• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag advice

sundaynightsky

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)... maybe?
Hello,

I'm planning on walking a Camino within the next couple of months and need to buy a sleeping bag. I started browsing confidently, but now I'm confused - it's a lot more complex than I thought!

I would be grateful for any advice on:
  • Temperatures - I think I need 'Season 3', but what kind of 'comfort' and 'extreme' temps would this be? They seem to vary from store to store.
  • How do I know what a 'lightweight' sleeping bag really is? I'm browsing and lots of sleeping bags say this, but when I look at the weights, they really vary too.
  • What is a good size for carrying? EDIT: I mean, what volume/dimensions of sleeping bag are good for carrying?
This has been recommended to me - although not a Season 3 sleeping bag, it has an extreme temp of -2. But the description says it is 'suitable for use in tropical climates' - I would hardly call Spain in February a tropical climate!

I am also on a super low budget, so will need to take that into consideration.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Spring Camino I would suggest:

3 season sleeping bag definitely and I would aim for a comfort temperature of 10-12C at least.
600-800g would be light weight, anything lower ultra weight. There are some really nice down sleeping bags around that are very light and will keep you warm, but they do come at a steepish price.
Not sure if I understand your last question, do you refer to the volume of your sleeping bag or the volume of your back pack?

Buen Camino, SY

Hello,

I'm planning on walking a Camino within the next couple of months and need to buy a sleeping bag. I started browsing confidently, but now I'm confused - it's a lot more complex than I thought!

• Temperatures - I think I need 'Season 3', but what kind of 'comfort' and 'extreme' temps would this be? They seem to vary from store to store.
  • How do I know what a 'lightweight' sleeping bag really is? I'm browsing and lots of sleeping bags say this, but when I look at the weights, they really vary too.
  • What is a good size for carrying?
This has been recommended to me - although not a Season 3 sleeping bag, it has an extreme temp of -2. But the description says it is 'suitable for use in tropical climates' - I would hardly call Spain in February a tropical climate!

Thanks!!

You'll be sleeping indoors. Temperatures in albergues will at minimum be above freezing. One place had the heat cranked up to 35C ... an uncomfortably hot night ... So a three season bag is probably overkill.

A summer weight bag - rated 5C and up - should be enough.

There is a lot of variability in ratings of sleeping bags. That's because there is so much variability in people's ability to keep warm.

My favorite was the US Marine standard that stated fingers had to maintain 60F when an average sized marine slept in a cold room at -30F.

Get a down bag because its comfortable over a wider range of temperature. Get a barrel bag if you don't like the confined feeling of a severe mummy bag. Get one that has a zipper so the whole bag opens up for use like a blanket. Buy cheap unless you have a use for the bag when you come home. Rating 5 to 10 C should be warm enough.

You can test it at home by sleeping in a room with heat off or air conditioner on so room temp is about 10C.

The ultralite 100 looks like a reasonable choice.

Remember that lots of Albergues (not all) will provide blankets for colder nights.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, thanks for your advice so far!

Spring Camino I would suggest:
Not sure if I understand your last question, do you refer to the volume of your sleeping bag or the volume of your back pack?

Sorry, I mean volume of sleeping bag!

Yes, it's true, I'm asking for the smallest, lightest, warmest, highest-quality AND cheapest sleeping bag on the market ;) Might as well ask, eh?

Lol in German, my native tongue, we call it the 'eierlegende Wollmilchsau' - roughly translated as a 'pig that produces meat, wool and eggs at the same time'. If weight and volume are your main concerns have a look at down sleeping bags and/or quilts, if price is the most important factor look at sleeping bags with a synthetic filling.

Personally I am happy with this sleeping bag that I have now used on several caminos: http://www.lafuma.com/en/sac-de-couchage-randonnee-active-10-vert.html but I don't freeze easily - so your mileage might vary ...

