringing this size pack into the cabin on international flights from Canada or the US.

Only one comment as this topic can become quite broad. Pack size is more important than most any other part of the decision. Larger packs weigh more than smaller packs. Larger packs also allow the carrier to pack more, sometime more than they really need.

I was like you the first time out, a 40L pack and everything that I, "thought I needed." It weighed 22 lb. I got 50 km before I blew an IT Band in my leg. Not good. Six years later and I am still suffering.

My second attempt saw me use the same pack but with less than half the contents, only 10 lb without a 1L canteen of water. Now, I do not even use the canteen as a purchased bottle of water can be reused many times, and is the lightest water bottle available, and close to free.

Consider this possibility;

It is going to be my pack on my next Camino. I have used it for other things for the last 3 years, since it first came out and am completely happy with it.

32 L Max. Anything more and you’ll overpack. When you get it, load it up with 10kg weights. Find a building with 20 flights of stairs. Climb up and down. You’ll know if it’s right for you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Before we did our first camino, we went to REI. They were wonderful. I did quite a few practice caminos before I found the right pack for me, an Osprey Kestrel. I realized that my main issue was having strong armstraps. This means a slightly heavier backpack.

My wife went through six backpacks becoming so discouraged that I thought we may never walk a camino. Then one afternoon at REI, she put on an REI brand 35 liter backpack and it fit perfectly. She knew it immediately, as did the REI dude and me. It was like the skies had suddenly cleared with a ray of sunshine beaming down on her. We have walked 8 different camino paths and will do another one, this September starting in Vezelay, and we expect no issues.

The moral of this story is: Keep trying backpacks until you find the one that feels like it's a part of you, not an appendage or a burden. Be patient. Learn to pack it properly so it is balanced. If not, you will feel the pain. I carry 16 pounds, including water; she carries, 13 pounds, including water. We are so blessed these days that so many needed items weigh so little. That includes sandals. We switched from heavy Tevas to almost weightless Crocs swift water sandals. They wear as well as any sturdier sandals and are sooo comfortable. Crocs may be discontinuing them, which is why we stocked up and bought more pairs just in case. The backpack, shoes and sandals are the three most important items that you should do your best to get right...for you.

I am 57 and planning on doing the Camino in May. I just returned my backpack to REI because after hiking with it full it was rubbing on my shoulder blades. I did buy a new one it’s called the Deuter air light 35+10. I really like it because it is definitely made to fit a smaller frame of a woman. It’s a 35 L but you can add an extra 10 L onto the top because the fold over lid goes up a little higher so I think it’s perfect for the Camino. I also tried the Osprey tempest and it also pinched near my collarbone when it was full.And after a lot of trial and error I also finally found my shoe. I also tried the lone peaks and was not successful with them. I am now hiking in the Hoka Stinson which seems to offer a lot of cushion on my foot. I hope this helps! Buen Camino!

ULA Ohm by ULA in Utah and Topo shoes. ULA's are handmade specifically for through hikers by through hikers. Topo's have same large toe box as Ultra's, but have 3mm and 5mm lift shoes with better arch supports.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Try to think of "Another Camino" one where you don't leave with fear and pain but a smile as you walk this new path. October can be cold , pack enough. Conditioning will be felt after the first week of walking, Go Slow. If the pack is a burden, Ship it. Try insoles in your Hokas, that could effect the fit. You have six months to sort all this out and you still won't know what your in for, most don't, learn and enjoy.

This is what I finally realized. Turns out, my torso seems to be … non–standard. If I measure to the right spot on my backbone and size the pack that way, the hip belt is too low to sit on the “shelf”, as @isawtman describes it. It sits below it and has no purchase, and all the weight bouncing around causes the pack to slide down my torso.

Men generally have less of a shelf than women, and I always attributed the inevitable downward pack migration — that left all the weight on my shoulders — to that. By about mile 200 it was miserable.

If I can keep the weight on that “shelf” by centering the hip belt on the peak of my hip bones (mine seem to jut up like Huayna Picchu) and properly place the shoulder straps, it makes a world of difference.

For backcountry hiking I recently used an Osprey Aether 65 S/M, even though many professionals (by that I mean ‘REI store clerks hanging around the backpacks’) have done the traditional measurement and pegged me for L/XL based on the standard. The S/M actually sat on my hips.

I may use the Osprey, despite its relative weight and capacity (2x what should be packed, IMO) on the next Camino.

;)
Have you tried a Deuter? I’m also a small frame – 5’2” – and I LOVE my Deuter (SL women’s fit, 3lbs 12oz) backpack. It’s now 7 years old as I bought it just before my first backpacking adventure at age 60. It will be my first time walking the Camino with it, but I’ve done a fair amount of backpacking since and (as long as it’s packed properly) it always feels good. Mine is a 45+10 and I know that’s more than I need space-wise, but I’m unwilling to spend money on another one, so will just keep it to 12lbs -15lbs. It’s very adjustable and I like that it has 3 separate compartments making it easy to organize.

It's important to pack correctly – I know from experience. 😜 I also just recently added some weight in the form of barbells (similar to how rice packs would work) to see how 15 lbs would feel - as I'm used to carrying more on backpacking hikes, and it felt WAY different than having actual backpacking items correctly placed and evenly distributed. I did just do a hike yesterday with my daughter – added 10 lbs to my backpack with clothes, 10 essentials, etc and it felt really good. A few more lbs shouldn’t be too bad.

I’ve carried up to 30 lbs in that backpack and hiked 10 miles out and back in the mountains – nothing I would recommend - but the pack was comfortable the whole time.

Hopefully that’s of some help. Finding the right backpack/fit is definitely an individual thing. Many of my backpacking friends have different brands and are happy with them. REI is really great about purchases, because if something doesn’t work – you can return it and try something else. I’ve been doing that with shoes (and have settled on the Altra Lone Peaks! 😊)

Best of luck!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hello!

I have a background in Ultralight backpacking on the Appalachian Trail in North Carolina and Virginia. The backpack as well as what you carry inside it are both equally important. I use a 36L Gossamer Gear Kumo Pack. It’s light weight and large enough to carry what will be needed on the Camino.

I also hike using the Altra Lone Peaks. I have the 4.5 and the 6. I like them both. The 6 is stiffer and offers more cushioning that the 4.5, probably because of user complaints of “feeling” to much of the trail.

Buen Camino!

You are doing the right thing is seeking professional advice at the REI store. My thumbnail advice is that smaller is better than larger capacity. If you are an averaged sized person, you should be able to carry everything you need in 32 - 36 Liters. Larger will only 'suck up' extraneous stuff.

