• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes for wide feet, want to avoid problems with zero drop shoes

catgnat

Time of past OR future Camino
France camino beginning September 2022
Hi, this will be my first camino, I'm 58 years old and have wide feet. I've found Altras to be the most comfortable shoes but have read a fair bit about possible injuries/achilles tendonitis with zero drop shoes, especially with older or less athletic people (me on both counts!). I have orthotics that add 5mm overall to the heel and think perhaps this may solve the tendonitis/ankle issues. thoughts? experience you can share? I have 5 months to train and am also open to other suggestions for shoes with very wide toe boxes, but Hokas did not work for me, even in wide. Topo is another brand, but the Topo shoe I tried at REI was too narrow (can't remember style, but if others could name the widest Topo shoe style that worked for them, I may try them again). many thanks for your help.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also have wide feet - very wide feet, clowns ain't in it! I only wear Keen Newport H2 trekking sandals, superb wide box, perfectly shaped footbed and thick and grippy sole. Not the leather model - too stiff and rubby, but the textile ones (they have different colours too).
Mind you, possibly the ugliest footwear in the world!

https://www.keenfootwear.com/en-gb/p/M-NEWPORT-H2.html

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is a litany! But I’ll add — My husband also has wide feet. He wears Merill Moabs and has had good luck. He wears New Balance trainers for walking around town and they also have been good.
Same here, I'm a fellow duck foot. The Moabs are almost wide enough for me, New Balance makes a bunch of shoes in 4E width. The OP should not assume that you need a "rugged" shoe, unless for a winter Camino. Training shoes are perfectly acceptable in the warmer three seasons....and a much better option than a shoe that doesn't fit perfectly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Same here, I'm a fellow duck foot. The Moabs are almost wide enough for me, New Balance makes a bunch of shoes in 4E width. The OP should not assume that you need a "rugged" shoe, unless for a winter Camino. Training shoes are perfectly acceptable in the warmer three seasons....and a much better option than a shoe that doesn't fit perfectly.
Consider also that some shoes also last longer than others if you have a long camino.

Fellow wide footed Altra fan here. In my experience no other shoe even came close to allowing my toes enough room to spread comfortably.

About two years ago I'd been wearing and training in a pair of Lone Peaks for about a year and started getting a moderate case of achilles tendonitis, exacerbated by some pandemic weight gain. My podiatrist said that the zero drop may have contributed to the condition and advised some 5mm cork heel lifts worn under the Altra insoles. Within a few weeks the tendonitis started noticeably abating. So in my experience the heel lifts/orthotics definitely made a difference.

I will be walking my Camino this spring in a pair of Altra Olympus 4s, which I settled on for their increased cushioning over the Lone Peaks - and a fresh pair of 5mm cork heel lifts will be part of my gear as well.

That said: consider this anecdotal evidence only. Your podiatrist will be your best source of information and advice on the subject. Buen Camino!

Consider also that some shoes also last longer than others if you have a long camino.
Absolutely correct. Not all training shoes will go the distance, you have to find one that will, or replace them mid Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I also recommend seeing your podiatrist - with your Altras. They are great shoes - but you may need some custom orthotic insoles to make them work even better for your feet. Or... maybe they will suggest something else. But - Altras are the only shoe I have found to give me enough toe room. I size up 1 1/2 sizes (as recommended by a local podiatrist who walks the Camino regularly). My injinji toe socks and merino wool injinji or darn tough socks fill some of the space, my laces help secure the heal end of my foot so it isn't sliding around - and then the leftover remaining space allows my feet to swell a little without causing additional problems. I do usually need to find different insoles. This works for ME. But you and your podiatrist should figure out what works best for you. Make sure your podiatrist understands what kind of walk you are undertaking, and how many hours a day you will walk approximately and how many miles a day you expect to cover... and how many days you will be repeating it on a daily basis!! Because their normal recommendations would be modified based on the nature of the Camino or any other long distance multi week walk.

other suggestions for shoes with very wide toe boxes
A wide (D) width is usually good for me. My current favourites are Brooks Ghost and New Balance Fresh Foam More. Both of them have good height/volume in the toe, as well as width. The Ghost is a regular heel drop but the FF More has only a 4-5 mm drop. I was concerned about it having only 4-5 mm drop because I haven't liked the zero drops, but my podiatrist says the More is very good because of the rocker-style sole.

