• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sharing the Camino Spirit - Global Pilgrim BnB ? - Probably a Crazy Idea

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
OK, here's a thought...

Might be a crazy idea (probably is) and it sure has a few holes in it, but it might create an interesting discussion.

Recently I had a very nice PM from a forum member offering accommodation on a planned trip to the USA. I happened to mention recently in a post that a trip to the USA would preclude a Camino next year. Hence the offer. It would actually be a lot of fun staying with another Forum member I think. Swapping stories etc.

It got me thinking....

It might be cool to have Forum members come and stay with us here in Sydney too. Either people we met whilst walking or forum members we have come to know 'virtually'. Just another way to 'connect' with fellow Camino addicts....

Perhaps this Forum could facilitate in some way, the connection of willing hosts with 'visitors'? In theory it sounds like a nice idea, but it does have a few 'holes'. It would need to be a very simple process of making the 'introductions' so as not to create extra work for Ivar.

Here are a few 'holes' I thought of:

1. We wouldn't want people joining the Forum just to take advantage of the hospitality.
  2. Hosts should certainly not be pressured or approached directly for accommodation. "Hey Robo, we're coming to Sydney, got a spare room"?
  3. So perhaps visitors let their plans be known, and hosts could choose to 'offer' accommodation if they want to.
  4. Free or paid? I think it's best left up to the host. Some might be free, others Donativo, others a fixed fee. (perhaps not everyone could 'afford' to be a host even though they might want to be. Additional food costs etc)
  5. Length of stay? Couple of days, or a month? I guess the host would 'offer' what they want to.
  6. Security. Some members are well known (at least virtually), others might be very new. Probably some form of simple ID Check could be requested. What do Air BnB do? Again this would be between the parties, so as not to create work or 'responsibilty' for Ivar.

Discuss............... Crazy?

What other problems would you see?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We have a simple thread on the German pilgrims forum pilgerforum.de called 'Pilger beherbergen Pilger' (pilgrims giving hospitality to pilgrims). Those that want to offer hospitality pm what they offer to the 'thread moderator' and anybody that wants to take up their offer PMs them to get exact contact details/availability. Nothing more complicated and it works well since years. Buen Camino, SY

I think that's really great idea @Robo !!!
Also I can't see real other "holes" apart from ones you've already mentioned and also offered solutions. Maybe I see it that way because I hosted a pilgrim (from this forum), peregrina to be exact and it was very nice experience.

OTOH @SYates info about German pilgrims offering hospitality seem to me a little bit too "loose". I mean it obviously works in the environment of similar people (Germany) whereas here on the forum we come from more diverse backgrounds etc. That said I still think it could be a good starting platform for the general idea.

I like the idea so much that this thread is now among my Watched threads ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here is the thread on the German forum http://pilgerforum.de/forum/index.php/topic,13508.0.html So far it covers countries like Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Switzerland and, borderline Alsace/France ;-) Obviously the numbers are not huge but the system works well AND the responsibility is between host and hosted, and lies NOT by the forum owner. Buen Camino, SY

PS I had a similar idea some years back for a pilgrimswelcome website, but realised quickly that the admin responsibility / work would be huge and retired it into the 'perhaps later' drawer...

Here in France there is a Chain of Local Hospitality offered for passing pilgrims. See more in French here.

For example my husband and I live in a small Champagne village, facing the Marne river.
We have a b and b but this year for the first time are also providing simple family hosting for passing pilgrims. My first pilgrim shell hangs at our door marking the path.

Last edited:
Here is the thread on the German forum http://pilgerforum.de/forum/index.php/topic,13508.0.html So far it covers countries like Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Switzerland and, borderline Alsace/France ;-) Obviously the numbers are not huge but the system works well AND the responsibility is between host and hosted, and lies NOT by the forum owner. Buen Camino, SY

PS I had a similar idea some years back for a pilgrimswelcome website, but realised quickly that the admin responsibility / work would be huge and retired it into the 'perhaps later' drawer...

I think the key SY, is that the Forum takes no responsibility / liability. But merely introduces visitors to hosts.