Buen Camino, SY

I walked the CF mainly in Apr, somewhat later than you are proposing to walk. I carried a +5 deg C rectangular down filled bag and silk liner. I have used the same bag with a warmer liner as well. My own view is that the bag you have linked to will be inadequate for walking in winter, particularly if you have to rely on albergues which are not well heated. Even in spring, there were unheated dormitories that were bitterly cold at night, and where having a good sleeping bag made it possible to get a reasonable nights rest.

Also, for good equipment, you pay for what you get either in money or weight. Expect to pay if you want a good bag, even more if it is down filled. Expect a rectangular bag to be heavier for the same temperature performance than a mummy bag, and perhaps a bit more expensive.

My take would be to look for something around 0 deg C to 5 deg C comfort rating (in Australia, that would class as a two-season bag) and if you are worried that it might not be warm enough, get a one of the temperature extender liners that are now readily available on the market.

ps I am with @SYates on getting pigs to fly anytime soon.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down is not cheap. I want a synthetic bag because I am a bedbug magnet and I want something that I can throw in a hot dryer without too much concern. If I eventually ruin the synthetic (as could happen with both synthetic and down) at least it won't cost so much to replace.

I've looked into this quite a bit and, for a synthetic bag, in general I think you'll find that you get to pick between:
  • Rectangular, 7C-10C, 950 grams
  • Mummy, 7-10C, 650 grams
I have seen "tropical" bags that weigh a bit less.

I go with this bag : rectangular, 7C, 950 g.

I have walked 4 times in March, October, November. I have been a bit chilly on a few nights (maybe 3 or 4 nights in 100) with this rating, and have had to layer up with clothes. I will take the same bag again in March because I think it is the best trade-off of size, weight and warmth, for a synthetic bag.

This is top of the line. And too expensive for a Camino in my view: http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

I have used a three seasons. Add a liner to it to add warmth.

Under a kilo is what you want.

Try to find a super sale and get a better bag at a lower cost.

Regarding temps, CClearly is correct, a few degrees above freezing will do it for an albergue. Don't count on albergues to have blankets, at least not for everyone.

You said you plan to walk in the next few months, bit from month to month things change a lot, let alone over 2 months. Which ones are ypu thinking of?

I bought a Sea to Summit Traveller TR I sleeping bag and will use it for the first time starting April 23. It weighs 13.7 oz. and unzips so it can be used as a quilt. The bottom cinches up with a draw cord and it comes with a storage bag and small sack for compressing. I would like a sleeping bag liner too, but don't want more weight, so probably will skip it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You are on a tight budget. That bag you included a link to on your original post will work fine I am sure and the price is right. Go with it. I see no point in recommending more expensive a bag than that since you said you were on a tight budget.
Choosing a sleeping bag for the Camino is not complex. It can just become complex on this forum, and expensive if you follow some of the advice.
You will be sleeping indoors in the albergues. Many/most of the albergues will have blankets as well which you can layer on top of you get cold. Also I'm sure you will be probably carrying a base layer (fancy term for long underwear) of clothing of some sort. You can wear those to bed too keep you warm as well.

Down is not cheap. I want a synthetic bag because I am a bedbug magnet and I want something that I can throw in a hot dryer without too much concern. If I eventually ruin the synthetic (as could happen with both synthetic and down) at least it won't cost so much to replace.

I've looked into this quite a bit and, for a synthetic bag, in general I think you'll find that you get to pick between:
  • Rectangular, 7C-10C, 950 grams
  • Mummy, 7-10C, 650 grams
I have seen "tropical" bags that weigh a bit less.

I go with this bag : rectangular, 7C, 950 g.

