• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks

DarlineUK

Darline UK
Time of past OR future Camino
last camino walked 2012 from Leon to Santiago de Compostela
I will be walking the camino again in July 2015 SJPP to Pamploma stage.
Can anyone recommend the best socks for me. Last camino my feet held up without any blisters for the first 150 kilometres then I had very bad blisters to contend with. Oh and they are painful:(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Darline,
thorlo.com has a cool promotion right now that allows you to get the socks of your choice for free as long as you pay the shipping. it gives you a chance to try out their socks. I actually found them quite comfortable and well made. they have lots of different styles. wool and synthetics are used. all you do is go to the website and choose the 'FREE socks" button. It will ask you a bunch of questions to figure out how best they can help you.

dave

Socks help but it's the boots which tell the story. Your feet swell and contract all day as you walk, your boots stretch and contract as you walk, and your feet become sweaty, hot, and wet creating wonderful condition for blisters, bunions, and fungal infection. My solution is to be constantly aware of what is going on down there, on a long day I have every hour a short rest off my feet, every two hours take off the boots for a longer "airing out", a change of socks at lunchtime, and newspaper in the boots every evening to dry them and to hold their shape. Loosen or tighten the laces at each stage. Sounds complicated but quickly becomes routine, requires a couple more pair of socks to carry but they are not heavy and certainly worth the small effort and your gain of no blisters. PS it also allows one to partake of the camaraderie of other pilgrims and chinwag in the cafe/bar with the ah...beverage of choice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Honestly, nobody can advise what is best for you. You have to find that out yourself. What we can do is say what worked for us and maybe one of these options will work great for you as well.

For me, wool, doublesocking, 1000 mile socks ect did not work. I ended up in blister heaven with those things.
I found my true sock love in the (injinji) coolmax toesocks.

We use Rohan inner and hot socks as liners (men's or women's depending on show size) with double Corrymoor mohair socks over them. One pair of Sportsman and one pair of either Companion or Woodlander (shorter or longer cushion soles) - unisex sizing. Our boots are bought to fit with these 3 pairs of socks on and a little wriggle room (middle finger goes down the back of the heel between foot and boot when the toes are right forward and boots are not laced.
We have not had blisters and it is the middle socks which take the wear, which is interesting. Works for us and we like the makes, but a similar combination of other makes might work better for you. We washed the liners daily and the Corrymoors about once a week or so. I powdered my feet each night , Terry did his each morning and we neither of us wet our feet in the morning. Our feet did not sweat much (breathable boots) and shorter days meant that if they did we were not walking with damp feet/socks. I think that is often what causes the blisters. We changed into spare liners and Sportsman Corrymoors with Crocs each afternoon - set kept for that as extra to the actual walking socks. Packing for walking was one spare set of mohairs and 2 pairs liners, plus all the ones on our feet.
Good luck and Buen Camino

I trained last year without any foot problems. Then I walked the Camino and had blisters like everyone else. It was quite an unexpected surprise. This year I am putting "Glove in a bottle" on my feet, wearing Injinji sock liners, and medium weight Smart Wool socks. I also purchased a different boot (Keen) that leaves more room for the toes. I plan to change socks every two hours.

The training walks have been problem free. Only time will tell if I have found a solution that works for me.

I still plan to bring some Compeed and a needle along for back up.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can anyone recommend the best socks for me. Last camino my feet held up without any blisters for the first 150 kilometres then I had very bad blisters to contend with. Oh and they are painful:(
I used 1000 mile fusion socks the CF last fall and only had 1 tiny blister. But it is an indiidual thing.

Thanks for the info, I have never heard of them do they sel lthem in the UK

Darline,
thorlo.com has a cool promotion right now that allows you to get the socks of your choice for free as long as you pay the shipping. it gives you a chance to try out their socks. I actually found them quite comfortable and well made. they have lots of different styles. wool and synthetics are used. all you do is go to the website and choose the 'FREE socks" button. It will ask you a bunch of questions to figure out how best they can help you.

dave
@david townsend this offer appears to be for US residents only. I am sure that might help some people, but the OP is from the UK.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@david townsend , thank you for this info. I just ordered a pair.

