• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How light was your backpack for Camino Frances (800 km)

santhi

Time of past OR future Camino
Can someone suggest how light was your backpack? I am thinking of not exceeding 3 kg. Is that possible? I would love to hear from those who had travelled with around that weight. I am not getting any company to carry by baggage for me as that defeats the purpose of going on the pilgrim.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Can someone suggest how light was your backpack? I am thinking of not exceeding 3 kg. Is that possible? I would love to hear from those who had travelled with around that weight. I am not getting any company to carry by baggage for me as that defeats the purpose of going on the pilgrim.

That is incredibly lightweight and unless you are very Spartan I think you will have to settle for more.
In the right upper corner of this forum you will find a searchbox .Type in some keywords and there you go.

Take a look at the posts from @SYates who gives good info on pack and content.

@santhi I’m not sure how carrying or not carrying a backpack equates to the purpose of pilgrimage but that isn’t a debate for this forum.

Given that even a modern, expensive, backpack is likely to weigh close to 1kg before you even put anything in it I think your target weight is over ambitious. 5-6kg is more realistic; then add water and food.

The advice above, to research packing lists is excellent

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This pilgrim on reddit says that they packed only 3kg, and has a lighterpack link/list that shows everything they packed. Very admirable and inspires me to go back to my own packing list and try to trim more things.
I’d read their list and check their maths before I got too inspired. They’ve used a mixture of imperial and metric units. Some of the conversions are dubious: there are 28g to the ounce.

But, really, this is one of those silly debates. Pack what you need. If there’s anything you need that you didn’t pack you can buy it. If half way to Santiago you discover that you brought something you didn’t need give it away or post it home.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll zag from the rest of the group here and say I think 3kg is possible, though difficult.

My Frances pack was a 30L weighing in at 13lb / 6kg, including a full 1L water bottle. I probably could have gotten it down to 10lb / 4.5kg but below that I would have needed to get pretty spartan for my needs.

That said, I think someone could get to 3kg if their goal was to go "alpine style", as they say in mountaineering.

Last edited:
Without extreme measures I took only 5.2kg without water in July 2019.
Most of the equipment I had already, just bought a silk liner, a soapbox and some meshsacks for easy stuffing.

On my CP last year almost the same, a bit more heavier due to heavier cameragear and a more sophisticated backpack from LoweAlpine.

Sure it is possible if you leave out sleeping bag, rain gear, phone battery pack, immersion heater and cup, a layer of insulation, sun screen, dry bags, day/shopping bag, foot care stuff, and any paper notes/guides, and then your remaining items are carefully selected for light weight.

Ha, like in this clip. From minute 1.33 on.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’d read their list and check their maths before I got too inspired. They’ve used a mixture of imperial and metric units. Some of the conversions are dubious: there are 28g to the ounce.

But, really, this is one of those silly debates. Pack what you need. If there’s anything you need that you didn’t pack you can buy it. If half way to Santiago you discover that you brought something you didn’t need give it away or post it home.

I agree with "pack what you need!"

The behaviour on the lighterpack list is a quirk of lighterpack, not the fault of the pilgrim: when you check out someone's list, it will by default show you their "overall summary" in kg, and each subcategory's total in kg, but break down each item in "whatever unit is used in the list owner's dashboard," in that person's case, oz.

if you use the dropdown buttons, lighterpack will automagically convert to your unit of choice.

Using the dropdowns to convert to grams on that person's list, the conversions seem correct: 4oz = 113g for example.

I think where the list is more "edited for vanity" and dubious is where they've converted items to worn weight that I would not have considered worn weight: 1lb or 458g of electronics counted as worn weight, for example, because they're in the person's pockets.

I still think the weight of their pack stuff + worn weight, altogether, is admirable - less than 5kg or 11lb.

Noted. I did follow the link to their “recommended” backpack. 21 liters of slack cloth. I wouldn’t use that to take my dirty sheets to the laundromat but, each to their own 😉
Agree, their backpack is basically a big dry bag! 🤣 But it seems to have worked out well for them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, I never weighed it, but can tell you my body weight was too much, and oops, realized I had to carry it too..

Ha ha! When I used to ride motorcycles there would be people arguing on forums about how to get their bike lighter and lighter, investing hundreds and then thousands of dollars to reduce a few ounces here and there with titanium this and carbon fiber that. Inevitably, someone would point out the easiest and cheapest means of weight reduction is just for the rider to start skipping desert.

