• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping and so

Tonm

Hi, I am finalizing my preparations for the Camino. I will start my road on 23 july in st JPDP. It will be my first Camino, and youtube and this forum I find a ton of information, but still it is difficult to envision how it will be on the road.
Some questions I have:
How is everybody sleeping, what sleeping gear to pack.
On trekking-sites I read about special merino wool underwear. However it s very expensive, what is advisable.
Do you recommend a spanisch langage book, or would I somehow survive without.
Questions... Questions...
Already thanks for replying.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sleep wear? You mean pajamas?? Extra un-needed weight-a t-shirt and boxers/shorts are more then adequate. Merino underwear-base layers-sweaters are fantastic my choice in winter wear-in July you won't need any one of them. Some Spanish can only help even if nothing but elevator Spanish-don't need much, you will meet pilgrims from 70 different countries all with a different language, English has become the lingua franca on the Camino and for most of your needs you will get you buy. If you are really in need of a translation the best person to ask is always the pharmacist! They are found in the most unlikely of places large and small. usually have a good command of English, and will be happy to help even in non-medical matters.

Do not use merino wool underware. I shower and change my clothes every day and sleep in the t shirt and underpants that I will wear the following day. I have walked nearly 5000km in just over 2 years and it has worked for me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Tonm
Definitely bring ear plugs to help lessen the sleep disruption caused by peregrinos snoring, they don't need to block it out totally, just reduce it to a background noise, I brought a light fleece sheet bag for sleeping in, if the nights were cold, I just wore my next days hiking socks and top and this was more than adequate.
The biggest disruption I found was not snorers but the manic 5 am packing brigade who couldn't be ar*ed to pack the night before and leave their next days clothes handy and take their gear out of the dorms before final packing of sleeping bags etc.
I found it helped when in smaller dorms or partly full larger ones to try to get broad agreement about the lights on time in the morning.

Buen Camino

Seamus

Seamus
I can handle the frantic searching under the beds the rustle the racket the plastic bags being stuffed back in backpacks but what drives me crazy are the headlamps! Every small movement of the offenders head and a spotlight stretches out across the room flashing and blinding even should your eyes somehow be closed.

Tonm said:
Some questions I have:
1. How is everybody sleeping, what sleeping gear to pack.
2. On trekking-sites I read about special merino wool underwear. However it s very expensive, what is advisable.
3. Do you recommend a spanisch langage book, or would I somehow survive without.

1. Take a lightweight sleeping bag - unless you are absolutely sure you will always sleep in pensiones / hostales / hotels. Sleeping wear - next days clothes.
2. "Normal", wicking underwear is enough at that time of the year, no need for merino in my opinion.
3. As others have mentioned, English has become the lingua franca on the Camino, but make the effort to learn a few Spanish phrases as a sign of politeness to the locals ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took a sleeping mask, airplane type, on my second camino to avoid any head lamps, lights. Great for afternoon napping too. Slept in merino wool long johns and crew top. So functional as day wear, night wear, base layer etc. Merino wool.stays fresher than other fabrics.

Merino wool is expensive gear. The plus side is it doesn't hold odours so you can wear it for a long time before it needs washing and its comfortable. Downside is it is heavier than a cotton t-shirt and it takes longer to dry.

If you don't have need for it off the camino then it would be an expensive item for only 30-40 days of use. You don't need high tech gear to sleep indoors so the only reason for obtaining it would be if you really wanted it.

A spanish language book ... imagine if someone came up to you and tried to converse by leafing through it and speaking one ... word ... at ... a ... time. I would suggest taking a Spanish language course to level A1. Every Spanish city has a spanish language school for foreigners and its worth spending a couple weeks. That being said ... lots of people survive the camino with limited or no spanish. Your purpose is to walk the camino and you don't need to speak to do that. You may find yourself dependent on others to translate for purchases of food and meals.

Dear whariwharangi
Dependent on others??? Interaction not dependency exactly what the Camino is all about. Some of my best introductions and conversations occurred while trying to explain to others what albóndigas might be, why vegetable soup is not for vegetarians, and how (why is another explanation) does one go about eating manitas.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hullo,

A lightweight and compact sleeping bag with an inner silk sheet worked well for me. You won't have many cold nights at this time of year. How about ditching pyjamas and wearing a sarong instead - it can then double-up as a towel, shawl/scarf, headscarf and sheet to spread on the ground for a picnic. Earplugs! Don't forget earplugs. The more you walk the more you realise how little you need to be happy. The less you have to carry the more sprightly your step will be and your body will thank you for it too. For me the simplicity of carrying/needing so little was one of the most liberating aspects of the Camino.

Buen camino

Helen

Merino wool is expensive as noted above, and not necessary really. Any moisture wicking, quick dry athletic fabric will keep you comfortable and also dries easily

But it does not get smelly. A huge plus.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tonm said:
Some questions I have:
How is everybody sleeping, what sleeping gear to pack.
On trekking-sites I read about special merino wool underwear. However it s very expensive, what is advisable.
Do you recommend a spanisch langage book, or would I somehow survive without.

Ear plugs, defintely. On a few occations I would have had good use for nose plugs as well, if you get what I mean...

Wool underwear in Spain in July? No thanks.

Small, lightweight Spanish parlor (?) (Berlitz) also with phrases. It has made me good fun sometimes, especially with the women: Vamos a otro sitio mas tranquilo? (Shall we find a more secluded place?) etc. Icebreakers that bring out laughter :wink: And it helps you learn a bit more of the language. Very useful, indeed.

Also, you can use such a parlor to show to your Spanish opponent, and he/she will find what they're looking for.

Blinds is also a good idea.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.