• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting out....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am in the preparatory stage for my May, 2022 walk from SJPP to Santiago, and I must admit that I am beginning to feel a bit....Well, overwhelmed....Especially by the first day’s segment from SJPP to Roncesvalles! Anyone out there who can lend a few words of wisdom on this first day of the journey?
Yes. Stay at Orisson to break up that first stage. They fill up quickly, so as soon as your dates are certain book it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The walk from SJPDP to Roncesvalles is walkable in a day. The vast majority do so. Start as early as possible, as watching the sun rise change the colours on the land is lovely.

If you have some inability to walk that far, Orrison is an option, or you can take two days to do the walk using the shuttle to take you back to St Jean for the night and return you to the stopping point the second morning.

Descriptions of Orrison’s communal dinner have always made it too touchy-feelly for my liking.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Or start in Pamplona? There’s nothing magical about St Jean.
My mom always used to say "You don't miss what you don't know". I enjoyed the Valcarlos route so much that I chose it twice over doing the Napoleon and have not regretted it.

The walk from SJPDP to Roncesvalles is walkable in a day.
Interestingly, I rarely seem to read on the forum those who choose to do this; the majority speak of stopping at Orrison.

Interestingly, I rarely seem to read on the forum those who choose to do this; the majority speak of stopping at Orrison.
Considering that Orisson has 28 beds compared with the large albergue in Roncesvalles with 183, which is sometimes completely full, it's clear that most people don't stop at Orisson. 😉
Orisson is mentioned a lot here precisely because so many people, like @starwonder54 are concerned about this first stage.

Considering that Orisson has 28 beds compared with the large albergue in Roncesvalles with 183, which is sometimes completely full, it's clear that most people don't stop at Orisson. 😉
Orisson is mentioned a lot here precisely because so many people, like @starwonder54 are concerned about this first stage.
I totally get that. My point made only refers to the majority we "read" about on the forum are the ones who go to Orrison, and we read few accounts of those who walk all the way to Roncevalles in one day.

I don't anticipate walking from St Jean pied de Port again, but if I did I think that I would walk the Valcarlos route. I found the Napoleon route busier than I am comfortable with. Once was enough.
There are very few that walk on the Valcarlos route. A few stops for food along the way, a couple of cute villages, a nice muni, and a variety of great views, and only one short stretch of road walking imo that a few others have mentioned.

The walk from SJPDP to Roncesvalles is walkable in a day. The vast majority do so. Start as early as possible, as watching the sun rise change the colours on the land is lovely.

If you have some inability to walk that far, Orrison is an option, or you can take two days to do the walk using the shuttle to take you back to St Jean for the night and return you to the stopping point the second morning.

Descriptions of Orrison’s communal dinner have always made it too touchy-feelly for my liking.
Thank you...I am doing my walk through “Follow the Camino” in Dublin, and am booked into the Casa de Benificiades in Roncesvalles on my first night...So not an option not to walk the whole way...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't anticipate walking from St Jean pied de Port again, but if I did I think that I would walk the Valcarlos route. I found the Napoleon route busier than I am comfortable with. Once was enough.
I agree with Albertagirl. Although now at 82 my long distance walking days are over, in happier times I walked the
Valcarlos alternate 11 times. It is the only route open during winter.

Last edited:
Thank you...I am doing my walk through “Follow the Camino” in Dublin, and am booked into the Casa de Benificiades in Roncesvalles on my first night...So not an option not to walk the whole way...

I always start just before sunrise as I walk slowly. Pace yourself as you go, so you don’t expend all your energy before you get to the top. Stop for a rest and snack at Orrison and top up your water supply.

When you reach the other side of the hill and the final descent is before you, there is an option of straight ahead and down through the forest OR to the right and following a road down (there are obvious paths to cut through switchbacks). The road option is only 400 metres longer than the straight down route, but is easier on the body, and takes you past the chapel at Ibañeta.

Enjoy the views and savour the arrival at Roncesvalles.

I walked SJPP to Roncesvalles in day and did not find it a hardship, just the opposite, it was lovely. I was 57 years old at the time and in reasonably good health, though 30+ pounds overweight. I had walked parts of the Camino before, but not this section. Back then, I would have found it difficult to stop in Orisson unless I had started out from SJPP in the late morning. I started at 730am and needed/wanted a longer day of walking.

There is a lot of great advice and good insight on the forum but it's just that, advice, mostly grounded in our own experiences. At the end of the day, it's your walk,. I have found that some of the most remarkable experiences I have had on the Camino were the result of a "mistake" or miscalculation or something I could not have possibly planned or prepared for. Obviously, I'm not referring to doing something physically dangerous.

