• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Silk Liner Feedback?

Nerak Giztips

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese (September 2023)
I just ordered this Lone Wolf edition Endura Silk Liner from TrekSilk. Based on reviews and other threads on this forum the brand seems like a safe choice, and I really like that is is extra wide, plus has a spot for pillow and side openings on both sides. 190 grams,and it’s a great price! (Best deal I found was on Etsy.) Has anyone used this?

www.silkliners.com

LONE WOLF SPECIAL EDITION: LARGE 100% Mulberry Silk Sleeping Bag Liner GREY
Extra Large Size 100% Pure Mulberry Silk Single Sleeping Bag Liner Travel Sack Sleeping Sheet - Seidenschlafsack
www.silkliners.com
www.silkliners.com

I also bought a Sea to Summit traveller so I could try them both, but I am worried about feeling hemmed in by Sea to Summit, plus it costs more. Anyone have a comparison between ripstop silk (StS) and Endura Mulberry silk (LW) ? I haven’t found much information on that.

Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
True, Real Silk is very light and surprisingly warm.

A frugal tip, also get as 100% Silk Shirt.... from a Thrift Shop.

Go to a Thrift Store. It may take a couple tries. Buy a used 100% Silk Shirt.

It may be a funny style, and an odd color.

But it will be warm and comfy to sleep in.
Very light weight, and dry quickly.

They say Silk protects against Bed Bugs..... protect your arms too.

On a those cold morning, predawn walks, when you need an extra layer.... use the Silk Shirt.

On a those cold morning, predawn walks, when you need an extra layer.... use the Silk Shirt.
That's a great tip! ... and I'm a thrifter, so I'll just add this to my normal thrifting shopping list! :cool:

Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We bought our “Silk Liners” on eBay from China. Good price. Long delivery. Worked well.

On a couple predawn mornings in late October, climbing through the mountains. Cruz de Ferro, O'Cebreiro

My wife wore her Silk Liner as a giant scarf, under her light jacket. Over her shoulder, covering most her back and chest.

Very warm.

Everything in your BackPack should have multiple uses.

Hola - I have no experience with this particular brand of silk liner. But have been using one for the better part of 15 years (inc 3 trips up Mt Kilimanjaro). I would recommend the silk liner as (by historical reference) bed bugs and lice can not live in silk. I do take the precaution of spraying my liner and sleeping bag with an appropriate repellent. Cheers

I like it, extra on width and pocket for pillows is a nice feature. I'm not sure about the merits of silk being anti-bug but why take chances plus silk is lightweight, packs compact and is pleasant against skin. I found my jungle blanket that I add for top layer on Autumn Camino slips and ends up on the floor but with this I can use liner as a external cover. Nice, another over engineered solution to a problem that didn't exist 🤠

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Silk is a great fabric - lightweight, dries quickly, feels smooth and silky. I have a silk liner.
"They" say a lot of things that are not true. Any finely-woven fabric offers a barrier between the skin and bedbugs.
bed bugs and lice can not live in silk
Where did you learn this, other than from "them"?

Loved my silk sheet but like above . . .

My down quilt would slide off, until I started using it inside my silk sheet sleeping bag. ;)
My current liner is too narrow and would be to restrictive and warm too attempt same and had thought about improvising with velcro attached to liner and blanket but with this extra wide liner there's no need. I'm quietly amused I no longer have to retrieve blanket from floor or tuck under my body as I always sleep on the top bunk 🤠

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My first night I had to jump off the top bunk 3 times to retrieve my blanket . . . :eek:
I would suggest attaching a bungie cord to bed post but no need. I used a lasso to retrieve mine and the whip crack away sound would startle sleeping pilgrims 🤠

The mulberry silk liner isn't available in double but ordered this one for less than a tenner as think extra room in sweaty albergue might be more convenient, remains to be seen how course it is against skin but advises that softens with washing 🤠

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My first night I had to jump off the top bunk 3 times to retrieve my blanket . . . :eek:

I would suggest attaching a bungie cord to bed post but no need. I used a lasso to retrieve mine and the whip crack away sound would startle sleeping pilgrims 🤠

It was a bunk with no ladder, shoved up against 4 other beds, so I woke 7 people everytime I got back up to my bed, but none of them realized why I kept getting up.

@edelstein -

I do not have first hand knowledge of the brand. I have used the Sea to Summit to great effect and am completely satisfied with it.

Yeah, it is a little confining....after my return home from my first Camino, my bride remarked that "You just roll in the same space in the bed, you never spread out anymore. It's like sleeping with a convenience store hot dog."

I remain uninformed after lo, these many years, whether this is a bad thing. :D

B

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Silk is a great fabric - lightweight, dries quickly, feels smooth and silky. I have a silk liner.

"They" say a lot of things that are not true. Any finely-woven fabric offers a barrier between the skin and bedbugs.

Hola C - do a little research. It was a well known fact in the 1910-20's If you do not have success I will post a link.