I have walked 4 times in March, October, November. I have been a bit chilly on a few nights (maybe 3 or 4 nights in 100) with this rating, and have had to layer up with clothes. I will take the same bag again in March because I think it is the best trade-off of size, weight and warmth, for a synthetic bag.
Hi - I notice that you have walked the Camino in Oct and Nov. I will be walking the majority of the Camino in Oct into November and I am still trying to decide on a sleeping bag to take. I know its a question of just how cool the nights are and how warm the arburgues are/not. Some say no need to take a bag at this time. I am not so sure when I check the climate graphs which give minimums over the Frances route ranging from 7 - 12 C. Others also say get a bag that weighs 500g or less. Your comments - esp. on just how cool it may be - would be appreciated.

I have two questions for you before I make a recommendation. How tall are you? What month are you going to start your Camino?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some say no need to take a bag at this time.
I think most people say you should take a bag in November!
Others also say get a bag that weighs 500g or less.
Of course, that would be nice. But as discussed, such bags are only available in down. You need to compromise weight, durability, cost and warmth.
minimums over the Frances route ranging from 7 - 12 C
Those numbers don't seem quite right. I certainly encountered colder - close to freezing.

No bag will be perfect for all the conditions you will probably encounter.

I think most people say you should take a bag in November!

Of course, that would be nice. But as discussed, such bags are only available in down. You need to compromise weight, durability, cost and warmth.

Those numbers don't seem quite right. I certainly encountered colder - close to freezing.

No bag will be perfect for all the conditions you will probably encounter.
OK - you have answered my nagging questions to myself and I feel more confident now that a bag is definitely the way to go. Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Freetobe, The original poster sundaynightsky was working on a very tight budget. If you are as well, then I would suggest a North Face Dolomite 40 Regular. Being able to fully unzip it, will also give you options in case of temperature variations inside different albergues.

Freetobe, The original poster sundaynightsky was working on a very tight budget. If you are as well, then I would suggest a North Face Dolomite 40 Regular. Being able to fully unzip it, will also give you options in case of temperature variations inside different albergues.
Thanks for the info. Appreciated. I am on a budget in that I have already bought a new pack as my usual pack I use for bushwalking/tramping is too heavy and my other sleeping bag is too bulky. I feel I am duplicating gear I already have for this Camino but I do realise that I have to travel light light light. Lets face it - I don't want to be weighed down unnecessarily.

Thanks for the info. Appreciated. I am on a budget in that I have already bought a new pack as my usual pack I use for bushwalking/tramping is too heavy and my other sleeping bag is too bulky. I feel I am duplicating gear I already have for this Camino but I do realise that I have to travel light light light. Lets face it - I don't want to be weighed down unnecessarily.
Since you stated you already bushwack, you already know that a lightweight bag is going to be at least double the price at the temperature rating you will need. It appears you need to make a decision which is more important: weight or cost. While one may receive excellent lightweight recommendations that cost $200 to $350 US, if you are truly on a tight budget are they a viable option?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
5'4" (163 cms) and I depart SJPDP 30 September and finish sometime early November
Check out this internet weather site: https://www.wunderground.com/
You can look up past years weather in some of the places along the Camino during the time period you will be walking it. Will help give you an idea of what to expect.
I would say a sleeping bag would come in handy, but make sure it's the smallest (packing size), lightest one you can afford. Remember, it's not camping. You will be sleeping indoors in albergues. The outside temperature is not the same as the inside temperature of an albergue sleeping quarters, especially with other pilgrims inside and windows closed. Also as said on here, blankets are often available as well.
I've spent numerous nights on the Camino between the months of mid-June through mid-September. I never carried a sleeping bag. Only a liner. So to me if I were ever to carry a sleeping bag it would have to be a really lightweight, packable one, and no way would I spend over around $50 US for it. Not because I'm a cheap charlie, but because I just don't see a point in spending a bunch of money on something I might just throw onto a donativo table in an albergue, :D . Besides, the Camino isn't a technical hike. No need for expensive gear.

Hello,

• What is a good size for carrying? EDIT: I mean, what volume/dimensions of sleeping bag are good for carrying?

Thanks!!