If going up and over via the Napolean route sounds daunting, then walk the Valcarlos. If a stop in Orisson sounds like a good way to acclimate to the Camino/walking, do that. As mentioned, lots of people stop and they love it. If you want to start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona, do that; LOTS of people do. I have Spanish family members who chastised me when I said I was "starting" in SJPP as they gave me a lesson regarding why the Camino actually begins in Roncesvalles (or even Oviedo!).

Do mind your pies and take good care of them. The walk down the mountain to Roncesvalles can be rough on the feet. Enjoy the planning and preparation as far as it can take you without actually being on the Camino. trust there as much help along as you'll need or want and then put one foot in front of the other. Enjoy!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My mom always used to say "You don't miss what you don't know". I enjoyed the Valcarlos route so much that I chose it twice over doing the Napoleon and have not regretted it.

If you're like me then you were too tired to speak when you got to Roncesvalles! It wasn't the climb it was the descent at the end that did for me.

Orisson seems to be the extrovert's option. The thought of being forced to stand up in front of complete strangers and improvise a reason for doing the Camino appals me. It's like the start of a bad training course.

If going up and over via the Napolean route sounds daunting, then walk the Valcarlos. If a stop in Orisson sounds like a good way to acclimate to the Camino/walking, do that. As mentioned, lots of people stop and they love it. If you want to start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona, do that; LOTS of people do. I have Spanish family members who chastised me when I said I was "starting" in SJPP as they gave me a lesson regarding why the Camino actually begins in Roncesvalles
It sounds like @starwonder54 has already booked with a tour company, so the stages/route are already locked in.

The good news is that they aren't going until next May, so there's over a year to prepare and get in shape.

I was just thinking that! I’ve walked the so-called Napoleon route 4 times and if there is a next time, I’ll take the Valcarlos route. At least it’ll be new 😎

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can Follow the Camino transport your pack from St. Jean to Roncesvalles? Or use JacoTrans on your own. It would lighten your load. All you need is a daypack.

There has been a number of posts here talking about which route to take. I have only done the Valcarlos route (because lightning was forecast and a ridge is not a good place to be). I did create a profile of both routes and discovered that the distances/elevation gain/steepness is not much different between the two routes. The little ups and downs on the Valcarlos route add up almost to the big up of the Napoleon ridge route. Click on the pic to get the details.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No one can tell you, you will be fine doing it-all in one day. They were fine! My motto is know thyself! You are the best judge of what you can do. If you take the Napoleon route it is a substantial climb. There are options!

Most folks send their bags/packs ahead to lighten the load that day and decrease the chances of blisters.

if after you have trained, and you are still concerned about the distance and being exhausted....but then have to continue on with a prebooked tour, cut down on the mileage the first day. Take a Shuttle and shorten the day. There are a good number of people who leave the Camino prematurely because they hurt themselves, or got severely blistered feet stemming from this day. They couldn’t recover and hadto return home.
See https://www.expressbourricot.com/
This service gives you an option to decrease the length and difficulty of the day. The climb to Orisson is the steepest part. But I have seen many people getting dropped off though at higher locations as well.

The secret to success on a camino is having the humility to stay within your capabilities- know what you can do, and go at your own speed. Do not try to stay with other faster walkers. Whatever your pace is, is perfect! Be gentle on yourself the first few days. Makes sure you build in a couple of rest days into your itinerary.

Last edited:
I've done the Napoleon three times, and the Valcarlos once. Don't be misled about the Valcarlos; it does not go as high as the Napoleon, but all of the climbing is in the last stretch. I break both routes into two days - staying in Huntto or Orisson on the Napoleon, staying in Valcarlos on the other route.

The Frances was my first camino and my friend and I walked to Roncesvalles on the first day. Never considered doing anything else and did not find it in any way difficult. Maybe because we had no prior knowledge that it was supposed to be difficult!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Flying from the US to Europe I always arrive in their morning and although my head feels stuffed with cotton I always manage to make good use of that first day, and on day two I feel quite normal.
Going back home however, it often takes me almost five days to fully get over jet lag. I never understand why that is.

I walked to Roncesvalles from SJPDP in 2016. I was 58, my friend was 70 and had suffered a heart arrhythmia a few weeks prior to going, and didn't have her normal level of strength. We left just before 7am, didnt push ourselves and got in around 2.00pm. It was a beautiful clear day and the walk was amazing.
It is very doable, and if you get to Roncesvalles earlier you get the nice cubicle beds.

My wife and I have hiked Camino Frances three times. The first was in 2015 shortly after I retired - at age 57. We hiked the Napoleon route. We left our albergue at 7:00 am and walking at a normal pace and taking a few water breaks, we arrived at Orisson at 9:30 am. I remember thinking, "what would I do the rest of the day if we stayed here?" And I don't think the group "kumbaya" session is something we'd like. Orisson is the only place to stop to use the toilet and my wife has declared she will never pee / poop on the trail. So for that reason she prefers the Valcarlos route. The other thing we recall is the gruelling down hill descent through the forest. That alone caused blisters, which developed into severe knee pain.

