• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag

rickster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012), LePuy (2013), Coastal Portuguese( 2013), Norte (Fall 2014)
Hi, I'm from SW Florida and I'm starting the Camino May 11th. Still undecided about whether to carry a lightweight sleeping bag. Also, do these bags stuff in your backpack or do you just attach them to the outside of the pack? Any recommendations?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
rickster said:
Still undecided about whether to carry a lightweight sleeping bag. Also, do these bags stuff in your backpack or do you just attach them to the outside of the pack?
Hi Rickster,
Most people seem to carry a bag, most carry inside their pack (less vunerable to rain), but I have seen others attach them to the outside of pack. I think the size of your pack might determine the options you have. I use a slightly larger pack than most would suggest, my view is just because you have the space you don't have to "jam pack it". This way my sleeping bag goes inside, I use a waterproof stuff sack for it (larger than the sleeping bag stuff sack), this way it is easy to pack & unpack. Regarding recomendations, they tend to get lighter with price, mummy style packs smaller, nice to have a decent section for your head this acts a a pillow cover.
Buen Camino.
Col.

Col., thanks so much for your response. Very good feedback for a rookie trekker like me. Rickster

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
rickster said:
Hi, I'm from SW Florida and I'm starting the Camino May 11th. Still undecided about whether to carry a lightweight sleeping bag. Also, do these bags stuff in your backpack or do you just attach them to the outside of the pack? Any recommendations?
My recommendation is to carry a lightweight sleeping bag, around +5 deg C, but some people seem to have walked with just a thicker liner. The issue is whether you can find albergues that have blankets, and not all do.
I don't believe in carrying anything outside my pack if possible.

Regards,

My nylon liner cannot be described as a thicker liner. It weighs about 4 ounces, but warms me about 10 degrees F. In May, June, and July, most of the albergues were so hot inside that the liner was more for modesty than warmth. I may have been lucky, but blankets were available the couple of times I needed them (though I also have a Tyvek sheet that adds another 10 degrees of warmth, and used it a couple of times). The liner is home-made and has a pocket/pillow case that fits the long European (French, actually) pillows. So I have a complete barrier against bed bugs (having treated the liner and sheet with permethrin).

Only you know if you sleep "cold." If you do, take a sleeping bag. If you don't, expect that the other 100 bodies in the dormitory will keep the place quite warm and stuffy at night. In either case, consider that you will carry for a month something that you might only need twice, and those times there may be blankets available that you don't have to carry at all. Taking anything that you "might need" should be carefully contemplated -- is there an alternative that might eliminate carrying the item?

I should have mentioned that I finished my Camino in May, and had used my own sleeping bag and liner every night in preference to using blankets. Many pilgrims seemed to pay scant heed to what I had considered sound hygiene practice, and didn't bother with a liner or sheet when using the albergue blankets. Only in Galicia did the albergues that I used provide disposable sheets and pillowslips that addressed this.

When I walked, there was only one place where there were anything close to 100 other pilgrims present in the dormitory, and that was at Najera. After that experience, I was happy to forego the prospect that there might have been some benefit from the close proximity of so many others, and avoided larger albergues where I could.

In any case, Najera appears to be unusual in only having the one large dormitory, and in most other places, the dormitory rooms were much smaller even where the albergue itself might have been accommodating more pilgrims.

I wouldn't change my recommendation, but clearly I was walking earlier in the year than you intend to, and my experience less relevant than others who have walked later in the year.

Regards,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Información sobre el Albergue Ferramenteiro

Impresión general:
Estado de conservación: Muy bien
Disponibilidad del albergue: Según demanda
Precio: 10 euros el alojamiento
Plazas
Plazas totales: 130
Nº de plazas en litera: 130
One of the best, and the largest, of the albergues. It has one sleeping room with divider curtains, two kitchens, a lounge, separate toilet and showers facilities, lots of blankets (ask for them), a large covered drying area, lots of computer connections, and only one side with windows. On an early July night with all the windows open, it was sweltering.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Dear all, as I intent to bring a tent I would be very grateful if you could share some of your tips on how to keep the total weight down or even your own packing list. Currently I am about to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.