Especially for women, It is difficult to find wide shoes in a store to try on. If you can find a New Balance store near you, they might carry some. If not, find a shoe that is available online in D or EE, and then try on the regular width (B) in a store, in order to get a sense for the size/length and overall shape and suitability. If it seems good, order online to try them at home, provided the return policy is acceptable.

Here is another recent thread about wide shoes, including some good information from @Rick of Rick and Peg about where to buy the extra wide New Balance shoes.

Your 5 mm orthotics are probably designed for shoes with regular heel drop, so it might not be enough of a rise - if the low rise is a problem. (It might not be.)

This is true. At home, I find that my comfortable cushioned running shoes lose significant comfort after 600 km or so. However, no other shoes provide me with the necessary comfort in the first place. I am inclined to walk Caminos now that don't exceed that distance, so it is OK. If I were undertaking a longer one, I would consider whether to send a replacement pair of shoes to myself somewhere.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am 7EE to 8EE so very wide. Moabs I find narrow for me, as are every other brand in every hiking shop.
Except my Keen Newports.

True, as mentioned above, that you don't need rugged footwear but what is certain is that they must have rugged soles ... a lot of Camino is rough stoney and if you have thin soles you will be in serious pain.

I am not too sure about this modern 'zero drop' concept as if it is a bad thing as Humans are designed to walk barefoot and did so for some three million years. I think it more to do with spending decades in heeled footwear so that when natural shoes are put on the faulty body can no longer cope. Which suggests retraining the body rather than false heels to enforce the malady would be a better way forward.

Last edited:
This company sells a number of brands with widths that go up to 8E.
For any women reading this thread: We live in the Boston area where New Balance shoes are made. I was talking about shoes with a woman friend who wears 4E width shoes. She spent quite a bit of researching and from what I remember her saying was that apparently Hitchcock/Wideshoes.com has a exclusive contract with New Balance and the only place you can get women's New Balance 4E shoes are with them.

Hi, this will be my first camino, I'm 58 years old and have wide feet. I've found Altras to be the most comfortable shoes but have read a fair bit about possible injuries/achilles tendonitis with zero drop shoes, especially with older or less athletic people (me on both counts!). I have orthotics that add 5mm overall to the heel and think perhaps this may solve the tendonitis/ankle issues. thoughts? experience you can share? I have 5 months to train and am also open to other suggestions for shoes with very wide toe boxes, but Hokas did not work for me, even in wide. Topo is another brand, but the Topo shoe I tried at REI was too narrow (can't remember style, but if others could name the widest Topo shoe style that worked for them, I may try them again). many thanks for your help.
Oboz have a wide toe box and decent comfortable tread underneath. Wore them on my second CF ( broke a bone on top of my foot on the first CF...story for another day ) , by default I needed a wide shoe that was well padded. Subsequent Camino's were much shorter and in good warmer weather, so I wore trail runners. Worth a try-on... Good luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am not too sure about this modern 'zero drop' concept as if it is a bad thing as Humans are designed to walk barefoot and did so for some three million years. I think it more to do with spending decades in heeled footwear so that when natural shoes are put on the faulty body can no longer cope. Which suggests retraining the body rather than false heels to enforce the malady would be a better way forward.

That is exactly the idea behind zero drop footwear - and according to my podiatrist, the reason why strain on the achilles tendon is common when people switch from a heeled shoe to one with a more "natural" lack of slope from heel to toe. Maybe if they catch on more we'll all be free of such maladies within the next several decades!

I am sold on the Oboz Sawtooth wides. I also have a pair of Hokas in wide (not sure the model) that I play around with. I was at the podiatrist last week because I couldn't do distance without pain. Turns out I have fallen arches and a strained PT tendon around the ankle- who knew? He liked my Oboz and messed around with them quite a bit. Every staff member in the office was wearing Hokas. I left with some upgraded inserts (but not custom orthotics) and a modified walking schedule that increases the distance using the new inserts and so far, so good. The Oboz and the Hokas have wide toe boxes as well. The podiatrist wasn't a fan of Altras.