I wore Ice Breaker over Injinji toe socks and never got a blister on my Camino. Now they seem to be too tight in spite of the fact that at home I always wash in cold water and do not put into the dryer. I wonder if my feet have changed or if the occasional dryers used on the Camino (or both) caused this. I have worn Darn Tough and like them for daily walking, but after a few days, they don't feel right. I like Bridgedale, but only own one pair and hesitate to invest in any more since I now have a large collection of expensive socks. Has anyone else experienced this "works for awhile, then wants a change" phenomenon?

Injini toesocks cant go in the dryer. If a normal sock shrinks a little, no real harm done, but if the toe sections of a toesock shrink, you can probably throw them away.

Luckily they dry very very quickly without a dryer.

Injini toesocks cant go in the dryer. If a normal sock shrinks a little, no real harm done, but if the toe sections of a toesock shrink, you can probably throw them away.

Luckily they dry very very quickly without a dryer.
My injinji are fine; it is the outer Ice Breakers that seem to have shrunk. But for some reason I am finding fault with EVERY outer sock after about a week of wearing and only cold water and no dryer involved. One would think that having 43 Camino days behind me with no blisters, I could keep on doing what I did, but it just doesn't seem to be working anymore. :(

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
100miles socks in two layers with blister garantee. But there are different kinds, some thin and some thicker. I walk with them every day all the year, the thicker in winter and thinner in summer. First time I tried them on the camino I went from Sevilla to Arzua without a blister. Got one the last day into Santiago! They are not more expensive than other socks bought in sportshops.

Voting on Bridgedale socks too! I had NO blisters at all however I did change my socks 3 times a day at the beginning then reduced it for twice a day. Just use clothes-pins and let them dry / air on your backpack while walking :)

At first I used a liner with something I can not remember, it gave me a blister at the 3rd day after a long walk, even thought I took my feet out during the mid day and soaked in cold water and etc. I started to use Injiji as a liner on the morning of the 4th day, it got too hot in the afternoon, so I took out the out layer. Ever since for the rest of the Camino , I only used Injiji. I brought two pairs, one started to get a hole after 1/3 of the distance, I kept using it anyway till half way, and then started the 2nd pair. I walked to Finnisterra and Muxia. No blister ever after using Injii. It was in the summer June to July, so it was very hot. I did not take the regular weight, it was the thin Injiji, because I was thinking about using it as a liner.If I knew I would use it alone, I would bring the regular, it is thicker and more durable. And I wear a pair of Keen, one size larger than my regular shoe.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
100miles socks in two layers with blister garantee. But there are different kinds, some thin and some thicker. I walk with them every day all the year, the thicker in winter and thinner in summer. First time I tried them on the camino I went from Sevilla to Arzua without a blister. Got one the last day into Santiago! They are not more expensive than other socks bought in sportshops.

I used the two layer 1000 mile socks. They were the first once to give me blisters. I should have done something with that "no blisters" garantee. If only to see what their reaction would be.

At first I used a liner with something I can not remember, it gave me a blister at the 3rd day after a long walk, even thought I took my feet out during the mid day and soaked in cold water and etc. I started to use Injiji as a liner on the morning of the 4th day, it got too hot in the afternoon, so I took out the out layer. Ever since for the rest of the Camino , I only used Injiji. I brought two pairs, one started to get a hole after 1/3 of the distance, I kept using it anyway till half way, and then started the 2nd pair. I walked to Finnisterra and Muxia. No blister ever after using Injii. It was in the summer June to July, so it was very hot. I did not take the regular weight, it was the thin Injiji, because I was thinking about using it as a liner.If I knew I would use it alone, I would bring the regular, it is thicker and more durable. And I wear a pair of Keen, one size larger than my regular shoe.

