• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes, when does breaking in become wearing out.

Mr_Ross_Duncan

Via Gebennensis, Portuguese, Via Francigena, GR65,
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis, Portuguese, Via Francigena, GR65,
We've settled on our new boots for our upcoming CF/Invierno in August.
Merrell's for him, Salomon's for her.
We've been out on one short but very steep training walk to check them out.
One of the topics of conversation we had on this training walk yesterday was when we thought our new shoes would be considered ready to go and broken in.
The fine balance between worn in and wearing out.
20klm, 40klm, 200klm?.
There may not be any correct answer to this, just between us we speculated wildly on different lengths, but we wondered what the general group consensus would be.
Our latest walk is a planned Camino Frances to Ponferrada before switching to the Invierno and walking through to Finisterre, so around 1100klm.
We're keen on having the shoes worn in by the time we leave but not worn out so much that they have lost much of their mojo before we finish.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We've settled on our new boots for our -soleupcoming CF/Invierno in August.
Merrell's for him, Salomon's for her.
We've been out on one short but very steep training walk to check them out.
One of the topics of conversation we had on this training walk yesterday was when we thought our new shoes would be considered ready to go and broken in.
The fine balance between worn in and wearing out.
20klm, 40klm, 200klm?.
There may not be any correct answer to this, just between us we speculated wildly on different lengths, but we wondered what the general group consensus would be.
Our latest walk is a planned Camino Frances to Ponferrada before switching to the Invierno and walking through to Finisterre, so around 1100klm.
We're keen on having the shoes worn in by the time we leave but not worn out so much that they have lost much of their mojo before we finish.
This is an interesting question. I know I have crossed the line in the past and worn out a pair Keen Targhee boots while on the Camino. I don't have a clear answer, but the factors that I think go to this would indicate that 1100 km will be a stretch, and I wouldn't be using them too much beforehand beyond making sure that they work for the longer walk you are planning.

The conventional answer for footwear constructed with a compressible mid-sole is that they have a useful life of around 800 km, but that seems quite variable. Two things happen:
  • the outer sole wears through, exposing the softer mid-sole, which in turn, then wears much faster. For me, this happens on the heels and toes of the sole. It is possible to keep wearing the shoe, it just doesn't grip quite so well.
  • the compressible middle layer starts to collapse, and lose its capacity to recover its bounce. You can see that the exposed areas of the mid-soles at the sides of the heel start to wrinkle as they stop expanding back to the full height they had when new. As a slightly heavier person, I find that this seems to happen sooner for me than for others who aren't carrying as much weight. This won't prevent you using the boot or shoe, but they won't give your feet the same cushioning that they had when the footwear was new.
    • I have recently had set of mid height boots where on one boot, the mid-sole started to collapse on one side, effectively tilting the boot at the ankle. It seemed that there was sufficient time for the mid-sole to recover overnight, and it gradually collapsed during the day.
The other approach would be to identify where along the way you will be able to find replacements, or arrange for replacements to be sent somewhere close to the 700 or 800 km mark for your camino. If that is too extreme, work out where you will be able to get to a reasonable outdoors outfitter and find broadly equivalent shoes, then keep an eye on how your current shoes are wearing as you go.

Tricky one. Here's my take on it.

Most modern hiking footwear does not really need 'breaking in'.
Not like the old leather hiking boots I used 40-50 years ago!

For me, it's a question of breaking in my feet.
Just to make sure the footwear and my sock choice works OK.
Once everything seems OK, I tend to put them aside.

Some modern footwear, due to 'innovation', weight saving and most likely cost saving, is not that robust.

Whilst I love my Hoka Stinsons, they are a lightweight construction, so I used one pair training and a new pair for my Camino.
The lining started to fail at about 500 kms.......

I read somewhere that the expected life of these shoes is only 500-800 kms.
Mine made it to 1,200 with the aid of duct tape.

When I got home last month, I ordered 4 more pairs (they were on 50% discount)
That should see me OK for 4 more Caminos.......

I bought ahead, as designs, materials, and sizing seems to frequently change.
And I don't want to go through the whole evaluation and selection process again!

So in summary.
Like your feet.
Don't wear out your footwear before you go ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
2015-07-07 15.22.17.jpg

I had this 'problem' when I walked about 1700 kms from Burgundy to Santiago in 2015. Because I knew beforehand, I bought the exact same shoes (apart from the colour...) before I left and asked my parents to send me my new shoes to the post office where I would be when I needed them.

I took this photo in an albergue in Frómista, where I fetched my new shoes at the post office. The next day I walked on my new shoes carrying the old ones just in case, but after a couple of hours I threw them away. No break in needed. But I have to say that this brand and type of shoes are my absolute favorite and have always been well for my feet. I still walk on them, I think about my 8th or 9th pair by now.

If I am switching to new boots/shoes- I tend to try a few short walks of 5km, and then at least one of 12-20km to check out if there are any issues. This tends to give me a good sense. But if I am switching to exactly the same model of trail runners I am less worried and a short walk is generally all I really both with. With trail runners they don't last as long compared to my boots/shoes so I definitely don't use them too much beforehand.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use the same brand and last of shoe now all the time and keep extra new pairs in the closet in case they quit making them. For me it is La Sportiva Bushido II in the summer and La Sportiva mid height GTX Raptors for winter Caminos. I also use there same shoes year round for walking, hiking, and snowshoeing as weather predicts. I walk to work in them and keep a pair of dressier shoes under my desk.

I find that I never need a break in period and I change them out when the lugs wear smoother on the bottom and provide little traction. I always wear a brand new pair on my Caminos.

