• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Sept Norte

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct/Nov 2022_Mozarabe from Almeria
Day 4
Phew -still hanging in!
1st day out from Irun wasn't too hard as although my intention was to take high route , I was shoo'd along the other way. In hindsight better for me as not too prepared and it was beautifully shaded on a hot day
Stayed in Pasages de San Juan.
Good decision , small wonderful albergue 14 beds donativo. Hospitalero ( Mario) helped so much with advice for further along the way !
Day 2. Walked thru San Sebastián. Too big for me and very hot. Apparently later found I missed an escalator saving a bit of a climb
Stayed night 2 in Orio. Wow ! The most beautiful spot with locket grassy grounds and can include dinner and breakfast 7.30 an if you choose

Day 3. Stopped zarautz for paddle in ocean Nice beach
Walked on to zumaia as recommended by Mario to stop in Santa klara but overlooked booking and arriving 3 pm it was complete. Gorgeous place. Beautiful spot. Kept walking to 6 k short of Deba. Casa rurale (santaruan) waked with Irish couple. Euro 35 sknhhd and euro 5 0 double plus e12 for dinner. Food was good home cooking and although not Santa Klara it was nice to have sheets and private room

Day 4. Had been walking with
Irish couple training for marathon - on departure First 3/4 hr nearly killed myself and suggested we part ways at Deba. Very steep into Deba but I handle downhill much better Uphill plays havoc with my headspace . Am I deranged ? Until I find a smoother walk or downhill and I'm back in the moment

Leaving Deba locals have blacked out yellow arrows so czn be confusing. I had to backtrack at one point and ask directions I was told by Casa owner that it was related to rules re building so many metres from Camino. Hence some naughty locals.
Decided to call extra short day or walk further 5 hrs to Markina. Staying in new private place after hermita.
Lovely /clean choice to include dinner 8pm and breakfast. 7am

Quite a few here . Loads taxi'd
Here from Deba as all Albergues, hotels , and pensiones were completo by. 5pm. So appears Norte has peaks too

No rain yet !
Annie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Day 4
Phew -still hanging in!

Hi OzAnnie,
Sounds like you are having a good Camino so far. Thanks for the useful info. We will be about one week behind you, also not rushing.
I hope we wont have accommodation problems as I really dont like the idea of booking ahead.
Go well.
Buen Camino

Mendi
It would have been okay to follow black arrows but there were other choices /the wrong way also had yellow flechas so all good now but when you are hot and beat I'd rather ask than go the wrong way

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Now day 6. Enjoying that great time of evening eating and drinking and camaraderie . Staying in youth hostel at Gernika. It's been a good day from Markina /left 6.50 am and arrived at 1.30 but hostel didn't open until 3pm.
Price is euro. 19.50 which includes breakfast and 'top and bottom clean sheets '. 6 bunks in this room . Free wi fi.

Last night at municipal at Markina which was donativo. Hospitalero was doing it all alone. Amazing. About 40 pilgrims which included a few overflow mattresses.
In Markina, it was all booked out again. A few later arrivals taxi'd to 7 kilometres further on.

Although these hills are not as high as beginning of Frances from SJPDP. The hills keep coming !
It is definitely NOT a walk in the park it is (in my opinion ) very hard. . So far.
Put an incline in front of me past a certain degree and I am looking for an aeroplane out / 5 minutes later , the incline has decreased and I'm bouncing along with happy thoughts content
with my lot !!
Great lot of people. Spanish of course. Brits. Irish . Scots , USA . Japanese . Belgian , French , Iceland , and lots mire variety even Basque
Ps. I ve been test driving a macabi skirt ! Midnight blue. Short length which is long of course. They really beat trouser when walking in the heat .

Hi Annie -
It sounds so completely wonderful. Thanks for keeping us posted.
'Hoping that all continues to go really well for you -
Take joy in every step -
Jenny x

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@OzAnnie

Those are my mountains. Hope you enjoy .:)

Ondo Ibili !
Hi there Mendi. I am. Very much aware I am in your zona. Not sure I will be lucky enough to meet you tomorrow as is a working day for you I am currently moving along with 3 pilgrims (USA. UK and Iceland )
We are tonight in Lezama Still short of Bilbao in morning Uk guy needs new boots. as his are broken .
Had the best night in Lezamo. Dinner was around 20 pilgrims and 11 nationalities
I've been given nickname 'skippy. ' as I'm the only Ozzie in group
Not sure if I mentioned yet? French man today was bitten to the bone by Rottweiler dog and is in hospital. An English lass with us was there watching it and was in shock for herself.
Dogs were not on leads and on a walk

Gernika is well worth time if you have it.

Annie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After reading this I am going to quit my job and join Annie on the Norte. Anyone care to join me ? I wish!!!!! Thanks for sharing this is so neat reading your notes Annie!

Buen Camino
Very welcome jumpingin2014. You would already know that 'the more the merrier'
Last night 44 arrived for 22 available bunks. I ended up in overflow area. Hard night in tent. Even people disputing who got here first for a tent !
Also overflow in church (after 9pm it was opened. They slept on concrete. I think if people hung back a day it would even out.
Everyone is surprised at numbers.

Mendi
The numbers kept up. The Norte is very busy. Mostly people who have walked one or more caminos before. Yesterday left Guemes as one of the stragglers .

Even so st one point there were 13 visible on front of me and 3 behind.
Looked to be almost full at Guemes previous night. Everyone is very pleased with the care at this albergue

From my fitness point. , I am a case of a walking wounded.
This morning at Santander bus station contemplating next move.
Annie

Santander Alburgue is ( well run by some strict cookies. ) some described as Gestapo
A bit a a competition to find a plug to charge a phone or camera
Not allowed to hang or do any hand washing. I don't know they would handle a wave of pilgrims coming in from a storm ?

A lady I met today stayed at pension Isabel / single. 2o. Euro and said it was perfect and very close to central Albergue

Asked about Altamira caves. Not open Mondays.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Mendi
I asked about them at Santander tourismo. He said they were free on Sundays but from sept on the close at 3pm. So after finding accommodation there wasn't really a lot of time to walk the. 2 ks out there.

Also a German lady mentioned that they don't open the real ones to the public The ones you see are good but not the actuals. Quoting here say only.

Annie.