I started with a 48 liter Osprey Kestrel. I now use a 38 Liter Osprey Kestrel. But I am trying to get everything I need into a 32 Liter Berghaus rucksack. All that is stopping me from implementing this "slimming down" plan is my wife not allowing me to go on Camino until all evidence of COVID is scourged from the planet. I am not holding my breath.

Another forum member '@davebugg' is our resident gear expert. Even I accede to his input. If I recall correctly, gear companies send new gear to Dave for evaluation and review before the release it to the market. Consider sending him a PM to ask for help. He always replies.

Final point on women's rucksacks. They ARE designed differently, as women's torsos are different than mens. Davebugg can explain far better than me, but women's packs typically have shorter torsos and smaller waist-belts, among other design variations.

DO not buy the cheapest rucksack you can find. Buy the rucksack that is the BEST solution to your needs - regardless of cost. Now, having said that, if you can score the ideal solution on a sale - go for it.

In my experience, the two most important gear items you will invest in are your footwear and your rucksack.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Hey,

I have an Osprey 36L Sirrus. I got the xs/s. I walked the camino Leon last October. I love my pack. Maybe give this one a try. We are planning on walking from Porto this upcoming October. I did try on many packs before deciding.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
32 L Max. Anything more and you’ll overpack.
I don't know why people keep repeating this.
I take what only I need, regardless of the size of my pack. Fit and comfort when carrying a backpack is more important than sticking to some arbitrary size.
Plus there are some ultralight packs that are absolutely cavernous.
For example the Zpacks women's Arc Scout backpack holds 50 liters, but only weighs 19.1 oz/541 g. It's super customizable too.

Last edited:

Edited to add: They did measure my torso.hi

Hi. I too am 5'1". I am 62 years old and hiked the northern route from Irun to SDC in Sept/Oct of 2019. I am a pretty about backpacker and used to be a Backcountry ranger " back in the day". But I too have had my share of physical issues including spinal fusion, ACL tears , yadda yadda yadda. My pack could not have been more comfortable. I just love it so much. It is called ULA ( ultra light adventure) The model is OHM 2.0
This is a super lightweight pack but just cradles my back ever so wonderfully. I backpacked the Colorado Trail (500 miles)a few years ago and noticed that a lot of backpackers doing the entire Continental Divide trail ( 2500 miles) used this pack. It it's so ordered on line not available in stores as far as I know. Pack it so that the weight is distributed correctly which I'm sure you know about. Also, when we did the Camino my pack and all the gear started out weighing 14#. After a week I eliminated everything that wasn't 100% necessary ( ex I had one set of clothes that I hiked in every day. I washed them every night. And one set ( a cute black dress with leggings as it is cool in Oct) that I wore after hiking that I really only washed one of two times as it didn't get that dirty) and got the weight of my pack down to 10#. Super doable. I used 100%of everything I had and did not have a single "extra" thing and I loved it that way. 10# felt light as a feather. 14# weighted me down. Not sure why 4# made such a difference but it did. I really liked carrying my own stuff and not relying on a company to deliver it as we had more freedom that way.
Also I really like Hoka Stinson shoes but that's just an FYI thing as shoes are pretty individual based on the characteristics of your foot. Kind of lengthy response but hope it helps.

Have your REI order in several backpacks that are the correct size for your torso. Try them all in the store with added weight.
The hip belt should wrap around the hipbones (iliac crest) in order for the weight to be shifted properly to your hips. If it is at the waist, it is too high. A poorly fitting backpack will be a torment.
I did the same as you on my first backpack trip - lousy pack and too heavy gear. It's a wonder I still hike after that fiasco! Except that now I know how important the proper backpack is!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I take what only I need, regardless of the size of my pack. Fit and comfort when carrying a backpack is more important than sticking to some arbitrary size.
For example the Zpacks women's Arc Scout backpack holds 50 liters, but only weighs 19.1 oz/541 g. It's super customizable too.
I think it has something to do with the disclipine it takes not to keep adding one more thing because there is still room. My husband used to be very bad about that, but has finally kicked the habit.

I think it has something to do with the disclipine it takes not to keep adding one more thing because there is still room. My husband used to be very bad about that, but has finally kicked the habit.
By all means, if one doesn't have the discipline to stop adding things to their backpack then limiting its size might be the only solution, but it's not one size fits all advice - literally.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Me neither.

And then they hang all the stuff that didn't fit into their tiny daypack on the outside or ship a suitcase ahead!

If everything one needs fits into a small pack and / or you like to play Tetris or want to send a bag ahead (all fine!), a small pack is probably enough and a good idea (as long as it fits). But it's certainly not the only right way.

Personally I like to be able to put everything into my pack easily. It's giant but it's comfortable. I'd be so annoyed with a 28l pack!

With the big one I can pack more for winter hikes or when I intend to camp, or I pack less for a camping free summer hike. Same pack for everything, works just fine.

Last edited:

I feel your pain! I carried the womens Osprey Kyte 46 liters, extra small torso length on my Camino. I'm 5'2", and at that time was about 118 pounds. It was a bit larger than needed liter-wise, but you just don't pack it completely full and use the compression straps. I would probably have done the 36 liter, but my shop at the time also had no xs torso length in that one and I was in a time crunch. We are going to Spain to do the Ignacian camino with a group here in 2.5 weeks, and since they are going to bus our luggage, I wanted to take a sleeker more travel-like pack. I have tried the Osprey Porter (smaller cousin of the Farview) but I did not find it comfortable. My Kyte was absolutely perfect when adjusted (the torso length CAN be adjusted). I can even totally load it and go into a airport bathroom stall and leave it on for the entire thing....It has pockets on the waistbelt, a rainfly zipped into a bottom pocket, top AND side entries, etc. etc. I love it - except. I have alot of dangling straps, which drives me crazy. I hate that the brain doesn't come off, so when you open it and flop it back to get to either the underside zippered mesh pocket, OR into the top of the pack, if there is anything heavy in it, like toiletries, it pulls the pack over. But where I was going was this......I've been looking for weeks for a sleeker more _travel-oriented pack. I've ordered Pacsafe, Gregorys, and gone to REI where I had the same awful weight experience as you did. I even tried kids' packs, but the waistbelt isn't contoured for a woman's curvier hip. The small of the REI Trail was pretty good, but not good enough for me to buy another pack. So.....guess I'm going with the Kyte again and just dealing with the straps, etc. We'll be on our own several days in cities and I just wanted something a bit less "hiker-ish" but I'm not willing to compromise the extreme comfort of my extra small Kyte. So, if you've not tried an XS Kyte, you might do that. Hope you totally enjoy your camino, no matter what's on your back! ( and if you need to have things transported, totally do that!)

