• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish pilgrim dies in Lalin (hit by car)

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
El Correo Gallego has this sad story today:
http://www.elcorreogallego.es/galicia/e ... ia-765232/

In short. At 06.50 a 65 year old pilgrim was hit by a car on the N-525 (by the kilometer marker 294,3) in Lalin and died from the impact. His/her walking partner, a 73 year old pilgrim from Switzerland, was also injured and has been brought to hospital.

The driver was later arrested 5km from where this happen.

It is starting to get darker in the mornings... not sure if this was the reason for this accident, but take care!

:(
Ivar

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
How sad.
It is still dark at 06.50, but it is quite a long walk from Lalin to Vedra, perhaps they wanted to get ahead before it gets hot!
I wonder if they were wearing reflective jackets, they certainly should have been. The danger to pedestrians is why it is a legal requirement to do so but it is a sad reason to bring this up again.

How sad. Is it possible to buy something reflective in SJPdP?

Ellen

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very, very sad - especially for their families and loved ones.

If you don't want to wear a reflective vest when walking in the dark, buy one of those little flashing red lights the cyclist have on their bikes.
Face the oncoming traffic - never walk with the traffic behind you.

This is a tragedy and very sad for all involved. Today is a day when most people in the US and probably elsewhere pause for a few moments to reflect, and I will include this peregrina in my thoughts.

The only time I've walked before daylight was when I walked the Salvador/Primitivo in October and daylight didn't arrive till almost 9 am! I had a headlight on, flashing for the oncoming cars, but there is a stretch between Pola de Lena and Ugo where there is a curvy road and absolutely no shoulder.

I was frequently unsure about what to do when I came to a closed curve (that is, with the curve going sharply to my left so I couldn't see anything) -- do people recommend crossing over to be on the right side of the road in order to take the curve? That's what I did, but I always felt a little vulnerable running across and then back after taking the curve. I suppose there is just no good answer to this other than to use extreme caution.

If you don't want to wear a reflective vest when walking in the dark, buy one of those little flashing red lights the cyclist have on their bikes.

Cyclists have to wear reflective gear when they cycle in poor visibility.

Is it possible to buy something reflective in SJPdP?

I haven't walked from SJPdP only Roncesvalles but from there there is little or no road walking, you should be fine until Pamplona, there are plenty of shops there, bound to be lots of cheap Chinese shops. It is light enough to see by about 07.30, I reckon that, if you want to enjoy your walk , that is quite early enough to walk.

I don't understand what 2 elderly people (I'm 65 too!) were doing, walking so early in the morning, and were they on the VdlP or the Camino de Invierno? Surely they can't have been doing the VdlP over August :!:
What an unnecessary waste of life. A tragedy for all involved.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, sulu,

As you leave the albergue in A Laxe (where the Invierno and Vdlp merge), which is technically in the municipio de Lalin, there's a bit on the N-525. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the location because I've been spooked there myself by a lot of traffic.

I guess it's unrealistic to hope that someday all of the caminos will be moved off the sides of the national highways, but it is certainly a worthy goal.

The follow up article related to that referenced by Ivar explains that the driver was arrested with a blood alcohol level of four times the legal limit. That may have factored into this.

This news is very sad for all concerned.

someday all of the caminos will be moved off the sides of the national highways, but it is certainly a worthy goal.

It is interesting to note that this is what the Italians have worked hard at on the VF. It means that the path winds somewhat and are therefore a little longer, but the few pilgrims that I met were all intent on walking the most direct way - which meant walking along the busy roads! Walking a bit further was, for me, far preferable than walking along the road. They haven't got it quite right yet as there are some bits along busy roads, but in my opinion they have done a pretty good job.

Sil, I do as you and cross the road beofre the corner if the oncoming traffic cannot see me, but when I am walking with my back to the traffic I listen very carefully and when I hear something coming I stop and face the traffic if possible.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is very very sad news indeed. My heart goes to the surviving swiss woman and family and friends of the pilgrim who lost his life.
Strangely I was nearly run over by a car today, recklessly turning vehicle just about mowed me down on way to work. My toes were spared by no more than 2 cm and I had to lean back to avoid being hit by the mirror. I am amazed I managed to react as quickly as I did and after the initial shock have spent the rest of the day in deep gratitude, as my walking days would have been over for sure, if he had hit me and run over my feet. Life is precious! Love and take care, Gitti

As Peregrina2000 says - always walk FACING the oncoming traffic. In fact, if you walk on the 'wrong' side of the road, the police may well stop you, and ask you to move to the right side. Yes - this can become a problem on "blind bends". Change sides if you think it safer.
Always wear reflective clothing OR a head lamp OR both if walking in the dark. Personally, I have never seen the enjoyment of walking at night, losing the arrows and getting lost. I like to see the countryside I'm walking through!
Sadly, in some places it seems almost necessary to walk very early in the dark in order to ensure a bed for the night, as otherwise the albergues may be full. To my mind, this diminishes the pleasure of the camino....but, heck, who am I to comment?!? :)
Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the dead pilgrim.

Buen camino!
Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm
P.S. A lot of nonsense is talked about the age of pilgrims. We are neither old, nor young [unless we're under a year old, or over 100.] I'm walking in 2014 on the Camino Ingles, to celebrate my 75th.

Here is an update to this sad event as published by Municamio.com on line today and translated via Google .

"Fallece una peregrina en Lalín tras ser arrollada por un coche cuyo conductor se dio a la fuga..."

"A pilgrim dies in Lalin after being hit by a car whose driver fled"

"Rosa Alonso Novoa, 65, died on the spot and his companion, ADT remains serious condition in hospital.