Very old quaint place here at santillana del mar

Annie:

You are bringing back a flood of memories for me, minus the crowds.

Glad to hear you are having good weather. The Norte gets easier the further in you get but there are still some challenging days until you get to Galacia. From that point on, I thought the route was relatively easy.

I agree with your statement on the Albergue in Orio.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Joe
I'm not even sure if I'll make it to Galicia this time.
Apart from having a fall 4 days ago between Liendo and Laredo /full body fall with knock to my forehead. I have a real panda right eye and bruising in shoulder. No real pain with that -just looks like ice been bashed
My problem is my shins. I bussed to here and part way yesterday. Trying to get a little further on foot as there is no camaraderie using bus .
I'll. see what tomorrow brings.
I'm in a pension tonight /ma Jesus which is e35 including breakfast
So should get good rest tonight

Annie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Altamira cave is limited to 5 people at a time. The visitors are chosen by a draw. I don´t know if the visit is daily. It is guided and max. time is 35mins.

Ondo Ibili !

Hola

Can you elaborate on this please?
When visited a couple of years ago, I was told the cave itself is closed to public, and only the museum with the replica is available.
Do I understand you right that it is possible to actually enter the cave by luck?

Gracias
Lettiggo

The Altamira cave has been recently opened to a very limited amount of visitors ( 5 visitors). The visits will be limited and controlled till Feb. 2015 when experts will decide whether to open the cave to visitors or not.

http://www.elmundo.es/ciencia/2014/09/12/54131dc9e2704e9b2f8b458c.html

Ondo Ibili !

Hola and thanks for the information.

When I was visiting the museum there were a lot of people and school classes, so I guess the system to limit visitor to the actual cave, in order to keep it preserved, makes sense.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Hi Annie -
I'm so sorry to hear about the fall and the shins situation. Will a couple of rest days and some physio help? I really hope so.
Take care and stay safe.
Thinking of you -
Jenny x

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Annie, I'm also on Norte in beautiful town of Ribadesella. My timing has been a little off. The sea was calm so I missed seeing the bygones or blow holes after Pendueles. It was still beautiful. Also missed seeing the Tito Bustillo Caves here because they are closed on Monday and Tuesday. I am also happy to say I have missed all rain so far, knock on wood. There are some great towns just ahead of you..
Comillas- Gaudi designed home, Marquis mansion,etc, San Vicente, Llanes, Ribadesella . Following a forum tip I stayed in a private room just over the bridge from Unquera. Take a right and go slightly uphill to restaurant El Rincon de Bustio, where you inquire about rooms. Pilgrim rate of 34E for great room just next door in apartment building. Also food at restaurant is multi star. Hope that your body recovers so that you can enjoy this great Camino. You are almost in Asturia.
Buen Camino
Rick

I
Hi Annie, I'm also on Norte in beautiful town of Ribadesella. My timing has been a little off. The sea was calm so I missed seeing the bygones or blow holes after Pendueles. It was still beautiful. Also missed seeing the Tito Bustillo Caves here because they are closed on Monday and Tuesday. I am also happy to say I have missed all rain so far, knock on wood. There are some great towns just ahead of you..
Comillas- Gaudi designed home, Marquis mansion,etc, San Vicente, Llanes, Ribadesella . Following a forum tip I stayed in a private room just over the bridge from Unquera. Take a right and go slightly uphill to restaurant El Rincon de Bustio, where you inquire about rooms. Pilgrim rate of 34E for great room just next door in apartment building. Also food at restaurant is multi star. Hope that your body recovers so that you can enjoy this great Camino. You are almost in Asturia.
Buen Camino
Rick
Hi Rickster
Can feel the pull badly on the shins even walking about without the heavy backpack.
I am in San Vincente de la Barquera
A really pretty interesting place .
I am at Arlburgue tonight
This medieval looking place is good for photos

Thanks for your feedback too.
Good to know there is a forum friend ahead.
Annie

For anyone interested in the Altamira caves it might help to do what we were advised to do.
You can buy your ticket for a chosen day in a branch of the Bank of Santander. We actually bought ours in Santander itself. This enables you to fast track the first kiosk/queue. You join the second queue which allocates you a time for the 'New cave' ie the replica. Visiting the museum is included in the price. The earlier you get there the sooner you will get to see the replica, but expect to have to spend several hours at the museum as a whole. If you just go without a ticket you may be queueing outside for a long while.
Many years ago we were able to get a permit to see the actual cave, and it is absolutely amazing. The replica is good and the museum is very interesting.

The cave of Tito Bustillo has a similar system but you can buy your tickets at the cave itself or by phone. At quiet times you might get in the same day, but we had to go the following day - again on a timed ticket. Well worth a visit and we were having a 'rest day'.

Annie I hope that your problems resolve themselves. If you want to shorten your walking day tomorrow you could do what we did
...........then continued along the roads to Pesues where we stopped for lunch at 13.30.
The extra 1.5kms needed to return from the hotel to the camino would have made walking to Unquera a longer day than we wanted. It was nearly 15.00 when we finished lunch, so we completed the journey to the Rio Deva ll, at Unquera, by taxi.
Next day we walked to Pendueles and the following day to Llanes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Apparently Tito Caves are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. At least that's what I was told when I arrived on Monday.

Annie, just now realizing you are out there on the Norte, thank you for the email letting me know or I. Would have missed this wonderful adventure. i just read your posts aloud to my kiddos, drooling for more.
Buen Camino!
Neve

Annie, the route sounds wonderful. Hope the shins get better. Sounds like a bit of tendonitis. Try changing shoes, maybe wear sandals, for a while. If it is it's a repetitive strain injury and sometimes resolves if you can change your gait.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had to tape my shins last year - shin splints from walking too fast the 2nd day on the road of the Camino Ingles. Another pilgrim told me to use sports tape (or duct tape, but that would hurt coming off) and wrap at least 2x around the leg, once at the base of the calf muscle (but above the Achilles tendon) and also around the biggest part. Her reason was that shin splints are caused by the calf muscle working too hard and not allowing the shin muscles to engage, so they get tired and sore. Taping pulls the muscles together to help everything engage. I looked pretty silly and ended up with some awesome tan lines, but taping plus some ibuprofen really helped, as the 3rd day was our longest and toughest. I don't know if your issue is shin splints, but if it is, I hope this helps! I'll be on the Norte later this month!