I guess the flip side of that is that if you can get your Camino pack from 15lb down to 5lb, then you're free to consume 10lbs of crema catalan on your journey at no net gain!

Last edited:
Damn... thats a lot of less-than-helpful replies from some veterans here... i have to say that i am a bit disappointed.

So lets try to get some things in order and try to answer the question
(or at least point you in some kind of helpful direction):

1. Get familiar with the concept of diminishing returns. Going from a 7kg pack to a 5kg pack will make more difference than going from 5kg to 3kg. I explicitly chose to pack more things for added comfort and came out at 3.6kg and might even add more things and get closer to 4kg for my next camino. (link of 3.6kg list in signature, i'll post a screenshot of a how an example of ~2,5kg list would look at the end of the post. Feel free to compare)
2. Usually pack weight is measured in "base weight" to get some kind of means of comparison. I calculate my base weight as a worst case scenario, meaning that i calculate the bare minimum as worn weight and the maximum as weight in my pack. In practice you'll likely wear more so your pack will be even lighter than calculated.
3. Usually base weight is without consumables (like water, snacks and food), again for making things easier to compare. So usually, since going without consumeables is a bit stupid, that will make your pack in practice heavier. The lighter the baseweight the more difference the same amount of consumables will make.
4. Usually (using this word a lot) to get down to that kind of weights you'll use a frameless pack. Those get their rigidity from being properly filled. A pack to empty will not carry well. This is important! Get your other stuff first, find out how much volume that is, then buy a pack. (or figure out a way to compensate volume, like compression cords or in my case a EVA matress). A properly packed frameless backpack will easily carry 6kg or more in total weight (gear+consumables).
5. Now do your research. Unless you are extremely lucky to have a dedicated ultralight outfitter close to you, your source of information will be the internet. There is no single-one-fits-all list of stuff to buy. You have to figure out what is important for you and what you can do without.
6. Be aware that getting down to pack weights like 3kg is combination of 3 things: a) packing smart (investment=time) b) expensive stuff (investment=money) c) packing little (investment=comfort). Up to some point you can trade between those factors.

Feel free to ask more questions, but to be honest, i'd appreciate it if you did some more research into ultralight packing first and be a bit more specific in your follow up.

1706043323884.png

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I got down to 4.5 kg pack weight, not including worn weight, for my last two summer caminos. 3 kg is really hitting the lower limit of weight, imho. You would need an ultralight backpack, such as gossamer gear or other boutique brand which would basically be a sack on your back. Remember, there is light weight and “stupid light”. (stolen I think from Andrew Skurka). To me, stupid light is when you have packed items that are so light light they are non functional, which is pointless and self defeating.
Over seven or so Caminos I have made a study of packing light. I am older with some orthopedic problems and getting light is important to me. Also I enjoy obsessing about my packing list. Based on my experience and on talking to many pilgrims, on average, 7 kg is a decent, not excessive, weight to carry. In the range of 7-9 kg you could probably cut weight somewhere. If over 10 kg, I think you should seriously examine your packing list. Of course there may be individual reasons why this may not work for everyone.
If you’re young, strong, and healthy you probably don’t have to worry a lot about getting ultralight. But over my caminos, I have seen five strong looking young people limping along with knee pain. I asked to lift their pack and all were carrying 15 kg or more! Also, it takes a lot of experience and trial and error for most people to get really light. Even with a lot of experience, on every camino there comes a time when I throw stuff out or send a package to Casa Ivar.

Last edited:
Damn... thats a lot of less-than-helpful replies from some veterans here... i have to say that i am a bit disappointed.

So lets try to get some things in order and try to answer the question
(or at least point you in some kind of helpful direction):