I feel your pain! I carried the womens Osprey Kyte 46 liters, extra small torso length on my Camino. I'm 5'2", and at that time was about 118 pounds. It was a bit larger than needed liter-wise, but you just don't pack it completely full and use the compression straps. I would probably have done the 36 liter, but my shop at the time also had no xs torso length in that one and I was in a time crunch. We are going to Spain to do the Ignacian camino with a group here in 2.5 weeks, and since they are going to bus our luggage, I wanted to take a sleeker more travel-like pack. I have tried the Osprey Porter (smaller cousin of the Farview) but I did not find it comfortable. My Kyte was absolutely perfect when adjusted (the torso length CAN be adjusted). I can even totally load it and go into a airport bathroom stall and leave it on for the entire thing....It has pockets on the waistbelt, a rainfly zipped into a bottom pocket, top AND side entries, etc. etc. I love it - except. I have alot of dangling straps, which drives me crazy. I hate that the brain doesn't come off, so when you open it and flop it back to get to either the underside zippered mesh pocket, OR into the top of the pack, if there is anything heavy in it, like toiletries, it pulls the pack over. But where I was going was this......I've been looking for weeks for a sleeker more _travel-oriented pack. I've ordered Pacsafe, Gregorys, and gone to REI where I had the same awful weight experience as you did. I even tried kids' packs, but the waistbelt isn't contoured for a woman's curvier hip. The small of the REI Trail was pretty good, but not good enough for me to buy another pack. So.....guess I'm going with the Kyte again and just dealing with the straps, etc. We'll be on our own several days in cities and I just wanted something a bit less "hiker-ish" but I'm not willing to compromise the extreme comfort of my extra small Kyte. So, if you've not tried an XS Kyte, you might do that. Hope you totally enjoy your camino, no matter what's on your back! ( and if you need to have things transported, totally do that!)
Oh - I carried about 12 lbs in the pack on camino.

I think this is spot-on. Surely the first point has to be ‘does this fit me and is it comfortable’; what you put in it requires some thought and self discipline not a size limit. I’ve seen some Peregrinos with modest sized packs with sleeping bag, mat, spare footware and other items tied on the outside.

I have a long back and a left shoulder which doesn’t take kindly to taking weight vertically and, so, if I want a sack it’s going to be 35l+ to ensure that the hip-belt fits comfortably and takes the majority of the weight.

I use an Osprey Kestrel 38 and it’s 2/3 full as a rule, with a load of about 8 kilos. When flying in and out it’s a little more full when jacket and poles are inside.

I don’t have to think carefully how I pack the sack each morning as I’m not constrained by capacity.

It’s a very personal decision.

Sounds like somebody's never done any real wilderness backpacking. ;)
I've been "wilderness" backpacking all my life, and if my pack doesn't fit me properly then I suffer, but I agree with you, I don't overpack either ;)

I completed the French Camino and packed a osprey lite. I trained and appeared to manage carrying the small load, around 7 kilos. That said I've discovered that I am extremely poor at carrying a pack over hundreds of KMs. (Probably failure to strengthen my core muscle, don't know specifics, just that I suck carrying a pack) . I ended up using Correos luggage transfers. My plan "B" meant I sacrificed some spontaneity but gained back an enormous amount of joy. I completed the walk from St Jean to Finesterre and whilst I suffered a little, loved every moment.

Embee,

I have quite a bit of experience backpacking. For the first few decades I never worried about my pack, I carried those old Keltys with external frames and well padded hip belts. They were perfect, if a little heavy.

In the last few years I decided to move on to modern styles and I made many mistakes before finding what my body needs in a pack. My body needs a hip belt that has double straps that pull the top part of it around my hip bones without sliding down all the time.
I also look for a frame that transfers ALL the weight from the shoulders to the hips.

But that’s just me. Everyone’s body has different needs. I once asked an expert (that’s a person who writes books) which pack she used and when she told me, I asked her what she liked about that pack. She said “That’s the one that fits me“.

Don’t give up. You’re not alone in finding that 90% of the packs out there do not fit you right. Most of them do not have replaceable hip belts. As a small woman you will have a hard time finding a pack with a big enough hip belt and a small enough torso size. You should keep trying packs from REI, though most of them are not customizable, because you can use them and return them. Keep the weight of the pack around 3 pounds but don’t worry about the size. Whatever you do don’t use a frameless pack. When you’re carrying over 10% of your body weight, you need a good frame. Good luck.

I used two different backpacks on my Caminos.

The first was a wonderful backpack, overstocked from a very reputable company. Everything fit well. However, the hip belt was too small for my giant hips - I think this was a woman's pack and, well, I guess I'm above average.

I gerry-rigged padded belts to make it fit around my hips and it definitely sufficed for the long haul from SJPdP tp SdC, no problems, issues, extra aches and pains.

I next got another and I specifically looked for a hip belt that fit at the outset. I didn't know what I was missing until I found this one. I didn't know that I should be able to totally loosen my shoulder straps and still be able to comfortably carry the pack weight on my hips alone. What a relief when my shoulders needed an occasional break.

It's hard to figure out your best stride when testing packs in a store and I think your stride has alot to do with how the pack feels as it shifts on your body with each step. Tighten, without over-tightening, the pack on your body. Expect a bit of a sway, but not enough to throw yourself off balance (very dangerous, IMHO). The items in your pack need to be close to your spine so your body can get a sense of the new center of gravity.

Like trying out shoes, there is no easy answer. Even the people in the stores can only do so much, even though well intentioned.

Good luck. Listen to your body. Take it very easy in the beginning. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Did they measure your torso? That will be important in selecting a pack. I am sure @davebugg will chime in here as a gear tester.

I found the "molded" hip belts that come with Rei and Osprey packs did not work well for me. This year since I have a travel CPAP and extra meds to carry, I purchased a Red Fox Sand Hill 45L to replace my old Columbia brand Camino pack. It has more room than I need, but after a good fitting and loaded with my Camino stuff, it weigh 11.5 lbs. and will work.

My husband has abandoned the Osprey packs this year. He has two, but one is too heavy and the other is too small. He also has a CPAP and medications to deal with. He has had them both for years and taken them both on various Camino. He is trying out two different packs right now. One is an Arctereryx from Rei and the other a Six Moon Designs Swift X. The Six Moons is winning the competition right now and he has loaded them both and tested them each twice on training walks. The Six Moons is more substantial and looks like it will be less likely to break or need a repair. Both have kind of a vest instead of straps which is more comfortable after a shoulder replacement 2 years ago.