Thanks
Annie, the route sounds wonderful. Hope the shins get better. Sounds like a bit of tendonitis. Try changing shoes, maybe wear sandals, for a while. If it is it's a repetitive strain injury and sometimes resolves if you can change your gait.[/Q
Apparently Tito Caves are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. At least that's what I was told when I arrived on Monday.
thanks kanga
I have been gradually walking further each day. Using iboprufen , slathering Creme on the foot and calves. Using elastic bandage on the sore leg.
Using Vaseline on feet since beginning

Depending on the bend of the ankle when placing foot going down , can really hurt but have felt more confident each day. Not walking too far and resting the leg when I can.

Rickster , I'm a little amazed really, I know there was a public hol in Spain on Monday (at least where I was ). Noticed Tuesday a lot closed. I think siesta is the thing here. They know how to chill put. Today in Villaviciosa ( nice place too) and went to turismo. Sign reads. Closed viernes 19 September
Hard to fluke it sometime

But a beautiful country to walk thru

Then Norte is a real gem
Lovely day followed continually by lovelier day
(Excepting injuries and constant completos)
Scenery you can't beat.
1st week knocks you around if you're unfit (like me) .

The wave is still about. Only me at Casa Belen but last night at La Isla completo. People had to call for hotels at Colungra
So I ended up on couch at La Isla which turned out to be the best cama that night. The others in the dormitory didn't sleep well. Lucky
I booked ahead for Villaviciosa

Joe (jflavin ) gave me the inside info on hotel Carlos 1. Single room E20 pilgrim rate plus 1euro for pilgrim bfast

It's a lovely room
Muchas gracias Joe

Hi, Annie,
Enjoying your posts so much. I agree with those who say you probably have some tendonitis -- it's probably all the asphalt that did it. Someone once told me you can't get tendonitis walking on off-road surfaces because your foot strike varies with every step, unlike on pavement. Not sure if that's true, but I always search for off-road patches of dirt alongside roads.

One thing you might try is ice after walking. Go to a bar with a plastic bag, sit outside and ask for some ice cubes in the bag with your drink. I do it all the time, never a problem. I think the rule is that you shouldn't leave the ice on your shin longer than 15 minutes at a time, but I find it has great curing (and preventative) powers. I do it on any camino with a lot of asphalt. Elevation of the feet is also good.

If you're in Villaviciosa now, you have made or will soon make the decision about staying on the Norte or heading down to the Primitivo. You can't go wrong, which way are you going?

If you head towards Oviedo, I highly recommend a detour to visit the church at Valdedios, so beautiful. Buen camino from way across the ocean. Laurie

169-IMG_0304.JPG

172-IMG_0307.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Annie,
Enjoying your posts so much. I agree with those who say you probably have some tendonitis -- it's probably all the asphalt that did it. Someone once told me you can't get tendonitis walking on off-road surfaces because your foot strike varies with every step, unlike on pavement. Not sure if that's true, but I always search for off-road patches of dirt alongside roads.

One thing you might try is ice after walking. Go to a bar with a plastic bag, sit outside and ask for some ice cubes in the bag with your drink. I do it all the time, never a problem. I think the rule is that you shouldn't leave the ice on your shin longer than 15 minutes at a time, but I find it has great curing (and preventative) powers. I do it on any camino with a lot of asphalt. Elevation of the feet is also good.

If you're in Villaviciosa now, you have made or will soon make the decision about staying on the Norte or heading down to the Primitivo. You can't go wrong, which way are you going?

If you head towards Oviedo, I highly recommend a detour to visit the church at Valdedios, so beautiful. Buen camino from way across the ocean. Laurie

View attachment 13847

View attachment 13848
Hi Laurie
Great to get a message from so many of the 'highly esteemed on the forum'

As turismo was closed I walked to estacion de autobus. Nothing open there either. No timetables.
Returned to hotel here and reception is a real 'pearl'. Looked up timetables for me as I was contemplating a bus to Oviedo for a look if I don't (won't ) try the primitivo.
I've had some sound tips on pms and re my sore old leg suggested I bus from here to Aviles. So now have schedules for both options.

I've been walking better the past 3 days but it is a push and I'll restart the walk from Aviles

I had read your advice re ice before Laurie but forgot. I'll put it to use next walking day

It is still hot outside at 8.30pm
Really no need for anything but sleep liner so far. I could have saved that weight maybe but hey, Galicia is still to come
Annie

Annie, just now realizing you are out there on the Norte, thank you for the email letting me know or I. Would have missed this wonderful adventure. i just read your posts aloud to my kiddos, drooling for more.
Buen Camino!
Neve
Hey ho. Neve
Well it's wonderful. Only thing that could make it better would be to be as fit as you and injury free and maybe a little more company. But if I had more company I wouldn't have had the Spanish practise and french and German I've had. I've been having lessons for some time at home and my profesora told me to 'solo habla espanol' It's too easy to use English !

As I've walked beside some of the beaches in past few days I've thought of you 'making your way from cliff to beach ' 'collecting your glass'
No way could I have done that on top of getting from A to B. (This time anyway )

Also thought you will have a much better time next time with the children. I think that would be tops!
Annie

I'm trying to select a couple of pics from hundreds but not sure if it will work
I've included hotel Carlos 1. In Villaviciosa

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    837.2 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I had to tape my shins last year - shin splints from walking too fast the 2nd day on the road of the Camino Ingles. Another pilgrim told me to use sports tape (or duct tape, but that would hurt coming off) and wrap at least 2x around the leg, once at the base of the calf muscle (but above the Achilles tendon) and also around the biggest part. Her reason was that shin splints are caused by the calf muscle working too hard and not allowing the shin muscles to engage, so they get tired and sore. Taping pulls the muscles together to help everything engage. I looked pretty silly and ended up with some awesome tan lines, but taping plus some ibuprofen really helped, as the 3rd day was our longest and toughest. I don't know if your issue is shin splints, but if it is, I hope this helps! I'll be on the Norte later this month!
Very helpful Advice
I would nt be game to tape my legs. I'd do it wrong for sure. I've got elastic bandage and using Voltaren gel and iboprufen I feel on the improve
People do the double take when they see my black eye though when I forget and take my glasses off ! It's been 8 and half days since but to me it looks darker now. It will fade when it's ready.
Annie

Also Laurie.
Re choice of staying with the Norte. Wouldn't you agree that the climbs would be more taxing on the primitivo ( trying to choose the most sensible option (I know there are many who will say I'll miss a beautiful primitivo ) but if I hurt my leg anymore it may be 'that's all '
Annie

Also Laurie.
Re choice of staying with the Norte. Wouldn't you agree that the climbs would be more taxing on the primitivo ( trying to choose the most sensible option (I know there are many who will say I'll miss a beautiful primitivo ) but if I hurt my leg anymore it may be 'that's all '
Annie

Hi, Annie,
Yes I think the Primitivo has more elevation gain and descent than the Norte from here on. And my memory is that there's a big difference. What I am not able to tell you is which has more asphalt, because if you are suffering from tendonitis, it's the asphalt that's killing you not the ascents and descents.