The second (2017) and third (2019) caminos we hiked the Valcarlos route. We really enjoyed that route. There are places to stop along the way for snacks / toilet breaks in a few nice, small towns. The route is also diverse, which we enjoyed. Some hiking along roads, through forests, along streams. All three caminos we arrived at Roncesvalles by 3:00 pm, taking several breaks along the way, including an extended lunch break.

If travel restrictions are lifted, we are planning to hike CF again in Sept-Oct. We are sending our backpacks ahead and will hike with day packs. We will tentatively hike the Napoleon route again since it has been six years since we hiked that route. Bob

Don't pack any more stuff than you need. You won't need any toiletries. No one cares what you smell like or look like on The Camino. DO bring a small amount of emergency toilet paper. It is a long walk up and then a long walk down. Make sure your shoes are good. Get a pair with lots of toe room. Use sticks to steady yourself. Carry TWO bottles of water. Try to stay at the albergue in Orisson. That will break up a long and arduous trek. Buen Camino.

I am in the preparatory stage for my May, 2022 walk from SJPP to Santiago, and I must admit that I am beginning to feel a bit....Well, overwhelmed....Especially by the first day’s segment from SJPP to Roncesvalles! Anyone out there who can lend a few words of wisdom on this first day of the journey?
Four choices as far as I am concerned-
1. Walk/climb SJPDEP to Orrison and stay overnight - book in advance
2. Walk St Jean to Roncesvalles, one stage. Challenging but very doable if you take it easy.
3. St Jean to Orrison, taxi back to St Jean for overnight if no accommodation available.Taxi back to Orrison, continue your walk on to Roncesvalles.
4. Forget Napoleon route. I know, you are ignoring me now!?! Walk via Valcarlos! It is the original route.
Finally, don't fret! You can do this. Its only day one! Chill, take it easy. Millions have walked before you. Biggest mistake is to set out fast and burn out. Slow down.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You won't need any toiletries. No one cares what you smell like or look like on The Camino.
I don't care what anybody looks like, but please 🙏 pack a bar of soap and clean yourself and your sweaty clothes up at the end of each day, especially when opting for communal accommodation. Thank you!

No soap = plenty of room at the bar ;)

Meanwhile, the OP's package commits them to walking StJpdP to Roncesvalles in one go. All the helpful advice on happy communal meals in Taxis and getting a lift in the Auberge Orrison really don't help at all. Valcarlos may well have the best bar/restaurant in the whole of Valcarlos but our member will not have time to test that out as they have to get to their accommodation in Roncesvalles on the same day as they leave St Jean.
Helpful advice might contain suggestions like: start early; start slowly; drink lots (of water) and, as your bed is reserved, don't worry just walk.

Flying from the US to Europe I always arrive in their morning and although my head feels stuffed with cotton I always manage to make good use of that first day, and on day two I feel quite normal.
Going back home however, it often takes me almost five days to fully get over jet lag. I never understand why that is.
I have flown many times to USA (SF) from Europe and those 9 hours time difference flying west take me 2-3 days to overcome. Flying east is much easier for me. I don't know why.

As for starting points: I have started 1 time from SJpdP. It (the Route Napoleon) is no doubt the hardest day on the CF, and it is DAY1. I stopped (pre-booked) in Orrison and I was happy about that decision. I have started several times in Pamplona, and have always been happy with that. Easy & beautiful first days.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think many of the replies on this thread, even if not relating exactly to the OP's original question, are still helpful to some members and lurkers reading this thread. We do not know how many are absorbing all the varied input and information for their future Caminos...it's all good.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am with a camino group in Vancouver and lots of us have spent the first night in Orisson. It makes a short 2-3 hour day to make the climb but the views are spectacular and one can take one's time, and it is very pleasant to sit on the deck and relax after the exertions of travelling to Spain or France (getting to SJPP from Madrid or Paris) and the camaraderie that develops at the communal dinner is great. Its a relatively gentle way to "get into" one's camino. The next day we went through Roncesvalles to Espinal to set us up for a serious trek into Pamplona on Day 3.

t.