My husband does the same with his trail runners which are a wide version of the New Balance Fresh Foam More trail shoes. He tends to break down the outside aspect of the left foot. Probably how he walks. He always has a new pair in the closet.

Usually we have to get some weird colors every year, but if it is the same shoe we are no slave to fashion...

I use the same brand and last of shoe now all the time and keep extra new pairs in the closet in case they quit making them. For me it is La Sportiva Bushido II in the summer and La Sportiva mid height GTX Raptors for winter Caminos. I also use there same shoes year round for walking, hiking, and snowshoeing as weather predicts. I walk to work in them and keep a pair of dressier shoes under my desk.

I find that I never need a break in period and I change them out when the lugs wear smoother on the bottom and provide little traction. I always wear a brand new pair on my Caminos.

My husband does the same with his trail runners which are a wide version of the New Balance Fresh Foam More trail shoes. He tends to break down the outside aspect of the left foot. Probably how he walks. He always has a new pair in the closet.

Usually we have to get some weird colors every year, but if it is the same shoe we are no slave to fashion...
I love the La Sportiva GTX Ultra Raptors, too. They fit my narrow heels so well. But I found La Sportiva puts out a redesign every couple of years. I did buy two pair of the first model I used and then could no longer get it and both pairs were slick on the bottom by then. So, I reluctantly bought the Ultra Raptor II. To my relief they are just as good, maybe even a little better. Because these will no doubt change in a couple of years, I plan to buy another pair as soon as I get my next REI 20% off coupon. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Somewhere I heard this advice. Break in your Camino shoes one month before you start your walk.
I have nine months until my first walk begins. So I bought a new pair of Merrell’s to begin my training fully expecting to wear them out or replace them in eight months.
We’ll see how it goes.

I bought the exact same shoes
Hi Luka, what brand shoe do you wear? I cannot tell even though the pictures are very nice.

This is so true. We hear quite a few complaints that newer models of a brand with the same "name" are often different.

Also, don't forget the physical weight involved of the person wearing the shoes. A much heavier individual will have both the insoles and treads wear down faster than a much lighter weight person wearing the same shoe.

La Sportiva mid height GTX Raptors for winter Caminos. I also use there same shoes year round for walking, hiking, and snowshoeing as weather predicts.
Mine lost most of the heel lugs around 500 km and the rear ankle cushion is separating after about 700 km but they are still VERY COMFORTABLE. Yes, I bought a new pair for this September's Camino. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wear sandals now, but on my first couple of Caminos I wore New Balance trail runners. I trained in one pair, then bought an identical pair for the Camino. I wore them on a couple of long walks just to make sure that there were no manufacturing defects that would be a problem. I had no issues.

Hi Luka, what brand shoe do you wear? I cannot tell even though the pictures are very nice.

Scarpa Zen Pro. I didn't name the brand, because I recently found out that Scarpa unfortunately doesn't make them anymore. I just ordered every pair that I could still find in my size. So in a week or so I'll be the owner of 3 pairs of brand new Scarpa Zens and 1 pair with only 26 kms under its belt... 🙈

In about 4/5 years I'll have to start searching for the best alternative...

Like others who have posted, I have bought a supply of identical shoes. When starting a new pair, I check for defects or deviations by walking 10 or 20 km, and that is all. Unless they are leather, they don't need "breaking in." My shoes are the super-cushioned runners that are known to maintain their comfort for no more than 500 km, at least for fussy feet like mine. Most people seem to have more tolerant feet than mine.

If you have a new model, you'll want to test them for your feet for a longer period, including 3 consecutive days of 20 km. (Notice that I said "test" and not "break in.")

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tricky one. Here's my take on it.

Most modern hiking footwear does not really need 'breaking in'.
Not like the old leather hiking boots I used 40-50 years ago!

For me, it's a question of breaking in my feet.
Just to make sure the footwear and my sock choice works OK.
Once everything seems OK, I tend to put them aside.

Some modern footwear, due to 'innovation', weight saving and most likely cost saving, is not that robust.

Whilst I love my Hoka Stinsons, they are a lightweight construction, so I used one pair training and a new pair for my Camino.
The lining started to fail at about 500 kms.......

I read somewhere that the expected life of these shoes is only 500-800 kms.
Mine made it to 1,200 with the aid of duct tape.

When I got home last month, I ordered 4 more pairs (they were on 50% discount)
That should see me OK for 4 more Caminos.......

And I don't want to go through the whole evaluation and selection process again!

So in summary.
Like your feet.
Don't wear out your footwear before you go ;)
This is a great approach. I may do it myself from now on.

Agree on how any particular model changes year to year. Brooks Ghosts fit my feet better than all other shoes/boots I have tried (and I routinely test shoes at LL Bean Freeport store and REI). I always do about 100 km break-in and test prior to Camino. On my first pair, trekking the CF, the uppers disconnected from soles on both shoes a few days prior to Ponferrada. In Ponferrada I stitched them together with dental floss. They lasted all the way to Muxia, then Finisterre, then did Camino Ingles. Upon return to USA I returned them for full credit. Second pair almost made it to Santiago before stitching was required. Third wore through ankle fabric after 2 weeks and almost made it to Finisterre before uppers detached. Same on 4th. 5th, outer sole half peeled off one shoe on Meseta, but had no effect on walking the rest of the Camino, This year, the Ghost 15's did CF, Muxia/Finisterre and CI, and only a bit of the outer sole wore through. I wont return them; Brooks might be finally getting it right! Maybe I will buy a few pairs when they go on sale. Forgot to say the Brooks innersoles fail after about a week on Camino. I usually replace them once or twice prior to completion.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.