Don't worry about missing the Primitivo. Next time you can come back, start in Leon and walk the Salvador to Oviedo and then start the Primitivo. :)

Get some ice on your shins as soon as humanly possible, before your next walking day, that's my advice anyway. Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Also Laurie.
Annie

Stay on Norte Annie as Laurie said.
There is a nice place just out of Ribadeo , 7km , which allows the following days to be easy walking.
You will have to stop @ Miraz as thats the long one if you miss there but they helped many with transport when it was full.
Its a lovely stop and hotels are the go after you leave Ribadeo.
The Frances will be full when you arrive in Arzua , you will hear them from afar Annie,

Take your time and enjoy mate,
David

Hey ho. Neve
Well it's wonderful. Only thing that could make it better would be to be as fit as you and injury free and maybe a little more company. But if I had more company I wouldn't have had the Spanish practise and french and German I've had. I've been having lessons for some time at home and my profesora told me to 'solo habla espanol' It's too easy to use English !

As I've walked beside some of the beaches in past few days I've thought of you 'making your way from cliff to beach ' 'collecting your glass'
No way could I have done that on top of getting from A to B. (This time anyway )

Also thought you will have a much better time next time with the children. I think that would be tops!
Annie
I never felt "fit", you know the Norte kicked my bootie on more than one occassion. I just like to walk long days so it kind of hid that some :)
I am so thrilled to see you out there! You are an AMAZING trooper! So proud of you!
I just put my precious sea glass in a new bowl this week and memories just flooded me.
I can't wait to get back out there with my little ones! Following you is getting me excited!

Hugs,
Neve

I'm trying to select a couple of pics from hundreds but not sure if it will work
I've included hotel Carlos 1. In Villaviciosa
Stunning pictures!
Where was that last one taken? the one with the boats in the water (or what is left of them)...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Stay on Norte Annie as Laurie said.
There is a nice place just out of Ribadeo , 7km , which allows the following days to be easy walking.
You will have to stop @ Miraz as thats the long one if you miss there but they helped many with transport when it was full.
Its a lovely stop and hotels are the go after you leave Ribadeo.
The Frances will be full when you arrive in Arzua , you will hear them from afar Annie,

Take your time and enjoy mate,
David
There is a small restaurant the stage after Miraz where there is ONE table...the meal I ate there will forever stay with me.
The lady/cook/owner kept throwing food at me (in a good way). My French friend said it was because I appreciated her cooking so much.
I fell in love with that lady...

Just clicked on forum
Left Tapia de Casariiego
Beautiful spot. Even vegged out I'm the arvo on the beach.
Arrived Ribadeo 11am. May wander another 7 k. But haven't decided
I had been walking with others who want to do another 24clicks today. I have enough time to go slower so waved them off. They were beaut walking companions but I have their emails

Choice a couple of days ago was to stop at Luarca or on to Penieres.
We went to Alburge at pinieres. Not a good night.

Asturias was a gorgeous section of the Norte
Now in Galicia

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    943.9 KB · Views: 6
Neve. Boat picture I think was leaving ribadisella ?

Today inRibadeo
I have see some gob smacking views along the Asturias coast

My legs have got stronger. Pain mainly first few hours after sleep but on the whole I'm feeling much fitter.

I will try to post a couple of shots from last days. Alburge at Tapia de Casariego has a prime spot /perfect view
I took pic of evening and sunset
Donativo Alburgue there.

Hi David
Fluked it. Just reading back and you mentioned the place 7ks from Ribadeo

I'm here now. Plenty of beds. Clean
My recent walking pals were heading for Gontan? (Spelling ?) they would have arrived late and walked hard. I hope they got a bed

This quiet Alburge is really comfy. . I think it's Vilela ?

It will make tomorrow softer. !

I think I'm doing fine now.
Annie

Now in Galicia too. Shells now point in other direction

Way marking in previous 2 to 3 days was wee bit confusing

Must tell you about Casa Carmen
2 klms further on the Mondonedro but it isn't in the Cicerone guide.
I was told about it but Mondonedro was my limit yesterday. This morning I came upon it and had breakfast here
Magic stop. There were 3 pilgrims here from 2 nights ago

Carmen is an artist. It is donativo
Sells art. Accom for approx 8
She cooks dinner and bfast. Has her own garden makes her own jam and honey
After walking Camino realised she did not want to continue working for NGO 's in sth America as anthropologist. She feels now there is much magic in the world to all of us who are open to it

Stop off and have a coffee. She may be away from 16th oct for a week though

Annie.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Mendi
I asked about them at Santander tourismo. He said they were free on Sundays but from sept on the close at 3pm. So after finding accommodation there wasn't really a lot of time to walk the. 2 ks out there.

Also a German lady mentioned that they don't open the real ones to the public The ones you see are good but not the actuals. Quoting here say only.

Annie.

Very old quaint place here at santillana del mar

Altamira caves have been closed to the public for a good 30 years, to protect them from degradation. But the museum has a replica of it on the grounds. It's free and only 1.5 km out of Santillana, a lovely stroll up the hills ;0) Every Friday there is a draw amongst people present at 9am to allow 5 people in, for 30 minutes. Apparently two couples are there, and have been there, on a regular basis, one from Madrid and the other from quite a distance away and they have yet to win the draw.