1. Get familiar with the concept of diminishing returns. Going from a 7kg pack to a 5kg pack will make more difference than going from 5kg to 3kg. I explicitly chose to pack more things for added comfort and came out at 3.6kg and might even add more things and get closer to 4kg for my next camino. (link of 3.6kg list in signature, i'll post a screenshot of a how an example of ~2,5kg list would look at the end of the post. Feel free to compare)
2. Usually pack weight is measured in "base weight" to get some kind of means of comparison. I calculate my base weight as a worst case scenario, meaning that i calculate the bare minimum as worn weight and the maximum as weight in my pack. In practice you'll likely wear more so your pack will be even lighter than calculated.
3. Usually base weight is without consumables (like water, snacks and food), again for making things easier to compare. So usually, since going without consumeables is a bit stupid, that will make your pack in practice heavier. The lighter the baseweight the more difference the same amount of consumables will make.
4. Usually (using this word a lot) to get down to that kind of weights you'll use a frameless pack. Those get their rigidity from being properly filled. A pack to empty will not carry well. This is important! Get your other stuff first, find out how much volume that is, then buy a pack. (or figure out a way to compensate volume, like compression cords or in my case a EVA matress). A properly packed frameless backpack will easily carry 6kg or more in total weight (gear+consumables).
5. Now do your research. Unless you are extremely lucky to have a dedicated ultralight outfitter close to you, your source of information will be the internet. There is no single-one-fits-all list of stuff to buy. You have to figure out what is important for you and what you can do without.
6. Be aware that getting down to pack weights like 3kg is combination of 3 things: a) packing smart (investment=time) b) expensive stuff (investment=money) c) packing little (investment=comfort). Up to some point you can trade between those factors.

Feel free to ask more questions, but to be honest, i'd appreciate it if you did some more research into ultralight packing first and be a bit more specific in your follow up.

View attachment 162597
Great reply! I would add, similar to what you have written, that there are three factors to consider in ultralight weight backpacking:
1. Weight
2. Durability/functionality
3. Cost.
You can optimize any two of these at a time but not the third. That is you can get low weight and high durability/function but you will have to pay a higher cost. But even cheap, less durable stuff can last over the course of a one month camino.

My 'normal' pack weight is 6.5 kg excl water/food.
Could I get down to 3kg?
Yes of course (on the Frances).
But it becomes a balancing act with weight v comfort.
I carry meds, knee supports etc etc.

It would require a small ultralite pack. (not very comfortable)
Very little change of clothing and an ultralite poncho for rain protection.
Probabaly no sleeping bag.

Sure it can be done.
We all have different needs and a different tolerance for weight v comfort.

Maybe lay out your 3kg pile of gear and see what it looks like.
What would you add if you took 4kg?
or 5kg?

Do you really 'need' those additional items or not?
Maybe you'll be OK with your 3KG list?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great reply! I would add, similar to what you have written, that there are three factors to consider in ultralight weight backpacking:
1. Weight
2. Durability/functionality
3. Cost.
You can optimize any two of these at a time but not the third. That is you can get low weight and high durability/function but you will have to pay a higher cost. But even cheap, less durable stuff can last over the course of a one month camino.

I think I would add a fourth.
Comfort.
Ultralite gear 'tends' to be less comfortable.
Or could be part of your #2?

From spring to early autumn you could walk the Frances with a credit card and a toothbrush. If you’re really serious about minimalist walking, put your money where your mouth is and really impress us.

Whilst I’m happy for anyone to do as they like so long as it harm no other, it’s not an adventure race, it’s a countryside ramble.

I was going to say, if you really wanted to, you could walk with a plastic shopping bag containing some spare underwear, maybe a long spare shirt, a 500ml bottle of water and a toothbrush. Just the minimum of clothes to wear whilst you wash and dry your walking clothes.

Maybe lay that out, and work 'up' from there.
What would make sense to add?
What would make life more comfortable for me and others around me? (i.e. soap)

I'm sure with care you could manage to keep the weight as low as 3kg.

Most of us carry a bit more, but I think that's just that we all balance up that weight v comfort decision to the level of comfort we are hayy to drop to. In my case I wouldn't walk with my foam roller, knee braces, 3 sets of socks, good rain gear, my sun umbrella............it all adds up! But I make sure what I carry is the lightest version in the main, and I don't carry stuff that I don't use.

An example of that balancing act, is pack, at 1.2 kgs its not light!
But it's really comfortable and I have carried it about 3,000 kms on Camino so far.

Do keep us posted with how your pack planning goes.

Oh. another thought.
With only 3kg you might think of some form of hip belt / pack rather than a backpack.

1706051578614.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In summer, on the Francés, it should be very easy to get down to that weight if you've got enough money (= always stay in hotels / private rooms that offer bed linens, towels, soap, laundry service... and eat / drink in bars and restaurants whenever you want to).

All you'd need would be a spare set of underwear or a pyjama to wear at night while your clothes dry, and a toothbrush.

Put all that in a very light frameless pack like the cheap tiny decathlon one, add a single-use lightweight festival poncho as rain gear and a small water bottle + an emergency snack.

