• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

shopping for supplies in Ponferrada?

HPalola

Time of past OR future Camino
Taking about 12 days for my first Camino walk in July, 2015. Starting in Ponferrada.
Is there a place in Ponferrada to buy trekking poles? I want to arrive in Spain with carry on only (to avoid possible lost luggage delaying my start) and suspect that carrying poles onto the plane will not be allowed. TIA for your ideas.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Last edited:
I purchased a water bladder here, and I think they had trekking poles as well:
Deportes Marqués
Calle Ave Maria, 31
24402 Ponferrada

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a Camino supplies shop on Calle Reloj (near the clock tower, between the Castle and the Plaza de Ayuntamiento) . It's called Fitz Roy. Has a good range of shoes (Teva etc), sleeping bags etc. I only had a quick look this am but I will double check and report back if it doesn't sell poles :) Lots of souvenir shops sell single wooden 'staffs' but they look like more of a hindrance than a help to actually walking! (by the way can I add an ad for PacerPoles, made in UK and only available by mail from the makers. I'm a total convert)

As the original post was from Apr 15, 2015 I am pretty sure that the pilgrim got their walking poles alright ;-) Buen Camino, SY

@ SYates, I think you're probably right:) But as I'd come across this thread looking for info on a Ponferrada supplies shop, I thought I'd share what I found out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a Camino supplies shop on Calle Reloj (near the clock tower, between the Castle and the Plaza de Ayuntamiento) . It's called Fitz Roy. Has a good range of shoes (Teva etc), sleeping bags etc. I only had a quick look this am but I will double check and report back if it doesn't sell poles :) Lots of souvenir shops sell single wooden 'staffs' but they look like more of a hindrance than a help to actually walking! (by the way can I add an ad for PacerPoles, made in UK and only available by mail from the makers. I'm a total convert)
@newgabe:
The OP wants trekking poles, so that is obviously what she expects to work for her. But as a "total convert" to Pacer Poles you might reconsider making negative remarks about wooden staves. I walked with one, bought from a store on the camino, from St Jean Pied to Port to Santaigo last fall. It was exactly what I needed. I left a pair of trekking poles at home, after trying them out on a trail and deciding that they are not for me. I am taking that staff, with a new rubber tip, back with me this fall. Different strokes for different folks. Of course, there is a lot of junk sold in souvenir shops. One has to be selective.

@newgabe:
you might reconsider making negative remarks about wooden staves. I walked with one, bought from a store on the camino, from St Jean Pied to Port to Santaigo last fall. It was exactly what I needed. I left a pair of trekking poles at home, after trying them out on a trail and deciding that they are not for me. I am taking that staff, with a new rubber tip, back with me this fall. Different strokes for different folks. Of course, there is a lot of junk sold in souvenir shops. One has to be selective.
Point taken, Albertagirl. I was basing on how many people I've seen walking along carrying, rather than using them (also applies to other poles) :) Whatever keeps you upright and happy...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Really helpful newgabe, thanks! I'll hot-foot it over there on Sunday when I arrive and will look up PacerPoles when I get home :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.