Hi, Annie,

View attachment 13847

View attachment 13848

I heard about the Camino Olvidado from the hospitaleras in Pobena. I notice your pictures are from that route. I would love to learn more about it if you don't mind. Perhaps a new thread?

I heard about the Camino Olvidado from the hospitaleras in Pobena. I notice your pictures are from that route. I would love to learn more about it if you don't mind. Perhaps a new thread?

Hi, anemone, there are a couple of threads. (sorry to take this off topic)

my scattered comments as I was walking: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/starting-the-camino-olvidado-tomorrow.27223/

My stages written up post-camino: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...dado-viejo-camino-camino-de-la-montaña.28456/

We will have a "guide" in English ready for others in a month or so, I imagine. My walking partner had to stop in Aguilar, and she has just returned home from a return trip to complete the Aguilar-Ponferrada portion. So we will be putting our heads together soon on the guide. GPS tracks available at wikiloc under my name peregrina2000 and her name caminosusanna.

OzAnnie:

When you leave Baamonde make sure you bring food for the night to cook. Miraz has a nice Albergue but no food. There is a bar but only sandwiches. It is a short day so no need to leave early.

The monastery in Sobrado dos Monxes is an interesting stop. If you get there early, do not shower till after 4:30. The hot water is off until then. Lots of restaurants to choose from here. Then the Frances, I walked through to Salcedo but that is 34 km's. I wanted a shorter day to Santiago and happy I made that decision. It rained the entire day.

Glad to hear you are holding up. Wish I was walking with you.

Ultreya,
Joe

A pic or two from Casa Carmen
OzAnnie:

When you leave Baamonde make sure you bring food for the night to cook. Miraz has a nice Albergue but no food. There is a bar but only sandwiches. It is a short day so no need to leave early.

The monastery in Sobrado dos Monxes is an interesting stop. If you get there early, do not shower till after 4:30. The hot water is off until then. Lots of restaurants to choose from here. Then the Frances, I walked through to Salcedo but that is 34 km's. I wanted a shorter day to Santiago and happy I made that decision. It rained the entire day.

Ultreya,
Joe
hi joe
I was thinking of asking about the stops ahead to walk
So your post is timed well ! Thanks

What is this about cooking tho?
Hmm. Well see

Alburge in Gontan has all the necessary
Also clean. 24 beds. It was a short day because I stopped and talked /had coffees with Carmen.

Ps her stop is actually Casa bisonte

I will put more details on an accomm thread if I find one later

I think I'm down to about 140ks. I feel good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Must tell you about Casa Carmen
2 klms further on the Mondonedro but it isn't in the Cicerone guide.
I was told about it but Mondonedro was my limit yesterday. This morning I came upon it and had breakfast here
Magic stop. There were 3 pilgrims here from 2 nights ago

Carmen is an artist. It is donativo
Sells art. Accom for approx 8
She cooks dinner and bfast. Has her own garden makes her own jam and honey
After walking Camino realised she did not want to continue working for NGO 's in sth America as anthropologist. She feels now there is much magic in the world to all of us who are open to it

Stop off and have a coffee. She may be away from 16th oct for a week though

Annie.

Annie,
So glad that you met Carmen...I dedicated a thread just to her.
I REALLY enjoyed my time with her over coffee, almost justified stopping way before my time upon meeting her.

Here is my thread about this wonderful Camino spot
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...km-after-mondonedo-galacia.26318/#post-210026

Hi Annie -

Great to hear that all's going so well now. We're all thinking of you in Sydney and will have a toast to you on Saturday at the 'Rissole'!

Cheers - Jenny

I think I'm down to about 140ks. I feel good.
That's so good to hear Annie. What an experience you've had! Still, you always come up smiling.

The landscape out of Miraz was one of my favourites of the last part of the Norte. Normally I prefer to be surrounded by trees but that section has a marvellous savagery about it. Just thinking about it makes me want to head back.

€46,-
OzAnnie:

Ultreya,
Joe

OzAnnie:

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi Annie
What Joe says about no food available in Miraz was true a while ago, but the bar there now has basic foodstuffs available for purchase for cooking in the albergue. There are no meals available in Miraz as there are no restaurants, so the only hot meals will be cooked in the albergue kitchen, which IMHO is the best kitchen I have seen on any camino.
Sobrado Monastory is a great stay, but be aware that it shuts the doors at 13.30 for 3 hours so it is a brisk walk from Miraz if you are to arrive by then. The doors reopen at 16.30 which is when most people will book in. By the way, the bells which sound like they are directly above the dormitory stop tolling at 22.30, and resume next morning at 7.00.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Annie, the albergue at Miraz is lovely - light and open. I arrived a couple of hours before opening time but it was no hardship to while away the time chatting with other pilgrims in the bar.

Don't be too perturbed about the need to cook. Walking alone has its advantages and I had two invitations to dinner - of course I had already accepted the first one when the second was offered!

I had intended to stay at the Monastery in Sobrado and again hung around chatting until opening time. Walked in with a couple of others, registered, went to the dorms and found them rather cramped and dark. The four of us left and went to a private albergue - again it was light and open.

The first half of this year was tough going on the elderly parent front which is perhaps why I was attracted to the light, open places rather than the heavy, darkness of stone which I usually find cosy and atmospheric. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the private albergue but there is directional signage to it and I just wanted to let you know that there was another option to the Monastery if you wanted it.

I stayed at Sobrado in 2010, the main albergue room is a more modern addition to the complex, wooden floors, a kitchen, two doors one leading to the cloisters and the other an open field area and there are a few windows giving a slight light feel. But the other rooms, which I stayed in one of them are dark and dingy with a lot of damp going on. If you are among the 1st 60 pilgrims you will be in the better room, the next 60 go into the other.
Good Luck

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I stayed at Sobrado in 2010, the main albergue room is a more modern addition to the complex, wooden floors, a kitchen, two doors one leading to the cloisters and the other an open field area and there are a few windows giving a slight light feel. But the other rooms, which I stayed in one of them are dark and dingy with a lot of damp going on. If you are among the 1st 60 pilgrims you will be in the better room, the next 60 go into the other.
Good Luck
I hope I don't sound like an eternal nay-sayer! When I stayed at Sobrado in 2013 the section of which Mike speaks was closed, with only the kitchen area and washing machine area in use. I stayed there in 2009 and it certainly was much lighter than the other dormitory areas. The door leading out to the field [and clothes lines] was locked at night time by one of the monks. The shower area, walls and all, was hosed out early in the morning, so it was difficult to find a place to put clothes without getting them wet.