I brought the thin and regular injini with me. 2 pairs of each. It was so hot, i found the regulars to be too thick, but your right, they were probably more durable. The thin onces are so nice and cool.
I used two pairs of this injinji's all the way toFinisterre. First pair lasted about half way, with hooes in 'm. Second pair got the holes from SdC to Finisterre.
Still though, even with holes, i loved 'm. Gave me no blisters at all. I just used sportstape to patch the hole :)

I brought the thin and regular injini with me. 2 pairs of each. It was so hot, i found the regulars to be too thick, but your right, they were probably more durable. The thin onces are so nice and cool.
I used two pairs of this injinji's all the way toFinisterre. First pair lasted about half way, with hooes in 'm. Second pair got the holes from SdC to Finisterre.
Still though, even with holes, i loved 'm. Gave me no blisters at all. I just used sportstape to patch the hole :)
Were these relatively new when you started? It doesn't seem like they lasted very long at all if that were already holey half way to Santiago.

On the more general issue, I have been using liner socks made by Horizon and more recently Mountain Designs. My favourite socks are mid-weight trekking socks from an Australian company, Mont, but they are made in China, and are probably sold as a house brand elsewhere as well. This is the combination that I used for St Olavs Way, a whole lot of walking locally between 2012 and 2014, and again last year on the Camino Ingles and then onto Muxia and Finisterre. I do wear other trekking socks as well, but the two pairs I took to Norway have lasted since then for a lot of walking, and no blisters.

I do prepare my feet by taping high risk areas on long walks, and use an anti-fungal foot powder. I have been blister free for all these walks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@dougfitz yep, they were brandnew. Used the once i brought a few times at home, but thats it.

I guess, to me, thats the only downside to the thin injini socks, they could be more duarable, but still, 2 new pairs of thin injini's are coming with me on my next walk.

Each has his therory and each has different feet that will respond differently... but, for me it was four things: 1) Merino wood socks; 2) good Salomon hiking boots, with a running last (super comfortable); 3) tight boots, so no rubbing goes on during walk - you'll get used to it; 4) at lunch time (half way into the day), take off boots and socks, air feet, then put on a fresh pair of socks. Tighten everything up.
After a few miles, morning and afternoon, retighthen the laces, as they tend to loose up a bit. People usually do the opposite thinking the boots are too tight and that the blisters will come, but it is when the boots are loose that this happens.
Enjoy le Chemin!
Dan

Each has his therory and each has different feet that will respond differently... but, for me it was four things: 1) Merino wood socks; 2) good Salomon hiking boots, with a running last (super comfortable); 3) tight boots, so no rubbing goes on during walk - you'll get used to it; 4) at lunch time (half way into the day), take off boots and socks, air feet, then put on a fresh pair of socks. Tighten everything up.
After a few miles, morning and afternoon, retighthen the laces, as they tend to loose up a bit. People usually do the opposite thinking the boots are too tight and that the blisters will come, but it is when the boots are loose that this happens.
Enjoy le Chemin!
Dan
Dan , I only wear icebreaker merino wool socks . And these socks are great for me . But so many people , so many opinions. And also retighten the laces a few times as you said .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dan , I only wear icebreaker merino wool socks . And these socks are great for me . But so many people , so many opinions. And also retighten the laces a few times as you said .
Those are the socks I wear too... and that was "Merino wool socks", and not "wood" ..LOL typo on my part!!

I used a 1000 mile sock that I ordered from Amazon blister free guarantee used two different kinds and I had no blisters I did 280 miles had an injury that slowed me down. Drink lots of water important part of getting no blisters! Be ready for a great experience!

Honestly, nobody can advise what is best for you. You have to find that out yourself. What we can do is say what worked for us and maybe one of these options will work great for you as well.

For me, wool, doublesocking, 1000 mile socks ect did not work. I ended up in blister heaven with those things.
I found my true sock love in the (injinji) coolmax toesocks.