This sounds interesting.... as long as I am not to blame for any unpleasant experiences... sounds good to me :)

I also was thinking that this could be done in a forum where it was only possible to create new threads... but not reply to any of them.. why? Since it might be good for people to announce that "I am going to London/Paris/Sydney/...", and if anyone in this city reads this, they con contact them and offer lodging by PM/e-mail. I guess only the initial announcement should be "public", the rest should be "private", no? (PM or e-mail)

Thoughts?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, but perhaps with the addition that the thread starter can add/edit to his/her own thread with, f.e., 'still looking' or 'have a bed'. Also perhaps a sub-subforum for those of us, me included, that live on a Camino and at the same time in an attractive city ;-) Can post our general willingness to offer hospitality. Something like this in our case:

Town/Camino: Prague, Czech Republic, crossing/starting point of several Czech Caminos
Room: Separate Guest Bed Room with one double and one single bed and own balcony where smoking is allowed. Sorry, no smoking inside the flat. Food, drink, washing machine and wifi.
Cost: None for pilgrims that are currently walking/biking etc.! Just giving back. If we get too many touristy visitors there might appear a donation box on the window sill in the far and distant future - or not.
Notes: @Ricky Yates is an Anglican priest (CoE) so pilgrims blessing/Eucharist etc. available if he is around.
We do have a friendly cat so not suitable for people with cat allergy.
Preferred Contact Method: Via PM on this forum, ideally a couple of days before arrival.

Buen Camino, SY

There are a couple of travel clubs in the U.S. that offer this same idea. I belonged for several years when I owned a home 'up island' on Vancouver Island. They are hugely successful but the Admin work behind it is a full time job. There is a nominal fee for a room and breakfast. It is a wonderful way to meet other travellers, although Rob's idea is more Pilgrim specific, it is still a wonderful idea.

I would enjoy to have people from the Forum staying with me in Copenhagen! Exchange stories, drink a glass of Rioja, doing a walk or two around Copenhagen, there are some lovely green walks.
When I'm walking the Camino, I carry my Osprey with the yellow arrow from Ivars shop and I'm forever hoping other Forum members will recognize it. It has not yet happened, but maybe next time?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We also offer accommodation ( but are obviously way off the Pilgrim trail)!
Once we had a visit from a young girl who we met when on the Camino one year and she stayed overnight on her way from Nicaragua.
The other time, it was paying guests. A forum member with whom I had kept an ongoing correspondence. This time it was a family holiday, together with grandchildren, so they used our rental unit.
We are also getting on the map, (Costa Rica) , as I know of 4 people leaving at different moments for the Camino this September! Three for the CF and one from Porto.

This sounds interesting.... as long as I am not to blame for any unpleasant experiences... sounds good to me :)

I also was thinking that this could be done in a forum where it was only possible to create new threads... but not reply to any of them.. why? Since it might be good for people to announce that "I am going to London/Paris/Sydney/...", and if anyone in this city reads this, they con contact them and offer lodging by PM/e-mail. I guess only the initial announcement should be "public", the rest should be "private", no? (PM or e-mail)

Thoughts?

Sounds like a good way to do it Ivar.

Maybe some simple guidelines, like start the thread title with the "country/town' you are going to.

i.e. France/Paris - Visiting Paris Jan 2017.

Otherwise the forum could get a bit messy to trawl through.

And as Sybil suggested, maybe allow the OP to edit the thread with updates.

Yes, but perhaps with the addition that the thread starter can add/edit to his/her own thread with, f.e., 'still looking' or 'have a bed'. Also perhaps a sub-subforum for those of us, me included, that live on a Camino and at the same time in an attractive city ;-) Can post our general willingness to offer hospitality. Something like this in our case:

Town/Camino: Prague, Czech Republic, crossing/starting point of several Czech Caminos
Room: Separate Guest Bed Room with one double and one single bed and own balcony where smoking is allowed. Sorry, no smoking inside the flat. Food, drink, washing machine and wifi.
Cost: None for pilgrims that are currently walking/biking etc.! Just giving back. If we get too many touristy visitors there might appear a donation box on the window sill in the far and distant future - or not.
Notes: @Ricky Yates is an Anglican priest (CoE) so pilgrims blessing/Eucharist etc. available if he is around.
We do have a friendly cat so not suitable for people with cat allergy.
Preferred Contact Method: Via PM on this forum, ideally a couple of days before arrival.

Buen Camino, SY

This is a great idea. But I suppose there is a risk that you will get flooded with visitors, many of whom merely joined the Forum to get free accommodation (once the word gets out)?

At least with the visitor being the one to post, and the hosts to an extent being anonymous at this stage, it allows the host to 'check them out' on the forum a bit first if they are concerned in anyway. i.e. The OP has been a Forum member for a few months, has posted lots of stuff , seems genuine etc, as opposed to... they joined yesterday and this is their first post ....

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OK, here's a thought...

Might be a crazy idea (probably is) and it sure has a few holes in it, but it might create an interesting discussion.

Recently I had a very nice PM from a forum member offering accommodation on a planned trip to the USA. I happened to mention recently in a post that a trip to the USA would preclude a Camino next year. Hence the offer. It would actually be a lot of fun staying with another Forum member I think. Swapping stories etc.