Six Moons has also asked Phil to send photos of the pack fit so they can give feedback on adjustments. Good service for an online purchase I think.

When you buy something look at the return policy. A well fitting pack is second only to good footwear in my book. Try it out loaded and fitted properly for more than 7 steps in the store.
Thanks for the detailed intel! FWIW: They did measure my torso. Seems I'm in-between sizes... Figures!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, as J Willhaus has inferred, you definitely need to have that crucial torso measurement. I am 6 inches taller than you but my torso measurement is only just over 14 inches, so I require an extra small in most packs in order to get the torso measurement to fit comfortably.

Regarding your Lone Peaks, I'm sure others will weigh in, but I was just watching a blog last night and the blogger had added a heel cup to her Lone Peaks and they served her well. Here is the link if you care to have a look; the footwear section starts at about the 12:00 mark. (She also did a post-Camino gear review.)

Good luck with getting everything as right as you possibly can before your trek. Don't be discouraged, it can take time. A knowledgeable salesperson can be a great asset. Perhaps phoning some vendors and asking if they can set you up with their most experienced person might be beneficial.

Thanks for the info! Yes, they did measure... Apparently, I'm in-between sizes... Thanks for the link. I've watched some of her vlogs before. I just checked out the area you discussed, and taken notes! @SeñorJacques also recommends the heel lifts...

€149,-
It really doesn’t seem as though you have had a pack offered which is fitting you correctly. With a well fitting hip-belt and a rucksack which has a decent internal frame it should be possible to get the vast majority of the weight on your pelvis. You might not want that much of it there all the time, but still there should be no doubt as to where the load is.

Also going from zero to 15lbs, plus the weight of the rucksack in one go might be too much for you. I assume you’re stepping up the distance if you’re doing some preparatory walks?
Thanks, @henrythedog . Yeah, it just seemed like there was no hip support. Also, were out of a lot of stock and sizes. I will approach differently in the future.

I’m going to give you a real outside the box answer, but I believe it is true and will help you.

You say that you’re pretty active, but that can cover a lot of ground. How strong is your core? Do you do any weight training, yoga or calisthenics or a regular basis? Can you hold a plank for 60 seconds? Can you do 20 pushups? 50 squats? Don’t worry, I don’t want you to answer these questions here, and I am not saying you need those exact abilities to do the Camino. I am well aware that many people do the Camino with many levels of fitness. But I am saying that being strong will make it all a lot, lot easier.

Someone who has a good strong core and legs can walk around for a few minutes with 15 pounds on their back, even if it’s the worst fitting pack in the world. It sounds to me that the issue isn’t finding the right pack, but working on your strength will get you to your goal of walking the Camino with a pack.

Personally, I don’t believe that ‘the right pack‘ is a magical solution for you or for anyone. I have backpacked with a variety of packs since the 1970s, and some of those packs weren’t so comfortable. But they all did the job. We are fortunate that they are so much better now than they used to be, but probably there are a whole bunch of packs that would work for you. You have many months before your Camino. Work on getting in shape, then go shopping for a pack a month or so before your start date. I think you’ll find all of the packs and the 15 pounds to be much, much more comfortable.
Thanks for your perspective, @Esperanza .

If you are not used to carrying a backpack - of any sort, even with just a couple of pounds in it - maybe that is the problem.

I wear a backpack daily to go about my business, and I feel strange walking without it! (My old purses all sit in the closet collecting dust.)

On a daily basis, I do not wear my Camino backpack, because all of the straps and doodads are not necessary for a shopping trip, and even I have some shyness about marching to the grocery store in flagrant hiking gear. However, my back and my legs and my balance are all accustomed to carrying something on my back. I am 73 years old and don't think I have never done a plank in my life. I may have done a sit-up or two in my long-gone youth. But I try to walk a lot and I almost always have a back pack on.

When I put on my loaded backpack to go to the airport for Spain, I love how it feels - so comfortable and so right! I use an Osprey Talon 33, size S/M, loaded with 12 or 13 lb (before water).

You have some time to experiment. Maybe start wearing a cheap day pack every day for some training walks. After month of this, try shopping again for a better pack.
Thanks, @C clearly. Decades ago, I wore a simple backpack in lieu of a cross-shoulder bag (which is what I wear regularly now). I do have a cheap backpack I only occasionally wear, but will begin to use regularly now on my walks, adding to it little by little by little. That's a very doable task for me.

Just today I was discussing this topic with my Husband. I own three backpacks (I wont tell you how much luggage I own). My husband thinks I’m obsessed; but that is another story. 😊

In 2019 I hiked the Camino with friends. We all purchased and trained with the Sirrus 36 We also took luggage that we moved because we were going on a two-week vacation after the Camino. In addition, I own a Sirrus 30. The night before leaving for the Camino, I decided to take the 30 instead of the 36.

I am really glad I did because I am short 5’4 and the 36 small no (matter how much I adjust it) tends to shift side to side on the hips when it is full. The torso is just too big. I was able to carry 100% of everything I needed on the Camino in the 30 and I never had a problem with the pack.

I also own a wheeled backpack and hiklite combo below (which I have not used yet). They attach so they can be carried as one item.

Fairview Wheeled Travel Pack Carry-on 36 - Women’s 36L - Osprey Packs Official Site

Hikelite 26 Daypack - Everyday Hiking Backpack - 26 - Osprey Packs Official Site

After a very long discussion of pros and cons I think, I settled on taking the combo and sending the rolling backpack forward. The 26 is a very light pack yet it holds everything I need. The thing I like best are the straps in the front. They are smaller in width and thickness; they just feel more comfortable to wear. I have a few 11-mile hikes this week in the mountains. I plan to load the 26 with my Camino gear and see how it holds up.

Whatever pack you decide to buy, if you buy from REI, you can return it within a year; so I would try a few with all the gear you are going to take and go on a long hike with a lot of hills.

Good luck.
Thanks @RJ in CA. A number of other women (and men on behalf of women) have recommended the Sirrus 36, and I will be checking it out. As of last night, there was a sale at Osprey; will have to find out what there return policy is.

To clarify, the last Camino, you took the Fairview, which you sent ahead, and carried the day pack? The one I looked at was similar, had no wheels, rather straps, and had a daypack attached to it. Without weight in it, I found the fit quite comfortable.

This is a tough issue! Unfortunately I think the only answer is getting back to another shop and trying out some more packs.

Sure, carrying 15 lbs. on your back if you're not used to it can feel a little strange at first - but if it's properly fitted, and fits you properly (two separate but related concerns) it shouldn't feel as uncomfortable as you described it.