I bought a silk liner for my first camino, but just did not get on with it very well. Too slippery to lie on top of, too restricting and hot to sleep inside it in summer, and the blanket fell off when it was cold. Also, no pocket for pillow (not that those wide bolsters would have fitted anyway.

Instead, I now use a fine cotton liner, bought from the YHA over 40 years ago. Bit heavier, bit cooler, but blankets stay on top, it's quite wide and there is a pillow fold. Not sure what I'll do if it disintegrates through old age, but it's OK so far. Sometimes, the old stuff is the best stuff.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use a silk liner with my Sea to Summit bag. I unzip it almost all the way down -- my feet (which get coldest) are inside the zippered part. I lay on bag and throw the unzipped part over my body. I don't feel constricted this way, and if/when I wake up hot, I can just throw off the part covering me. I'm a small person, so this works for me.

Following this thread closely. Our Camino (CF) is planned for mid-September through October. We have silk liners but I’m wonder if that’s enough? We have been looking at jungle blankets but haven’t committed to those yet. In my research I came across these micro blankets that are used more as picnic blankets and ground cover. Does anyone have experience with them as an extra layer?

Following this thread closely. Our Camino (CF) is planned for mid-September through October. We have silk liners but I’m wonder if that’s enough? /
From everything I’ve read people’s individual experience vary widely depending on where they stay and what the weather is like. There’s no way to know if anything is enough. I ordered a snugpak brand “travelpak“ sleeping bag which opens all the way to make a blanket. Snugpak are the same people who make the jungle blanket. I haven’t tried it on the trail yet.
Here’s the amazon link.

I have been using the Sea to Summit ripstop silk liner, same one, since 2016. I've gotten decent mileage out of it (I estimate 60+ nights) and it's still going strong.

The ripstop texture isn't as comfortable as a plain silk liner, but it's probably key to it's longevity. Nonetheless, I think it's pretty luxurious. I love it when it's really hot out and just need a light covering at night. Insulative value is almost nonexistent, however. I can attest that it is not mosquito proof and I highly doubt that it offers any bedbug protection (thankfully, I have not had the opportunity to test that).

If I had one complaint, it's that the pouch it came in is just a bit too small. If the liner is the least bit damp, I don't even bother trying to get it back into the pouch. Maybe it's not an issue with newer models.

I've used a few times in humid environments where bathing regularly has not been possible. And then there was the time I jumped into it while covered in sunscreen (oops). But it has cleaned up just fine every time with no residual stains or smells.

Following this thread closely. Our Camino (CF) is planned for mid-September through October. We have silk liners but I’m wonder if that’s enough? We have been looking at jungle blankets but haven’t committed to those yet. In my research I came across these micro blankets that are used more as picnic blankets and ground cover. Does anyone have experience with them as an extra layer?

I’m thinking about buying a Peshtemal Turkish towel to serve as towel and blanket. See it here:Cacala Pestemal Turkish Bath Towels 37x70%100 CottonTM Ocean Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EM644DC/?tag=casaivar02-20

Or the Costco 700 fill Blue Ridge down throw...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The down throws are great. I use one inside a silk liner (inside because on the outside it slips off). The Turkish towel works as a towel but I would not rely on it to keep me warm. Apart from the fact that it might still be damp from the shower when you want to use it.

I've just made myself a silk sleeping bag liner - wide with pillow pocket - and taped the seams to make sure it wears well - I'm hoping to use it first time 13 April inside my sleeping bag - it cost less than 20 euros and weighs about 140gms. Modifying old silk shirts sounds interesting ....I will report back re performance.

I second this excellent advice!

We will be walking the Francés in September and I know that for myself, I will need more than just a liner. So I bought a mulberry silk sleeping bag liner from Amazon and a lightweight down throw from Costco (online order only). I cut the throw down almost in half and then sewed it to my liner on two sides. (This pretty much exhausted my sewing capabilities!!) They’re both slippery and without sewing them together, it wouldn’t have worked. If it’s cold, I sleep with the down throw on top of me. If it’s warm, I flip it and sleep on top of the down throw. Either way, I sleep in the liner, which I also opened up almost to the bottom on one side in order to throw my leg out if needed.
All of this together is 20.75 oz, which I think is pretty darn good. And with my compression sacks (picture shows carry pack, not compression pack), I can really scrunch them down. I also bought a travel size My Pillow.

Attachments

• 3F01F0A8-6701-4A2A-A3A4-1ACFF5DD37EE.jpeg
    3F01F0A8-6701-4A2A-A3A4-1ACFF5DD37EE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 2837F323-2DD9-4B1A-949C-D74391E6EAAE.jpeg
    2837F323-2DD9-4B1A-949C-D74391E6EAAE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
We will be walking the Francés in September and I know that for myself, I will need more than just a liner. So I bought a mulberry silk sleeping bag liner from Amazon and a lightweight down throw from Costco (online order only). I cut the throw down almost in half and then sewed it to my liner on two sides. (This pretty much exhausted my sewing capabilities!!) They’re both slippery and without sewing them together, it wouldn’t have worked. If it’s cold, I sleep with the down throw on top of me. If it’s warm, I flip it and sleep on top of the down throw. Either way, I sleep in the liner, which I also opened up almost to the bottom on one side in order to throw my leg out if needed.
All of this together is 20.75 oz, which I think is pretty darn good. And with my compression sacks (picture shows carry pack, not compression pack), I can really scrunch them down. I also bought a travel size My Pillow.

this is brilliant. I think I saw you mention this in another thread, but I appreciate the increased detail and pictures here. I’m thinking about doing the same thing!