Friends of mine from Miraz stayed in the private albergue and gave it very good reviews. It is indeed well sign posted on the way into town.

Alan

Hi there Mendi. I am. Very much aware I am in your zona. Not sure I will be lucky enough to meet you tomorrow as is a working day for you I am currently moving along with 3 pilgrims (USA. UK and Iceland )
We are tonight in Lezama Still short of Bilbao in morning Uk guy needs new boots. as his are broken .
Had the best night in Lezamo. Dinner was around 20 pilgrims and 11 nationalities
I've been given nickname 'skippy. ' as I'm the only Ozzie in group
Not sure if I mentioned yet? French man today was bitten to the bone by Rottweiler dog and is in hospital. An English lass with us was there watching it and was in shock for herself.
Dogs were not on leads and on a walk

Gernika is well worth time if you have it.

Annie
Hi OzAnnie
I am Aussie as well, wondering how you got to Norte start.
I will be starting 1st November , but still unsure best way to get there.
ie: brisbane to madrid then train to Irun, or brisbane to Biarritz then bus to Irun.
I did camino Frances Oct 2013 and am really excited to get back on the Camino.
Any advice would be a big help.

Cheers
Yarma

Hi OzAnnie
ie: brisbane to madrid then train to Irun, or brisbane to Biarritz then bus to Irun.

Cheers
Yarma

Hi, try this link for travel within Spain to Irun www.caminodesantiago.consumer.es/como-llegar/a-irun

If you can fly direct to Biarritz then it is very easy to get to Irun, the train goes to Hendaye and is a short walk over the Ponte St Jacques and into Irun and the albergue. This is the traditional start to the Norte.

Hi OzAnnie

Cheers
Yarma
Hi yarma
Mike varseys advice is all u need I think
Your ideas quoted are both fine. Comes down to flights you get out of oz
I flew into Barcelona. I trained to Irun because I felt like a train. Flight BCN to Irun us quicker tho
Buen Camino

Thanks Julie
Just wtot
Annie, the albergue at Miraz is lovely - light and open. I arrived a couple of hours before opening time but it was no hardship to while away the time chatting with other pilgrims in the bar.

Don't be too perturbed about the need to cook. Walking alone has its advantages and I had two invitations to dinner - of course I had already accepted the first one when the second was offered!

I had intended to stay at the Monastery in Sobrado and again hung around chatting until opening time. Walked in with a couple of others, registered, went to the dorms and found them rather cramped and dark. The four of us left and went to a private albergue - again it was light and open.

The first half of this year was tough going on the elderly parent front which is perhaps why I was attracted to the light, open places rather than the heavy, darkness of stone which I usually find cosy and atmospheric. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the private albergue but there is directional signage to it and I just wanted to let you know that there was another option to the Monastery if you wanted it.
thanks Julie
I have just made a note.
I'm now in Baamonde which is soooo very clean.

Thanks Alan
I'm writing all info in my journal
Hi Annie
What Joe says about no food available in Miraz was true a while ago, but the bar there now has basic foodstuffs available for purchase for cooking in the albergue. There are no meals available in Miraz as there are no restaurants, so the only hot meals will be cooked in the albergue kitchen, which IMHO is the best kitchen I have seen on any camino.
Sobrado Monastory is a great stay, but be aware that it shuts the doors at 13.30 for 3 hours so it is a brisk walk from Miraz if you are to arrive by then. The doors reopen at 16.30 which is when most people will book in. By the way, the bells which sound like they are directly above the dormitory stop tolling at 22.30, and resume next morning at 7.00.

Alan

Thanks Alan

I'm writing all info so I have access when I need it. No wifi here. So using
My Spanish sim at moment

Note. Wifi available
At Gontan and also Vilalba Alburgue

Annie

Hi, Annie,
Wow, you are getting close. So glad that you are doing well and seem to be walking strong! I'm reading several blogs now of people on other caminos, and I have this image of people all pushing closer step by step to Santiago on a variety of radiating paths. Hope your last few days on the camino are joy-filled, mixed of course with that inevitable regret that the camino is coming to an end.

BTW, following along with you brings back memories of my Norte, which was a long time ago, but I just had to go back to my pictures because I have an image of the most magnificent stone walls I've ever seen on a Camino. And sure enough, there was a picture. I just thought these were amazing. Buen camino, peregrina! Laurie

248-IMG_0383.JPG

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Its hard to sell the Norte, its bit like Vegemite, you either can't stand it or you love it. A lot of pilgrims I met on the Primtivo this year were glad to have turned of it at Oviedo, but the section from Ribadeo to Sobrado is really beautiful.

Its hard to sell the Norte, its bit like Vegemite, you either can't stand it or you love it. A lot of pilgrims I met on the Primtivo this year were glad to have turned of it at Oviedo, but the section from Ribadeo to Sobrado is really beautiful.
I did both...I ventured to Oviedo and so happy I did, and then worked my way back up to the Norte.
I'm not certain I would have made that decision if I was not certain that I would do the Primitivo one day...

Since it was such a short day from Baamonde arrived Miraz early before 1pm even though I took it slow

A number decided to plod on as it is a long wait to opening.
3 or 4pm?

Julie
For next stop - the other albergue
Mentioned in cicerone guide maybe the one you ended in. Canu remember if there was a big distance between them. ?

Annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Miraz. 1-10-14.
CSJ alburgue filled. A couple of people had to go in an overflow. A hall of some sort but no mattresses. Just used the sleep mat.
They said they weren't entitled to use kitchen facilities as they weren't In the albergue. Not sure if this story is correct but is how they understood it

Alan
Great kitchen set up. Great. Albergue
Good to speak to some English !
A very nice arvo and night/ breakfast

I can not verify if this is the case, but in the latest CSJ quarterly, it mentioned the problems they had at Miraz with not complying with the Galacian/Spanish tourism requirements, they had a visit from the police to see if they had ( by law) a complaints forms, this was after a peregrino went to them because miraz would not give him breakfast at 4am. I was talking to someone from CSJ at the latest Camigos get together, and seems that checks are quite strict and frequent from the Galician authorities, it is possible that the pilgrims in the overflow suffered slightly from the need for Miraz to stay within the law.