Decathlon 10l pack: ~50g
Pyjama/underwear: ~500g?
Festival poncho: ~ 100g?
Water plus one snack: ~500-600g?
Toothbrush

= Not even 1,5kg

Personally, I've given up on weighing everything. As long as it feels good on my back I'm happy. Usually my pack is ~8-12kg including camping equipment, 1-2l of water, one can of emergency beer and food for two days. And it still feels very comfortable to carry for me. But I like to be self sufficient just in case, and I am too poor for hotels or fancy ultralight gear.

That's the good thing about the Francés - whichever way you want to walk it, it's most likely possible.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am thinking of not exceeding 3 kg.
Why? Think about what you think you need, decide if you can carry it or not and don´t go anywhere near a set of scales. For what it is worth, a lightweight backpack will weigh about 1kg, a litre of water (the minimum you should carry) weighs another kg. That´s 1 kg left for everything else. Travel light, but don´t obsess about things that don´t matter, e.g. the measured weight of your pack.

Travel light, but don´t obsess about things that don´t matter, e.g. the measured weight of your pack.
I never weigh my pack unless I think it is close to airline weight limits. Unless I am taking camping gear that is very unlikely. I try to keep my Camino packing to essentials and use the lightest gear that I think is suitable for the route and season. The only significant question I ask myself is "Do I need this?". If the answer is 'yes' then it goes in the bag. If 'no' then it is probably left behind. Weighing an item would make no difference to the answer so why bother?

Well, we all need to carry water in summer, 2 litres is often necessary.

Pack 1 kilo, 2 litres of water 2 kilos = 3 kilos .... so ....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A somewhat concerning predicament.....

Assuming the 20% to body weight rule, that's a body weight of 15kg.

Are we going to witness airborne pilgrims being blown off a windy hillside?

Last year on the Portuguese my pack was around 10 lbs without food/water. There was at least 1-2 lbs of “stuff” in there that I didn’t need or didn’t use. Yes, I have a lot of ultralight gear and I used a 19L pack from Gossamer Gear. I guess I am getting better with my packing, but I might take a different pack or gear if I was going on a different route or in a different season.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, it is possible. I did the Camino Francés in March / April 2023. My backpack weighted 3,1 kg when I starred in SJPDP and 2,6 kg when I reached SDC. If the goal is minimizing weight (without renouncing to a minimum confort), you can use plenty of tricks.

In my case, the backpack itself was a 20L Salomon. Instead of a sleepbag, I carried just a liner. I wore no pajamas to sleep, but the fresh tshirt I would use next morning to walk. No champoo, no gel, no washing machine soap, just a 80 gr. piece of soap which was used both for my hair, skin and to wash my clothes. No backup shoes, no powerbank for the mobile, no camera... The towel was a very small microfiber one... Given the frequent opportunities to drink and eat along the Camino, I almost never carried water or food.

Would I have appreciated the additional confort some more items would have provided me? Of course. Would I trade this additional confort in exchange for the extraweight? No way. I will stick with the bigger confort this very limited weight provides.

A somewhat concerning predicament.....

Assuming the 20% to body weight rule, that's a body weight of 15kg.

Are we going to witness airborne pilgrims being blown off a windy hillside?
I've never heard of a 20% if body weight "rule." The advice more often in 10% of body weight.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'd say it is possible but not comfortable. On my Caminos my pack always ends up weighing 4 kg. The perfect pack weight for me. I've walked in May, July and October with the same pack weight.

1st Camino my pack and water weighed 15kg (1l of water incl)

learned a lot the first time and shaved 2.5kg off the second

3rd time and I was just under 10kg

next time will be less again

50+ year old male walked Frances 22 days

don't sweat the small stuff. Most take too much and jettison some, others take less than they need and buy what they require en route.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My pack weighed in at just under 10 kilos. It took a lot of culling to get down to that. Not sure how I’d get down to 3 kilos. For sure no sleeping bag.

1st Camino my pack and water weighed 15kg (1l of water incl)

learned a lot the first time and shaved 2.5kg off the second

3rd time and I was just under 10kg

next time will be less again

50+ year old male walked Frances 22 days

don't sweat the small stuff. Most take too much and jettison some, others take less than they need and buy what they require en route.
I completed the Camino Frances in September.
My base weight was 6kg using an Osprey Stratos 36LT. No sleeping bag, just an inner.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
14 pounds not including water...