Janicelee, I just discovered the Injini Coolmax Toesocks, too, and have been trying them out before I go in May, and love them, too. A question, though, for you - do you just wear one layer of the toesocks, or do you do the double-layer thing like some people recommend? Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Debby,

No, i dont use layers. I did try it, but it just wasnt for me. I still got blisters. For me, double layers is just too warm and therefor moisture will build up easily and cause blisters. It is all about knowing your body. I get hot very quickly. I wear short sleeve tshirts the whole winter thru. No sweaters for me. I would sweat the whole day, even in minus......whatever.

I like my shoes and socks very airy :)

For toesocks, i dont see why double layers would be a good idea. The seperate toesections already fuction as sort of a double layer inbetween your toes. The skin of your toes cant possibly rub against one another.

What i do use, is sportstape. I tape certain parts of my foot that i know might be vulnerable. I a way, the tape in combination with the sock will also function as a dual layer, but a lot lighter and yes, a lot more more airy.

How funny does it feel to have little toe socks? I cannot stand a normal thong sandal, so I cannot imaging toe socks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You feel 'm for 2 minutes, bevause its different, and then its normal. They are great, imo

Not a single blister or hot spot on my last Camino. Try Wright Socks Cool Mesh II. I used these plus preemptively taped up likely rubbing points on my feet; Heel, toes and outer edge. I also used sports shield silicon towlette between toes. I also aired my feet as often as possible (worst case twice a day but normally approx at each break every 2 hours or so (except when raining). Added to this I tried many different shoes / boots over time until I found a pair that fitted my feet and walked everywhere in (apart from at work) them for months before we started. Priorities for no/minimal blisters: 1. Good shoes, 2. 'foot fitness', 3. dual socks and taping, 4. airing feet regularly. Finally after hot days we would cool our feet down in a cold bath/tub/ice.

I swear by Darn Tough socks and well citing boots.. I never wear two layers of socks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I strongly recommend the Spanish 'Lurbel' trail running/hiking socks. I got them last year in a great little shop in Leon. They are pricey, but well worth the money. I'll be buying more when I return this year!

Dave -
Thank you for the information regarding the Thorlos free sock offer. I just ordered my pair and am looking forward to trying them out. I would have never known about the offer otherwise...

Thanks again,
Scott

Just ordered my "free" pair of Thorlos. Looking forward to trying them. Thanks for the tip.

Normally I am a single Darn Tough sock wearer. (Like Pilgy above)
I find their sizing fits my smallish feet well. And I like the simplist sock system that works.
I do hike almost every day with no blisters but I know the long days on the Camino will likely surprise me.

horlo.com has a cool promotion right now that allows you to get the socks of your choice for free as long as you pay the shipping. it gives you a chance to try out their socks. I actually found them quite comfortable and well made. they have lots of different styles. wool and synthetics are used. all you do is go to the website and choose the 'FREE socks" button. It will ask you a bunch of questions to figure out how best they can help you.

Thanks Dave for posting this about the Thorlo socks. I went to their website and ordered a pair and have already received them. They seem very cushion-y. I'll give them a try although I'm pretty happy with the Injinji liners and the Icebreaker merino socks I've been practicing with. I'm going to take an assortment of socks with me.

Try Wright Socks Cool Mesh II.
Just bought these last weekend and have been trying them locally. Super light, double layer, but perhaps not quite high enough depending on the shoe you are wearing. But, if like me, you have difficulty with thick socks, this may be your solution.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the Thorlo tip. Mine shipped today!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I used the two layer 1000 mile socks. They were the first once to give me blisters. I should have done something with that "no blisters" garantee. If only to see what their reaction would be.

I have to believe that most blisters are caused by ill fitting boots rather than ill fitting socks, and I've always wondered how that company can make such a guarantee. No matter how perfect, how moisture-wicking your fancy sock, if the boots are too small or too big you will get blisters, don't you think?