Hello :)

I'm on a budget too, so much so that I was intending to use my sister's 20 year old bright Fuschia Pink and Lilac mummy bag but after seeing how small the one is in your link I'm now experiencing sleeping bag envy, her's is much bigger when compressed so maybe I should get my own (the last bag I owned was an army surplus outdoor combo bivvy/mummy bag, quite heavy and completely unsuitable for the Camino).

The main reason I was going to use hers is that it is a cotton lined and down filled bag, things have moved on but it was quite a good one at the time and I've found over the years that down filled bags (and duvets for that matter) are much more breathable. For some reason, even the expensive synthetic filled bags quickly leave me and the bag feeling very clammy and uncomfortable even in cold weather. I have known other people who feel the same about synthetic bags too so maybe that is something to bear in mind, if you have slept under synthetic duvets before and felt clammy or uncomfortable there is a good chance you might have the same problem with a synthetic/hollowfibre etc filled bag. I've borrowed my sister's sleeping bag before and it is LOVELY...

I just had a look on Amazon and eBay (cue some tutting, a few eyes rolling, heads shaking) using 'down filled mummy sleeping bag' to search, quite a few things on there, obviously mostly from China but by buying from there you're just cutting out the middleman because pretty much everything is made in China anyway. You wouldn't need anything more than a 800g filled/rated down bag, 1000g/1200g are also available but they're for outdoors use really and they'd likely be too warm.

On eBay they start at £47.71GBP delivered to the UK (I'm in the UK, I don't know where you are obviously) and the one at the top of the list caught my eye because it had 'fleabag' in its listing title- I'd buy it just for that :) The lining looks as though it is the same as the outer material and so getting a separate liner would be a good idea too (start at £4 for Silk ones, I got an anti-bacterial silk liner for £4.49 delivered). According to the listing, it weighs 1300g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Lig...ag-Camping-Hiking-Travel-Fleabag/391313689410

The ones on Amazon start at even lower prices, but from the temp rating it might be a 1000g bag (the 800g 'fleabag' is 10c/-5C), it is £39.99GBP (supposedly half price) and also has free delivery, from a UK seller as far as I can see and to be fair, Amazon is possibly a safer bet if only because you're not buying a 'fleabag'... :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D9JLNHW/

If you do get a down bag, plenty of people advise not using the compression sack and just filling the bottom part of your rucksack with it, apparently fills the space more efficiently and better for the bag but plenty of people also say 'ooh noo' when that's mentioned. As far as washing them goes, before returning it to her I've washed my sister's down bag plenty of times at 90degC and tumble dried it on hot and it's been fine, like a new'un :) (they say 'ooh noo' about that too).

Hope this is of some use to you....

BC! :)

UPDATE: My sister wanted to get me a good luck gift and so I've decided to 'put my money where my mouth is' and order a 'fleabag' from China (800g down filled, total weight of bag 1300g), if it turns up in time I'll be taking it with me and I'll soon see whether it's any good. Hopefully it will arrive early enough for me to be able to spray it with Permethrin etc but not the end of the world if I can't.

Last edited:
I just had a look on Amazon and eBay (cue some tutting, a few eyes rolling, heads shaking) using 'down filled mummy sleeping bag' to search, quite a few things on there, obviously mostly from China but by buying from there you're just cutting out the middleman because pretty much everything is made in China anyway.
Lot's of great deals on lightweight sleeping bags on Amazon, gear snobs be damned. I highly recommend budget minded pilgrims search there for good deals. You could easily completely kit yourself up for the Camino for less than some people spend on just their sleeping bag.
I wouldn't buy a sleeping bag that I couldn't just throw into a washing machine and dryer. Why own something you have to treat delicately? After every time I've used my backpack, I take it into the backyard, wet it down with the garden hose, scrub it down with a brush and dish soap, rinse it off, hang it in the sun until it's dry and then soak it down with some scotchgard for waterproofing. Good as new.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lot's of great deals on lightweight sleeping bags on Amazon, gear snobs be damned. I highly recommend budget minded pilgrims search there for good deals. You could easily completely kit yourself up for the Camino for less than some people spend on just their sleeping bag.
I wouldn't buy a sleeping bag that I couldn't just throw into a washing machine and dryer. Why own something you have to treat delicately? After every time I've used my backpack, I take it into the backyard, wet it down with the garden hose, scrub it down with a brush and dish soap, rinse it off, hang it in the sun until it's dry and then soak it down with some scotchgard for waterproofing. Good as new.