But, really, this is one of those silly debates. Pack what you need.

Or what you want if you are capable of carrying it without too much physical grief.

I carried 17 kg on my first Camino which was a struggle, but I managed. Nowadays I carry about 12 kg including food and water. As I get older and more buggered I will carry less, use transport, or stay home and watch the footy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @Anhalter
Thanks for your list. I need to look at it in more detail to help with my own. Your list is similar to mine, except I have 7.5kg "base weight". You rucksack def beats my Osprey (900g) and I normally go to the store with travel scales to weight my kit. Guess I need to try a bit harder, your list has inspired me.

Walk with what you need, and no more. I have never weighed my pack. I have always had a strong back. When I feel off-balance or overloaded I re-distribute the weight in my pack and that usually solves it.
I think a lot of people way over-think and over-plan. We all are so obsessed with controlling every detail of our camino, when the camino is all about letting go of control.

I was going to say, if you really wanted to, you could walk with a plastic shopping bag containing some spare underwear, maybe a long spare shirt, a 500ml bottle of water and a toothbrush. Just the minimum of clothes to wear whilst you wash and dry your walking clothes.

Maybe lay that out, and work 'up' from there.
What would make sense to add?
What would make life more comfortable for me and others around me? (i.e. soap)

I'm sure with care you could manage to keep the weight as low as 3kg.

Most of us carry a bit more, but I think that's just that we all balance up that weight v comfort decision to the level of comfort we are hayy to drop to. In my case I wouldn't walk with my foam roller, knee braces, 3 sets of socks, good rain gear, my sun umbrella............it all adds up! But I make sure what I carry is the lightest version in the main, and I don't carry stuff that I don't use.

An example of that balancing act, is pack, at 1.2 kgs its not light!
But it's really comfortable and I have carried it about 3,000 kms on Camino so far.

Do keep us posted with how your pack planning goes.

Oh. another thought.
With only 3kg you might think of some form of hip belt / pack rather than a backpack.

View attachment 162600
I haven’t been brave enough to do it yet but there is the “wear one, wash one” option which takes my normally 6kg pack down to 2 1/2kg but it is a very harsh sift to go basic and use the waist bag…one day though 😁

Attachments

• da96b9e7-c2a9-474e-af70-acf66119752b.jpeg
    da96b9e7-c2a9-474e-af70-acf66119752b.jpeg
    675.6 KB · Views: 39
  • fb1dd60d-f125-48cb-853f-b17b2f2b4eb0.jpeg
    fb1dd60d-f125-48cb-853f-b17b2f2b4eb0.jpeg
    595.8 KB · Views: 34
Walk with what you need, and no more. I have never weighed my pack. I have always had a strong back. When I feel off-balance or overloaded I re-distribute the weight in my pack and that usually solves it.
I think a lot of people way over-think and over-plan. We all are so obsessed with controlling every detail of our camino, when the camino is all about letting go of control.
I like the way you think…but when I look at the lists of items in pack packs, having walked a part of the Camino with 12kgs, don’t know how to reduce the weight. Seeing folks saying that they walk with 3 to 6 kgs makes me wonder..

I like the way you think…but when I look at the lists of items in pack packs, having walked a part of the Camino with 12kgs, don’t know how to reduce the weight. Seeing folks saying that they walk with 3 to 6 kgs makes me wonder..
If you can't reduce the weight intuitively you can go the "hard" way and put every single item on your backpack on a (kitchen) scale, note its weight and put into excel or lighterpack. All the added weight should sum to the total of your packed backpack. Then you can go compare with other lists. See who does what differently and takes different items. After that, you can start the thought process on why someone has less weight in a given area and if it is an option for you to optimize at any point.
This is not to say you have to do everything exactly like someone else. But - for example - if your clothing sums up to 3,5kg and the the clothing of another 1,5kg you can still decide if you, for personal/luxury/whatever reasons want to keep that higher weight or start optimizing down. It will be a trade of of some point between comfort and weight, but on the other hand you can be quite comfortable and very light.

A detailled list also makes it a lot easier for everybody helping you to give substantiated recommendations...

(and personally, i have absolutely no idea how much stuff i'd need to pack to even get to 6kg, much less 12kg.)

