• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

size of credencial at SJPP?

Anitahk

Time of past OR future Camino
I´ll start the Camino from SJPP and get the credencial from the pilgrims´office there. What is the size of the credencial? I´m thinking of making a waterproof pocket for it. Any how many stamps can it hold?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's 10x15.5 (or about 4" x 6") and fits easily in a small zip lock bag. If you don't go crazy trying to fill it with sellos at every cafe, bar, tiendra, albergue, church and stop along the way, your first one should last from SJPdP to around Sahagun or Leon.

For the most part, I only obtained one stamp per day from SJPP to Sarria and then the obligatory two per day thereafter. One credencial was sufficient for this, with a few empty spaces at the end.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It is hard to stop collecting stamps though, as they are so beautiful and a great reminder of places visited!

thanks for the replies. I plan to keep a record of the places visited with the credencial. What do I do if I run out of spaces? Buy another credencial, or can I just stick some papers to it?

For the most part, I only obtained one stamp per day from SJPP to Sarria and then the obligatory two per day thereafter. One credencial was sufficient for this, with a few empty spaces at the end.
Okay, agreed but I think maybe I do not walk as fast as you;), plus the one I used last year which I got at Roncesvalles (Pilgrim Office was closed when I arrived in SJPdP at noon) only had 48 places for sellos and some sellos take up 2 spaces. My second one started from Fromista.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
thanks for the replies. I plan to keep a record of the places visited with the credencial. What do I do if I run out of spaces? Buy another credencial, or can I just stick some papers to it?
Many municipal albergues, churches and tourist offices can supply you with another one.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Interesting that this subject has come up. The credential that I got from the pilgrim office in SJPP (a folding credential) had more than enough space to get me to Santiago. On the other hand, my cousin / walking companion, whom I met in Roncesvalles, and who got her credential there, received one in booklet form. I can't confirm this, as I didn't see it, but I have little doubt that she ran out of space before we got to Santiago and must have had to get another one somewhere along the line. Personally, and if possible, I would prefer to have all my sellos on one credential.

BTW, my understanding, after the fact, is that two sellos per day is necessary only if one starts the Camino at the 100 k. point. In any event, I often forgot to get the two sellos per day after Sarria, and it made no difference to my receiving my compostela.

I will post the exact dimensions of the folding credential later when I have time to find it, unless someone else beats me to it before then.

My credentials have size A6, which is convenient as they fit perfectly into some protective plastic thingies (no idea what they are called), available at most stationers.
The first had 90 spaces, exactly enough for my 90 day walk from Zurich (no stamps on rest days, of course), the second only had 30 spaces; so I glued two of them together which gave me more than enough spaces for my cycling trip of just over 6 weeks. On both occasions I got just one stamp per day and had no problems getting the Compostela. But maybe things have changed since.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The typical pilgrim credencial (passport) is nominally the same size as a regular national passport. So, any protective plastic bag sized comfortably for your passport should also hold the credencial. However, SOME credencials can be taller, so allow enough space. And extra centimeter or so should do it.

Also, I have seen folks who were intent on collecting every sello they could as souvenirs, obtain an additional pasted in page at official pilgrim offices along the way. I believe they do this at Leon, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, this added in page was accordion-folded and the same size as the credencial. So, when installed correctly, it folds out, like a road map and provides spaces for dozens of additional stamps. I want to say the page was at least the same length as A3 paper held in landscape mode. But it was the same height as the credencial booklet.

In 2013, I walked with another fellow who was doing this as a project for his wife's fifth-grade class back home. He was maintaining a blog and getting every stamp that would submit to being appended to his collection along the way. He is the first person to show me the taped-in formal looking accordion-folded page.

If anyone has specific information about where to go to get the additional page(s) pasted into a credencial, please share it here.

Thanks, I hope this helps the dialog.

The Pilgrim's office in St. Jean gave me a zip top bag when I was there last year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Usually a 1 euro donation.
The one you get from the Pilgrim's Office will have spaces on the back and front, the one's that you can get along the way have maps on the back, so less spaces for sellos, you will find they are available in many but not all albergues and tourist offices.

I´ll start the Camino from SJPP and get the credencial from the pilgrims´office there. What is the size of the credencial? I´m thinking of making a waterproof pocket for it. Any how many stamps can it hold?

Ivar's "store" sells a great little plastic envelope, in which the pilgrims' office credential fits beautifully. http://www.santiagodecompostela.me/...oducts/plastic-sleve-for-the-pilgrim-passport

I've used them now for several years -- they're smaller than the zip lock bags and easier to deal with, IMO.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back