My Lone Wolf silk liner arrived from Vietnam today, and it is excellent! Great width, well put together, and solidly stitched. Opening up a side seam a bit further down as well as attaching the down blanket would totally work!

and if i decide not to attach it, the liner is wide enough that the blanket fits inside!

I like it, extra on width and pocket for pillows is a nice feature. I'm not sure about the merits of silk being anti-bug but why take chances plus silk is lightweight, packs compact and is pleasant against skin. I found my jungle blanket that I add for top layer on Autumn Camino slips and ends up on the floor but with this I can use liner as a external cover. Nice, another over engineered solution to a problem that didn't exist 🤠
Found my down throw slipping off of my bed/bunk/body in the night as well...now I attach it to the edge of the liner with a small safety pin on each end...problem solved in less than 0.005 oz !

Found my down throw slipping off of my bed/bunk/body in the night as well...now I attach it to the edge of the liner with a small safety pin on each end...problem solved in less than 0.005 oz !
Indeed if your using a throw but my top layer is a jungle blanket by snugpak and one of its characteristics is that its water proof so can be used as a tarp, ground sheet or picnic blanket so wouldn't benefit from puncturing material with tiny holes and likely to invalidate the warranty but a good solution for fabric throw or as indicated velcro tabs at each corner provides similar solution but thanks for the 'pinterest' 🤠

Indeed if your using a throw but my top layer is a jungle blanket by snugpak and one of its characteristics is that its water proof so can be used as a tarp, ground sheet or picnic blanket so wouldn't benefit from puncturing material with tiny holes and likely to invalidate the warranty but a good solution for fabric throw or as indicated velcro tabs at each corner provides similar solution but thanks for the 'pinterest' 🤠
Long live the jungle blanket...🛌

Hola @ C. Sorry not to have responded sooner but my second Chemo treatment was not user friendly and then I was away a week. To answer your question, the first time I heard about silk being good for preventing lice/ bed bug infestation was in a World War 1 doco. I have now done further research and came across this information:

Mulberry silk contains sericin, a protein that repels bed bugs, dust mites, mold and mildew. In today's warming world, bed bugs and other insects are becoming more problematic. ... This video clearly shows that bed bugs prefer to live in down, not in Mulberry West silk.Feb 11, 2011

BED BUGS PREFER DOWN OVER MULBERRY SILK

I must say it was difficult tracking down anyone or thing that was prepared to be quoted.
Cheers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I used a silk liner in September/October and seldom needed any other covering to keep warm. Also my thrift shop silk shirt, which I had stuffed in my pack at the last moment, turned out to be my favorite article of clothing!

Mulberry silk contains sericin, a protein that repels bed bugs, dust mites, mold and mildew. In today's warming world, bed bugs and other insects are becoming more problematic. ... This video clearly shows that bed bugs prefer to live in down, not in Mulberry West silk.Feb 11, 2011
I must say it was difficult tracking down anyone or thing that was prepared to be quoted.
Cheers
Hi Mike,

That video was produced by a company that is selling its silk-filled comforters, so it is not objective research. It may well be that bedbugs prefer to live in that sample of silk fill rather than down fill. However, the physical properties of the particular fill might be the explanation and it might not apply at all to the use of woven silk fabric compared to other woven fabric. Our discussions don't usually relate to the use of silk fill. I haven't found any other research on the subject, or on the repellent properties of sericin. However, I am not a skilled researcher.

Some old wives' tales do have an element of truth behind them, that modern science has not been able to confirm. In the absence of any other information, and all else being equal, I might make a decision on the basis of a "traditional understanding." However, I try to be clear in my own mind and in my communications to others, what information is well-proven and what information is not. That's all I'm trying to address here.

I am very happy with my silk liner, for many reasons. :)

Hola @ C. Sorry not to have responded sooner but my second Chemo treatment was not user friendly and then I was away a week. To answer your question, the first time I heard about silk being good for preventing lice/ bed bug infestation was in a World War 1 doco. I have now done further research and came across this information:

Cheers
@Saint Mike II, I had a look for any reputable source that suggested that sericin is an insect repellent or is resistent to mold or mildew. Nothing. Reputable or otherwise.

As for the video, it might best be characterised as advertising. It has all the hallmarks of any other staged product demonstration where the 'test conditions' have been carefully orchestrated to 'prove' the manufacturer's product is superior. It is always interesting to see what rubbish passes for 'research' when it should have been preceded by a warning 'advertising con job follows'.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.