Whatever direction you go, I'd thoroughly vet the Osprey Fairpoint before you settle on it. Osprey's travel bags are great (I use a Porter 46 when I'm packing for vacations and trips that require more gear), but they aren't really designed for walking with for hours on end. If you try it and it works for you, great! But you may want to consider something with more suspension and maybe a vented back panel.

Deuter has plenty of fans and their packs have always struck me as narrower than other brands, which may be a good match for your narrow shoulders. And the Women's Speed Lite 30 is on clearance sale now at REI if you can manage to get your capacity down to 30L.

Funnily enough, I'll be using an REI Trail 40 on my own CF next month - it just felt like "The One" when I first tried it on with some weight inside and took a hike around the shop. But as you said, there's definitely a pack out there for you! You just need to find it. Fortunately you have six months to keep trying. Good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks, @SeñorJacques. I definitely need to start more gently (I didn't know - I thought you were just supposed to plop the weight in there); but I also think that, without any hip support, there was... well, no support. I did wonder for sure about the Fairpoint. Despite the comfort, I also see that it is not a "proper" backpack. As for weight, I am aspiring to carry no more than 10% of my weight, but I have barely started gathering/acquiring stuff yet. I'm starting almost from scratch, so lots of work/spending/figuring out to do there yet, and indeed I am trying to pace myself!

If I read this correctly, you did not have all the backpacks with weight in them with trying them on. You really can't tell how they fit without weight. I would also try the Gregory and the Osprey one on with weight, you might be surprised how differently those shoulders fit.
Thanks, @Susan Peacock. Will do!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Embee

That's one of the first things you should do when trying on the backpack.
The first thing is to loosen all the straps -shoulder, hip, and under arm.
Then put on the backpack and place the backpack centered on your
hip shelf and tighten up the hip belts. Then tighten the other straps.
On most models the shoulder straps will adjust up and down, but that's
a different adjustment than just tightening a strap

On most models there is videos on the internet that explain how to
adjust them. Once you get narrowed down on your selection
watch a video on how to adjust that backpack.

Also, the carry on size is 22 x 14 x 9 inches. So, check if the backpack
you are going to buy doesn't have a frame longer than 22 inches.
You may say you want to check in your backpack now, but at some point
you may decide it would be easier to carry on everything. Lots of
pilgrims do that except for hiking poles that need to be checked
or buy them in Spain.

I like Osprey Packs because they have a good warranty
Thanks, @isawtman. That's useful info about sizing. My hipbone seemed nowhere near the latitude or just below the latitude of my hipe shelf, so I felt like it was my waist carrying the load, and that felt very weird. So maybe it's just not right for my build...

My wife and I head to Porto on Wednesday. This will be her fourth Camino with her Osprey 36L Sirrus. At 5’2”, this pack fits her very well and has plenty of room for what she needs to carry. After a few Caminos, we have honed our packing list down to the essentials where neither of us carry more than 12 pounds. The lighter weight and a good fitting backpack make all the difference. Check out the Sirrus. It may work for you as well. Plus, we’ve never had any problem bringing this size pack into the cabin on international flights from Canada or the US.
Great to know! I will def be checking out the Sirrus 36, which others have also recommended.

Only one comment as this topic can become quite broad. Pack size is more important than most any other part of the decision. Larger packs weigh more than smaller packs. Larger packs also allow the carrier to pack more, sometime more than they really need.

I was like you the first time out, a 40L pack and everything that I, "thought I needed." It weighed 22 lb. I got 50 km before I blew an IT Band in my leg. Not good. Six years later and I am still suffering.

My second attempt saw me use the same pack but with less than half the contents, only 10 lb without a 1L canteen of water. Now, I do not even use the canteen as a purchased bottle of water can be reused many times, and is the lightest water bottle available, and close to free.

Consider this possibility;

It is going to be my pack on my next Camino. I have used it for other things for the last 3 years, since it first came out and am completely happy with it.
Thanks for the tips, @MichelleElynHogan

Before we did our first camino, we went to REI. They were wonderful. I did quite a few practice caminos before I found the right pack for me, an Osprey Kestrel. I realized that my main issue was having strong armstraps. This means a slightly heavier backpack.

My wife went through six backpacks becoming so discouraged that I thought we may never walk a camino. Then one afternoon at REI, she put on an REI brand 35 liter backpack and it fit perfectly. She knew it immediately, as did the REI dude and me. It was like the skies had suddenly cleared with a ray of sunshine beaming down on her. We have walked 8 different camino paths and will do another one, this September starting in Vezelay, and we expect no issues.

The moral of this story is: Keep trying backpacks until you find the one that feels like it's a part of you, not an appendage or a burden. Be patient. Learn to pack it properly so it is balanced. If not, you will feel the pain. I carry 16 pounds, including water; she carries, 13 pounds, including water. We are so blessed these days that so many needed items weigh so little. That includes sandals. We switched from heavy Tevas to almost weightless Crocs swift water sandals. They wear as well as any sturdier sandals and are sooo comfortable. Crocs may be discontinuing them, which is why we stocked up and bought more pairs just in case. The backpack, shoes and sandals are the three most important items that you should do your best to get right...for you.
Thanks, @Anthony Rocco . Very specific and helpful. Can you explain to me what "strong armstraps" are? I mean, is it just that they feel very sturdy? Also, the Crocs - are those just for airing out your feet at the end of the day or are you able to hike in them, too?

I am 57 and planning on doing the Camino in May. I just returned my backpack to REI because after hiking with it full it was rubbing on my shoulder blades. I did buy a new one it’s called the Deuter air light 35+10. I really like it because it is definitely made to fit a smaller frame of a woman. It’s a 35 L but you can add an extra 10 L onto the top because the fold over lid goes up a little higher so I think it’s perfect for the Camino. I also tried the Osprey tempest and it also pinched near my collarbone when it was full.And after a lot of trial and error I also finally found my shoe. I also tried the lone peaks and was not successful with them. I am now hiking in the Hoka Stinson which seems to offer a lot of cushion on my foot. I hope this helps! Buen Camino!
Thanks, @MaryStella . I will look into that pack. Re Hokas - sadly ,I never found ones to accommodate my wide feet.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
ULA Ohm by ULA in Utah and Topo shoes. ULA's are handmade specifically for through hikers by through hikers. Topo's have same large toe box as Ultra's, but have 3mm and 5mm lift shoes with better arch supports.
Thanks, @Crandall . I'm planning on trying on some Topos. And I will look into the ULA bag, too.

Try to think of "Another Camino" one where you don't leave with fear and pain but a smile as you walk this new path. October can be cold , pack enough. Conditioning will be felt after the first week of walking, Go Slow. If the pack is a burden, Ship it. Try insoles in your Hokas, that could effect the fit. You have six months to sort all this out and you still won't know what your in for, most don't, learn and enjoy.

