• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish words for sleeping mask and heating coil?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2022
Anybody know the Spanish for heating coil and sleep mask?

I’m in Burgos walking the Camino Frances. And alas, I burnt out my heating coil. Also I foolishly decided not to bring my sleep mask. Those Albergue emergency exit lights are bright at night!

I have a rest day in Burgos tomorrow and hope to buy these two items.

My Google Translate app suggests a heating coil is: Bobina de calentamiento.

And sleep mask: Máscara para dormir.

But often these kind of direct translations make no sense to a native speaker….?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For the sleep mask: antifaz para dormir
For the heating coil: resistencia eléctrica para calentar agua

Máscara para dormir should be understood. If you told me bobina de calentamiento I would have no idea what you're talking about 😅

For the sleep mask: antifaz para dormir
For the heating coil: resistencia eléctrica para calentar agua

Máscara para dormir should be understood. If you told me bobina de calentamiento I would have no idea what you're talking about 😅
Thank you!

And of course the question I should also ask is what kind of stores would carry these things?

Maybe a kitchen supply store for the heating coil? And maybe a pharmacy for the sleep mask?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you!

And of course the question I should also ask is what kind of stores would carry these things?

Maybe a kitchen supply store for the heating coil? And maybe a pharmacy for the sleep mask?
I would check electrical supply or DIY stores for the heating coil if you can't find it in a kitchen supply store.

For the sleeping mask, look for a "flying tiger", "ale hop" or "Claire's" store. I'm sure they'll have them in Burgos. You may also find it in "perfumerías" and sometimes even in clothes stores like H&M.

Thank you!

I'm in Burgos and can confirm there is a large AleHop store, walked past it today. 🙂 I saw a Claire's too.

I'd also like to know which kind of store to find an electric coil, as mine was left at home by mistake, and I do miss it. @Stephan the Painter maybe I will run into you while scouring the shops of Burgos for this item. 😀

PS. Thanks @MariaSP for answering the question about types of stores.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The heating coils are being sold on the Spanish Amazon site as “ Hervidor de inmersión de viaje. “

“Hervidor de agua electrico” seems to be the name for a countertop plug-in kettle. I tried one store but none of the kitchen supply stores or hardware stores are open until tomorrow.

The heating coils are being sold on the Spanish Amazon site as “ Hervidor de inmersión de viaje. “

“Hervidor de agua electrico” seems to be the name for a countertop plug-in kettle. I tried one store but none of the kitchen supply stores or hardware stores are open until tomorrow.
‘Travel immersion heater’ seems closer to the target than ‘electrical water heater’.

I suspect you’ll be lucky to find one - but hope you do.

Many years ago those small heating coils were easy to find but nowadays not so. After fruitless searches in many countries in hardware, appliance and similar shops the best or maybe only resource is ordering online. The ones available in those Chinese shops tend to be of the large bucket variety and bulky & heavy to travel with.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Try Decathlon - The outdoor equivalent store.
I love Decathlon for a lot of things, but they don't have electric coils for heating water. They do have a sleep mask though:

And here's a coil on Amazon.es
Calentador de inmersión para viaje
https://www.amazon.es/Rommelsbacher...rica+para+calentar+agua&qid=1713553310&sr=8-3

Last edited:
I did find a heating coil in Burgos. I found the store listed under “kitchen supply” in google maps. They sold a wide range of small kitchen items as well as stove parts and camping stoves. Repairs also. Near the center: No name on the storefront but google called it:
“Service”
C. Antonio Machado, 2, 09005 Burgos

The heating coil was about twice the size of the mini one I had ordered in the states. I bought it, and it was €13.

It said “ calentador de vaso” on the package.

I tried several hardware stores or “Ferreterias,” but I don’t think it’s a common item.

The best thing you can do is bring one along and don’t burn it out like I did, or try to order one from Amazon and have it shipped to one of these Amazon lockers as was suggested above. Although I was never able to sign into the Spanish Amazon website when I tried in the past.

The sleep masks (espanol: antifaz para dormir) were easy to find. I bought one at the “flying tiger Copenhagen” store near the center.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.