That is exactly the idea behind zero drop footwear - and according to my podiatrist, the reason why strain on the achilles tendon is common when people switch from a heeled shoe to one with a more "natural" lack of slope from heel to toe. Maybe if they catch on more we'll all be free of such maladies within the next several decades!
Agree @SeñorJacques ...in the 70's there was a brand called 'Earth Shoes'. We all had them in high school and they were designed to support natural body alignment. Birkenstock sandals/shoes do the same. I shamefully admit to owning 40+ prs of Birkenstocks, take them on the camino despite their weight as my alternate footwear and wear them until the snow flies here at home. I hope the zero drop footwear catches on and more companies produce them so the prices drop along with the heels...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would make an appointment with your podiatrist and take the Altras with you to see what they think.
That’s what I did. She helped me get the right inserts for my Altras

A wide (D) width is usually good for me. My current favourites are Brooks Ghost and New Balance Fresh Foam More. Both of them have good height/volume in the toe, as well as width. The Ghost is a regular heel drop but the FF More has only a 4-5 mm drop. I was concerned about it having only 4-5 mm drop because I haven't liked the zero drops, but my podiatrist says the More is very good because of the rocker-style sole.

Especially for women, It is difficult to find wide shoes in a store to try on. If you can find a New Balance store near you, they might carry some. If not, find a shoe that is available online in D or EE, and then try on the regular width (B) in a store, in order to get a sense for the size/length and overall shape and suitability. If it seems good, order online to try them at home, provided the return policy is acceptable.

Here is another recent thread about wide shoes, including some good information from @Rick of Rick and Peg about where to buy the extra wide New Balance shoes.

Your 5 mm orthotics are probably designed for shoes with regular heel drop, so it might not be enough of a rise - if the low rise is a problem. (It might not be.)

This is true. At home, I find that my comfortable cushioned running shoes lose significant comfort after 600 km or so. However, no other shoes provide me with the necessary comfort in the first place. I am inclined to walk Caminos now that don't exceed that distance, so it is OK. If I were undertaking a longer one, I would consider whether to send a replacement pair of shoes to myself somewhere.
I am a Brooks Cascadia addict. It is the only trail runner I use on the Camino. But with my big feet it is always a chore to find a pair that fits me, size 15/ 2wide (I think the refer to it as 2E). Have you ever worn Cascadia? If you have can you tell me the difference between them and the Ghost.

Agree @SeñorJacques ...in the 70's there was a brand called 'Earth Shoes'. We all had them in high school and they were designed to support natural body alignment. Birkenstock sandals/shoes do the same. I shamefully admit to owning 40+ prs of Birkenstocks, take them on the camino despite their weight as my alternate footwear and wear them until the snow flies here at home. I hope the zero drop footwear catches on and more companies produce them so the prices drop along with the heels...
You brought a nostalgic smile to my face when you mentioned the Earth Shoes. Never owned a pair but I do remember them!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Oboz have a wide toe box and decent comfortable tread underneath. Wore them on my second CF ( broke a bone on top of my foot on the first CF...story for another day ) , by default I needed a wide shoe that was well padded. Subsequent Camino's were much shorter and in good warmer weather, so I wore trail runners. Worth a try-on... Good luck!
I also like the Oboz Sawtooth II for the toe space/width. I had never heard of them, but an REI salesperson talked me into trying them a couple years ago and I really liked them. At the time, I was wearing a low cut hiker. While I had them, I concluded I should be wearing a mid height shoe (in my late 60s). I am not a foul weather hiker and my feet sweat a lot, so I wanted a breathable shoe. Unfortunately the breathable Sawtooth II was not available in a wide mid height. At the time, I contacted Oboz, and they had no plans to market a wide, breathable, mid Sawtooth II. I keep hoping they'll change their mind!

I hiked the Frances with wide low Merrells I bought about 5 years before my Camino (2016). I don't remember the model (tags are unreadable). I had no problems other than feeling every little pebble through the soles after a few days. I tried the wide Merrell Moab 2 recently, but wasn't satisfied with the traction on smooth wet surfaces. The tread pattern looks more like a court shoe tread. I'd prefer lugs. I'm still wearing the old Merrells and searching for a comfortable, breathable, mid shoe with good traction.

I also tried Keens and wasn't satisfied with the fit. The toebox was ok, but the heel was loose. I don't know if others have a similar issue or if it's just my feet.