Thanks for the advice, @williamlittig.

I, too, have thought about this philosophically. I've thought, "'I will only have a first walk once..." Everything is so unknown now (the backpack is the least of it!). But at the end of the first day, I'll have learned something about how I fare; and at the end of the second, third, etc., I will know more, still. And the next time I go (if that's the case, as it is with so many on this forum) will be different as a result (and the next and the next, and so on). Have you ever read Mark Twain's essay, "Two Views of the River"? It is about being a novice and then an expert steamboat pilot on the Mississippi? I think it's a poetic, if ultimately melancholic, little piece (and not really the sentiment you're getting at). But, still, this essay is what came to mind.

This is what I finally realized. Turns out, my torso seems to be … non–standard. If I measure to the right spot on my backbone and size the pack that way, the hip belt is too low to sit on the “shelf”, as @isawtman describes it. It sits below it and has no purchase, and all the weight bouncing around causes the pack to slide down my torso.

Men generally have less of a shelf than women, and I always attributed the inevitable downward pack migration — that left all the weight on my shoulders — to that. By about mile 200 it was miserable.

If I can keep the weight on that “shelf” by centering the hip belt on the peak of my hip bones (mine seem to jut up like Huayna Picchu) and properly place the shoulder straps, it makes a world of difference.

For backcountry hiking I recently used an Osprey Aether 65 S/M, even though many professionals (by that I mean ‘REI store clerks hanging around the backpacks’) have done the traditional measurement and pegged me for L/XL based on the standard. The S/M actually sat on my hips.

I may use the Osprey, despite its relative weight and capacity (2x what should be packed, IMO) on the next Camino.
@tjb1013 . Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention in my post that apparently I'm between sizes... So we'll see how that goes. I'll work on finding the sweet hip bones spot! With the REI Trail, hip bones were not even grazed!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have you tried a Deuter? I’m also a small frame – 5’2” – and I LOVE my Deuter (SL women’s fit, 3lbs 12oz) backpack. It’s now 7 years old as I bought it just before my first backpacking adventure at age 60. It will be my first time walking the Camino with it, but I’ve done a fair amount of backpacking since and (as long as it’s packed properly) it always feels good. Mine is a 45+10 and I know that’s more than I need space-wise, but I’m unwilling to spend money on another one, so will just keep it to 12lbs -15lbs. It’s very adjustable and I like that it has 3 separate compartments making it easy to organize.

It's important to pack correctly – I know from experience. 😜 I also just recently added some weight in the form of barbells (similar to how rice packs would work) to see how 15 lbs would feel - as I'm used to carrying more on backpacking hikes, and it felt WAY different than having actual backpacking items correctly placed and evenly distributed. I did just do a hike yesterday with my daughter – added 10 lbs to my backpack with clothes, 10 essentials, etc and it felt really good. A few more lbs shouldn’t be too bad.

I’ve carried up to 30 lbs in that backpack and hiked 10 miles out and back in the mountains – nothing I would recommend - but the pack was comfortable the whole time.

Hopefully that’s of some help. Finding the right backpack/fit is definitely an individual thing. Many of my backpacking friends have different brands and are happy with them. REI is really great about purchases, because if something doesn’t work – you can return it and try something else. I’ve been doing that with shoes (and have settled on the Altra Lone Peaks! 😊)

Best of luck!!
Thanks, @fernweh. Another poster recommended that same pack. Re the Lone Peaks, after walking in them for a about 6 weeks (not even hiking), the last time I came away with heel pain and a bit of Plantar Fascitis in my left foot... so will see if some added stuff will help or if I'll need to get another shoe...

Best of luck!!
Yes, definitely helpful! Haven't worn my LPs since last week when I first started having plantar fascitis/heel pain. Not sure what will happen with that...

You are doing the right thing is seeking professional advice at the REI store. My thumbnail advice is that smaller is better than larger capacity. If you are an averaged sized person, you should be able to carry everything you need in 32 - 36 Liters. Larger will only 'suck up' extraneous stuff.

I started with a 48 liter Osprey Kestrel. I now use a 38 Liter Osprey Kestrel. But I am trying to get everything I need into a 32 Liter Berghaus rucksack. All that is stopping me from implementing this "slimming down" plan is my wife not allowing me to go on Camino until all evidence of COVID is scourged from the planet. I am not holding my breath.

Another forum member '@davebugg' is our resident gear expert. Even I accede to his input. If I recall correctly, gear companies send new gear to Dave for evaluation and review before the release it to the market. Consider sending him a PM to ask for help. He always replies.

Final point on women's rucksacks. They ARE designed differently, as women's torsos are different than mens. Davebugg can explain far better than me, but women's packs typically have shorter torsos and smaller waist-belts, among other design variations.

DO not buy the cheapest rucksack you can find. Buy the rucksack that is the BEST solution to your needs - regardless of cost. Now, having said that, if you can score the ideal solution on a sale - go for it.

In my experience, the two most important gear items you will invest in are your footwear and your rucksack.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I'm definitely not going to by the cheapest one (though I wouldn't buy the most expensive one, either). I aspire to pack per recommendations (at or less that 10% body weight). I'll have to go through the process, as a first timer. I'm sure I will tell everybody about it!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey,

I have an Osprey 36L Sirrus. I got the xs/s. I walked the camino Leon last October. I love my pack. Maybe give this one a try. We are planning on walking from Porto this upcoming October. I did try on many packs before deciding.
Thansk! You are not the first person to recommend that backpack. They had an older version on sale at Sierra, so I just bought it. (Will be able to return, albeit with tags, unused, unlike REI.)

Hi. I too am 5'1". I am 62 years old and hiked the northern route from Irun to SDC in Sept/Oct of 2019. I am a pretty about backpacker and used to be a Backcountry ranger " back in the day". But I too have had my share of physical issues including spinal fusion, ACL tears , yadda yadda yadda. My pack could not have been more comfortable. I just love it so much. It is called ULA ( ultra light adventure) The model is OHM 2.0
This is a super lightweight pack but just cradles my back ever so wonderfully. I backpacked the Colorado Trail (500 miles)a few years ago and noticed that a lot of backpackers doing the entire Continental Divide trail ( 2500 miles) used this pack. It it's so ordered on line not available in stores as far as I know. Pack it so that the weight is distributed correctly which I'm sure you know about. Also, when we did the Camino my pack and all the gear started out weighing 14#. After a week I eliminated everything that wasn't 100% necessary ( ex I had one set of clothes that I hiked in every day. I washed them every night. And one set ( a cute black dress with leggings as it is cool in Oct) that I wore after hiking that I really only washed one of two times as it didn't get that dirty) and got the weight of my pack down to 10#. Super doable. I used 100%of everything I had and did not have a single "extra" thing and I loved it that way. 10# felt light as a feather. 14# weighted me down. Not sure why 4# made such a difference but it did. I really liked carrying my own stuff and not relying on a company to deliver it as we had more freedom that way.
Also I really like Hoka Stinson shoes but that's just an FYI thing as shoes are pretty individual based on the characteristics of your foot. Kind of lengthy response but hope it helps.
Thanks for the info! Not a single Hoka style (I tried many) felt comfortable as I've got a pretty wide foot, and don't like them to feel too cradled.