Damn straight Mark, my jambalaya sniffing friend- that is pretty much what I have done but I've gone even cheaper than Amazon where possible... :)

...money belt 99p from China (eBay), Teva sandals £16 (Amazon), flip-flops for the showers etc (£1 from Asda), got my boots off Amazon (£60 less than the usual outdoor 'experts'), already got a jacket so didn't need to get one....phew, but got some Gore-Tex Paclite over trousers less than half price on Amazon, I'll be wearing my old faithful woolly jumpers instead of high-tech down jacket/soft shell mid-layers, my base layers are actually just my usual pants from Sainsbury's at 3 for £6 (is that an overshare?), I've got the cheapo trekking gloves I want saved in my watch list on eBay and the cheapo better-than-others-at-twice-the-price trekking poles I want saved on a list in my Amazon account, can't afford them yet and as for fancy-ass trekking socks I reckon I'll be just turning my normal ones inside out so the seams don't rub and wearing two pairs at the same time if it gets cold... :)

....I'd probably buy that 'fleabag' too if it wasn't for the fact that if I did, I wouldn't be able to pay my phone bill next week- that's how tight my budget is... so as it stands, every night I'll be going to sleep looking like a 6'2" Wham bar... (it's a type of British candy, popular in the 80's)

Last edited:
Wham bar... (it's a type of British candy, popular in the 80's)

That Jambalaya some good stuff, huh? Kinda like paella, creole style.
Never had a Wham bar, but back in 90-91 when I was in the middle east, there were some British troops operating near us, and I managed to score some "Lion" candy bars. Oh yeah....almost beat out Baby Ruth as a favorite chocolate bar.

Hello, thanks for all your advice.

@superleggera I'm also from the UK so everything you suggested is very relevant to me. And thanks for the tips on your other bargains, I'll head to Asda to pick up some 99p flip-flops tomorrow!

I will also always buy from Amazon, the snobs can think what they like :)

Gonna read through all the suggestions now and try to work out what to do re: the sleeping bag dilemma.

OH and @skipronin, if your questions were to me, then I'm thinking of going towards the end of Feb/beginning of March. And I'm 5 ft 6. And I tend to feel the cold (I'm right now wrapped in a thick jumper, big duvet and extra blanket. It's about 5C outside).

Thanks again!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've said it before but much depends on whether you sleep 'hot' or 'cold' and only you know that. Remember that whatever you choose you're the only who's going to carry it and you can easily rack up 1Kg to carry. Down is best but also more expensive. You can always take a silk liner to add insulation when it's cold or just sleep in that if it's hot - it's what I do.
Ultreïa

That Jambalaya some good stuff, huh? Kinda like paella, creole style.
Never had a Wham bar, but back in 90-91 when I was in the middle east, there were some British troops operating near us, and I managed to score some "Lion" candy bars. Oh yeah....almost beat out Baby Ruth as a favorite chocolate bar.

Mark, I'm not a big fan of milk chocolate, I'm an 85% dark man but I have to admit the Lion bar is a decent bit'o chocolate however the undisputed KING of chocolate bars in this country is the STAR BAR, don't ever let anyone tell you any different and if any goons appear on this thread disputing that just ignore them....you PM me your address and I'll send one over :)

Wham bars are big pink sugary chewy candy bars btw and yes, Jambalaya sure is some good stuff, I can make a pretty mean one too. My old housemate is currently obsessed with it and trying to create the 'perfect' Jambalaya. I'm very jealous of you living in New Orleans scoffing all that Creole Soul Food, a visit there is definitely one for my bucket list.

