• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks, no really

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is one of those ask 10 people, get 10 different answers kind of question. It's really personal preference and trying out different types and combinations of socks. Some people swear by merino wool socks and within that group there are devotees of particular brands. Others just wear some socks already in their sock drawer. Others like socks made of hi-tech materials. Personally, I've worn WrightSocks double layer socks most of the time on the Camino, with a brief interlude or two with some merino wool socks.

This is one of those ask 10 people, get 10 different answers kind of question. It's really personal preference and trying out different types and combinations of socks. Some people swear by merino wool socks and within that group there are devotees of particular brands. Others just wear some socks already in their sock drawer. Others like socks made of hi-tech materials. Personally, I've worn WrightSocks double layer socks most of the time on the Camino, with a brief interlude or two with some merino wool socks.
Thanks for that much appreciated

Any that normally feels comfortable with your runners for long walks. Don't friction, Don't clump, don't get drenched in sweat.

I like the Decathlon socks with that little "compression" bit in the middle. The stay in place and are very affordable.
Thank you for that I'll look them up cheers

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have no strong opinion on what socks to recommend as I walked for years in sandals, no socks, and currently am in sandals with merino socks that just happened to be in my drawer...

But if you are walking in spring, autumn or winter - I do suggest Heat Holding socks to wear at night! I take a pair. Double as slippers, or if wearing lightweight uncovered plastic shoes (like Crocs) in the evening to give feet a rest. Especially while walking outside. I've posted a link above to a website, but many supermarkets have them.

Hi folks a really simple complicated question.
The right socks for the Camino Frances in October wearing hiking runners....help!
Cheers Michael
Darn Tough Medium Hiking +1.

After 30+ years of hiking, they're my favourites. Not on one pair mind you... Although they claim this 😅

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did the Cape Wrath trail with Sealskins socks. Surprisingly good through wet conditions and fording streams. It feels like you are wet for a moment but you are dry inside. You still sweat inside them, but you can wear a thin liner sock. There is a thicker heavier version for winter conditions.

I also wore trail runners which got wet but dispersed the water very quickly. Such a shoe would work for most established trails.

We tried lots of combos during our lead up. Wrightsocks were top of the heap for both of us, although the boss also liked merino liners with heavier single layer socks. He found toe socks good, I found they gave me pins and needles.

Trial and error and testing while training……

Speaking feet - I must put in a vote for NZ made Hikers Wool. I heard it was good so bought some to take along. I used it to successfully protect known vulnerable spots, but also when I foolishly (and I know better, darn it) let a blister develop. Five days later, after padding the blister each day with hikers wool, it had not burst or caused pain. Post Camino it dried out and eventually peeled, but that was weeks later.

If you already have the hiking runners, then a big part of the decision is what will fit into your existing shoes. This year I walked the Portugues. I had to use orthotics which took up more space. In the past, with hiking boots, I used a pair of light socks with a pair of medium socks. When I changed to trail runners, I found that wide Hokas were too tight with medium socks, so I switched to a light wool pair with a light liner sock. That worked well. The wool socks I used were a mix of smart wool and REI socks. The light ones were REI and a pair I bought in Spain 4 years ago that have the name Bamboo. I sure would like to find them for sale in the USA. The problem with light socks was the lack of choices. I wanted to use 1/4 with 1/4 wool socks. I could not find 1/4 so my options were real short ones sometimes called naked socks and regular length ones. I went with the longer ones and scrunched them down to the height of the shorter outer socks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola
After shoes/boots socks are just about the next most important "clothing" article. Over the past 10 years I have taken to wearing two socks on each foot: the first one is a thin "inner lining" sock (I use the toe socks and they are great for keeping toes from rubbing against each other); my outer sock is a thicker one that would normally be worn on its own. My other custom: when you stop for coffee; lunch etc take-off the footwear and the outer socks. This allows your feet to "breath" and releases any built up persperation. Beun Camino.