Me neither.

And then they hang all the stuff that didn't fit into their tiny daypack on the outside or ship a suitcase ahead!

If everything one needs fits into a small pack and / or you like to play Tetris or want to send a bag ahead (all fine!), a small pack is probably enough and a good idea (as long as it fits). But it's certainly not the only right way.

Personally I like to be able to put everything into my pack easily. It's giant but it's comfortable. I'd be so annoyed with a 28l pack!

With the big one I can pack more for winter hikes or when I intend to camp, or I pack less for a camping free summer hike. Same pack for everything, works just fine.
I have used "tetris" as a verb itself many times...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have your REI order in several backpacks that are the correct size for your torso. Try them all in the store with added weight.
The hip belt should wrap around the hipbones (iliac crest) in order for the weight to be shifted properly to your hips. If it is at the waist, it is too high. A poorly fitting backpack will be a torment.
I did the same as you on my first backpack trip - lousy pack and too heavy gear. It's a wonder I still hike after that fiasco! Except that now I know how important the proper backpack is!
Thanks, Dyan. Yeah, I could tell that it being at my waist wasn't working! It was just nowhere near my iliac crest.

@JRO You know, when I first traveled to Europe in 1982 (!), and then 4 or 5 times after during those years, I never used a backpack because I thought they were "uncool." Somehow, I didn't want to be pegged a tourist. Instead, I used this soft square bag I carried on my shoulder... as if that made me not look like a tourist! It was maybe 24" x 24", yet I remember all the things I bought along the way, shlepped with for 6 weeks, and brought back with me - a David Bowie vinyl EP, full-size ("Amsterdam" - which I bought in Amsterdam!); an Italian coffee maker; new espadrilles... And, so, except for the one time I sort of backpacked 25 years ago, this is my first time taking a backpack! I guess it's taken this long to know that there is not such thing as "uncool." Or, even if there is, to not care.

BTW: I did find the Osprey Fairview to be a less hiker-ish look; and should I ever wish to travel in a different way - say, not on a trail or camino - I might get it.

I completed the French Camino and packed a osprey lite. I trained and appeared to manage carrying the small load, around 7 kilos. That said I've discovered that I am extremely poor at carrying a pack over hundreds of KMs. (Probably failure to strengthen my core muscle, don't know specifics, just that I suck carrying a pack) . I ended up using Correos luggage transfers. My plan "B" meant I sacrificed some spontaneity but gained back an enormous amount of joy. I completed the walk from St Jean to Finesterre and whilst I suffered a little, loved every moment.
I like how you phrased that! Yeah, it may be that I suck at carrying a backpack, too. But we'll see.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Embee,

I have quite a bit of experience backpacking. For the first few decades I never worried about my pack, I carried those old Keltys with external frames and well padded hip belts. They were perfect, if a little heavy.

In the last few years I decided to move on to modern styles and I made many mistakes before finding what my body needs in a pack. My body needs a hip belt that has double straps that pull the top part of it around my hip bones without sliding down all the time.
I also look for a frame that transfers ALL the weight from the shoulders to the hips.

But that’s just me. Everyone’s body has different needs. I once asked an expert (that’s a person who writes books) which pack she used and when she told me, I asked her what she liked about that pack. She said “That’s the one that fits me“.

Don’t give up. You’re not alone in finding that 90% of the packs out there do not fit you right. Most of them do not have replaceable hip belts. As a small woman you will have a hard time finding a pack with a big enough hip belt and a small enough torso size. You should keep trying packs from REI, though most of them are not customizable, because you can use them and return them. Keep the weight of the pack around 3 pounds but don’t worry about the size. Whatever you do don’t use a frameless pack. When you’re carrying over 10% of your body weight, you need a good frame. Good luck.
Very helpful and supportive!

I used two different backpacks on my Caminos.

The first was a wonderful backpack, overstocked from a very reputable company. Everything fit well. However, the hip belt was too small for my giant hips - I think this was a woman's pack and, well, I guess I'm above average.

I gerry-rigged padded belts to make it fit around my hips and it definitely sufficed for the long haul from SJPdP tp SdC, no problems, issues, extra aches and pains.

I next got another and I specifically looked for a hip belt that fit at the outset. I didn't know what I was missing until I found this one. I didn't know that I should be able to totally loosen my shoulder straps and still be able to comfortably carry the pack weight on my hips alone. What a relief when my shoulders needed an occasional break.

It's hard to figure out your best stride when testing packs in a store and I think your stride has alot to do with how the pack feels as it shifts on your body with each step. Tighten, without over-tightening, the pack on your body. Expect a bit of a sway, but not enough to throw yourself off balance (very dangerous, IMHO). The items in your pack need to be close to your spine so your body can get a sense of the new center of gravity.

Like trying out shoes, there is no easy answer. Even the people in the stores can only do so much, even though well intentioned.

Good luck. Listen to your body. Take it very easy in the beginning. Buen Camino.
Very helpful. Thanks, Kathy F.

Thank you, everyone, who wrote with your experience and suggestions. I needed a few days to read through everything and take notes. While I came away thinking that perhaps I was premature in going backpack-shopping 6 months before my camino and with hardly any gear to try out, I nonetheless bought a Gregory Juno 36L on sale, and an Osprey Sirrus 36L on sale, because myriad people had recommended them, and they are returnable. If neither work, back they'll go, and I'll wait a teeny bit, acquire more gear and try again.

Thanks, again!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks @RJ in CA. A number of other women (and men on behalf of women) have recommended the Sirrus 36, and I will be checking it out. As of last night, there was a sale at Osprey; will have to find out what there return policy is.