Best wishes on finding a comfortable shoe. And as others have said, it's a matter of finding a shoe that works for you, not necessarily what works for others.

runningwarehouse has a good selection of wide shoes.

Brooks and New Balance in 4E, not trail runners, still doable. Shoes like the Cascadia 16 only 2E.

My feet are wider in the front, I bought the Hoka Speedgoat 5 (4mm) and not sure yet. I think a higher drop in better for me, 8-12mm. I use Powerstep insoles.

does your heel still lock in with the added 5mm custom orthotic?

I see 29 shoes in 4E on runningwarehouse.

I'm still looking for the right shoe, trying to get a flight out this week!

let us know if you find something that works well.

i too have been training with Altra LPs, I use Orthotics with heal cups and arch support instead of the Altra insoles, it makes them much more comfortable and doesn’t irritate my plantar fasciitis even on long stretches with heavy loads.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
experience you can share?
I too have wide feet, which really narrows our choice of shoes/boots. Also, like you, I need to use custom orthotics to prevent recurrence of plantar fasciitis. This adds needed loft to the shoe so that the vein on top of my foot does not become irritated. After years of trial and error, I've settled on the Merrell Moab as the best fit for me. It comes in both the regular (Ventilator) or waterproof models. Since the orthotics need to lay flat in the shoe, I strip out the insert that comes with it and replace it with a thick memory foam insert that I found on AMAZON. I love the cushioning it provides and way it works with the orthotics.

I also have "Morton's Toe". That's where the second toe is longer than the big toe. About 20% of people have this. In my case it exceeds the big toe length by a lot, so the second toe takes a beating on the downhill. My fix for that is to size up one full size and use a foam tube cushion on the second toe. The combination works really well. Also, by sizing up, there's more room for the thick memory foam insert.

Best of luck to you in finding the right shoe and fit! I know from experience it can be tough.

I have very wide feet as well. I went to a store that "knows" feet as well as shoes. the gentleman who help fit me got me in a New Balance (something) foam 4E. They are excellent. Also, he started the lacing one whole up from the bottom which gave me EXTRA room in the toe box. I have never been happier.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked 3 Caminos - starting my 4th, the Le Puy, in May.
I have wide, flat, feet. Keen Voyageurs are my shoe.
I take them to a shoe fixery where they stretch them - for about 1 week.
I gave the fixery lady roses when I returned the 1st time.
I also follow advice from other pilgrims - stopping every couple of hours for about 20-30 minutes,
taking off shoes and socks, putting up feet and reapplying vaseline all over each foot.
I have never had a blister.
Hope this helps!

I used to love Altras until the zero drop caused achilles tendonitis. I have tried all sorts of options but have settled on Hoka Challenger ATR 6 in wide. I use these both for running and hiking now. I used to use a custom made orthotic, but when I wore them out, I found that SuperFeet Green provided equivalent support for a whole lot less money. I use the regular (not wide) insert, as my heel needs a tighter fit. Your mileage will vary, of course. I used to use the Hoka SpeedGoats, also in wide, but the last pair I bought had heel slippage for some reason, so maybe I got a bad set or they changed the fit. I just got back from 2 weeks on the Norte, and other than a small very manageable blister on my little toe, I had no issues. I was a former boot wearer, but by far this was the best experience I've had with footwear over my last 4 Caminos!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Danner 600 worked great for me.

Catgnat, like you, Altra is one of my favorite shoes for my “waffle” feet. In my late 50s I walked the Camino Frances in spring 2019. My feet are the most tender and problematic parts of my lower extremities, and I worried about what would be the best footwear. While I did not use Altras, I did use Keen hiking boots (Targhee series). I had NO blisters, sores, hot spots or toenail problems for the entire Camino. None. But the soles of my feet hurt terribly at the end of each day. About 2 weeks in, I learned to stop every 5 miles, remove boots and socks and massage the feet. Rest for 10-15 minutes then walk on. Ahhh. That made such a huge difference and I had happy feet. Six years ago, a friend used Altra ankle boots which I had never seen before and don’t know if they still make. Maybe check them out too. But Keen boots are my feet’s best friends. My Camino pair are worn out but I still wear them to walk the dog and to garden.

Buen Camino!

I shamefully admit to owning 40+ prs of Birkenstocks, take them on the camino despite their weight as my alternate footwear and wear them until the snow flies here at home.