When about to start my first Camino, I read the forum and how people were concerned about that first stretch. It worried me as I was not used to hike, let alone carrying a backpack. So I booked Orisson for the first night.
Well, I reached Orisson at about 10 or 11 o’clock in the morning (we left St Jean late after breakfast) and frankly, I didn’t feel like stopping there...
So I stopped for a snack and a coffee and cancelled my bed. (That was before ‘pre-paid’ times).
I made it to Roncesvalles without any problems, early afternoon, albeit slowly and enjoying every minute of it.
It isn’t as difficult as some people make it to be. Really.
And should you find it too hard (because I have no idea about your level of fitness), surely your tour people would come and help you out?
What I really want to say is... don’t worry!
And you have one whole year to prepare for it! 😁😉

I also went the Valcarlos route. Truly, my afternoon, night, and the next morning stand out for me as an extraordinary experience. I loved everything about Valcarlos! I also did not regret it Camino Chrissy!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Please let's remember that there is nothing wrong about getting to Santiago however you want to, or are able to. If you want the compostela, you will inquire about and follow any regulations set by those who give them out. They only apply to travel on the last 100 km, or 200, if travelling by bicycle (I don't remember exactly about the horses). As a pilgrim journeying to Santiago, you have a sense of your calling and are able to pray in the cathedral, to visit the relics of the saint, and to make your confession to a priest and receive communion, if you are a catholic. None of this has anything to do with how you travel. Buen camino.

Your feet! Apart from the essential, obvious preparation, (good footwear, well broken-in; well-fitted pack, not too heavy; adequate hydration), carry extra pairs of socks, pinned outside your pack and plan to stop every 2 hours, remove shoes & socks to air your feet, massage in a bit of Vaseline or foot rub, then put on a fresh pair of socks before continuing for another 2 hours and your next rest stop. Yes, it will take longer but the stops allow you to admire the spectacular scenery and avoid the friction that will swiftly turn into blisters. This advice was given to me the Podiatrist I had to consult in Estella, for treatment of the blisters I acquired that first day en route to Roncesvalles. The sock changes seemed to be the most important element- you can pin the used, sweaty pair outside your pack and change into the dry pair, then alternate them through the day at your rest stops, as they dry quickly in the sun. But, if you forge on in sweaty, hot socks, you'll pay for it - I did. If the worst happens, Google for a podiatrist and get treatment early. Best €21 I spent on the entire Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No soap = plenty of room at the bar ;)

Meanwhile, the OP's package commits them to walking StJpdP to Roncesvalles in one go. All the helpful advice on happy communal meals in Taxis and getting a lift in the Auberge Orrison really don't help at all. Valcarlos may well have the best bar/restaurant in the whole of Valcarlos but our member will not have time to test that out as they have to get to their accommodation in Roncesvalles on the same day as they leave St Jean.
Helpful advice might contain suggestions like: start early; start slowly; drink lots (of water) and, as your bed is reserved, don't worry just walk.

@Tincatinker...really sorry to disagree! A prebooked tour likely only commits them to lodgings amd some meals. I have seen a number-of tour pilgrims realize that the distance was too great while on the route and opt for a taxi! They had no other way to get to their destination for that night.

Personally, I think that having the shuttle from St. Jean Pied de Port to Orrison or even-to The Statue Our Lady is an excellent option! If by the time Starwonder54 arrives in SJPdP s/he believes the distance is too grueling, 25.1km (32km for height adjustment), followed by 22km with a challenging downhill to Zubiri on the second day, S/he can start the camino a bit higher on the mountain. This does not impact her accommodation schedule. I have also seen group leaders encourage people who might struggle with a certain distance to use a taxi or shuttle.

In fact, a small group of pilgrims, a formal tour group with leader, who at stayed the same accommodation as we did, took the group by shuttle to Our lady’s statue from SJPdP and walked from there to Roncevalles.

Last edited:

Like others said more eloquently here : all about intention!
I regularly tell this story. I have had the great privilege of walking many Caminos ending in Santiago de Compostela. Sometimes I felt a pilgrim, sometimes a tourist.
But I do know ( well I am certain ! ) that my grandmother ( then in her mid eighties ) who travelled by bus to a local pilgrimage church here in Belgium and more or less walked the hundred metres from the parking lot tot the church was more a true pilgrim than I with my more than 2000 kilometres will ever be.

Intention is key.
Compassion is key also!

Personally, I think that having the shuttle from St. Jean Pied de Port to Orrison or even-to The Statue Our Lady is an excellent option!
Yes, if @starwonder54 arrives in SJPDP a day earlier they can spend two night there and shuttle between town and a point on the Camino using Express Bourricot's Mountain Shuttle.

Screenshot_20200130-043536_Firefox.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don't pack any more stuff than you need. You won't need any toiletries. No one cares what you smell like or look like on The Camino. DO bring a small amount of emergency toilet paper. It is a long walk up and then a long walk down. Make sure your shoes are good. Get a pair with lots of toe room. Use sticks to steady yourself. Carry TWO bottles of water. Try to stay at the albergue in Orisson. That will break up a long and arduous trek. Buen Camino.
On my first Camino Frances I was preceded by a Spanish peregrino who carried his daily needs in a supermarket carrier bag. I wasn’t aware of ‘luggage transfer’ at the time, but it was clear that his main pack contained few - if any - toiletries.

fellow peregrinos soon described him as ‘el hombre que huele a cabra’.

