• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

shells & distances

chinagal

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
There seems to be quite a variation in the total distaance of CF - SJPDP to Santiago. From 790kms to 900kms! Why is this?
Also, regarding the scallop shell to carry - can you bring your own or do you get given one? has significance for me so would like to bring my own.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Also, regarding the scallop shell to carry - can you bring your own or do you get given one? has significance for me so would like to bring my own.
You are not usually given one. You are welcome to bring your own if you wish. There is no special rule about scallop shells and not every pilgrim chooses to carry one.

There seems to be quite a variation in the total distaance of CF - SJPDP to Santiago. From 790kms to 900kms! Why is this?
I have never seen anywhere claiming that the CF is 900km! That's way outside the normal margin of error. Sometimes I read about 800km. The distance certificate I have from 2016 says 775km. Most guesses are somewhere between those two. Hard to be precise because there are several places where there are alternatives of different lengths to choose from. And the Camino Frances has changed a bit over time when old paths have been cut off and others marked as replacements.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola

Well.. when you walk the Camino everyone is doing it a littel bit different.
There are many smaller - and bigger - detours, such as scenic routes in nature or possible visits to curches and monastaries.
On the meseta there are different ways to walk and so on.

When you leave Roncesvales there is a famous sign which say - 790 km to Santiago.
So walking from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvales - depending on which route you chosse - is around 25 km. That should then total 815 km.

Regardless, I usually say that if you walk from Saint Jean to Finisterra or Muxia - you have walked 1000 km.
That is if you take the nature routes and includes the km you do when you take wrong turnes and in general walking for shopping and so on.

I am sure that other people got GPS gear can have a more precise number, but that is how I do it.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

When you leave Roncesvales there is a famous sign which say - 790 km to Santiago.
My 2016 distance certificate says it is 775km from SJPDP to Santiago. I walked it again in January and I could have sworn that SJPDP was further from Santiago than Roncesvalles. Maybe my navigation is becoming worse with age... :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My 2016 distance certificate says it is 775km from SJPDP to Santiago. I walked it again in January and I could have sworn that SJPDP was further from Santiago than Roncesvalles. Maybe my navigation is becoming worse with age... :)
:)

Well... I guess those signs are for cars and they do a more indirect route than pilgrims..

Google give us this picture of the sign outside Roncesvales.

Lettinggo

790-km-to-Santiago-de-Compostela.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have never seen anywhere claiming that the CF is 900km! That's way outside the normal margin of error. Sometimes I read about 800km. The distance certificate I have from 2016 says 775km. Most guesses are somewhere between those two. Hard to be precise because there are several places where there are alternatives of different lengths to choose from. And the Camino Frances has changed a bit over time when old paths have been cut off and others marked as replacements.
i saw this on the first page. 920kms the French way. maybe its a typo?

people measure with their gps and that gives some variations. In particular those who include their sightseeing in the cities or their deviation to their accommodation in their measurements ;-)

However, 900 is way off, that must include some other stretch of way, such as Santiago-Fisterra.

I only got my scallop shell in Santiago upon arrival, by someone who gave me hers as a sign of friendship. so this is very individual. You could carry whatever scallop you like, or none at all!

thankyou

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You are right, it does say 930 km for the French Way (see screenshot). And it does so on “Spain’s official tourism website”!!! Very sloppy work. It is wrong, the whole length is about 800 km and they say so in the text that follows.

1680257277092.jpeg

Well... I guess those signs are for cars and they do a more indirect route than pilgrims
Yes, that sign is on the road for cars.
Regardless, I usually say that if you walk from Saint Jean to Finisterra or Muxia - you have walked 1000 km.
You could say that, but it would be incorrect since Santiago to Finisterre or Muxía is about 90 km, 120 km if you walk between the two also. If you make the roundtrip back to Santiago you are approaching 1000 km.
It's wrong - Maybe a typo.

well, whatever it is - it is a long way! just trying to work out total days needed if taking it leisurely! thanks all. buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you want something a little different, the blacksmith at the bottom of the hill leading to the wine fountain sell stamped b lack metal ones. At first I was not impressed with them, but as I kept seeing them on the Camino, I grew to like them. After hiking, my daughters and I took a detour to visit relatives in Pamplona. We stopped at the blacksmith shop to get the shells and at the winery at the wine fountain. Their high end wines were very good and not that expensive.

Yes, that sign is on the road for cars.

You could say that, but it would be incorrect since Santiago to Finisterre or Muxía is about 90 km, 120 km if you walk between the two also. If you make the roundtrip back to Santiago you are approaching 1000 km.

It's wrong - Maybe a typo.
It has to be wrong as we know and it could be a typo or just sloppy as has been suggested. When you read the distance totals and the stage totals it does not add up

Castilla y LeónDistance: 380 kilometres.Recommended stages: 14.

Galicia Distance: 160 kilometres.Recommended stages: 7 or 8.

The distance from Castillo and Leon is 220k longer than Galicia but it is recommended that you only do double the amount of stages.
Sloppy or a mistage.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sounds like the 900km could relate to total if walking from Santiago onto Finistere...

You can bring your own. I carried a small scallop shell that a friend found especially for me on a Cape Cod beach before my first camino. I also have one given to me as a birthday gift by the pilgrims and owner of the gite where I spent my first night - and my birthday- on the Le Puy route.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In the Middle Ages it was common for people who had committed a crime to be condemned to walk to Santiago / Fisterra as punishment/penance. My understanding is that these pilgrims brought back home a scallop shell with them as proof that they had indeed gone there. Pilgrims starting off on their journey did not carry shells.

In the Middle Ages it was common for people who had committed a crime to be condemned to walk to Santiago / Fisterra as punishment/penance. My understanding is that these pilgrims brought back home a scallop shell with them as proof that they had indeed gone there. Pilgrims starting off on their journey did not carry shells.
Well, what did you think why most of us walk?

😶

🤣

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
thankyou! I love hearing all the little stories, true or not, about the camino.

in 2019, in the Pilgrims Office in SJPP, the volunteer showed me a big box of shells where I could choose my own, and then drop a donation into the box mounted there. Each shell was drilled with 2 tiny holes and strung with a piece of twine, so you could hang it on your pack.

I've used the same scallop shell I picked up on a beach from my travels and drilled a small hole in it. I have a friend who dangles a very small brass shell from her pack...anything goes!
Screenshot_20240205-164940~2.png
I have only one distance certificate, every step walked from SJPdP to Santiago in 2017...it says 799k.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back