Whoa, and I thought my dozen pair of Birkenstocks (mostly Arizonas and Milanos in various colors/materials including EVA and vegan variations) were a lot! Now I have an excuse for expanding my collection even further 🥳

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Since the orthotics need to lay flat in the shoe, I strip out the insert that comes with it and replace it with a thick memory foam insert that I found on AMAZON
Aren't the orthotics designed to simply replace the insert that comes in the shoe from the manufacturer, so that the shoe size does not usually change? If you add a layer of foam under your orthotic, I expect it would be fine but you would need to size up accordingly. I expect this is fine, and in fact perhaps the extra cushioning could be good.

After two pair of Oboz I've gone back to Keen. Keen had got away from the wider toe box. (Why Oboz came to be.) Keen has a narrow heal but wide toe box. I get these new boots two weeks ago, no breaking in, comfortable and not a size bigger.

I love my Brook's Ghost, that are nice and wide and very accommodating to add an orthotic if needed. I am not sure how well they would last for over 500 miles but I guess I have put on that many just hiking in California. My Camino and preferred hiking shoes are Merrill.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I never had a pair, but like Altras, they had a wide toe box.
View attachment 122024
Wow, blast from the past. I remember those when I was a kid. I remember a co-worker of dad's coming by the house and he was wearing a pair of Earth Shoes and talking about them to dad.

I need a wide toe box and so far the Oboz sawtooth's I've worn on three Caminos have worked well for me, eliminating the problem I had before of my small toe rubbing the inside of the shoe just below the toenail when I wore Merrell Moab's.

You've opened Pandora's box !

I have had feet issues in the past including a stress fracture. I have size 14 wide feet. I have hard custom orthotics. I use keen boots - yes boots. I am very hard on my foot wear, need the support and having today just walked 39km to finish the via Augusta on very muddy tracks in the rain would not have wanted anything but boots. I find Keen a good fit for me with ample width in the toe. Via Augusta done, feet good and dry !

Before the CP I took a range of boots to my podiatrist and took her advice. She recommended the Keens. CP walked blister free and I found the surfaces on that camino, especially to Porto, hard.

Because of my hard orthotics I replace the inner soles with one's designed for heavier blokes from available from Amazon.

I am expecting my boots to not last the whole of the VDP and because sourcing size 14 in Spain is unlikely I have a second pair coming for the Sanabres.

So be guided by your podiatrist for your unique needs and use the next 5 months to narrow down the combination that works for you because we all have different feet 🦶

PS I rate hiking poles and find they take an amount of weight off not just the leg joints but also feet

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When you tried Hokas, did you try their Hoka 1 1 Bondi? They come in a 4E and a large foot box that other Hokas don't.

I walked the Camino Portugues with Saucony Trek trail sneakers. My foot is wide and I always have a hard time getting the right fit. Saucony Trek comes in wide sizes with decent support. The standard sizes tend to run on the wide side. My feet are size US 8.5 EEE. I bought a 10.5 regular. They fit well everywhere but my toes were swimming. I made a few modifications so my toes wouldn't move around. There was plenty of room and I never go a blister. My biggest problem is that Saucony shoes are difficult to find where I live. Hope this helps.

Lots of good suggestions here! But it's worth keeping in mind that there's a difference between Altras (which the OP liked aside from their zero drop), and wide shoes in general.

Altras aren't just generally wider than other brands of shoes: it's the particular size and shape of their toe box – even more particularly, the toe box in their "Original Footshape" line – that makes them distinctive.

Over the years I've tried a few of the brands that have been recommended here, and while some fit my wide feet better than others (New Balances are good in that regard, but I still haven't found anything by Brooks, Merrill, Keen, or Hoka that have worked for me) none have also given me enough room in the toe box for comfort. Many brands in "wide" sizes accommodate a wider midfoot, but very few seem to carry that extra width to the toe box. (Maybe I just have freakishly wide toes?)

Which is why I've had to settle for the somewhat strange combination of a zero drop shoe worn with heel lifts. Until I find another shoe that truly has as wide a toe box as Altra's Lone Peaks or Olympuses - and again, I have tried many - that is what I will be wearing, especially for long distance walking and hiking.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I started training with Moab II but also read good reviews about Oboz Sawtooth, in particular regarding the wider toe box, so I bought a pair online in one size bigger than my shoe size. I have a high instep and use custom orthotics. I've been wearing them daily for a few weeks to break in the new orthotics and they fit better than the Moab, especially in the toe box. The real test will be when I can get out for a long hike, hopefully soon!