Last edited:

@superleggera I'm also from the UK so everything you suggested is very relevant to me. And thanks for the tips on your other bargains, I'll head to Asda to pick up some 99p flip-flops tomorrow!

Gonna read through all the suggestions now and try to work out what to do re: the sleeping bag dilemma.

OH and @skipronin, if your questions were to me, then I'm thinking of going towards the end of Feb/beginning of March. And I'm 5 ft 6. And I tend to feel the cold (I'm right now wrapped in a thick jumper, big duvet and extra blanket. It's about 5C outside).

Thanks again!

Speaking as a big duvet man, if you're a big duvet gal then you might be happier with a down bag, they just feel cosy- the kind of cosy only big duvet people understand, those hollowfill/synthetic bags just don't feel right and getting a good night's sleep is what will help you get through the next day, but at the lower range of budgets you'll possibly have to carry an extra few hundred grams over a synthetic one at the same price...oh no.

I got the flip-flops from the sh*t bin/clearance section in an Asda in Dundee when I was driving back from a job recently, I don't know if you'll find them in your local one :( Good news though, I did actually splurge and get a few pairs because they're so useful, right? You can have one of the pairs I got, at 5'6" your feet are probably size 11/12 like mine, yes?

Another tip, instead of worrying about finding a charging point for your phone and even worse, worrying about if it'll get nicked while on charge get a 'solar power bank' (search on eBay or Amazon), start at around £7 on eBay and go up to £15 or £20 on Amazon. A few naysayers claim they don't work, either they have older type ones or they bought the £7 ones off eBay. After a bit of research I got one particular one off Amazon for £20 (I almost got a £13 from Hong Kong off eBay) . You hang it off your rucksack, it charges throughout the day, if it's sunny it'll charge in a day, if it's raining (I got a waterproof one) it'll take up to 4 days but when full you'll be able to fully charge a decent smartphone 3 times with it. They also double up as a torch/lantern and weigh around the same as a large smartphone, I don't mind the extra weight but you might :) I can send details of the models I looked at if you're interested in one.

I'm going at the start of March, I don't have too much choice about my timing but I reckon it's the best balance of weather, crowds and cost anyway. For example, in the week I fly back just before Easter you can see the cost of flights tripling on sites like easyJet all in the space of a few days as Easter approaches.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Thanks again!
sundaynightsky, I think that a 4 to 10 Celsius synthetic bag in a 2 lb weight range will be a good choice for you. A synthetic bag with a lower temperature rating usually increases the weight and bulk the lower the rating goes. The North Face Dolomite 40 would have been a good choice, but it does not appear to be available on amazon.co.uk, which appears to be a favorite site of yours. I would suggest that you look for a bag with similar specifications. Before you make your final choice, I suggest that you visit one or more outdoors stores and become better educated concerning the different options.

Considering that you are on a very tight budget, another option occurred to me. Does anyone in your family sew? Specifically, does anyone make quilts or comforters? If so, you could have a custom bag made that would have special meaning.

Thanks again!

Hello again :)

Just one more thing about the bags which sixwheeler has alluded to, if it's 5C outside and you're inside having to wear a thick jumper and use an extra blanket in addition to your big duvet then it sounds like you really feel the cold or as they say in this part of the world, you are 'nesh' :)

From what other experienced pilgrims are saying, some of the albergues might be 5C INSIDE, in which case maybe a 1000g rated bag would be more appropriate for you. That £40 one off Amazon appears to be suitable and if you decided it was a load of rubbish when it arrived, you can easily return it.

Last edited:
sundaynightsky, I think that a 4 to 10 Celsius synthetic bag in a 2 lb weight range will be a good choice for you. A synthetic bag with a lower temperature rating usually increases the weight and bulk the lower the rating goes. The North Face Dolomite 40 would have been a good choice, but it does not appear to be available on amazon.co.uk, which appears to be a favorite site of yours. I would suggest that you look for a bag with similar specifications. Before you make your final choice, I suggest that you visit one or more outdoors stores and become better educated concerning the different options.