Whilst I subscribe to keeping your pack light, I still carry soap and deodorant!

*the man who smells like a goat

Hi starwonder54
I haven't done the Camino Frances. The camino that I have done are quiet and solitary. One thing that you have going for you on the Camino Frances is that you are never alone. It is the busiest of all the Camino and you will always have support and friendly pilgrims to rely on. I am on the Camino de Levante and hope to return in 2022. Didn't meet anyone on the first 400 klm in 2019. On the Frances, no need to be overwhelmed, your best support will be right next to you. Buen Camino. And I understand that you don't have to walk all the way to Roncesvalles on day one. I hope to be back on the Levante around the same time.

Hi starwonder54 and welcome!
You were feeling a bit overwhelmed by the thought of the hike from SJPP to Roncesvalles. Now you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed by this thread... I am! 😗
Just a few hopefully reassuring points from me -
1 you've not mentioned your health/fitness. This is more important than your age (which we might hazard to guess from the '54 in your handle..?). If you are not very fit, but able to work on your fitness and do regular walks (eventually with a pack) - and you have plenty of time to get into that - it will really help and increase confidence. It's important to not think of Roncesvalles as the end-goal, because the very next morning you will have to 'go-again' and again and again, so stamina and mental resolve are equally important.
2 get your pack/weight sorted out as much as you can. FIrst timers tend to carry too much, so have a look at the multitiude of threads on this (also a bit overwhelming!)
3 everyone has a view of the status/challenge of this stage - try and assess the capabilities of the teller, as, in the exhilaration of it all some folks get a bit carried away with their descriptions of their adventures
4 go nice and easy on the climb up to Orisson. This is the steepest part and if you take it gently you'll have plenty left for the longer but milder stretch thereafter. It's actually not a long stage, and there'll be plenty of daylight in May - time is on your side and while others may whiz past you to make sure they secure a bed at Roncesvalles, you don't have that issue.
5 on the one hand, note that thousands of people of all descriptions walk this stage every (normal) year, so be reassured by that. But at the same time don't be lulled into a false sense of security. Make sure you check in at the volunteers' office in SJPP and hear their weather report and take their advice if they recommend going via the lower route.
From a distance it can sound daunting, but with a little bit of prep (depending of course on your capabilities) it should be fine and hugely memorable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi starwonder54 and welcome!
You were feeling a bit overwhelmed by the thought of the hike from SJPP to Roncesvalles. Now you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed by this thread... I am! 😗
Just a few hopefully reassuring points from me -
1 you've not mentioned your health/fitness. This is more important than your age (which we might hazard to guess from the '54 in your handle..?). If you are not very fit, but able to work on your fitness and do regular walks (eventually with a pack) - and you have plenty of time to get into that - it will really help and increase confidence. It's important to not think of Roncesvalles as the end-goal, because the very next morning you will have to 'go-again' and again and again, so stamina and mental resolve are equally important.
2 get your pack/weight sorted out as much as you can. FIrst timers tend to carry too much, so have a look at the multitiude of threads on this (also a bit overwhelming!)
3 everyone has a view of the status/challenge of this stage - try and assess the capabilities of the teller, as, in the exhilaration of it all some folks get a bit carried away with their descriptions of their adventures
4 go nice and easy on the climb up to Orisson. This is the steepest part and if you take it gently you'll have plenty left for the longer but milder stretch thereafter. It's actually not a long stage, and there'll be plenty of daylight in May - time is on your side and while others may whiz past you to make sure they secure a bed at Roncesvalles, you don't have that issue.
5 on the one hand, note that thousands of people of all descriptions walk this stage every (normal) year, so be reassured by that. But at the same time don't be lulled into a false sense of security. Make sure you check in at the volunteers' office in SJPP and hear their weather report and take their advice if they recommend going via the lower route.
From a distance it can sound daunting, but with a little bit of prep (depending of course on your capabilities) it should be fine and hugely memorable.
Absolutely spot on! 🙂

This opinion is coming from someone who did not really "train" before starting my adventure :) I found this section difficult. We split it up - stopped at Orrison then continued on the next day. It was a long day getting to Ronsecvalles - weather was cold, windy. In my opinion this day was one of the hardest on the Camino.