€46,-
I can not verify if this is the case, but in the latest CSJ quarterly, it mentioned the problems they had at Miraz with not complying with the Galacian/Spanish tourism requirements, they had a visit from the police to see if they had ( by law) a complaints forms, this was after a peregrino went to them because miraz would not give him breakfast at 4am. I was talking to someone from CSJ at the latest Camigos get together, and seems that checks are quite strict and frequent from the Galician authorities, it is possible that the pilgrims in the overflow suffered slightly from the need for Miraz to stay within the law.
Hi Mike
I saw the Belgians this morning in the kitchen and asked them again about the confusion. She seemed okay to eat her breakfast at the csj albergue this morning !

There are 3 English hospitaleros there and they are lovely. I did speak to one about the wonderful array of kitchen equipment and why Baamonde had zilch . She told me they have frequent inspections and she believes the lack of equipment is due to the tough inspections regarding health and safety??

Views were hindered

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Annie. Miss you and wish I was there with you. We sure had a good time together and thank you for all these information you put in here. Take care and love from Iceland
The forum and Camino bring all the world together Runa.
You could be 5 minutes from me with the wonders of internet

Glad to hear from you. Timing was not right for you this year. When you have dealt with your loss you may come back to finish the Norte. It is a real winner, in my opinion
I'm glad to now have a friend in Iceland!

It was a good time with yourself & the poms and the yank !

Love Annie

Hi Annie

You know how to bring back the memories! Thanks for posting.

When I worked at Miraz any pilgrims who missed out on a bed were given the opportunity of asking the caretaker of the church if they could sleep on the floor there. This ties in with them having to use their bed roles. They would also be offered breakfast next morning after being informed that a donation toward it would be appreciated [Miraz is donativo]. If this did not suit, a hospitalero could ring a nearby Casa Rural who would send a car to pick them up, give them a meal and a bed for the night, and then bring them back in the morning so that they did not miss any of the walking.

At least in Baamonde there are other options in town to have a meal. Not so in Miraz, with the albergue kitchen the only place to find a hot dinner, and I remember well the cacophany of different languages as dinner was being prepared.

Oh, and the Russian folk dancers. they were special!

Alan

Hi, try this link for travel within Spain to Irun www.caminodesantiago.consumer.es/como-llegar/a-irun

If you can fly direct to Biarritz then it is very easy to get to Irun, the train goes to Hendaye and is a short walk over the Ponte St Jacques and into Irun and the albergue. This is the traditional start to the Norte.
Thanks for the link Mike. I also have a plan to possibly start walking from Madrid up to Gijon then down to SDC. I need to get act together as I plan to be there 1/11 ... ppfftt

€149,-
Hi Annie really enjoying your snippets from the norte ..it is a very special camino and brings back great memories. We also had many different languages spoken ! Then also we enjoyed talking English again at Miraz! We too loved the Galicia part felt good to be in mountains again..and by then you are really fit. How was all the signage - we managed to get a bit lost inadvertently a couple of times. Cheers Jill

Hi Annie really enjoying your snippets from the norte ..it is a very special camino and brings back great memories. We also had many different languages spoken ! Then also we enjoyed talking English again at Miraz! We too loved the Galicia part felt good to be in mountains again..and by then you are really fit. How was all the signage - we managed to get a bit lost inadvertently a couple of times. Cheers Jill
Hi Jill
It's catching up with me now !
Even with the earlier etapes in bus when I couldn't take weight on my foot I've still walked an awful long way. I think my legs and feet have been reading the guide book and know SdC is close. , and are 'folding up' ! Today I really needed that midday break. Found a dry spot and took shoes off and raised the legs on my backpack. When it's hot you really get a bit wobbly and tired (I do anyway ).
I know it wasn't a huge distance ( 22 k ? I think ??) but for some reason I felt it. No cool misty morning. Sunny all day. the blisters are just starting. , so you're thinking every time your foot moves.

I tried to book San Martin Pinario for arrival on Sunday No individual rooms left only doubles. E40
Which compares ok with the quoted accom in cicerone guide

Annie

Hi Jill
It's catching up with me now !
Even with the earlier etapes in bus when I couldn't take weight on my foot I've still walked an awful long way. I think my legs and feet have been reading the guide book and know SdC is close. , and are 'folding up' ! Today I really needed that midday break. Found a dry spot and took shoes off and raised the legs on my backpack. When it's hot you really get a bit wobbly and tired (I do anyway ).
I know it wasn't a huge distance ( 22 k ? I think ??) but for some reason I felt it. No cool misty morning. Sunny all day. the blisters are just starting. , so you're thinking every time your foot moves.

I tried to book San Martin Pinario for arrival on Sunday No individual rooms left only doubles. E40
Which compares ok with the quoted accom in cicerone guide

Annie
Hi Annie

If it is a twin room perhaps you can find a travelling companion to share the room? And halve the cost to 20 euro?

Alan

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Annie
I've been following your journey on this forum all through September. It sounds really fantastic. If you remember I saw you in Pasajes . I was walking with Jenny and we were only walking for a week to Deba. It is also good to hear of Runa , who we met in Orio. Hearing your story just encourages me to want to get much further on with el Norte in 2015. Congratulations for hanging in all the way. Love Maggie

Hi Annie
I've been following your journey on this forum all through September. It sounds really fantastic. If you remember I saw you in Pasajes . I was walking with Jenny and we were only walking for a week to Deba. It is also good to hear of Runa , who we met in Orio. Hearing your story just encourages me to want to get much further on with el Norte in 2015. Congratulations for hanging in all the way. Love Maggie
Hi Maggie
10 points to all those who walk on to Finisterre ! My feet/legs will know they have done their duty upon reaching SdC tomorrow. I thank them for getting me there
Thank you so much for the encouragement Maggie , it means a lot to me .
I hope you get back for more. A little at a time is great if you live close enough. You can stay positive .
From fellow walker (a wonderful Japanese gentleman named 'Ogawa'. Stayed last night of his walk 8 ks out from SdC. At Hostal San Piao.
E30 for single room. Seems quite good. Has wifi and not a big walk in the morning
We had rain today but when most of the heavier rain fell I was partaking of coffee.