October is just not cold enough to worry about on the CF--it's actually very good walking weather. I'm walking this October on the CP, and wearing lightweight Injinji toe socks. My wife wears medium weight, but for the padding (she gets the kind with double knit around the toes), not for warmth. YMMV

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The right socks for the Camino Frances in October wearing hiking runners....help!
Cheers Michael
I wore La Sportiva hiking runners (May and September). My training hikes highlighted rubbing together of two toes. So I tried Ininji Coolmax toe socks and wore Bridgeable Coolmax liner socks over them. I had zero blisters on both the Frances and the Finisterre Caminos and will wear the same combination next time 🙏

Good luck and Buen Camino! 🚶🎒🇪🇦

Hi Michael,
You’re so right to consider what socks to bring. It’s also true that there are many different socks that have worked for different people. My experience is that Wright socks have been very good for me. They have a built in liner to prevent friction and to avoid blisters. With the addition of a generous helping of Vaseline between my toes and on friction points of my foot the Wright socks have worked well for me. I recommend three pairs of socks because of the daily washings and because sometimes the washed pair are still wet in the morning - having a half dozen medium sized safety pins is also helpful so that wet socks, etc., can be attached to the back of the pack to dry as you’re walking.
Whatever socks you decide upon, God bless you and Buen Camino!
Daniel (Slowtraveler)

toe socks as inner sock, light wool sock as outer sock.

Thanks @NomadJMJ
Never tried "toe socks" as they are not available in local stores.

Would you recommend injinji toe socks (or equivalent) only as liners to an oversock?
In your opinion, would a single pair of normal toe socks also provide enhanced protection against toe blisters.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I tried different brand for socks like Injinji and Declathon. The best for me are Danish Endurance merino hiking as they are lightweight, comfortable and high quality. I’m using them for the summer months. Highly recommended !

Thanks @NomadJMJ

Would you recommend injinji toe socks (or equivalent) only as liners to an oversock?
In your opinion, would a single pair of normal toe socks also provide enhanced protection against toe blisters.
Some people swear by using inliners and a woolen outersocks. Personally i think its a mattee of persobal preference. I trued double socks but it didn’t work for me; it’s too hot and uncomfortable. A light summer hiking sock is my prefered choice.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Cheers Michael
I brought 2 pairs of Darn Tough and one pair of smart wool socks. The smart wool socks got holes and the rlastii is c wore out, the darn tough worked great. I purchased toe sock liners in a wicking material en route. These helped with the blisters on my baby toes. Buen Camino. I also brought safety pins and often pinned my socks to my backpack because they did not dry overnight.

Cheers Michael
Just completed second Camino in Smart Wool socks - CF in 2021 and Del Norte, Lebaniego, Primitivo this year. I had a few blisters on the CF so for this Camino I added the REI Coolmax sockliner to reduce friction between the smartwool sock and my skin. This worked very well. The sockliners are both light weight and cheap ~$10 USD and add very little to sock volume in your shoes (I wear and swear by Topo for wide toe box). Only negative to smartwool socks is that they do not always dry overnight, but that's why we carry safety pins to hang any damp laundry on our packs for solar drying!

I'm a sweat-a-lot person, and it's hard to choose socks. Even though I wear (and become the Camino shoes) breathable summer running shoes, my feet get sweaty. Sweats in Smart Wool, all kinds of merino wool, toe socks and in any case anything that is double. So, I choose thin, synthetic running socks with a little compression over the middle, feel good both during running and walking. We all have different feet, they are what works for me, hate to have wet feet. However, whether they will work in hot climates for many hours a day remains to be seen.

Thanks @NomadJMJ

I only walk in Injinji coolmax socks and hiked in La Sportiva Trail runners. Just one sock, not two. Not sure where you shop but REI and Amazon sell them. I have walked in high heat and cold rain in them on the Camino and I will never be without that combo. I do at times get a bit of a hotspot on my heel if it's hot and I just use a small piece of KT tape that I leave on until it comes off. Never a fan of pulling KT tape off daily as it will stick well and possibly be rough on your skin. HTH Buen Camino. I'll be back out there in September on the Frances.