This opinion is coming from someone who did not really "train" before starting my adventure :) I found this section difficult. We split it up - stopped at Orrison then continued on the next day. It was a long day getting to Ronsecvalles - weather was cold, windy. In my opinion this day was one of the hardest on the Camino.
I have never trained before my caminos, so this will be a first this year, since my new knee needs working into shape. But I remember the walk up to Orisson. I was 68 years old and I did not find it difficult at all. I was a long time mountain walker, and I knew to adjust my pace to the terrain and just keep on going. I took very few rests, stopping occasionally to adjust my boots and socks. I never got out of breath, because I never pushed it. You need to practise on some mountain terrain before you start, to be familiar with the bodily feeling of steep up and down climbs. Know how to adjust your pace to the terrain, then walk in joy and do not be afraid. I found that a hiking stick helped me maintain my stability at times, and you may want to try out some sort of walking aid: stick, hiking poles, etc. Teach your body how to walk on mountain terrain before you leave home, and you will be fine.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have never trained before my caminos, so this will be a first this year, since my new knee needs working into shape. But I remember the walk up to Orisson. I was 68 years old and I did not find it difficult at all. I was a long time mountain walker,
You didn't train specifically for the Camino, but you already had done enough training in your regular activities.

I am with a camino group in Vancouver and lots of us have spent the first night in Orisson. It makes a short 2-3 hour day to make the climb but the views are spectacular and one can take one's time, and it is very pleasant to sit on the deck and relax after the exertions of travelling to Spain or France (getting to SJPP from Madrid or Paris) and the camaraderie that develops at the communal dinner is great. Its a relatively gentle way to "get into" one's camino. The next day we went through Roncesvalles to Espinal to set us up for a serious trek into Pamplona on Day 3.
It’s 3 days, any way you look at it to Pamplona.... nice to consider the stages differently- particularly, if one has walked this way before

@starwonder54 I am sorry that in my first post I missed the information that you were committed to staying in Roncesvalles the first night.

One year I walked with a friend who had a severe lung incapacity, so I knew it was unlikely he'd be able to make it the whole way but he wanted to try. So we walked the Valcarlos route because it runs beside the road all the way, which meant that if he needed it he could call a taxi. This had the advantage that he was not absolutely committed to vehicle transport, but could use it if needed. And that is what happened. When it got too much, he sat down on the road and called a cab. He'd made sure he had the numbers before we left.

The Napoleon route has a road for the first part of the way, but after that you are up in the mountain, where transport can not reach you. Obviously if you make a decision beforehand you could catch a cab from SJPDP up the first stretch, but that might not psychologically be what you want to do.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So we walked the Valcarlos route because it runs beside the road all the way, which meant that if he needed it he could call a taxi.
Just to clarify, much of the Valcarlos route is on lovely paths should a person choose to avoid the road much of the time.

€46,-
Thanks for the photos. Another beautiful and solitary route onto the Frances is the Aragones, by bus to the French border at the Somport Pass, or on foot from Oloron Ste Marie to the Somport Pass. This latter tends to be wet. The route from St Jean pied de Port and the route from the Somport Pass join at Puenta la Reina.

I agree with Albertagirl. Although now at 82 my long distance walking days are over, in happier times I walked the
Valcarlos alternate 11 times. It is the only route open during winter.
I'm encouraged that some my own age is undertaking this venture! I am electing the Portuguese Camino for similar considerations -- laying over in Lisbon for a few days (that's where my overseas flight ends thus a few days to recover) before jumping the train to Porto where I'll do the coastal route to Santiago. Maybe Finesterre to follow, depending. Training walks started yesterday. I'll see how this goes before setting dates for my trek. Meanwhile, buen Camino !

I totally get that. My point made only refers to the majority we "read" about on the forum are the ones who go to Orrison, and we read few accounts of those who walk all the way to Roncevalles in one day.
For me, the first Camino I did was CF in 2008. The next (holding thumbs) will be in late August 2021. I am trying to recapture my initial Camino for many reasons and Orisson plays a significant role. That said, any pilgrim starting out should seek and, strongly consider, the information contained in the Forum and the CSJ (UK), in those two sites, you will find the most accurate and up to date information available. This is most important, whatever you choose as your plan, the Camino will step in and throw a curve ball. or monkey wrench into the works. Do your research and leave nothing up to what you hope will happen, but rather what happens day to day.
Due to Covid, past years required getting to an albergue and likely finding a room, but now there may be a need to book ahead for a bed. Stay up to date and trust your Camino will be the best experience you can imagine.
Arn

I'm encouraged that some my own age is undertaking this venture! I am electing the Portuguese Camino for similar considerations -- laying over in Lisbon for a few days (that's where my overseas flight ends thus a few days to recover) before jumping the train to Porto where I'll do the coastal route to Santiago. Maybe Finesterre to follow, depending. Training walks started yesterday. I'll see how this goes before setting dates for my trek. Meanwhile, buen Camino !
The best plans go out the window when the first shot is fired. In your case, walking the beach route will likely expose you to sand fleas.
Semper Fi

The best plans go out the window when the first shot is fired. In your case, walking the beach route will likely expose you to sand fleas.
Semper Fi
Hey, Arn. I'll take sand fleas over bed bugs any day! At least there are no land crabs (per S. Pacific Islands vs "other" interpretations - LOL). Lessons similar to sailing trips & USMC, to wit, 'The best battle plan falls apart at first contact with the enemy." I've seen many wonderful sailing adventures self-destruct due to strict adherence to a carefully planned schedule. Same with Caminos ... my concept? ... make a loose plan, throw away the watch & calendar, yield to weather effects and set out with the overriding concept of enjoying the experience rather than meeting deadlines or preset expectations.