It was actually okay to walk in light rain this arvo. Better than the heat of yesterday
It was nice to hear a little of the English language this morning Swathes of walkers left from Arzua this morning
I could hear the Irish sense if humour ! I like the Irish.
I Mostly walked alone still today ,as the ones on a mission went into overdrive and the others seemed to stay behind or were frightened off by the rain and stopped.

Yesterday I tried to purchase some shoes (for after Camino ) and my 'travel card 'which is the Ozzie version of pre purchased overseas currency/ was declined so I paid cash and thought I'd withdraw some euros for the 1st time this Camino You may guess what happened. P/word was okay but when I asked for withdrawal it kept my card and gave me a note to contact my bank at home. Being Friday , the bank in Arzua would not be open until Monday. I was to stopping until Monday-so will follow up at home. Prob expired !
I always carry alternative means so I have my home currency credit card and key card. So I am not stuck , plus I still have sufficient euros to carry me until next week
Just a nuisance as I have to pay fees and conversion costs using my Ozzie cards Better than not having funds but I had double and triple checked with Anz bank before leaving and asked if the times it had expired I was assured all was fine. No problem. They even checked with me that the password worked and I could get a account balance !

So be warned ozzies - Don't rely only on the o/s currency card.

Annie

Last edited:
Made it in to Santiago de Compostela this morning at 9.45am

I have my 3 certificates.
My compostela
My certificate of distance
(Both these from the pilgrim office on arrival )

And the special certificate issued for 2014 by Franciscan

Got to pilgrim mass by 11.25 and it was already overflowing for midday !
Managed a spot on the step

I think tomorrow should be less packed. Today being a Sunday had many extra tourists and others adding to the huge numbers of pilgrims

Annie

Well done Annie! I've really liked following your journey. Time for celebration, rest and reflection! Enjoy!

BRAVA!!!!
Well done! Loved following your adventures, thank you for taking us along!
My mind right now is all Camino....hungry to go back!

Annie Many Congratulations. I'm so glad you made it . You made it on a Sunday so everything is more crowded. Tomorrow Monday is my birthday and maybe you'll go back again when its less crowded. Safe travels back to Sydney. Lots of Love Maggie x

Congratulations, Annie. Hope you enjoy Santiago, but my guess is that you'll have a bit of post-camino blahs. I have enjoyed reading your posts and following from afar. Thanks for keeping in touch so those of us who are far from the camino can enjoy it vicariously. Buen camino, Laurie

Well done Annie, you really deserve that Compostela - dogged determination in overcoming the leg pain. Hope you sort out the travel money card problem but have to tell you today in Oz its a public holiday (Labour Day) with banks all closed....

Annie I'm also appreciating the description of the Norte. I'm tentatively planning to divert to the Primitivo but good to know the "easier" alternative is still lovely. We may have knee issues to contend with.

Last edited:
Thanks all
Falcon
I had intended hopping a bus today to Finistere but decided 2 nights there will do me so I can check out the Monday pilgrim mass
Thanks kanga
My daughter was going to check out bank from that end. Nice to know why I didn't hear us because if bank hol there !
Also check my other Ozzie cards here today. Might even have time for hairdresser

Neve (she follows shells ). You're a strong one. I hope the littlies love it as much as you do
You've got the much needed enthusiasm. That I think goes a long way

My feet are happy to take a rest
Dined last night with the Belgium couple that were the unlucky pair at Csj at Miraz. The male has been walking almost 3 mths from his home in Belgium and his wife joined him along the Norte
They are both walking to Finisterre /Muxia today. Ps. It was raining earlier !
Back to reality for me though.
Annie

Well done indeed!

Made it in to Santiago de Compostela this morning at 9.45am

I have my 3 certificates.
My compostela
My certificate of distance
(Both these from the pilgrim office on arrival )

And the special certificate issued for 2014 by Franciscan

Got to pilgrim mass by 11.25 and it was already overflowing for midday !
Managed a spot on the step

I think tomorrow should be less packed. Today being a Sunday had many extra tourists and others adding to the huge numbers of pilgrims

Annie
Dear Annie. I am so happy for you. Wish I could have been there with you. Who knows if we meet somewhere again and take a walk together, I would love that.
Take care and have a safe journey back home.
love from Iceland

OzAnnie:

I never had a doubt you would make it. Congratulations and maybe I will see you on a future walk. Only 6 more months to my next walk.

Ultreya,
Joe

Tks Runa
It's raining today and rain expected around SdC ( I believe ) for a few days so staying in town for another couple of nights.
Met Les's plastic people. I won't mention names. Had the greatest meal today and are meeting up with all northerners who may be kicking around SdC 8pm for anyone and see what happens later

If you want to walk it will happen

Annie

Bumped into TREVORCC
From forum making his way in this morning

Only after speaking with him (during my Camino tragic coffee break this morning opposite pilgrim office ) did I ask whether he used the four and found out I was speaking to a fellow forum member. (Also from Oz)
Great feeling

€83,-
Where will your next Camino be Joe?

Annie:

I will be walking the Portuguese in late March or early April. Whether I walk from Lisbon or Porto will be decided by how many days My wife will let me take^^ and how long I can be away from my Granddaughter :).

How about you?

Ultreya,
Joe

Dear Annie. I am so happy for you. Wish I could have been there with you. Who knows if we meet somewhere again and take a walk together, I would love that.
Take care and have a safe journey back home.
love from Iceland

Congrats Annie I knew you could do it . The walk sounds fantastic was it better than Camino France ? Talk soon

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Annie:

I will be walking the Portuguese in late March or early April. Whether I walk from Lisbon or Porto will be decided by how many days My wife will let me take^^ and how long I can be away from my Granddaughter :).

How about you?

Ultreya,
Joe
Joe
Portuguese from Porto was the first Camino for me
Whether it being the 1st, or the people not sure but it lured me back the following year to the Frsnces

It will be a walk in the park for you after the. Norte but nothing wrong with that

Magwood has a great blog of her Portuguese Camino. She did the whole wag from Lisbon

Me, I think I need to think about it for a while and maybe let time pass

Maybe in 2 yrs time ??
Thank you for your help
On my Camino Norte Joe

I fly out SdC tomorrow. All done
Annie

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.