If you can't reduce the weight intuitively you can go the "hard" way and put every single item on your backpack on a (kitchen) scale, note its weight and put into excel or lighterpack. All the added weight should sum to the total of your packed backpack. Then you can go compare with other lists. See who does what differently and takes different items. After that, you can start the thought process on why someone has less weight in a given area and if it is an option for you to optimize at any point.
This is not to say you have to do everything exactly like someone else. But - for example - if your clothing sums up to 3,5kg and the the clothing of another 1,5kg you can still decide if you, for personal/luxury/whatever reasons want to keep that higher weight or start optimizing down. It will be a trade of of some point between comfort and weight, but on the other hand you can be quite comfortable and very light.

A detailled list also makes it a lot easier for everybody helping you to give substantiated recommendations...

(and personally, i have absolutely no idea how much stuff i'd need to pack to even get to 6kg, much less 12kg.)
I have been training with 10 kgs but need to add a CPAP machine, water and some food so we are talking a total of 12 kgs maximum. I have shortened my list down to what I consider bare minimum and still arrive at 10 kgs. It worries me because I failed one Camino already (Olvidado);and don’t want to fail again this time on the Francès.

I have been training with 10 kgs but need to add a CPAP machine, water and some food so we are talking a total of 12 kgs maximum. I have shortened my list down to what I consider bare minimum and still arrive at 10 kgs. It worries me because I failed one Camino already (Olvidado);and don’t want to fail again this time on the Francès.
Well you could post your list and let everyone pick through it... Its a risk, but if might help you reconsider what you are considering essential. How much does the pack weigh while empty?

Last year my backpack weight was between 4-5 kg food and water included .
I was with Mammut ducan 30 l . The backpack is 890grams which is pretty good for backpack with frame imho. I also carried 1 l of water .
Compared to most of the pilgrims on Frances I was ultralight I guess :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For me, it’s the size of the bag as I like to choose discount airlines and then avoid the baggage fees. This means a backpack that can fit “under seat” to meet the regulations of RyanAir, Vueling, Norse, JetBlue, etc. Why? It saves me $40-$80usd on each flight, meaning I can do more Caminos!!!! 6’ and 250lbs, so my clothes definitely take up room, but I find the feeling of letting go and traveling light very freeing. Two outfits, plus one extra pair of socks and underwear. Hat, jacket, sleep sack, and assorted little items. It works and it makes albergue life (packing/unpacking) so much easier.

And to misquote the Fresh Prince’s parents, “You go to the Camino to learn, not for a fashion show”

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You didn't fail. You walked, learned, and found a more suitable end point for your first Camino. Keep training, trimming your gear weight, and have no worries. Very best of luck and Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You didn't fail. You walked, learned, and found a more suitable end point for your first Camino. Keep training, trimming your gear weight, and have no worries. Very best of luck and Buen Camino!
Your comment is much appreciated. I leave Bayonne, France for Pamplona on April 4th and then the Camino Frances probably to Burgos. I would like to take my time to reach Santiago and then walk down to Porto, Portugal..so the second leg of the trip might well occur in September. Hola el Meseta y mas.

4.552 k first time
4.339 k second time.
Small older woman, 20 l pack. Silk sleeping bag liner + down blanket. Doesn't include weight of water or any food. Spring/autumn caminos. Minimising pack weight to give me the freedom of carrying my own pack, hence gram-counting.
@BarbaraW I would love to see your packing list. 🙂 Do you have any light weight items you particularly love or recommend?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My pack weighed 10 kilos and I didn't use a baggage service. I know some people have to.
This business of how light can I go seems to me to be a race to the bottom, why not just go Reacher on it and just bring a toothbrush in your pocket, forget about getting into trouble with weather conditions etc.
My advice, bring what you need for a safe journey of varying conditions and forget about how light you can go.

My advice, bring what you need for a safe journey of varying conditions and forget about how light you can go.
I agree. Sometimes it feels as if stripping back on pack weight has become a game in its own right and in the more extreme cases a fetish. Going far beyond practical limits. I think that very few people who are physically capable of walking a Camino are genuinely incapable of carrying the sensible minimum of gear needed.