I too have quite wide feet (EE fitting) and have walked three Caminos (CF x 2, CP x 1) in Keen footwear and have had minimal problems... First time I put one on in the shop, it felt right!

I gather that Keen are known in the industry as having a (comparatilvley) wide toe-box - worth a try if foot width is the issue for you. The do have both trail shoes, and walking shoes with a heel.

I was 56 in 2018 when I walked the Camino and have wide feet as well. I wore Keen Targhee 2 with custom made insoles and they were fantastic. I had no blisters and no problems. I wanted boots, ankle high hiking sort of thing as I had my knees replaced in 2011. I thought ankle high would give me some protection from rolling my ankle and possibly falling and then hurting my knees. I am glad I did as some of the down hill rocky areas like down from alto de pardon it would have been easy to do that especially if it was rainy and slippery.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will only comment about my experience. At 74 and with wide feet (toe area) I' only trust Keens and Altra. 3 caminos + later the only problem I've had is blisters and that was when I tried a different shoe from those 2. I was a runner years ago. Not for a long time now. Just my experience but I would not trade my shoes (either kind) for any other and I'd leave tomorrow for another Camino with either.

I had trouble getting wide fitting shoes for women, so I purchased a pair of men's wide fitting New Balance trail runners. They are so comfortable!

Aren't the orthotics designed to simply replace the insert that comes in the shoe from the manufacturer, so that the shoe size does not usually change? If you add a layer of foam under your orthotic, I expect it would be fine but you would need to size up accordingly. I expect this is fine, and in fact perhaps the extra cushioning could be good.
The answer to your first question is a qualified yes, many podiatrists say you can place the orthotics over the existing inserts, but my experience is that the supplied inserts are highly variable in design and often, particularly with non-neutral running shoes, they throw off the positioning of the orthotic. Over the past 8 or so years I've been using custom orthotics, I've learned to take that variable out of the equation and start with a flat insert with good cushioning.

The second question on sizing up depends on the amount of loft the replacement insert introduces above the original insert. However, that's not what drives my decision to size up. It's more a Morton's toe issue. I need longer shoes to accommodate the second toe and I need wider shoes to accommodate my wide foot.

It has taken me many years to come up with the combination of shoe, shoe sizing, and inserts to get a custom fit for my feet. That's why I advise folks to start early in experimentation. I like to say that 70% of training is understanding the weak links in your body and figuring out solutions to prevent and deal with the issues they creat.

ASICS trail tennis shoes! I walked the Camino Frances in 2017 and wore hiking boots. I realized after walking the entire Camino that unless you are very unlucky and get an unusual amount of rain on your Camino that you do not need boots.
Next time, if there is a next time, I will wear ASIC trail tennis shoes.
I wear 13 EEE.

Hi Catgnat, I have walked several Caminos and worn several different walking shoes on these Caminos... Meindl, Salomons, etc. I ended up with blisters on nearly every Camino, except for my last 2 Caminos (Camino Mozarabe and Camino del Norte). And I honestly believe the reason I didn't get blisters on these particular Caminos is because I invested in a pair of Altra Lone Peaks. I first tried them out on Camino Mozarabe. I found them fantastic! Not one single blister! So I wore the Altras again on the Camino del Norte and, lo and behold, again no blisters....not one! And, although I normally wear orthotics in my other walking shoes because I sometimes suffer with shin-splints, I decided not to use the orthotics with the Altras. I decided to take a chance and see if the zero drop of the Altras would somehow alleviate my foot and shin splint issue. And it worked. I pretty much wear Altras all the time now and my orthotics are gathering dust. By the way, I'm 55 years old and not fit. Hope this has been some help to you. Buen Camino. Xx

The most important thing is to find something that works for your feet. There is obviously no one shoe that works for everyone! I have very wide feet and find Lowas to work for me. That is another brand you might look at.

Another yes vote for the Altra lone Peaks. Haven’t done the Camino but for what it’s worth my feet were blister free and comfortable after a 13 mile Yosemite day hike to half dome last summer.