Hey, Arn. I'll take sand fleas over bed bugs any day! At least there are no land crabs (per S. Pacific Islands vs "other" interpretations - LOL). Lessons similar to sailing trips & USMC, to wit, 'The best battle plan falls apart at first contact with the enemy." I've seen many wonderful sailing adventures self-destruct due to strict adherence to a carefully planned schedule. Same with Caminos ... my concept? ... make a loose plan, throw away the watch & calendar, yield to weather effects and set out with the overriding concept of enjoying the experience rather than meeting deadlines or preset expectations.
You are one intelligent human. Or, super human...then, of course, you are a Marine!
Semper Fi.
Arn

You are one intelligent human. Or, super human...then, of course, you are a Marine!
Semper Fi.
Arn
You, too, Marine ... Ooh Rah

I prefer to sit a little less casually with plans. If I don't carry camping supplies, I need someplace to sleep at night. And if I don't buy one way air tickets, I need to get myself to the airport for my flight home. So those are my limit conditions, always in the back of my mind, along with how I can change my plans in order to fulfill them. And how I can call for help if things totally get screwed up. I guess I am just not that adventurous.

When I made sailing deliveries to the Caribbean islands I would sometimes book round trips weeks out from anticipated return-flight dates. Almost without fail I could show up early for the return flight, sign onto "standby" status & be on the way home within 24 hrs.

Yeah, I slept in airports a few times but the savings were worth the wait. I don't know how this might work for the European continent but it might be worth an inquiry?

FWIW, Drew

No one cares what you smell like or look like on The Camino.

As far as 'smell, it depends on one's proximity to me. :)

Yes, not only do your fellow pilgrims who will be sleeping near you care how you smell, it's not fair to inflict a malodorous pilgrim on the people living in towns along the way! 🦨

I agree with you on that last point. No everyone feels comfortable disclosing their reason for walking the Camino. Some of us need that privacy.

If you're like me then you were too tired to speak when you got to Roncesvalles! It wasn't the climb it was the descent at the end that did for me.

Orisson seems to be the extrovert's option. The thought of being forced to stand up in front of complete strangers and improvise a reason for doing the Camino appals me. It's like the start of a bad training course.
You aren’t forced to do anything. I’m an introvert. I took it as an opportunity, other people opted to sit and listen. I had a great experience there and am glad I stayed. Unlike others here I wouldn’t have been able to do it in one day given the limited options for accommodation. And in fact the next day was made to feel very unwelcome by hospitaleiro at the large place in Roncesvalles. IMHO it’s better to stay at smaller places for all sorts of reasons.

You don’t have to finish first. Take it slow, turn around every so often to enjoy the view behind you. Don’t stay at albergues along the Napoleon route, nothing wrong with them but it’s a very doable days hike from SJPD to Roncevellas

While planning, I, too, had concerns about going all the way from SJPP to Roncesvalles but we thought the distance to Orrison was too short (we had limited time). Despite training for that long day, we still had concerns. Fortunately, we trained in the mountains so elevation gain was less a concern. The big day came, we started before first light, it was raining. We made it the whole way, stopping at Orrison for some hot soup. The rain, mostly light but sometimes heavy, didn't bother us at all!!! We had the right gear and the temperature was warm. In fact, the mist from the rain created mountain magic. We would hear the tinkle of bells then a flock of sheep would rise from the mist. A deeper bell clank prefaced the appearance of cows and horse bells had their own melody. In a wooded section the rain had stopped but the mist was heavy and I swear if a unicorn had loped across the path I wouldn't have been surprised. The sun finally appeared before we made the decent into Roncevalles. We arrived tired, hungry and thrilled. I think part of what sustained us that first day was the excitement of finally starting our Camino after months of planning and preparations. Everyone has to chose for themselves what will work - a shorter first day or the longer walk. Much will depend upon ability. Make sure you have done a good job of testing/breaking in your shoes and know that you can carry the weight of your full pack.