Considering that you are on a very tight budget, another option occurred to me. Does anyone in your family sew? Specifically, does anyone make quilts or comforters? If so, you could have a custom bag made that would have special meaning.
sundaynightsky,
I have made an error in my answer to you. On reflection, please disregard the temperature range, especially the higher temperatures, that I stated for bags for you to look at.

While a synthetic bag with the characteristics of the Dolomite which is a 4.5 degree Celsius bag may work for you, on reflection it may not be enough by itself depending on what you wear to when you go to sleep, as you have stated that you feel the cold so strongly.

If possible, please ensure that whatever sleeping bag you choose is European Norm (EN) 13537 protocol tested as far as temperature rating. The testing is done by independent labs. EN has four ratings:
1)upper limit that standard man will start sweating at
2)comfort rating that standard woman will sleep comfortable down to
3)lower limit that standard man will sleep confortable down to
4)extreme rating where standard woman will survive down to

Select a sleeping bag with a comfort rating a bit lower than the lowest temperature you expect to encounter.

Select a sleeping bag with a comfort rating a bit lower than the lowest temperature you expect to encounter.
I suspect it is @sundaynightsky's first camino, and in February it will be difficult to know what temperatures to expect inside an albergue, and I don't know that many of us know either, despite the wonderfully detailed advice that seems to be on offer. Minimum outside temperatures might not normally go below 0 deg C, but they can be - lowest February minimum in Pamplona was under -10 deg C. Albergues might be heated, but even in Apr, I have slept in dormitories that haven't been.

Add to this the choices of shape and fill - rectangular, tapered and mummy, down and synthetic, and the differences these will make to the weight of the bag. A winter pack is going to be somewhat heavier than a spring or summer pack in the first place, and really lightening up on other things might be a priority. It makes me wonder why one of the heaviest bags I have seen in its class has been recommended - other, of course, than it is cheap.

As a final point, no-one wants to spend too much on their gear, but if one is going to walk at the end of winter, then taking cheap and nasty gear is just going to increase the risks one faces along the way. It is more likely that someone will be moderately uncomfortable anyway, I don't know why one would want increase any discomfort.

My view is that a 'safe' option would be a 0 deg C comfort rating, but up to +5 deg C might be okay. If weight is an issue, a down mummy shape will be lightest, but expensive. However, you need to make sure you can sleep in a mummy bag. Some people, and I am one of them, find it difficult to sleep with their legs so constrained. You might need to visit a good outdoor equipment supplier to try the different bags out, and you are likely to find several makers will have something that suits. Then shop around, including the online traders, to get the best price.

In my opinion a sleeping bag is a "just in case" item. In case I have to sleep outside. In case the alburgue has no blankets. I brought a sleeping bag. I used it once because I had to sleep outside. I also used it in alburgues - they all had blankets. Tending to the bag was a major pain. I'd be tempted not to take one next time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can look up past years weather in some of the places along the Camino during the time period you will be walking it. Will help give you an idea of what to expect.
I would say a sleeping bag would come in handy, but make sure it's the smallest (packing size), lightest one you can afford. Remember, it's not camping. You will be sleeping indoors in albergues. The outside temperature is not the same as the inside temperature of an albergue sleeping quarters, especially with other pilgrims inside and windows closed. Also as said on here, blankets are often available as well.
I've spent numerous nights on the Camino between the months of mid-June through mid-September. I never carried a sleeping bag. Only a liner. So to me if I were ever to carry a sleeping bag it would have to be a really lightweight, packable one, and no way would I spend over around $50 US for it. Not because I'm a cheap charlie, but because I just don't see a point in spending a bunch of money on something I might just throw onto a donativo table in an albergue, :D . Besides, the Camino isn't a technical hike. No need for expensive gear.
Thanks Mark - I get your drift. :) :) :)

I am taking a 200g fill weight down bag. Weighs only 500g and packs to the size of a small melon.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We'll be hiking the Arles Route Pilgrimage in April & early May. We've done the Le Puy and Camino Frances in the past. Would appreciate advice from anyone who knows this route as to whether we will need sleeping bags or whether a silk sleep sack will be sufficient. We're always trying to share weight whenever possible. Also, I'd rather treat my sleep sack with Permethrin than my good down bag.

