• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Section walking the camino - opinions

steve392

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, September 2016
Fisterra, July 2018
Hey guys.
I'm in the very early stages of planning my camino and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding whether to take 6 weeks off work from mid to late September of next year and completing all of whole route or walking it in sections by taking 2 or 3 trips throughout the year.
I would love to get your opinions on the pros and cons of walking the camino in sections. Which sections to walk in a 2 week period, where to start and finish etc, and the experiences of those who have done this themselves.
I look forward to your opinions.
Cheers all.
Steve.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think this is totally personal to you and your situation. I walked the route all at one time. But I met many, many people who were walking in sections. My gut says that if its possible to walk all at once that would be the best, but I know the "section walkers" we met really valued meeting many different folks and the ability to walk without feeling like they had to rush to fit their Camino in a limited time frame. Your general level of fitness as well as the time requirements might be a consideration. FYI, we were 55 and 58 when we walked, fairly fit, and we took 35 days (including one full rest day in Pamplona and 2 half days in Leon and Sahagun). Our goal was to keep our distances between about 22 and 27 km/day. Good luck with your decision. Liz

Many Europeans walk the Camino in sections because the cost of starting and stopping is not large. If you invest in a ticket from the USA, Australia/New Zealand, or South Africa, it can be costly to do sections! Both are great ways to do it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is completely up to you. Both are OK. But I will give you my preference:

I have had to abort/stop half way or so, and it was not a good feeling: It (the Way/experience) became sort of incomplete to me.
When I did the whole Camino, it was much more fullfilling. It also has to do with time: The longer you spend on the Camino, the more you (I) evolve with regards to where you are/what you are doing, if you get what I mean. Also, it changes your mindset: You know you are not doing it a part, but you are doing the whole thing. Inner peace, reflections, and the Camino spirit comes closer.

But that is only me and my subjective thoughts. Whatever you decide, I am sure it will be good for you.

Thanks Alex, you make a very valid point, this is one of the reasons I am struggling to make up my mind.
I want to do the camino to find that inner peace and have time to think, reflect and forget. The problem is that I will have to take my whole years worth of holiday entitlement to do so, leaving me with a long stretch of work without a break (9 months). On the other hand I can see the advantages of section walking the way as I could effectively use it as training, preparation and experience for a longer return trip in a couple of years.
Great input so far guys, many thanks

I once came across this:

The first week on the Camino, you struggle with blisters, too much in your backpack, bad physics and other practicalities.
The second week, you have come to peace with first week, and can enjoy the "ride".
From the third week and on, you enter Zen mode, and "get" it. You have also become a veteran on the Way,

It takes time to reach the mindset that you/we want to get into (call it inner peace if you like; good description), in order to really benefit from what the Camino has to offer us.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
My Camino's has always been complete ones except the lastlast. This was due to a non camino reunion in Madrid for 2 days so I though it would be a waste to fly in to Spain just for 2 days so instead added a 2 weeks walk.

It was suppose to be the tunnel route (complete) but I had a companion to walk with, someone I met before on the Camino now retired in Spain. He wanted to do the Camino Levant's so suddenly I became a section walker.

I concur that it would be best to finish the camino at one go if possible. As a section walker, I now have a push to return and also the challenge to logistics to get back to the small town to begin the next section.

As for the body mind spirit, it is better that for the first few caminos to do it in one go. After that it really doesn't matter other than the additonal expenses (trips) and logistics.

I would like to do the entire thing in one walk. But time/business owner/management do not allow it. I can either wait for retirement or spend a few thousand on a couple flights and complete it in sections. I know to many people that do not make it to retirement much less be in a condition to walk it.

The big struggle for me was to figure out which section or both or the northern route or a diferant one. This forum helpd tons. Your decision has to be one you want to live with. Mine was to start at SJPDP and get to where I get and come back to finish. If you have time, do not pressure yourself and let the options float to you find the one meant for you.

I waited ten years thinking I might get the chance to do it all in one go...but that proved nearly impossible. So I have been walking it in sections. I would love to do longer than 2 weeks but that is not feasible currently. But the time between sections is shaped by the camino...and the next time I return I have thought through many things that occurred to me while walking....so for me I think I probably have gained more out of it walking it in sections.
Then again I could comment that unless you have started walking at your own front door, the vast majority are in fact section hikers just doing a longer section from whatever starting point they pick.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It's nice hear from people who are/have, doing/done the camino in sections and are in the same boat as me as far as time is concerned (no, not your canoe WildWil ;)). I have to admit that I am airing on the side of walking it in sections with a hope of one day returning to do the complete route. I'm thinking that it's probably better to experience a small part of what is on offer than to procrastinate and never do it at all.
I do feel for those who have to pay a lot more in travel expenses to return on more than one occasion to complete it. 1000's of dollars sounds like a lot of money to me. Lucky I live a lot closer and can get cheaper flights.
Thanks once again guys and Buen camino.

There's nothing wrong with walking in sections but I don't know why anybody would do it if they were able to do it all at once. The best part of the camino is losing yourself in it, feeling like youve been doing it longer than you can remember and still have even longer to go. I can't really see an upside for sections if you have a choice (though I understand totally why many must do sections).

One piece of good advice I did hear on the camino for section people is to backtrack a bit each time. In other words if you go point 1 to point 7 the first time, starting on point 5 or 6 instead of point 8 the second time.....redoing a day or two to get yourself back into the flow before you hit "new" territory.