Just completed second Camino in Smart Wool socks - CF in 2021 and Del Norte, Lebaniego, Primitivo this year. I had a few blisters on the CF so for this Camino I added the REI Coolmax sockliner to reduce friction between the smartwool sock and my skin. This worked very well. The sockliners are both light weight and cheap ~$10 USD and add very little to sock volume in your shoes (I wear and swear by Topo for wide toe box). Only negative to smartwool socks is that they do not always dry overnight, but that's why we carry safety pins to hang any damp laundry on our packs for solar drying!
Thank you for that I will look into it cheers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm a sweat-a-lot person, and it's hard to choose socks. Even though I wear (and become the Camino shoes) breathable summer running shoes, my feet get sweaty. Sweats in Smart Wool, all kinds of merino wool, toe socks and in any case anything that is double. So, I choose thin, synthetic running socks with a little compression over the middle, feel good both during running and walking. We all have different feet, they are what works for me, hate to have wet feet. However, whether they will work in hot climates for many hours a day remains to be seen.
Thanks for your help

Over several Caminos we have been 3 sock-layers pilgrims.
Inner 'coolmax' wicking, mid light mohair, outer cushion sole mohair (Sportsman and Companion -short). No blisters and any sweat absorbed. Corrymoor's mohair does not smell and does not need washing, just needs to air-off overnight. 2 sets mohairs and 3 r 4 pairs inner lightweight wicking socks were sufficient.
The only problem is that you do need to buy shoes/boots when wearing them so not a solution if you already have those.
Corrymoor (UK) ship their mohair socks to other countries and I see the OP @Michaelg1962 is in Australia but this might give some ideas....
Buen Camino

Over several Caminos we have been 3 sock-layers pilgrims.
Inner 'coolmax' wicking, mid light mohair, outer cushion sole mohair (Sportsman and Companion -short). No blisters and any sweat absorbed. Corrymoor's mohair does not smell and does not need washing, just needs to air-off overnight. 2 sets mohairs and 3 r 4 pairs inner lightweight wicking socks were sufficient.
The only problem is that you do need to buy shoes/boots when wearing them so not a solution if you already have those.
Corrymoor (UK) ship their mohair socks to other countries and I see the OP @Michaelg1962 is in Australia but this might give some ideas....
Buen Camino
Thanks for that I'll look into it cheers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For long hikes I pretty much have to use five finger toe socks. They prevent blisters and are really comfortable for me over the whole day. I have stopped even buying any other kind of sock.

My preferred combo is Injinji liners with Lightfeet Evolution socks. As a bonus Lightfeet are made in Australia too.

€83,-
Cheers Michael
Hi,
I used Nike dry fit and wool socks on top.
It worked for me. I didn’t have any blisters almost the whole way except one which popped up on the last stretch. This was due to my laziness since this one time I didn’t air my feet at the stop. My son and I were free of blisters. although I is annoying to take your boots off every time you stop, it is very helpful.
Buen Camino.

Hi,
I used Nike dry fit and wool socks on top.
It worked for me. I didn’t have any blisters almost the whole way except one which popped up on the last stretch. This was due to my laziness since this one time I didn’t air my feet at the stop. My son and I were free of blisters. although I is annoying to take your boots off every time you stop, it is very helpful.
Buen Camino.
Thank you I'll look them up

Cheers Michael
I walk 7.5 miles a day, 6 days a week. I wear SmartWool “light” socks size large. Some time ago I went to the local shops to buy another pair and accidentally picked up a pair of extra large. I gave them a go and after some early sliding I found them much more comfortable around the ankles. Now preparing for my next Camino I find myself in a bit of a quandary as to what size I should wear. Either size, the are great, long lasting socks.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.