It got me thinking....

It might be cool to have Forum members come and stay with us here in Sydney too. Either people we met whilst walking or forum members we have come to know 'virtually'. Just another way to 'connect' with fellow Camino addicts....

Perhaps this Forum could facilitate in some way, the connection of willing hosts with 'visitors'? In theory it sounds like a nice idea, but it does have a few 'holes'. It would need to be a very simple process of making the 'introductions' so as not to create extra work for Ivar.

1. We wouldn't want people joining the Forum just to take advantage of the hospitality.
  2. Hosts should certainly not be pressured or approached directly for accommodation. "Hey Robo, we're coming to Sydney, got a spare room"?
  3. So perhaps visitors let their plans be known, and hosts could choose to 'offer' accommodation if they want to.
  4. Free or paid? I think it's best left up to the host. Some might be free, others Donativo, others a fixed fee. (perhaps not everyone could 'afford' to be a host even though they might want to be. Additional food costs etc)
  5. Length of stay? Couple of days, or a month? I guess the host would 'offer' what they want to.
  6. Security. Some members are well known (at least virtually), others might be very new. Probably some form of simple ID Check could be requested. What do Air BnB do? Again this would be between the parties, so as not to create work or 'responsibilty' for Ivar.

nice idea, i think it could work... need to stress that its for pilgrims only, can you imagine a husband or wife of a pilgrim visiting and not understanding what the Caminos about, they would hate being in the company and would get bored and maybe cause hassle to the host, by complaining about this and that? A Camino pilgrim is unique and not understood by everyone.....but please don't think I am anti re-your idea...i'am from Belfast and would do what ever for a fellow pilgrim here in my city.

Last edited:
This is a great idea. But I suppose there is a risk that you will get flooded with visitors, many of whom merely joined the Forum to get free accommodation (once the word gets out)?

At least with the visitor being the one to post, and the hosts to an extent being anonymous at this stage, it allows the host to 'check them out' on the forum a bit first if they are concerned in anyway. i.e. The OP has been a Forum member for a few months, has posted lots of stuff , seems genuine etc, as opposed to... they joined yesterday and this is their first post ....
I understand your concerns but Sybill lives in Prague (very touristy) and I believe that could be a"problem". But in my case where I come from I can offer two separate beds 20kms from capitol of Slovenia (Ljubljana) with good connections and I can also drive you to spots of interest. You won't be on the official Camino route (just few kms short) but you're still the pilgrim (we know eachother from the forum) whatever the nature of your visit to my country is. One night (two, threee...), dinner, some wine, first hand info - I mean what's there to think about :)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think this is a great idea. Although well off the beaten track (upstate New York) we would love to have people stay who have experienced the camino. I am thinking about going the airbnb bit after our camino this fall, and when we can clean out our upstairs bedroom (my daughter's college stuff she no longer wants, etc...). I did it at my father's house in Ireland last year and was glad I did. I'll keep watching to see what transpires - Cherry

Maybe we could have this be an option for "Donating Members" only? They tend to be long term users... but it may limit too much?

Having the OP be able to edit and delete the thread is important since once everything has been settled, they most likely would like to delete the thread so that it does not stick around for "eternity" :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@ivar might want to create a strict rule that no recommendations, comments, reviews or even thank you's about the arrangements are allowed on the forum. In addition to the obvious reasons, I am thinking that the person providing the accommodation might want to be very selective, and not want everyone to know that they have done so.

@ivar might want to create a strict rule that no recommendations, comments, reviews or even thank you's about the arrangements are allowed on the forum. In addition to the obvious reasons, I am thinking that the person providing the accommodation might want to be very selective, and not want everyone to know that they have done so.

That are exactly the features/measures that AirBnB and Couchsurfing use for safe keeping users ... I think that declining hospitality in case somebody feels uncomfortable with a request could be simply done with a 'wee white lie' = we are expecting a family visit at those dates - or similar.
Buen Camino, SY

I am also wondering if this whole idea could be something that could be incorporated in the Camino Places App - What do you think @ivar ? Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
OK, here's a thought...

It got me thinking....

I love your idea. I think if there was a doubt about if someone was a pilgrim you could ask them some specific questions they couldn't just look up on line. I think one thing that would work would be a trade. I live in Las Vegas. I would love to do trade someday. A free trade means you are both risking a stranger in your house. When I lived in Mexico there was a website for foreigners who lived there but in diff. cities to do trades. This could really take off. maybe people could send you a photo of them on the trail???