I've had good luck recently with TOPO Ultraventure Pros. Wide toe box like Altras, but 4-5mm drop like Hokas. Best of all worlds if you can find them.

You might as well expect problems with your Achilles tendon if you switch from shoes with a heel drop to zero-drop shoes and immediately start walking long distances in them.

As one poster pointed out, the Achilles tendon does not extend to its full length when we wear shoes with a heel drop and, thus, becomes shortened, so when we switch to zero-drop shoes that stretch the tendon to that full length and then immediately engage in vigorous physical activity, the tendon can get angry and swollen or even snap.

I've been wearing nothing but zero drop shoes for the last 15 years. When I got my first pair, I followed the advice of a runner friend who said he had worn zero drop shoes as street shoes for an entire year before he gradually transitioned to wearing them on trail runs. Like him, I transitioned into wearing zero drop shoes as street shoes over months but still had some bouts of sore tendons. I've been wearing them without problems since.

In spite of one poster's comments on the unique design of the Altra toe box, you might want to think many times before getting a zero drop Altra just because of the wide toe box. Other posters have mentioned several brands of heel drop shoes that have wide(r) toe boxes or that are available in several widths.

If you do choose a zero-drop shoe, make sure you have enough time to get your Achilles tendon accustomed to stretching BEFORE you start TRAINING for your Camino. You are not just breaking in a new shoe; you are making a fundamental change in your walking that forces a physiological change in your body and returns your Achilles tendon to its natural form.

As always, check with a medical professional/physical therapist for advice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also have wide feet - very wide feet, clowns ain't in it! I only wear Keen Newport H2 trekking sandals, superb wide box, perfectly shaped footbed and thick and grippy sole. Not the leather model - too stiff and rubby, but the textile ones (they have different colours too).

Are you suggesting walking on Camino with sandals is possible?

I,as well, have wide feet. Plus I suffer with Morton's Neuroma which is just horrible. I wore Salomon's X-ultra wide boots. I can say, they are not really wide at all. However, wearing a size 9.5, at the shoe stors I kept going up a 1/2 size until I found the size that felt comfortable. That was size 11.5. I walked my Camino without a blister and without any foot problems whatsoever. I continue to walk approximately 1800 miles a year using the same brand and size boot. My suggestion to you is to size up regardless of your foot width.

I have extra wide feet 4E and I wore a pair of Dunham Addisons when I did the Camino Frances. They are also available in 6E. I also use the Superfeet Green Wide inserts. I tried all "fit's wide" shoes at the local hiking stores but they just caused me immediate pain when I tried them on in the store. You'll need to go to a specialty shoe store for the extra wide.
The Dunhams are a very comfortable walking shoe although they are not as grippy as a pair of hiking boots. I have a new pair for this year's camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

The Keens run wide …and are on the list for fat footers. Merrill’s are also available in wide sizes and both brands are durable. I like the low rise models and don’t strategize water proof version’s anymore either. Better to just dry them overnight , and focus on other important factors

Keen Newport devotee as well. Found them on day 10
Of first Camino in 2015; been living in them since. Did el Norte in a pair. back to Francés in 2 weeks with a pair. Great in the heat. Wear socks. Few stones enter but it happens occasionally; just use your pile or hand to push back the heel so they fall out - do immediately.

Hi, I am 81 and walk some Camino or other almost every year with my husband (85). We both wear Altras. I think it is important to get used to the Altras a bit at a time (they suggest how long to wear them each day so it's gradual.) I used to have plantar fasciitis before I changed to trail runners. I wore orthotics for some time to get rid of the plantar and now just wear an OTC orthotic and have had no problems for years.

€83,-
Have you ever gone on a tropical vacation and worn flip-flops, and barefoot on the beach. That's about as zero-drop as you can get. I wore Altras in 2016 and 2018 having never worn zero drop shoes previously. I couldn't tell the difference. I don't doubt that there are individuals who might an issue "adapting", but I would wager it is very, very small percentage of Altra adopters.

After wearing Keen boots of various kinds for years (day hikes), I started getting issues and after a lot of looking and trying out boots and trail shoes...landed on Topo's Ultraventure...my lasted pair being the updated Ultraventure 2. They don't last as long as Keen boots, but are so comfortable! 5mm heal to toe drop and big nice and roomy toe box.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back