• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks?

Trish K

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Nov/Dec (2017)
Camino Norte (2019)
Camino Primitivo (2019)
Camino Portuguese (2020)
So, lots of info advice on here re: best socks for blister free walking etc, but I'm after some advice on the best 'quick-drying' socks. I'll be doing my Camino this winter and guessing neither the outside air nor the inside of some of the allbergues will be that warm, so need some socks that will be comfortable to walk in but also dry overnight after a hand wash. I usually wear Bridgedale but mine are years old so probably not that technical - so was looking to upgrade to the Bridgedale Merino Fusion Trekker - any ladies out there tried them?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm not a lady, but socks are socks. Synthetic hiking socks dry much faster than the merino "smart wool" socks. My wife's were "smart wool" and they always took much longer to dry than my synthetic socks. Two brands that have worked for me, both of which I bought at REI, are Wrightsock and Wigwam. Both brands come in sizes for men and women.

I've used wigwam and everything else on the market over the last 20 years. Darn Tough socks are the only ones we buy now. They stay put and never caused a blister. I prefer wool but they sell synthetic ones too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @Trish K - I've walked in the winter and only use medium weight Smart Wool Merino hiking socks. One great difference from summer walking to winter walking is that you (and your feet) typically don't sweat in the winter months. I carry two pairs of socks and happily and scent free walk in them for a couple of days. When I hand wash them they are hung on a line I secure around my bunk so they get full air flow to dry. Usually they are dry by the morning (I do my daily chores as soon as I arrive each day to keep the maximum window of time). If by chance they are not dry it's fine, I have my other pair to wear and will put the washed pair on the line again the next night where I can be assured they will be dry. No worries!
Buen Camino

The drying time of merino socks (like those of other fabrics) depends on the thickness. However, I would pick my socks mainly based on the comfort, feel and fit with my footwear. You can be pretty sure that they will dry in 2 days if not overnight.

Find the best sock for comfort, and test its drying time. If you need to take an extra pair (maybe 3 instead of only 2 spares), do it. You may want to take 3 different pairs as it could be hard to predict which one will be your favourite on a long walk.

The right socks are as important as the right boots/shoes, there are a lot on the market and you have to try a variety to get the right one for you, everyone is different. I've tried about 8 different makes and have settled on the "Darn Tough", they work well for me but they may not be everyones cup of tea.
There is a lot of information floating out there regarding boots/shoes, but not so much on socks. I guess you've just got to try them and decide what's best for you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not a lady, but socks are socks. Synthetic hiking socks dry much faster than the merino "smart wool" socks. My wife's were "smart wool" and they always took much longer to dry than my synthetic socks. Two brands that have worked for me, both of which I bought at REI, are Wrightsock and Wigwam. Both brands come in sizes for men and women.

I too use the Wrightsock and am very pleased with them. Ive walked in them and have hand washed and hung to dry and the next morning they were good to go. No dampness at all. I like the built in liner

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another Wright Socks fan here. Two Caminos and just one tiny toe blister. I wear the lightweight ones. I've only walked in summer months, so almost always had sun to dry them. I took 3 pair in the summer. In winter I might take 4, just to make sure that I always had a dry pair.

So, lots of info advice on here re: best socks for blister free walking etc, but I'm after some advice on the best 'quick-drying' socks. I'll be doing my Camino this winter and guessing neither the outside air nor the inside of some of the allbergues will be that warm, so need some socks that will be comfortable to walk in but also dry overnight after a hand wash. I usually wear Bridgedale but mine are years old so probably not that technical - so was looking to upgrade to the Bridgedale Merino Fusion Trekker - any ladies out there tried them?

I like Bridgedale too but can't remember what mine are called. Anyway I use different types for Summer or Winter... Go for what you are most comfortable with but don't worry about drying times, just take an additionnal pair. They do take longer to dry but 3 pairs should be fine for a Camino.

Good question. I often had trouble getting socks dry and have worn damp socks more than once but they do dry really quickly when on your feet. Actually I found it easier to get socks dry in the cooler months of early spring and late autumn because the heating gets switched on for a few hours in the albergues in the late afternoon and evening.
Buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In cold months I use a very lite wigwam liner. I take 3 pair. Then I use one pair of synthetic medium weight socks. These I wash maybe 1 time per week. The liners dry easily overnight. In the summer months I just wear the liners.

I have used Wigwam synthetic socks on three Caminos and am very satisfied.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just my experience -- 1000 mile fusion models with merino wool exterior and TacTel (nylon) liner have worked well for my girlfriend and me. She suggested I try them about 2.5 years ago and since then our combined miles is well over 10,000 with not one blister. She and I have been training and I logged about 700 miles in April to June earlier this year on the CF, Finisterre and Muxia. I carried two pairs and hand washed a pair each day. The freshly washed pair was usually a little damp the next morning, but dried well in/on my pack during the day so was ready the following day. These were available on Amazon earlier this year and were from the UK. Before this experience I tried several different major brands including those mentioned by others above. I found that the 1000 mile fusions edged the others and were way beyond them on "no blisters."