I love your idea. I think if there was a doubt about if someone was a pilgrim you could ask them some specific questions they couldn't just look up on line. I think one thing that would work would be a trade. I live in Las Vegas. I would love to do trade someday. A free trade means you are both risking a stranger in your house. When I lived in Mexico there was a website for foreigners who lived there but in diff. cities to do trades. This could really take off. maybe people could send you a photo of them on the trail???
Trade or pay-it-forward - it all works for me :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mods please edit at will…..
I'm not suggesting that what I am about to write here is how this idea being discussed could work; but only a'description' of a travel club I was with for several years which served me well, both as a guest and a host.The common ground was that participants (Members) are all 'travellers' and each has a guest room in their home to offer.

There is one Directory listing all participating members' names, location, a brief bio, description of accommodation and how long they have been members. This particular Club has grown by leaps and bounds over the years and now has members worldwide. All members pay a very reasonable annual fee for Membership, which enable them to both host guests and to be a guest. Listing a bio helps guests decide what they may have in common other than travelling, i.e. gardening, photography, eduction, etc.

Hosts also offer breakfast and are asked to spend at least an hour exchanging travel stories (forum members would need much, much more than that!). When I last belonged, a couple's cost was $20 (U.S.)and a Single was $15. Clearly this is not a money maker, but enough to help cover a bit of the hosts' cost for food. The average stay is one night; sometimes two, unless there is a mutual agreement otherwise. It has been and is a very successful model.

Reading the thread so far with interest. If I'm interpreting it correctly, there are two different schools of thought so far: 1) as described by @ivar , when a traveler posts that they plan to visit a location; and 2) as described by @SYates, when a host posts that they are willing hosts.

Personally I support the traveler posting, so that hosts can offer, or not, without throwing open the door and possibly resorting to the "wee white lie" if uncomfortable for any reason.

I like the idea of the original post only and then responses being made thru pm.

The mechanics of how it would work on the forum and its impact on Ivar, I haven't a clue about.

Thoughts?

That is perfect so you don't have more to manage or liability issues with people complaining to you if an arrangement didn't work out.

Just an update on this... I tried to configure the forum for this to work the other day, and it did not work as I intended... and I did not have more time, so I left it. I will look into this over the next few days and see if I can get it configured as I want.

My idea is:
  • Create a forum for this that can only be seen by logged in users of the forum with more than 30 posts. All other members, and users that have not signed up will not even see that this forum exist.
  • Users can only create a thread (they can also edit and delete their won thread). No one can reply to it (except mods).
My idea is that the people that have lodging to offer would post this... and that anyone interested would reply privately (PM or e-mail). When the person offering lodging does no longer do so, he/she can go in and delete the original thread..

What about something like this to start? Then we can see how it goes...

As a latecomer to this discussion, I nevertheless have my two cents to offer! First of all, great idea, Robo.

As far as the technical aspects -- Maybe there could both be an option of offering lodging and looking for lodging (maybe one colored tab/prefix in the sub-forum for offering and one for looking). I think it is important to have both possibilities (rather than limiting the posting to people with lodging to offer) because there may be people who are happy to offer lodging in response to a specific request based on what they know about the forum member, timing, etc, but who don't want to be "out there" with a general lodging offer.

(And it also eliminates the need for little white lies :))

As a latecomer to this discussion, I nevertheless have my two cents to offer! First of all, great idea, Robo.

As far as the technical aspects -- Maybe there could both be an option of offering lodging and looking for lodging (maybe one colored tab/prefix in the sub-forum for offering and one for looking). I think it is important to have both possibilities (rather than limiting the posting to people with lodging to offer) because there may be people who are happy to offer lodging in response to a specific request based on what they know about the forum member, timing, etc, but who don't want to be "out there" with a general lodging offer.

(And it also eliminates the need for little white lies :))
Well Laurie, I would love for you to come and visit us in Costa Rica.....we would need much more than one hour to chat and compare Camino experiences!

Just an update on this... I tried to configure the forum for this to work the other day, and it did not work as I intended... and I did not have more time, so I left it. I will look into this over the next few days and see if I can get it configured as I want.

My idea is:
  • Create a forum for this that can only be seen by logged in users of the forum with more than 30 posts. All other members, and users that have not signed up will not even see that this forum exist.
  • Users can only create a thread (they can also edit and delete their won thread). No one can reply to it (except mods).
My idea is that the people that have lodging to offer would post this... and that anyone interested would reply privately (PM or e-mail). When the person offering lodging does no longer do so, he/she can go in and delete the original thread..

What about something like this to start? Then we can see how it goes...

Any news on this @ivar? SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Take a deep breath, it isn't a life and death matter ;-) Happy prioritising ;-) SY

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.