I have to believe that most blisters are caused by ill fitting boots rather than ill fitting socks, and I've always wondered how that company can make such a guarantee. No matter how perfect, how moisture-wicking your fancy sock, if the boots are too small or too big you will get blisters, don't you think?
If, at that time, i was wearing other socks, i would probably still have had blisters, so yes.
I also do think that there is a perfect combination of the two possible. You just have to find it.
If i would exchance my injini toesocks for similar socks, but without the toesections, i think i would surely have more chance of blisters around the toe area.
I will never be sure though, as i dont feel like putting that theory to the test :)
I wonder why...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No matter how perfect, how moisture-wicking your fancy sock, if the boots are too small or too big you will get blisters, don't you think?
I have a slightly different view, which is that socks alone cannot compensate if your footwear doesn't fit properly, but they can help if you know how.

For footwear that doesn't allow your foot too expand as much as it might otherwise, using thinner socks can reduce the overall bulk and give the foot a little more expansion room.

Similarly, for footwear that is a little short, and one's toes end up pressing into the end of the toebox, thinner socks and tighter lacing might be enough to make enough difference. If not, new boots are pretty much the only option.

There are similar limits to how much difference thicker socks can make for footwear that is otherwise too large. A thicker footbed can help too, but if there is still too much room, the heel won't sit correctly and the foot can move around too much.

You could try a philosophical approach.

My reasoning was simple. I really like walking on close cropped meadow, preferably barefoot. You know the sort, soft, resilient, springy, predictable, pleasant on the lower spine. Not too many sheep droppings. Slightly ticklish. An 'everything is right with the world' kind of striding out suits the surface.

Choosing my footwear to emulate that kind of surface was a conscious choice and it has made long walks a joy. Thick socks, sorbothane insoles, and lightweight (flat) trail running shoes with the grip mostly sanded off work for me.

I have not had a single blister, ever.
(except digging out the drive in Wellington boots)

I agree with Peregrina that it is more likely to be your shoes, than your socks, that cause blisters.
Over the years, I've gone from special socks to just picking up whatever is available in the local China Dollar Store.
I usually start out with SmartWool.
I've stopped bothering with liners.
If it's hot, I pick up cotton socks locally.
In fact, except for my Macabi skirt and my waterproof wind jacket, I'm stressing less and less about clothing and just taking what I have.
This doesn't have to be as "technical" a walk as some of us make it...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

What SHOES are you wearing?

I also do think that there is a perfect combination of the two possible. You just have to find it.

I completely agree with that. I found that perfect combo on camino #12 or so, but hopefully others are quicker to find theirs! :) I think it's so important to realize that it's not two separate questions, one about shoes and one about socks.

Shoes make what you put a stocking foot onto absolutely predictable, not abrasive, dry enough. Adding arch support, water resistance, padding, protection from crocodile, to make your journey into a luxury lifestyle choice makes sense to me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I strongly recommend the Spanish 'Lurbel' trail running/hiking socks. I got them last year in a great little shop in Leon. They are pricey, but well worth the money. I'll be buying more when I return this year!

Yes, love love my Lurbel . . . I had Injini toe under light Smartwool and I got blisters . . . the Smartwool developed holes in the toes, so I purchased the Lurbel's in Leon and I loved them and for the remainder of the hike my feet loved me. My son wore only Icebreaker light weight hikers and he was fine the entire walk. I think it is a personal preference, everyone's feet react differently, but time of year should also be considered. Summer is more hot, more sweat, etc. At any rate, I have found the Lurbel's here on Amazon, however, not the hiking ones so I am treasuring the ones from Spain all the more. Good look in finding what works for you!

Pop socks, pop socks, pop socks (knee highs in the US?) under Bridgedale hiking socks and not the sight of a blister anywhere for me. Now have convinced husband to wear them under hiking socks (he has gone for black ones instead of flesh coloured...) and even his uneven feet are giving him no cause for concern on his training hikes - 24 kms yesterday.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.