I'm going mid May and been debating whether to bring a bag, I think I will just go with a liner because I don't want the weight. Thanks!

I'm going mid May and been debating whether to bring a bag, I think I will just go with a liner because I don't want the weight. Thanks!
Everyone is different and some people sleep colder than others. For me in May, a liner would be enough, not to mention I would have a fleece pullover which I can wear at night if I get cold and also as mentioned supplement the bag liner with a blanket when I can or is needed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello folks, it's been nearly a year since I wrote my original post but I wanted to come back to it because, having been on the walk, I can now maybe advise other people!

I went on a short, lesser-known camino in February this year. Despite some people in this thread being a bit dismissive, I took a sleeping bag and I AM SO GLAD I DID. Here are my reasons why:
  1. In one of the hostels, I was the first person staying there that year. The heating hadn't been on for about four months. I had the place to myself. It was cold. There were blankets but they looked a bit mouldy/gross.
  2. In one of the hostels, there weren't any blankets that I could see.
  3. In a private hostel, the beds were already made up so I slept in sheets and blankets instead of my sleeping bag. My sleeping bag would have been warmer!
  4. After walking all day through the rain (as is the way in Galicia), nothing was nicer than having a hot shower and then getting into my warm snuggly sleeping bag.
I already owned a sleeping bag from school sleepovers when I was young, so I just took that one. It wasn't a fancy light-weight, compresses-into-the-size-of-a-flannel one. One good thing about me is that I'm a light packer, so taking a bulky-ish sleeping bag wasn't an issue for me. It wasn't too heavy. It took up some space but since I only had food, soap and a change of clothes in my bag, it didn't really affect me.

If you're doing a quiet route in winter, I would recommend a sleeping bag. From April/May onwards, you're probably fine with just a liner. I personally would take a cheap blanket of my own too - they're light and fold pretty small. They're always handy.

Hope this helps someone!

By 'hostel' I mean albergue... I've forgotten the camino lingo already!

Hello folks, it's been nearly a year since I wrote my original post but I wanted to come back to it because, having been on the walk, I can now maybe advise other people!

I went on a short, lesser-known camino in February this year. Despite some people in this thread being a bit dismissive, I took a sleeping bag and I AM SO GLAD I DID. Here are my reasons why:
  1. In one of the hostels, I was the first person staying there that year. The heating hadn't been on for about four months. I had the place to myself. It was cold. There were blankets but they looked a bit mouldy/gross.
  2. In one of the hostels, there weren't any blankets that I could see.
  3. In a private hostel, the beds were already made up so I slept in sheets and blankets instead of my sleeping bag. My sleeping bag would have been warmer!
  4. After walking all day through the rain (as is the way in Galicia), nothing was nicer than having a hot shower and then getting into my warm snuggly sleeping bag.
I already owned a sleeping bag from school sleepovers when I was young, so I just took that one. It wasn't a fancy light-weight, compresses-into-the-size-of-a-flannel one. One good thing about me is that I'm a light packer, so taking a bulky-ish sleeping bag wasn't an issue for me. It wasn't too heavy. It took up some space but since I only had food, soap and a change of clothes in my bag, it didn't really affect me.

If you're doing a quiet route in winter, I would recommend a sleeping bag. From April/May onwards, you're probably fine with just a liner. I personally would take a cheap blanket of my own too - they're light and fold pretty small. They're always handy.

Hope this helps someone!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.