• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

starting from Lisbon is September 6th

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Steve,
You will probably be alone a lot, at least till Porto. The "we love the caminho from Lisboa" group here on the forum will be interested in hearing how it goes for you. If you have the guides we've done (downloadable in the resources section of the forum, one for Lisboa to Porto, the other from Porto to Santiago), I think you'll be able to find your way without much difficulty. The marking is getting better and better, the route is getting more and more off road, and the Portuguese people remain friendly, helpful, and warm. I hope you have a wonderful caminho! Laurie

Thanks Laurie,
Last year I just turned up at st Jean pdp and followed everyone else. I'll prepare a bit more this time. I'll have a look at the guides and get back to you if I have a question if thats okay.
Thanks again

Steve

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Laurie,
Last year I just turned up at st Jean pdp and followed everyone else. I'll prepare a bit more this time. I'll have a look at the guides and get back to you if I have a question if thats okay.
Thanks again

Steve

Hi, Steve, since you won't have anyone to follow this time, it is probably a good idea to get some general sense of things. You'll still have plenty of opportunity for spontaneity, and you will have a lot of surprises and unexpected occurrence even if you have the guides, I'm sure. And the Lisbon cohort on the forum will jump in to answer any questions you care to ask. Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi, Steve, since you won't have anyone to follow this time, it is probably a good idea to get some general sense of things. You'll still have plenty of opportunity for spontaneity, and you will have a lot of surprises and unexpected occurrence even if you have the guides, I'm sure. And the Lisbon cohort on the forum will jump in to answer any questions you care to ask. Bom caminho, Laurie
Yes I agree. Goodness knows where Id end up if I just 'set off' like I did on the St J.
Do you know if there is much Spanish spoken, my portugese isnt great.

Yes I agree. Goodness knows where Id end up if I just 'set off' like I did on the St J.
Do you know if there is much Spanish spoken, my portugese isnt great.

Hi, Steve,
Very few Portuguese people speak Spanish, but most can understand it. Unfortunately, if you speak to them in Spanish, they will respond to you in Portuguese, and you will not understand it. Even my Brazilian friends frequently have trouble understanding continental Portuguese. But do not despair, because English is very widely spoken, much more so than in Spain. I wouldn't worry about communication, because the Portuguese people are friendly and kind, and you will be able to communicate in one way or the other, I'm certain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Steve,
Very few Portuguese people speak Spanish, but most can understand it. Unfortunately, if you speak to them in Spanish, they will respond to you in Portuguese, and you will not understand it. Even my Brazilian friends frequently have trouble understanding continental Portuguese. But do not despair, because English is very widely spoken, much more so than in Spain. I wouldn't worry about communication, because the Portuguese people are friendly and kind, and you will be able to communicate in one way or the other, I'm certain.

Thats good to know. Thanks for your help

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Steve,
I never had any problems speaking Spanish-Castellano - in Portugal and allways found what I wanted.
In the meantime started a study Brasilean Portuguese so during the last caminho earlier this year it was no real issue anymore because I more and more recognize the differences between Portuguese and Castellano.
By the way the grammatics are almost the same..almost..:)

I was in madeira earlier in the year and found Portugese easy to understand when it was written but, with many words completely different from Spanish, I kinda lost my way and ended up talking (mostly) nonsense. Gestures and hand signals will get me by hopefully :)

I was in madeira earlier in the year and found Portugese easy to understand when it was written but, with many words completely different from Spanish, I kinda lost my way and ended up talking (mostly) nonsense. Gestures and hand signals will get me by hopefully :)
I can imagine at Madeira of all places. The Portuguese word for dialect is "sotaque"
I was following some friends of us on the internet staying at the Açores the other day and downloaded the news of the Açores on my ipad so among others knew about the weather .
They used some other words as in Portugal. Even Brasilean Portuguese is different or the Portuguese spoken on Cabo Verde or Angola or Moçambique.
The Portuguese people in Portugal do understand you if you speak Castellano.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's reassuring. Its the same in the UK. Some of the local accents are very different from standard English. They had to put subtitles for a scottish comedy television show when it was shown in England!

Hello Steve
My name is Paul. My wife and I are leaving lisbon on the 5th by bicycle. We are old and slow so you my see us in a ditch or stream on the way.

BOM CAMINHO! Paul

That's reassuring. Its the same in the UK. Some of the local accents are very different from standard English. They had to put subtitles for a scottish comedy television show when it was shown in England!
Howay man ! I used to visit many years friends in Geo'dy land..Sunderland Howay the lads.
I agree with you. Many different dialects.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back