To clarify, the last Camino, you took the Fairview, which you sent ahead, and carried the day pack? The one I looked at was similar, had no wheels, rather straps, and had a daypack attached to it. Without weight in it, I found the fit quite comfortable.
I took the Fairview and the Sirrus 24 not 30 (I dont know why I was thinking it was a 30). I use that pack all the time at home. I hike about 40-50 miles every week (im always in training for the Camino). It is identical to the 36, it just does not have the brain. I was able to put all my gear in the pack and it was not completely full. I did not have any Camino Gear in the Fairview it was all in the Sirrus 24.

I sent the Fairview forward it had my vacation clothes and shopping items only.

Three months ago, I decided I wanted a lighter pack to use at home so I bought the DayHike pack. Mainly because it attaches to the Fairview. I travel a lot so I like having the rolling feature of the Fairview and the ability to also carry it as a backpack; and ...It has the suspended back.

Yesterday I packed the DayHike pack with all my gear for the Camino. Today I went on a 10 mile hike with the full pack. It was fine, but I am missing the large wings on the hip belt. I leave for the Camino one month from today so I will hike with it for a few weeks and decide if it will work or if I will use the Sirrus 24. The Dayhike is a 26 but it feels so much smaller.

BTW after packing everything I wanted to take the pack was 10.75 lbs. My rule is no more than 10 without water so, I will be reducing further.

I'm not sure about Ospreys return policy, but REI's anniversary sale is in May; Ospreys should be on sale then, and you get an extra 20% off. If you don't have an REI near you, it can be ordered online. I bought both of my Sirrus packs at the Anniversary Sale 2018/2019.

Yes, definitely helpful! Haven't worn my LPs since last week when I first started having plantar fascitis/heel pain. Not sure what will happen with that...
Re: the Altra Lone Peaks, have you tried using a heel or even a full shoe insert? One of the other forum members (can't remember who now) has Lone Peaks and he was having issues until he placed a 6mm thick 'heel lift' under the (removable) inserts that come with the shoe which he said took care of the problem.

Re: the Altra Lone Peaks, have you tried using a heel or even a full shoe insert? One of the other forum members (can't remember who now) has Lone Peaks and he was having issues until he placed a 6mm thick 'heel lift' under the (removable) inserts that come with the shoe which he said took care of the problem.

That was me - my podiatrist recommended 5mm heel lifts in my LPs and they helped relieve my Achilles and heel pain considerably. I'm hesitant to say that would work for everyone but definitely recommend asking a podiatrist to see if it could help anyone experiencing a similar problem!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have been walking this week with a ULA photon, I think it's supposed to be around 28 l including the mesh pocket? My pack weight is 4.5 kg /10 lb and I know I'm going with less next time. 36 L is a bit large.

I'm looking for something smaller, closer to 22 L.

I have been walking this week with a ULA photon, I think it's supposed to be around 28 l including the mesh pocket? My pack weight is 4.5 kg /10 lb and I know I'm going with less next time. 36 L is a bit large.

I'm looking for something smaller, closer to 22 L.
A smaller pack (I found) isn’t necessarily more comfortable… I walked a pilgrimage in England staying only in hotels, my Tempest 20 which I normally use as a day pack was plenty big enough for what I needed. But no…. It wasn’t comfortable so I reverted to taking my Exos 48 - half empty of course.

Good luck.
I appreciate the suggestions. I too am just beginning my pack search. I’m 5’10” quite overweight (hibernation, you know), and high-waisted. Late 50’s with a CPAP (not the little one 🥺), big clothes for my big self, bad back and neck etc. etc. On my walks about the neighborhood, I carry just a cheapo book bag backpack but I have slowly gotten accustomed to carrying more and more weight. I’m up to 15 pounds now, and because I have always walked with a load, my back perceives it as normal. My hope is that I find a *real* pack that will allow me to carry my stuff correctly. I will have to carry about 20 pounds. We have a speciality place in town that carries Osprey. I’m thinking wheeled versions may not be ideal because trails and cobblestones are too bumpy? Also I doubt the extender handle comes up high enough that I won’t have to slouch over… I will do the Camino Francés next spring. Getting really excited to begin gathering my gear and getting used to doing a lot of walking!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I appreciate the suggestions. I too am just beginning my pack search. I’m 5’10” quite overweight (hibernation, you know), and high-waisted. Late 50’s with a CPAP (not the little one 🥺), big clothes for my big self, bad back and neck etc. etc. On my walks about the neighborhood, I carry just a cheapo book bag backpack but I have slowly gotten accustomed to carrying more and more weight. I’m up to 15 pounds now, and because I have always walked with a load, my back perceives it as normal. My hope is that I find a *real* pack that will allow me to carry my stuff correctly. I will have to carry about 20 pounds. We have a speciality place in town that carries Osprey. I’m thinking wheeled versions may not be ideal because trails and cobblestones are too bumpy? Also I doubt the extender handle comes up high enough that I won’t have to slouch over… I will do the Camino Francés next spring. Getting really excited to begin gathering my gear and getting used to doing a lot of walking!
Gregory now has a "plus size" collection of backpacks.

A smaller pack (I found) isn’t necessarily more comfortable… I walked a pilgrimage in England staying only in hotels, my Tempest 20 which I normally use as a day pack was plenty big enough for what I needed. But no…. It wasn’t comfortable so I reverted to taking my Exos 48 - half empty of course.
Makes sense. Whatever fits you well. I don't want to go off topic to the OP, I'd still like to find something a little smaller that fits my 19-in torso.

I have a 36 litre

I'm 5'1" and walked the camino Portuguese in 2017 with my husband (I was 66). I have an Osprey sirrus 36 litre that suited me very well. The outfitters store had excellent salespeople who knew how to fit me with the right sized pack. I'm short waisted too. We are tentatively planning the Del Norte in the fall and I will be using the same pack but I think I will leave the water bladder behind this time and just use a couple of water bottles.
We learned that there are some things that can be left at home.

€83,-
Thanks, @fernweh. Another poster recommended that same pack. Re the Lone Peaks, after walking in them for a about 6 weeks (not even hiking), the last time I came away with heel pain and a bit of Plantar Fascitis in my left foot... so will see if some added stuff will help or if I'll need to get another shoe...
Regarding heel pain from Topos, they have a deep conforming heel shape and feel nice and secure in the store.. In my experience other trail runners, with wear, they also compress in the heel area and make an excessively concave shape. As a consequence, natural spreading of the heel pad is limited and the arch “support“ presses excessively into the arch. My goal is a flat heel bed with room for the heel to spread (heel counters not tight). I grind off excess padding around the edges of the heel area on the insole as well as the arch area when I get them . I also bring an old insole to cut out a disc to fill in the heel indent later on the trail. I’m a physician, not a podiatrist, and find that pain and curiosity are good teachers. It’s often the “littles” that add up to cause mischief on these wonderful long hikes.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.