€83,-
bring what you need for a safe journey

carrying the sensible minimum of gear needed

Now we can all define "minimum" in different ways, but i find it kind of offensive to assume that light packing implicates that one has not packed the "required minimum" needed on a camino. Honestly, i assume packing only what I define as a "minimum" is somewhere around 2,5kg. With my 4kg packed, i already carry quite some items i deem "luxuries". Even if i was packing for a camino in deep winter and was to bring a tent i'd likely not exceed the 6-7kg range (again, with various not "minimum needed" luxury items). So if i was to apply the same logic i would have to say that i have no idea about how to reach a 10kg pack weight without taking all kinds of useless junk with me. But since everyone packs differently... guess theres a reason for the stated weights. But please refrain from the factually wrong statement that lighter packs are somehow stupid because one would not have "enough gear" in it.

But please refrain from the factually wrong statement that lighter packs are somehow stupid because one would not have "enough gear" in it.
I am not arguing that any particular weight or packing list is "enough" or "not enough". That will depend so much on circumstances. Time of year, route, choice of accommodation, and so on. Too many variables. But I have in mind for example questions like "Should I take a sleeping bag in April?" when so many albergues have withdrawn blankets, heating may be minimal or completely absent, and overnight temperatures may drop to near zero in some areas. I would consider leaving my sleeping bag behind in a situation like that just to save pack weight a step too far.

I am not arguing that any particular weight or packing list is "enough" or "not enough". That will depend so much on circumstances. Time of year, route, choice of accommodation, and so on. Too many variables. But I have in mind for example questions like "Should I take a sleeping bag in April?" when so many albergues have withdrawn blankets, heating may be minimal or completely absent, and overnight temperatures may drop to near zero in some areas. I would consider leaving my sleeping bag behind in a situation like that just to save pack weight a step too far.
I can agree with that. But then, bringing a sleeping bag is not what makes a pack heavy and the somewhat applied assumption was (or it least felt like it to me) that optimizing for weight would imply doing questionable choices that one might later regret. (like not taking a sleeping bag in april).
And i strongly feel that this is not the case. Yes, i understand it is a different style of packing, and for various reasons it is not for everyone (frameless packs, expensive items). But it doesnt mean that optimizations can't be made...

(and just for the sake of completeness: Both, my 3,6kg loadout from 2022 and my theoretical 2,5kg list without all the luxuries do include a down sleeping bag rated for 13°C which was sufficiently warm so far, but i always slept inside and coldest outside was single digits)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
"@BarbaraW I would love to see your packing list. 🙂 Do you have any light weight items you particularly love or recommend?"

I invested in 3 lightweight bits of kit, which have been used a lot:

Marmot Precip rain jacket 269 gm; Exped Fold 22l dry bag 28gm (all clothing and bedding compressed into this, and it could hold everything in my pack so I didn’t need a rain cover or poncho); Sea to Summit Airlite towel 52x135cm 72 gm.

Rather than take adaptors I bought a 6gm continental 2 pin USB plug.

But the items of which I am sinfully proud are those I made myself:

Rain trousers 53gm; drawstring bag for toiletries, and pouch for meds etc16gm; base layer leggings (cut-off 60 denier tights) 47gm; small cotton lawn shoulder bag for credential etc 16gm; silk money belt 14gm; silk sleeping bag liner 67gm; silk robe to wear in bed:75gm.

The major saving, both in weight and financially was a quilt cum poncho. This was quite a project and involved locking myself in a bathroom wearing a mask and rain smock to transfer down from an old duvet into the channelled bag! It weighs 560gm and is very warm and compressible.

I invested in 3 lightweight bits of kit, which have been used a lot:

Marmot Precip rain jacket 269 gm; Exped Fold 22l dry bag 28gm (all clothing and bedding compressed into this, and it could hold everything in my pack so I didn’t need a rain cover or poncho); Sea to Summit Airlite towel 52x135cm 72 gm.

Rather than take adaptors I bought a 6gm continental 2 pin USB plug.

But the items of which I am sinfully proud are those I made myself:

Rain trousers 53gm; drawstring bag for toiletries, and pouch for meds etc16gm; base layer leggings (cut-off 60 denier tights) 47gm; small cotton lawn shoulder bag for credential etc 16gm; silk money belt 14gm; silk sleeping bag liner 67gm; silk robe to wear in bed:75gm.

The major saving, both in weight and financially was a quilt cum poncho. This was quite a project and involved locking myself in a bathroom wearing a mask and rain smock to transfer down from an old duvet into the channelled bag! It weighs 560gm and is very warm and compressible.
@BarbaraW Thank you so much for sharing, that is really helpful. 🙏 I am in awe of your skills. 🪡 I love to sew and you have given me some great ideas!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.