I've used wigwam and everything else on the market over the last 20 years. Darn Tough socks are the only ones we buy now. They stay put and never caused a blister. I prefer wool but they sell synthetic ones too.
Hi Alaska, went to the Darn Tough Socks website and their socks look great but lots of choices. Which ones do you recommend for camino walking?
Thanks
H

I used to wear all those fancy hiking socks. But now just wear bog standard cotton ones when doing the camino. They cost next to nothing, no problems washing or drying them. If they are still damp in the morning then they soon dry out after a few km of walking. Never have foot or blister problems these days either.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow, as I suspected - a range of great advice and options! Obviously comfort is no 1 priority, so tempted to stick with at least one pair of my old tried and tested Bridgedales, then add a couple of newer pairs - So, based on responses, I have ordered a pair of Darn Tough cushioned boot socks and will test them out over the next few weeks and if they feel OK and dry reasonably well, I'll order a 2nd pair. Socks ain't cheap though are they!!! Have always intended taking 3 pairs plus 2 x sock liners so will stick with that plan for now.

NB: just to say, my reason for asking for ladies opinions, was that we (I at least) have smaller feet than most men and assume , rightly or wrongly, that a smaller pair of UK size 5's will take less time to dry than a mans size 10's for instance. Lets not get into a debate about it though!!!

Hi Alaska, went to the Darn Tough Socks website and their socks look great but lots of choices. Which ones do you recommend for camino walking?
Thanks
H
I only wear wool. I used the cushion ankle length ones. But they have synthetic ones that are just as good if your feet tend to get hot. I took 3 pairs. Wore one, washed it at night, wore the 3rd pair in the evening and next day. Second pair dried overnight and on my pack or I just used the washer/dryers.
If your feet are a little wide consider the men's version. It gives room for your feet to swell. There's a link on my blog: http://www.musingsfromthelastfrontier.com/post-camino-de-santiago-packing-list/

Last edited:
It was not warm or sunny last May, but my darn tough socks always dried overnight.
You should have been on the Primitivo! Hot and dry most days. Short skirt and a t-shirt and I was dying! 70F and higher most days.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow, as I suspected - a range of great advice and options! Obviously comfort is no 1 priority, so tempted to stick with at least one pair of my old tried and tested Bridgedales, then add a couple of newer pairs - So, based on responses, I have ordered a pair of Darn Tough cushioned boot socks and will test them out over the next few weeks and if they feel OK and dry reasonably well, I'll order a 2nd pair. Socks ain't cheap though are they!!! Have always intended taking 3 pairs plus 2 x sock liners so will stick with that plan for now.

NB: just to say, my reason for asking for ladies opinions, was that we (I at least) have smaller feet than most men and assume , rightly or wrongly, that a smaller pair of UK size 5's will take less time to dry than a mans size 10's for instance. Lets not get into a debate about it though!!!
Believe me, you won't need sock liners with Darn Tough socks. They never slip. But only you can decide what works for you. Good luck!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
WrightSocks have worked well for both my wife and I. They come in different weights so depending on the time of year you walk or your preference for thin or heavier socks they have you covered.
On hotter days, I change my socks out mid day to keep my feet as dry as possible. On nights where I can't hang them outside to dry, I just loop them through my back back so they can finish drying as I walk the next day.
I normally take 4 pairs, usually 2 lighter options and two of a heavier weight. With my typical mid day change, I always have a clean dry pair to put on.

One thing I've learned after 400 miles is to try them and notice where the seam hits your toes. My Darn Tough socks fit perfectly for my foot, the seam on the REI socks hits just wrong and is uncomfortable. Never would have thought of this in the past. That's why we train for miles and miles ahead of time., to learn these silly but important details! Have a great trip.

Sealskinzs are great waterproof socks and bridgedale have great sock liners which are great and merino socks wash well would avoid bamboo as they take forever to dry

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have 4 weeks to go before commencing the Camino France's from SJPP. Have tried all sorts of shoe/sock combinations preparing for my first long distance walk. Had no idea things were so technical with hiking gear, but that's another story. I think the sock choice also depends on shoe choice and the size of your feet (half size etc) and how well all of that fits together. Also liner socks / no liners also make a difference. And I have orthotic inserts to contend with as well. No wonder it all comes down to personal preference.

It the end, after much trial and error, I have gone with Injinju toe sock liners + HumphreyLaw merino hiking socks (an Australian made sock) + Merrill hiking boots. For me that seems to work.

I have 4 weeks to go before commencing the Camino France's from SJPP. Have tried all sorts of shoe/sock combinations preparing for my first long distance walk. Had no idea things were so technical with hiking gear, but that's another story. I think the sock choice also depends on shoe choice and the size of your feet (half size etc) and how well all of that fits together. Also liner socks / no liners also make a difference. And I have orthotic inserts to contend with as well. No wonder it all comes down to personal preference.

It the end, after much trial and error, I have gone with Injinju toe sock liners + HumphreyLaw merino hiking socks (an Australian made sock) + Merrill hiking boots. For me that seems to work.
Ice breaker are great I had the injinju toe socks but were not great going down as they can put pressure on your toes but when you are walking flat areas they are great

The right socks are as important as the right boots/shoes, there are a lot on the market and you have to try a variety to get the right one for you, everyone is different. I've tried about 8 different makes and have settled on the "Darn Tough", they work well for me but they may not be everyones cup of tea.
There is a lot of information floating out there regarding boots/shoes, but not so much on socks. I guess you've just got to try them and decide what's best for you.

You are right, everyone has different socks. Due to a little problem with the leg condition, I now use compression socks, especially when I need to walk or stand for a long time, they become my necessities. If you are looking for a men compression sock that can provide support for the legs, I would recommend them.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I used the combination of Wright socks and Vaseline in the morning and after a shower once arriving at destination. Not a single blister.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.