I am one of many who walk in sections, for the same reasons as you. I love it.
Two week stretches are plenty and the cost of flights to and from Spain is next to nothing.
I hope to complete a full camino when I finish the day job though :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
That' a tough call. I walked form SJPP to Finisterre and had some hiccups that maybe wouldn't have been so bad in sections (blisters the size of small rodents, really bad stomach flu), but I loved getting into the zone of the whole thing. I didn't have my return ticket booked, so I enjoyed choosing my distance each day on a whim. I felt bad for the people who had to do their 30k or whatever each day. So if I were choosing between a leisurely couple of weeks and a harried full camino, I might choose the section (even though picking one would feel impossible). On the other hand, most section walkers were jealous of the time I had to do the whole thing. Every day I think about the camino, and I'm planning my return to do at least as far as I did last time (depending on the euro cup because I want to catch a game), and I may even start further up in France.

I am lucky to be in the position that I am retired. My viewpoint simply reflects that. And I therefore never order a return ticket, but walk as I want- Agree with Ice on that. But I fully understand the position of those who have to do it in sections. My only regret for those is just the possibility of not coming into the "Zen sone" of walking the whole Way. But again; it is bettter to walk a portion and get the feeling of it, than not walk at all. The Camino is a far better place than a couch...;)

A German friend of mine walked from SJPP to Santa Domingo in September 2013. In April, 2014, he walked from Santa Domingo to Leon and he plans to complete the Leon to Santiago segment in September 2015. The experience will be best for you in whatever way it works into your life, so that you can empty yourself of all cares and remain open to the experience. For me, since I had to travel so far ($), it was the whole way at once, but I wouldn't claim superiority of either method.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and I walked the full route in one go but we had my niece with us for the first two weeks. She had to come home after two weeks for work and family reasons. Now all she can think of is getting back on the Camino and finishing but it may be a long time before she gets the chance to do so. The Camino is a long way from Australia. So my advice is, if you have the time, do the entire route, there are many reasons you may not get a chance to come back. Health, family commitments, politics, recession and your own finance.

My wife and I walked the full route in one go but we had my niece with us for the first two weeks. She had to come home after two weeks for work and family reasons. Now all she can think of is getting back on the Camino and finishing but it may be a long time before she gets the chance to do so. The Camino is a long way from Australia. So my advice is, if you have the time, do the entire route, there are many reasons you may not get a chance to come back. Health, family commitments, politics, recession and your own finance.

Lots of good suggestions here, but just to be clear -- walking the entire Camino Frances is no protection against that Camino yearning. Many of us who have been lucky enough to go from SJPP to Santiago in one continuous walk also suffer from that same desire to return, and will move mountains and change work and family schedules however possible to be able to get back on the Camino year after year. :eek: It may just be the start of a life long affliction.

Buen camino, Laurie

Steve-- I walked the Camino in sections due to unavoidable obligations at work and home. Knowing what I know now I can honestly say that, even if I have the time, doing the Camino in sections was the perfect way to do the Camino FOR ME. It meant a budget plan during the year, but planning, reading, focusing on the upcoming section every year was such a joy. Because I was able to take my time, I remember so vividly every single day on the Camino. I noticed that for many, after a while, the Camino became Kms/day; that was it. Every time I went back was like new and exciting. My best memories are the are the first day SJPDP-Roncesvalles (one of the best days of my life!), the Meseta in October, Triacastela-Sarria (Samos Route), and Molinaseca. Either way, te Camino deeply imprints in your brain and soul. Beware :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Steve-- I walked the Camino in sections due to unavoidable obligations at work and home. Knowing what I know now I can honestly say that, even if I have the time, doing the Camino in sections was the perfect way to do the Camino FOR ME. It meant a budget plan during the year, but planning, reading, focusing on the upcoming section every year was such a joy. Because I was able to take my time, I remember so vividly every single day on the Camino. I noticed that for many, after a while, the Camino became Kms/day; that was it. Every time I went back was like new and exciting. My best memories are the are the first day SJPDP-Roncesvalles (one of the best days of my life!), the Meseta in October, Triacastela-Sarria (Samos Route), and Molinaseca. Either way, te Camino deeply imprints in your brain and soul. Beware :)
I walked 3 sections this year.I intend to continue walking sections for the next few years. I am lucky ,I live in Ireland,so only a short ,cheap hop across to Spain.Plus I was lucky to be able to retire young.....so walking the Camino has now become a major part of my life ,not just a one off event.Planning between trips is as much part of it as actually being on the trail ! I do intend to walk the full Frances at some stage....as I want to experience every type of Camino. One thing I will say is its great to not be in any hurry....you can go at your own pace and wherever you stop you pick up from there again. Buen Camino

Last edited:
Many of us who have been lucky enough to go from SJPP to Santiago in one continuous walk also suffer from that same desire to return, and will move mountains and change work and family schedules however possible to be able to get back on the Camino year after year. :eek: It may just be the start of a life long affliction.

So true. We have Caminos planed every year for the next three years. We thought we would only ever walk one. We are addicted.

Great input from everyone with so many good points.
I am 99% sure now that i'll be walking my camino in sections. The fact that i'll have to work without a break for so long is a big factor for me and I do like the idea of returning time and again, taking my time without having to worry about finishing the whole camino in a limited time period. I can also fit in my regular trips to the national parks here in Britain as well. Hopefully I'll be able to do the whole thing one day, but for now I'm content with my choice.
Can't wait, bring in on.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.