A pilgrim, born and resident in Tarragona Ourense, died in Lalin after being hit by a passenger on the N-525, at the height of the polygon Lalín 2000. Rosa Alonso Novoa, 65, was walking along the shoulder correctly the left side of the road next to the ADT Swiss citizen, 73, at 6.45 am when both were hit by a Renault Megane driven by JGDS, 28, a resident Silleda temporarily, which invaded the opposite lane, hit the two walkers and fled.
The driver, who quadrupled the BAC, he fled and was arrested about 500 yards from the accident, up to the motorway roundabout in Bendoiro. In the vicinity of the second roundabout went off the road on the right direction Silleda, where he was arrested by the Guardia Civil. The suspect, who remains in the barracks of the Civil Guard lalinense, driving a car owned by a lalinense, is Paraguayan and domiciled in Cuenca and is accused of the crime of driving under the influence of alcohol gave 1.05 milligrams per test-liter, denial of assistance and homicide by negligence. Is scheduled to go to trial in the coming days.
The location of the driver occurred almost immediately because, well off the road at the crash site was located remains of tourism, including the registration of the same. Sources say the arrest may have lost control of the sedan, which had a strong impact on the hood and the windshield was shattered, allegedly as a result of overwhelm walkers.
The victim and his companion had stayed at the hostel Camino de Santiago, which came minutes before the crash, because between the resort and the scene-a few meters after the geyser on the left side of the road in front of the polygon- There are just over 200 meters. Emergency services were alerted of the accident at 6.55 pm and the 061 moved two ambulances and a medicalized care health staff plus Continuous Care of Lalin (PAC). The doctors could do nothing to save the life of Rosa Novoa, while teammate was evacuated to the University Hospital Complex of Santiago de Compostela (CHUS), where he remains admitted in serious condition.
The deceased and the Swiss male residing in the town of Cambrills (Tarragona) and performed a stage of the Camino de Santiago as it passes through the capital dezana, a stretch in which the Milky Prata road runs along the Ourense-Santiago, in straight area with good visibility."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here is today's additional account of this mortal accident as published by Municamio.com and translated via Google.

"Ingresa en prisión el conductor acusado del atropello mortal de una peregrina en Lalín..."

"Entry in prison accused the driver of a fatal accident in Lalín pilgrim

The holder Lalín No. 1 Court ordered the imprisonment of the young man accused of running over a pilgrim and his companion on the N-525 as it passes through Bergazos place in Lalin. JGDS, 28, from Paraguay and currently residing in Silleda was transferred from the Civil Guard barracks lalinense to court at 10.00 am to give evidence and the judge ordered his transfer to the provincial criminal Lama A little before 14.00 hours.
The driver is charged with criminal offenses of driving under the influence of alcohol gave 1.05 milligrams per liter in the test-refusal relief and homicide by negligence, so that the judge in his ruling girded the crowded prepared by the Traffic Civil Guard, who arrested the driver after a mile run over the victims, at the height of the motorway roundabout Bendoiro. Research Sources indicate that the decision of the judge is usual in such cases, especially when the defendant has no fixed abode and therefore there could be a flight risk.
It should be noted that JGDS has Paraguayan nationality, is counted in Cuenca and lived temporarily in trasdezana capital. The vehicle he was driving was owned by a lalinense.
Once provisional income is decreed in prison, the court will continue the instruction lalinense prosecuted, once the penalty could worsen if besides Rosa Alonso Novoa, 65, also dies his companion, ADT, which remains in state very serious sources said University Hospital Complex of Santiago de Compostela (CHUS). The male, a Swiss national and 73, along with the deceased resided in the town of Cambrils Tarragona.
Both were overwhelmed at 6.45 pm about 100 meters past the Camino de Santiago hostel, where they had stayed to continue his pilgrimage to Compostela. The accused invaded the left lane of the road and rolled. Then empotrándose escaped and ended in the rotunda of the AP-53, in Bendoiro, where he was arrested by the Civil Guard.
"

This has been mentioned before but when walking in the dark wearing reflective clothing or an effective reflector is not only sensible but these days is required by law in Spain. See the following:

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/galicia/20 ... 3P4991.htm

and also this summary:

Reglamento General de la Circulación (General Regulation of the circulation) requires the use of a reflective vest or a comparable piece in the following cases:
· Drivers of cars, buses, lorries it is mandatory to use reflective jackets when outside the vehicle on the road or the hard-shoulder of inter-city roads.
· When on a bike and lights are in use, cyclist are required to use reflective clothing.
· Outside the village, between sunset and sunrise or weather conditions that reduce visibility significantly, all pedestrian, should use reflective jackets.
· Both law enforcement officers to regulate traffic or military police etc should also use reflective jackets or even light indicators.
As a side note all reflective equipment should comply with EN 471, It basically states that the wearer is visible from a minimum distance of 150 metres.

This is so sad for this couple and their families.
I walked on several hikingtours in different countries in the dark. Walking at this early hour in the dark is always difficult and sometimes even frightening. But if you're not a speedy walker with a lot of distance ahead... Sometimes, you cannot choose.
I know, I cannot walk over 30 km's without one or two long breaks. I just would not arrive in good health. My feet would be a disaster due to old injuries.

To be honest, walking at 13-14 o'clock makes me even more nervous...because of siesta...drivers having drunk. (for this reason, the Camino de Madrid was for me the most relaxed tour I ever ever did..)

Ofcourse, you should wear a vest, but I would like to mention that if I walk in the dark, I also wear reflecting strips on my backpack and reflecting bracelets around my arms. To be visible for everything behind me....which is driving on the wrongside of the road...overhauling other cars.

But in this case....drinking and driving....you cannot protect you against this.
It's awful this happened.

Marian

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back