Train, walk up alot of long steep hills, for the most part Camino hills are steeper than trail hills in the United States. Rest when you are tired. Take off your pack drink some water, have a snack, take off your trail runners and in about 10 minutes start again. Don't fill your head with too much pre camino anxiety. It is going to be there accept it and until you walk you won't realize that most of it was crud. Everyone has it. If you do not know how to use poles you can buy some, they don't need to be expensive, and watch some YouTube videos on how to use them and train with thme. Just walk and breath and and keep putting one foot in front of the other and before you know it you will be lying on the floor in front of the albergue and outdoor deck in Orison feeling like you made it. Have something to eat rest and start again. When you get to the last 5k and it is wet or your knees hurt take the trail to the right. I never did it but I heard it is much easier. Remember if it is late fall or early spring check with the Pilgrim office before you go to see which route to take. If they recommend the Valcarlos route TAKE IT!!!!!

On the Camino, the best plan is to not have a plan, IMHO...
Having no plan works great especially if you are walking alone, as you are responsible for no one but yourself come what may. Add in one, two, or three additional family members or friends (as I have done) and it becomes more difficult to just wing it...just sayin'.

I started out carrying way too much stuff. I read the Camino book before I went and it made me paranoid. So I took too much stuff that I had to toss out. It is like that in any long march. The Union soldiers on the march to Bull Run for the first battle of our Civil War started out carrying extra boots, hair oil, brushes, pistols, Bowie knives, tents, extra clothes, whiskey, etc. They tossed most of it away before they reached Virginia. And at the end of the war they would have just a blanket roll tied over their shoulders. That is how it was with me on The Camino. I had to lighten my load down to bare necessities. That only comes with experience. The most important two things I learned was always carry TWO water bottles and MAKE SURE YOUR SHOES OR BOOTS are good. Get a couple of sizes larger to leave lots of toe room. The descent to Roncesvalles and especaiy down to Zubiri will let you know how well your shoes fit. I saw way too many bloody and blistered feet at Zubiri. Walking sticks are also very handy. Remember that you can buy most everything in the towns that you pass through on the way to Santiago. We could even buy ointment with pot oil in it for our sore feet and knees!!! Buen Camino!!!

Having no plan works great especially if you are walking alone, as you are responsible for no one but yourself come what may. Add in one, two, or three additional family members or friends (as I have done) and it becomes more difficult to just wing it...just sayin'.
Indeed, and therein lies a big trap. We all walk different kms., different speed, etc. etc. I believe quite a few friendships/relationships have been broken on the Camino. Of course, one can also make strong bonds. It all depends. Personally, I prefer to walk alone with my thoughts.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Indeed, and therein lies a big trap. We all walk different kms., different speed, etc. etc. I believe quite a few friendships/relationships have been broken on the Camino. Of course, one can also make strong bonds. It all depends. Personally, I prefer to walk alone with my thoughts.
Thankfully I have had no broken relationships, only good memories. The problem at times that was rather stressful was finding lodging to accommodate us when winging it, so eventually we resorted to booking ahead when there were more than two of us.

MAKE SURE YOUR SHOES OR BOOTS are good. Get a couple of sizes larger to leave lots of toe room.
I am in the process of shopping for new boots and sandals, both of which I wore out on my last camino. From long experience, I would say that not all walkers need boots in a larger size than usual. I once bought a pair of boots 1/2 size larger than my usual boots. They were loose, and uncomfortable. Eventually, I donated them, nearly unworn, to a homeless shelter, and bought walking boots in my regular size. This is because I was an experienced mountain walker and my regular walking boot size is what works for me. This is not the same size as my city walking shoes. I now try to find my regular brand of boots (Timberland, for me: cheap and comfortable on my feet) in my regular size and fit them with my usual inserts and socks. They are likely to be my most important purchase for my next pilgrimage and worth the effort to get them right. I would say that this is true whatever you choose for footwear.

Yes. Stay at Orisson to break up that first stage. They fill up quickly, so as soon as your dates are certain book it.

I

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you are unable to get a place at Orrison take a taxi back to SJPDP and return by taxi to Orrison in the morning.

Yes, I took the Valcarlos route and was not disappointed. I had done some research prior to leaving and I was intrigued by the Valcarlos route. The weather was the ultimate deciding factor.

I agree with H
Or start in Pamplona? There’s nothing magical about St Jean.
I agree with Henrythedog. I have walked 3 times and begun at Pamplona twice. However the question of beginning at SJPD is not difficult. We are good for what we train for.

If you don't take the Camino to Roncesvalles and Zubiri you won't experience the relief and the sense of accomplishment of walking over the Pyrenees in the footprints of Napoleon's Army. Anyway, that is my opinion. It was a grueling march but I am glad I did it.

Funny how we are all so different. The communal dinner was my favourite part of my overnight at Orrison.
I agree about the community dinner at the beginning, some walkers want a good night's sleep in SJPP and go to a hotel , all fine . But if you go to a popular albergue with a community dinner you will be introduced to perhaps a dozen people that you will see and walk with the whole way , some are better than others , but it's nice to see a familiar face in a Cafe or albergue .

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.